• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC pricing confirmed ($7.99 each or $11.99 for both, 16 tracks)

-Horizon-

GIF UPDATED

BowedGregariousHydra.gif
10 out of 10 would keep rewatching gif

alf717

What a steal! I got MK 8 for $49.99 a free game and $12 DLC with 16 tracks, six characters and 8 new vehicles and tomorrow an update with three more cars. I'm buying this ASAP.

Trago

This is good.

I anticipate that the reprinted version of this game will come out maybe a few years down the line with all the DLC.

Maybe bring back the "Million Seller Worldwide" tag.

big youth

Packing characters and stages together is very smart. That way if you're more interested in one than the other, you're still likely to buy both. Good move Nintendo.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
OH GOD, I just realized.

F-Zero & Excitebike music remixed/redone by the MK8 music team.

Please let us get footage & music samples soon.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I don't quite get why May for the second one. Seems like January would make more sense to cash it on people getting a WiiU/MK for the holidays.

That's probably how long it'll take Nintendo to finish developing this DLC — since it didn't simply make this content before release and hold it back. This is how you're supposed to do DLC.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Sooo wait. For the November pack. (The best DLC one by the way).

Triforce Cup.
1. Zelda track?
2. Zelda track?
3. Zelda track?
4. Zelda track?

Egg Cup (Nintendo tracks)
1. F-Zero track
2. Excitebike track
3. Wario track?
4. ?????

Or is it the other way around. Is Triforce cup the NIntendo All-Star tracks and Egg cup more classic Mario Kart tracks?

I wouldn't be surprised if they were making packs until the Wii U successor comes out, honestly. They'll all sell absurdly well

Stop spoiling the fun. You have just contradicted yourself. If the Wii U sells absurdly well as a result of the DLC's, there's no need to release a successor. The Wii U will be with us for a long long time.

BuzzJive

Don't forget the Amiibo support. That's still planned for MK8 here. Imagine if that fills the gap between pack 1 and 2 :-O

Zach

Even if I didn't think this was a good deal (it is), my son would pay for it himself. So yeah, day one.

Gleethor

Triforce Cup.
1. Zelda track?
2. Zelda track?
3. Zelda track?
4. Zelda track?

1. F-Zero track
2. Excitebike track
3. Wario track?
4. ?????

Or is it the other way around. Is Triforce cup the NIntendo All-Star tracks and Egg cup more classic Mario Kart tracks?

Almost positive it's the second. 4 Zelda tracks seems like overkill, 4 AC tracks even moreso.

truth411

Great Price, but my only objection is why so far out? I mean may 2015, MAY 2015!!! Should be available in September and November imo. I mean come on man May 2015!!! Ugh...

xandaca

Hopefully there'll be a deal for both sets in the UK as well. If there is, it'll probably only be £11 (~$18) to the US' $12, but would still be nice even if we're being overcharged here as always.

Sayter

I hope they don't split the community up with the tracks. Do you think they will allow users who don't have the tracks to play with users that do? Make it so only users that do are able to select it online, obviously.

Great question. I honestly think more people will have the new tracks. Especially at the price. But, there will be some that don't.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

Triforce Cup.
1. Zelda track?
2. Zelda track?
3. Zelda track?
4. Zelda track?

1. F-Zero track
2. Excitebike track
3. Wario track?
4. ?????

I'm guessing Triforce Cup will be the new courses (Zelda, F-Zero, Excitebike, & 1 more), then Egg Cup will be the retro courses.

popyea

OH GOD, I just realized.

F-Zero & Excitebike music remixed/redone by the MK8 music team.

Please let us get footage & music samples soon.

Oh shit, thank you for this realisation. Big band F-Zero would be heaven, I hope it happens.

NateDrake

Great Price, but my only objection is why so far out? I mean may 2015, MAY 2015!!! Should be available in September and November imo. I mean come on man May 2015!!! Ugh...

Development takes time? We have no idea how far along the content is.

I think they are using the DLC to promote select games: Zelda Cup to promote Hyrule Warriors for the holidays. Animal Crossing DLC in May likely hints at AC Wii U for E3 potentially.

Muzy72

Banned
Maybe the wait between Pack 1 and Pack 2 is so long because there's gonna be free DLC in between them? That'd actually be a nice schedule.

May 2014 - Launch
Aug 2014 - Free DLC / major update
Nov 2014 - Paid DLC
Feb 2015 - Free DLC / major update
May 2015 - Paid DLC

3 months between each.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Triforce Cup.
1. Zelda track?
2. Zelda track?
3. Zelda track?
4. Zelda track?

1. F-Zero track
2. Excitebike track
3. Wario track?
4. ?????

There needs to be a Smash Bros track, to mirror how there's been a Mario Kart stage in Smash Bros before. And whoever's fighting in the background has a chance of flinging items onto the track, or smashing their opponents into you, etc.

Ugh the potential. Star Fox themed locales with Arwing carts and conversations! Slippy! New items! Cruising through Brimstar with Samus...SSSSSSSSMMMMMMAAAAAASSSSSHHHHH KKKKKAAAAARRRRRRRTTTTTT!!!!
BY2K has infected meeeee

Pack 1 + Pack 2 Bundle - $11.99
6 Characters: Tanooki Mario, Cat Peach, Link, Villager, Isabelle and Dry Bowser
8 Vehicles
16 Courses

Got damn steal!

MisterHero

Jesus that's a great price for what is basically a 50% increase of game content.

Well played Nintendo. Well played.

I've got to keep asking: What will Amiibo support will do for this game?

AniHawk

Almost positive it's the second. 4 Zelda tracks seems like overkill, 4 AC tracks even moreso.

they could do a track for animal forest+, one for wild world, one for city folk, and one for new leaf.

it would be similar to zelda and making one for ocarina of time, the cartoon gamecube ocarina of time, the gamecube/wii ocarina of time, and the wii-only ocarina of time (the one with motion controls).

truth411

Development takes time? We have no idea how far along the content is.

I think they are using the DLC to promote select games: Zelda Cup to promote Hyrule Warriors for the holidays. Animal Crossing DLC in May likely hints at AC Wii U for E3 potentially.

Lol, yeah but MAY??? How about March, but MAY??? Lol.

There's a catch for that low price, right? Like, these tracks have to be straight from the reject bin, right?

It's basically another half of MK8. How is it not $30? Someone please explain.

A lot more work went into the game that costs $60. All the modes, characters, items, tracks, etc. had to be created. They just need to create new tracks, karts, and characters for this. $30 would be way too much, but $12 is surprisingly low.

RK128

So the DLC packs are only 12 bucks together? That is an amazing value! I mean, you are getting tons of tracks (about half a game's worth), four brand new characters (the Mario/Peach suits are just clones I think), new color skins for Yoshi and Shy Guy and even carts themed around other Nintendo games?!

.....Damn good DLC I think :D! I can't wait to see Link in action for this DLC when November drops :).

3DShovel

This is AMAZING. I'm so getting both. Mostly stoked for LINK IN MARIO KART though. And the Triforce cup.

Man, Nintendo DUN GOOD.

2GB is insane. Nintendo used to be good at keeping file sizes down.

All of double dash was under 1GB. And 64 was like 16mb.

I wonder if future Wii U models will come with bigger storage.

DizzyCrow

Maybe the wait between Pack 1 and Pack 2 is so long because there's gonna be free DLC in between them? That'd actually be a nice schedule.

May 2014 - Launch
Aug 2014 - Free DLC / major update
Nov 2014 - Paid DLC
Feb 2015 - Free DLC / major update
May 2015 - Paid DLC

3 months between each.
Kirby DLC on February to generate awareness to Rainbow Curse.

Top Bottom