• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8: first update (+ Mercedes DLC) finally available

Stulaw

Downloaded, and decided, maybe I can complete it now without the AI suddenly throwing every single item at me so I don't win in 150cc. Lo and behold, I win the first race on Dry Dry Desert, then proceed to get bombarded in every race after.

The Mercedes DLC's nice, I like the sounds of the engines.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_016bjw0.jpg

Atouba

If they remove the fire hopping, they have to reset all time trial records. Is here anyone, who truly thinks, this will happen?!

nerdbot

I'm not horribly bothered by the DLC ads but I do feel they're a little ridiculous and obtrusive. It'd be one thing if these DLC packs were coming soon, but the Animal Crossing DLC ads are going to be there until May. Surely they just could have had something run by on the main menu for the game.

Link should have a bike that just looks like Epona. Not a mechanical Epona or kart with an Epona head. It should look just like a horse running down the road, going up ramps, doing tricks and getting air.

GRW810

I said the vast majority of people who bought MK8 back in May are not still playing it today.
Unless you have some evidence that 51% or more of May buyers are no longer playing the game we might as well be talking about the length of a piece of string or the grains of sand in a bottle. It's a pointless, unsupported claim.

Roo

So has somebody tried not getting the Mercedes DLC and going online yet? Would be interesting to know if you still play with (and see) the mercedes karts.
From what I've seen in different forums, after the servers went down for maintenance, it seems like the update is mandatory for everyone in order to play online again.

HUELEN10

From what I've seen in different forums, after the servers went down for maintenance, it seems like the update is mandatory for everyone in order to play online again.
This worries me for the sake of the Basic SKU owners; since the installation of all these update plus the 2 DLC packs needs at least 3 GB of storage (more than what it actually is), does that mean that Basic owners CANNOT play online in the future without having to buy a USB HDD?

When NXE came out for the 360 in 2008, MS gave those basic owners free memory cards if they needed them, or discounts on HDDs. I wonder if Nintendo would do the same...

Assuming everyone needs to download the DLC in order for online compatibility and whatnot.

CoolS

Yes I suspected that much, but if I don't get the DLC from the eshop so I can't actually use the karts, I still see them online?

I'm wonderin that because I suspect everyone will be able to play the DLC track online after it's available, just that the people who didn't buy it can't play it offline.

Atouba

I'm pretty sure, that the mercedes cars are in the update. The DLC just unlocks them for you. Same thing for the upcoming dlc (atleast the new drivers and karts)

Hip Hop

This worries me for the sake of the Basic SKU owners; since the installation of all these update plus the 2 DLC packs needs at least 3 GB of storage (more than what it actually is), does that mean that Basic owners CANNOT play online in the future without having to buy a USB HDD?

When NXE came out for the 360 in 2008, MS gave those basic owners free memory cards if they needed them, or discounts on HDDs. I wonder if Nintendo would do the same...

Assuming everyone needs to download the DLC in order for online compatibility and whatnot.

Well, they do have 8gb under their belt so they are capable of playing online. No excuses there (But they will have to do some storage management of course).

HUELEN10

Well, they do have 8gb under their belt so they are capable of playing online. No excuses there (But they will have to do some storage management of course).

8 GB unit only has about 3 GB usable space; it would most likely not be enough.

Surprisingly enough the download was quick even from within China. The way they are showing the future characters could be considered evil but I'm really looking forward it.

I'm pretty sure, that the mercedes cars are in the update. The DLC just unlocks them for you. Same thing for the upcoming dlc (atleast the new drivers and karts)

I think it's the other way around. 12~MB for three Mario Kart 8 car models seems more than enough, and 12MB is too much for a simple unlock code.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I think it's the other way around. 12~MB for three Mario Kart 8 car models seems more than enough, and 12MB is too much for a simple unlock code.

They have to be in the update or else you wouldn't be able to see other players using them online if you don't own the DLC.

xandaca

oh shit, £11 for the DLC bundle! that's damn good

On its own terms, it's a very good price. When considered alongside the rest of the EU and particularly the US getting it a hell of a lot cheaper thanks to the exchange rate, it's kind of annoying. Will still be buying though.

Yeah but a lot of kids play MK. I think it's tacky and unsettling for Nintendo to shove corporate brands at children.

Kids are very impressionable so they're particularly vulnerable to this sort of marketing. Just this morning I saw a five year-old with a Mario cap on putting a down-payment on a Merc.

solomon

:( haven't used my pad in months and just noticed the select button doesnt work..... so I have to wait until they patch it in for other controls or get my pad fixed.
Edit I fixed it.

EhoaVash

arrg something is wrong with the update on my wii u. it says dlc download completed but it wont let me install the update T-T

I went to download management and its already completed but the install screen wint show up......and it wont let me delete the download so i can redownload it from data management either .....HELP SOMEONE

Jucksalbe

Banned
arrg something is wrong with the update on my wii u. it says dlc download completed but it wont let me install the update T-T

I went to download management and its already completed but the install screen wint show up......and it wont let me delete the download so i can redownload it from data management either .....HELP SOMEONE

Did it download the actual update yet or only the DLC? Maybe the DLC won't install unless the game is on the newest version.

Rich!

expanding the space available on the console doesn't need a bank loan like the vita memory cards. a good 32GB sd is like $10 on sale.

that wont work

You can't use an SD Card as Wii U storage - it has to be a dedicated USB drive that the Wii U encrypts.

EhoaVash

Did it download the actual update yet or only the DLC? Maybe the DLC won't install unless the game is on the newest version.

nothing is downloading anymore. it just says download complete, please select game from menu to install...when i press the game icon, the install screen isnt poppingbup ..also yes i have the game up to date? played it online last night before bed

Jucksalbe

Banned
nothing is downloading anymore. it just says download complete, please select game from menu to install...when i press the game icon, the install screen isnt poppingbup ..also yes i have the game up to date? played it online last night before bed

The update was released today alongside the DLC. It seems some people have problems with the game updating so that would explain why the DLC isn't installing for you.
Not sure what to do about that, people have suggested turning off the console to wait for the orange light to come up, but I don't know if that actually helps. For me it worked when I restarted the game.

EhoaVash

ok phew finally it installed after i not the notification from nintendo that dlc is out ...oh cool mk8 stats .and wtf it says i won over 2000 races ..no way i played that much

Mlatador

Banned
ok phew finally it installed after i not the notification from nintendo that dlc is out ...oh cool mk8 stats .and wtf it says i won over 2000 races ..no way i played that much

people you are faster than count as a win
people you are slower than count as a loss

jts

...hate me...
Just once but you need the gamepad for that lol

Holy shit where am I gonna get a Gamepad

If only it came packed with the Wii U

And it turned on every fucking time the Wii U is turned on

The dream of an onscreen map is truly over now :( I'm not one of those gamers that overreact for anything, but really, everything now is RUINED FOREVER :((((((((

Top Bottom