• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC pricing confirmed ($7.99 each or $11.99 for both, 16 tracks)

Lijik

GIF UPDATED

BowedGregariousHydra.gif

just when you think you cant improve on perfection...

lt519

$12, wow. I thought Mario Golf season pass nailed it for the price and NSLU was basically a 50% expansion for $20 but this is outrageous. 50% more game for $12, holy shit.

Factoring in the free game and DDP; Mario Kart 8 was already one of the best gaming deals this year and it just got better.

Keep doing your thing Nintendo, even if it bankrupts you in 20 years I'm along for the ride.

Salty Hippo

Incredible price for the content. Just wish more beloved characters such as Samus and Fox were available. Also, F-Zero track, car and no Cpt. Falcon?

I hope they don't split the community up with the tracks. Do you think they will allow users who don't have the tracks to play with users that do? Make it so only users that do are able to select it online, obviously.

I thought it could've been like this before they revealed the download sizes. To do this they would need to force everyone to download 2GB+ of content, and that is crazy for anyone without external storage, especially Basic Wii U owners.

Shojx

Goodness, it's like Nintendo is trying to make it impossible for people not to buy this.

That's amazing pricing. As someone who's always been iffy about DLC, I'm looking at this very positively and I hope it sets a precedent for DLC from Nintendo in the future.

And we get to use the Yoshi and Shy Guy characters immediately if we preorder? Yep, gotta get on this ASAP.

ASIS

The only downside to this is the wait. Seriously why can't we have it today with the yoshis and shy guys? :(

Nerokis

Sakurai, take note, this is what you must set out to beat in quality and quantity and value for Smash Bros. DLC

Hahaha. Let's hope he does!

Nintendo would do well to keep this up. No one associates Nintendo with DLC, but in a weird way, they're uniquely suited to it with their "evergreen" policy. And seriously, the exact reasons it's weird to associate Nintendo with DLC (being in their own little bubble, basically) are also why Nintendo's brand would so benefit from developing a reputation for excellent post-launch support. This is Nintendo modernizing, but in their own way.

That said, imagining DLC for Zelda U is more difficult than imagining DLC for MK8/Smash Bros.

freakzilla3000

But it's so far off...is the community going to be active enough in November, nevermind mid 2015, to segregate the userbase as such online...

Not sure...However, maybe this will wet everyone's appetite and keep them excited for Mario Kart well into 2015. By releasing these DLC packs so far from each other, it will get us all playing the new courses and keep us excited for what's next. It may also help fill some game gaps in their lineup.

Keby

Has no one else besides BY2K noticed.

CANCEL PRE-ORDER on dlc. Who else does this?!

I can't even right now. I just CAN'T EVEN. Buying immediately when it's out.

mo60

I hope they don't split the community up with the tracks. Do you think they will allow users who don't have the tracks to play with users that do? Make it so only users that do are able to select it online, obviously.

I think it's best for them do it the way halo 4 kinda does it. The game will detect if any of the users in the lobby has the dlc race tracks and if everyone does not have the required maps the dlc race tracks won't appear as a choice.They can also create a special playlists to play these tracks, but I'm not sure if it will be too difficult to do that.

Neo Dark

Awesome news! Definitely buying both packs!

The only downside to this is the wait. Seriously why can't we have it today with the yoshis and shy guys? :(

Yoshis and shy guys are genderless. Female characters is just too much work and so will require more time and sadly both packs have a female character. Please understand.

toa95

I feel like I shouldn't want to pay $12 for DLC 3 months ahead of time but it's just such a good price and the 8 Shy Guys and 8 Yoshis give me the immediate satisfaction I need to pull the trigger. (The DDP helps as well seeing as it will give me enough to get Azure Striker Gunvolt on Friday. Amazing week for Nintendo fans)

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
$12, wow. I thought Mario Golf season pass nailed it for the price and NSLU was basically a 50% expansion for $20 but this is outrageous. 50% more game for $12, holy shit.

Factoring in the free game and DDP; Mario Kart 8 was already one of the best gaming deals this year and it just got better.

Keep doing your thing Nintendo, even if it bankrupts you in 20 years I'm along for the ride.

tumblr_lzvdpx1WY31qcay1ao1_500.gif

Not sure...However, maybe this will wet everyone's appetite and keep them excited for Mario Kart well into 2015. By releasing these DLC packs so far from each other, it will get us all playing the new courses and keep us excited for what's next. It may also help fill some game gaps in their lineup.

It also keeps people from trading it in, since they know that new content is only 6 months away, and it's an insane value.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were making packs until the Wii U successor comes out, honestly. They'll all sell absurdly well

Pyrokai

There's a catch for that low price, right? Like, these tracks have to be straight from the reject bin, right?

It's basically another half of MK8. How is it not $30? Someone please explain.

There's a catch for that low price, right? Like, these tracks have to be straight from the reject bin, right?

It's basically another half of MK8. How is it not $30? Someone please explain.
Nintendoes what others can't!
I mean cancelling pre order dlc????

AniHawk

the catch is that in november 2015 there will be mario kart 8 ultimate edition where all the things are included on a disc for $50.

I think it's best for them do it the way halo 4 kinda does it. The game will detect if any of the users in the lobby has the dlc race tracks and if everyone does not have the required maps the dlc race tracks won't appear as a choice.They can also create a special playlists to play these tracks, but I'm not sure if it will be too difficult to do that.

That would be fine, too. I just don't like the community being splintered due to map packs...

Especially with one coming much later on, with the population* most likely decreasing by that point.

Edit: typo

Nia

I'm spending my Rupees on the bundle the instant it goes up. Excellent price, and Link gets to try out a car for the first time in his life. The tracks are about to get even more dangerous.

Wow that's like the price of an extra value meal.
I paid around $12 for barbecue today. This is an outstanding deal. Fucking outstanding. I was willing/expecting to pay up to $40 for content like this for Mario Kart. Just make some battle arenas Nintendo, and this game will be nigh- perfect. I LOVE this new Nintendo!

Top Bottom