• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Info Thread

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I just finished with gathering all characters for Mario Kart 7, so I'm going to keep myself busy with Mario Kart 7, Mario Kart Wii and Sonic All Stars until Mario Kart 8 coming out next month.

CaVaYeRo

The character selection screen posted a couple of pages ago is obviously for 4p mode. Single player is nicer and has more info. And you can see/compare stats of the different parts by pressing +

Oh, and my bet for one of the yet to be unveiled characters is
Nabbit

Besides, don't know if it has been mentioned already, but as you can see on our latest gameplay mix, you can switch trick's pose based on joystick position when jumping :)

Is it known whether or not Mario Kart 8 will run at 60 fps with 2 players playing online? That was one of my biggest disappointments with Mario Kart Wii, I can understand 30 fps in 4p local, but 2p online should really be able to stick to 60 fps.

ffdgh

Is it known whether or not Mario Kart 8 will run at 60 fps with 2 players playing online? That was one of my biggest disappointments with Mario Kart Wii, I can understand 30 fps in 4p local, but 2p online should really be able to stick to 60 fps.

Can't remember if anything was said about online but it is 60 fps for 2 player offline so online would be a likely yes.

Zia

Any word on how many characters this will have, excluding the many Koopalings? I'm hoping for more than 7, which felt a little slim.

ffdgh

Any word on how many characters this will have, excluding the many Koopalings? I'm hoping for more than 7, which felt a little slim.

Currently we know 27 characters and 3 unknown ones which would put the roster at 30 for now.

mk8-2_zps13b80b8c.png

This isnt the complete roster either.

Linkhero1

The roster looks great. I imagine there will be another row below the Koopalings. There's no way they'd exclude being able to play as your Mii in this game.

There's also Diddy in that Magazine scan.

I imagine Dry Bowser or Dry bones is probably in there too.

Magazine scan?

I just finished with gathering all characters for Mario Kart 7, so I'm going to keep myself busy with Mario Kart 7, Mario Kart Wii and Sonic All Stars until Mario Kart 8 coming out next month.

Yeah I've been playing a to of MK7. Customizing your kart is such a great feature. Reminds, I need to get online and play some MK Wii before it goes down.

Gartooth

Yeah, I don't think that character select screen is the final one. Maybe the final one for the starting roster? Doesn't really make sense, because given that Diddy is most likely playable, wouldn't his space sit next to DK?

This might be a silly question but does MK8 feature the same ABXY controls or is it possible to use the left & right triggers to brake/accelerate?

I ask this because the ABXY buttons are in a bit of a strange spot compared to the thumbsticks on the Pro controller and I think a control scheme using the sticks, L/R and triggers would be more comfortable.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
This might be a silly question but does MK8 feature the same ABXY controls or is it possible to use the left & right triggers to brake/accelerate?

I ask this because the ABXY buttons are in a bit of a strange spot compared to the thumbsticks on the Pro controller and I think a control scheme using the sticks, L/R and triggers would be more comfortable.

Most likely both.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Currently we know 27 characters and 3 unknown ones which would put the roster at 30 for now.

mk8-2_zps13b80b8c.png

This isnt the complete roster either.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if as I remeber the characters in MKWii were 26 and in MK7 were 17, 30 characters would be not bad at all.

pdnyc

Neo Member
Has nintendo announced any preorder bonus for North America? I saw the ones for Europe, but didn't hear about the US.

Baleoce

You know, I don't necessarily think there needs to be a new double dash, but I do think that every new Mario Kart could have a double dash mode when playing multiplayer. DD GP and DD Battle modes would be sick, especially with anti grav.

TreIII

You know, I don't necessarily think there needs to be a new double dash, but I do think that every new Mario Kart could have a double dash mode when playing multiplayer. DD GP and DD Battle modes would be sick, especially with anti grav.

I'd agree with this. Especially since a "DD" mode might be the only means we can store up items, now.

Sponge

Banned
I'm pretty sure two of the characters are Diddy and Bowser Jr. Can't say who the last one would be. I don't expect anything else. It looks like they've been trying to get rid of Dry Bones and bring back Koopa for some reason.

I'm pretty sure two of the characters are Diddy and Bowser Jr. Can't say who the last one would be. I don't expect anything else. It looks like they've been trying to get rid of Dry Bones and bring back Koopa for some reason.

Though this is likely not the final roster, so I'm sure Dry Bones will be brought back with there being a track based around his and Dry Bowser's concept.

Hiltz

I'd like to see Chargin Chuck and Dixie Kong appear in Mario Kart 8. Come to think of it, maybe we'll see Nabbit appear in the game.

Baleoce

I'm pinning my hopes on Baby Wario and Waluigi xD As for another Mario character.

But, in terms of something original, I think they should have Kamek (leader of the magikoopas) as an unlockable character.

260px-KamekNSMBW.png

You could bring back the Magikruiser from MKWii during normal track sections. But I think even more brilliantly, during anti-grav, instead of converting to anti grav wheels, he conjures his broom to use, and then conjures his kart back when anti-grav finishes.

Danneee

I'm pinning my hopes on Baby Wario and Waluigi xD As for another Mario character.

But, in terms of something original, I think they should have Kamek (leader of the magikoopas) as an unlockable character.

260px-KamekNSMBW.png

You could bring back the Magikruiser from MKWii during normal track sections. But I think even more brilliantly, during anti-grav, instead of converting to anti grav wheels, he conjures his broom to use, and then conjures his kart back when anti-grav finishes.

This! And that American football dude from SMW would be perfect.

Timeaisis

260px-KamekNSMBW.png

He was recently announced for the new Mario Golf, so there's actually a chance.

Sendou

Fake item box is just reskinned banana peel. It only ever fools people that are new to the game. It's useless and there's no point in bringing it back.

Revven

Did that ever catch ANYBODY? Always seemed a waste to me. Can't even use it for defence.

I don't know, creating traps with the idea in mind that later on in the race you could plant a banana peel or another fake item box next to a fake item box was pretty useful... I know I got some people by doing that.

But I don't miss it I guess.

Top Bottom