• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart WiiU - Still stuttering?!

Simbabbad

Count me among the people who don't know what this stuff is about, and I 100%'d the game.

That the majority of the people have such slow perception they don't notice doesn't make it any less existant.

The constant micro stuttering makes it even less bearable for me than occasional stutter under load. Helps me skip a Nintendo generation, maybe they will do something right with the NX.
I very rarely make that sort of post, but: lol.

Seik

Banned
I'm so glad I never noticed that one skipping frame.

Too bad it seems to ruin the game for some, MK8 is the best in the MK series to me, minus battle mode.

Lol all you want, it is a curse and a blessing, but it is what it is. How would you call it when some people can't see something happening fast while others can?

If they cannot stand to play Mario Kart 8, but can evade the speeding helldemon coming towards them for a few more seconds, more power to them.

Madao

this fucking thread.

i hadn't noticed that thing even though i play single player mostly and now i just noticed when playing back a speedrun i did and can't unsee it.

thanks op.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Played 100s of single player hours in this, three starred every difficulty including 200CC and never noticed this.

I'm blessed with 60FPS eyesight.

KooopaKid

Banned
Honestly, it would be easier for Nintendo to fix the OP than fix MK8 framerate "issues". Even if it was fixed, another tiny little thing would bother him.

AHindD

Yep I'm completely at a loss at how someone could be so effected by this issue. Unless someone is spectating and is studying every frame rendered, I cant see how someone actually playing this game mid-race could be thrown off so much by it.

Especially considering that so many console game run at fluctuating framerates, and Mario Kart 8 runs so well overall.

I'm really glad I don't care about microstutter on console games. Would have ruined a bunch of games for me this gen already.
Honestly, it would be easier for Nintendo to fix the OP than fix MK8 framerate "issues". Even if it was fixed, another tiny little thing would bother him.
Lol wtf?

cheesekao

Some of you guys are really something. So what if you don't notice it? I don't too but crapping on OP because he has sensitive eyes is just uncalled for.

Oppo

it's like fluorescent light flickering. bothers some, others not so much.

I noticed it on corners. it's more the fact that it's a steady drumbeat stutter. can't un-see it. didn't really bother me when I played but it was apparent. bloodborne does the same thing but not at a fixed rate.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
it's like fluorescent light flickering. bothers some, others not so much.

I noticed it on corners. it's more the fact that it's a steady drumbeat stutter. can't un-see it. didn't really bother me when I played but it was apparent. bloodborne does the same thing but not at a fixed rate.
That's about right. It drives me crazy but I still love the game. I just can't unsee it!

Berordn

I've actually tried to see this in the game after reading about it, and couldn't even notice it while focusing on noticing it.

The weird thing is that I can't see it in MK8, but I had no trouble noticing it in Bloodborne (assuming it's the same issue, I'm not well versed enough to say).

Gorthaur

Banned
Yep I'm completely at a loss at how someone could be so effected by this issue. Unless someone is spectating and is studying every frame rendered, I cant see how someone actually playing this game mid-race could be thrown off so much by it.

Especially considering that so many console game run at fluctuating framerates, and Mario Kart 8 runs so well overall.

Once you see the stutter you cannot unsee it. I noticed it right away and it's jarring that people can't even see it once.

EthanC

Banned
Same. Have close to 700 hours in the game, and the game is very very smooth. No stuttering at all that I can notice.

And it's an issue I never had an idea existed and yet when I bought the game earlier this year, it was the first thing I noticed.

Oberon

Banned
This thread reminds me of the day I discovered what screen tearing is. On one hand I apreciate games that don't have it, but on the other hand, it's very distracting.
As far as fps goes, I don't notice things like 59fps. I am more used to 30fps, I do notice when a game runs at 60 tho and major frame drops. (I don't really know the difference between between frame drops and slowdowns)

The weird thing is that I can't see it in MK8, but I had no trouble noticing it in Bloodborne (assuming it's the same issue, I'm not well versed enough to say).
Bloodborne runs around 30 fps most of the time (which is quite ironic condering the game's focus and quick movement). Depending what you do can lead to some really noticable slowdowns.

bomblord1

Banned
Reading threads like this makes me so glad I don't notice framerate stuff and all that. Game looks and plays smooth as butter for me.

*edit* actually that's not completely true. After recently playing a couple of dozen hours online in a short period we then had a splitscreen multiplayer night with friends and I noticed the framerate being somewhat lower then when playing alone. No idea what the difference is and I only noticed it for like 30 seconds, but I did.

The game drops to a lower FPS in multiplayer

Berordn

Bloodborne runs around 30 fps most of the time (which is quite ironic condering the game's focus and quick movement). Depending what you do can lead to some really noticable slowdowns.

I know Bloodborne runs at a lower framerate, but I thought it had similar stutter issues.

But that could have just as easily been dropped frames for some other reason.

Planet

Thanks @cheesekao and other decent comments.
noticing it in Bloodborne (assuming it's the same issue
It is not. In Bloodborne, the framerate is a bit unstable, but mostly holds a steady 30 FPS. Just that they are not evenly spaced in the 60 Hertz Screen refresh. So instead of having a new frame every other refresh, you sometimes get 2 new frames back to back, then the latter is repeated twice before the next update. The problem is called pacing.

In Mario Kart, exactly every 64th frame is doubled, while every other one is fresh. Especially because the rest is delivered so smoothly, the tiny hickup stands out like a beacon for some, while they might find Bloodborne more tolerable (haven't tried that out myself yet). I had similar issues with Blu-rays on my old TV, which wasn't exactly 24 FPS capable though it marked it as supported it to the media player. As it is a PAL region device, it switched to 50 Hertz and doubled every 24th frame, very annoying. I had to manually disable 24 FPS mode in the PS3/4 so that the console did all the 3:2-pulldown to 60 FPS, which worked much better.

samn

I am usually annoyedv and very sensitive by stutter/dropped FPS.

I never noticed this.

I was used to 60hz though, now I that I am getting used to a 75hz monitor, maybe I notice now.

Yep same here. Was disappointed to hear of the 59Hz issue but happily I never notice it in gameplay, either on my TV or on the Gamepad screen.

Simbabbad

Lol all you want, it is a curse and a blessing, but it is what it is. How would you call it when some people can't see something happening fast while others can?
A good chunk of the lol goes to "I'll skip an entire Nintendo generation because a frame out of 60 is doubled in a single game".

EthanC

Banned
I know Bloodborne runs at a lower framerate, but I thought it had similar stutter issues.

But that could have just as easily been dropped frames for some other reason.

Bloodborne from the very start has had awful frame pacing issues. They've released several patches since launch. Not one of them addressed the problem. In fact the issue showed up in the Dark Souls 3 beta. I have no faith in FROM to ever fix it, and at this point I have no faith in Nintendo that they'll fix the issue in Mario Kart.

PtM

Banned

Yeah, it really boggles the mind that not everybody is like me, erm, I mean you.
A good chunk of the lol goes to "I'll skip an entire Nintendo generation because a frame out of 60 is doubled".
64!

Teletraan1

Banned
The stuttering that barely anybody can even notice :D

That is a shitty excuse though. People do notice it. Just because a majority of people don't doesn't make it a non issue for those who do. That line of thinking would have us remove colorblind modes from games or rip out unused handicap parking or braille.

Not that I expect anyone to care. Same excuses were made for Bloodborne's poor frame pacing. Those who didn't notice or were not susceptible to it bothering them were too much of a fan to have any empathy to anyone else. In some cases these types of things or the FOV can be the cause of motion sickness or headaches. But fuck those people right :D

Simbabbad

You're not qualified to make this assessment.
Right. On a gaming forum like NeoGAF which dedicates entire threads to issues like this, the enormous majority doesn't see it, but it's completely plausible the wide audience totally notices it.

Stuttering lol. 1 frame skip. Unplayable! Nintendo should be ashamed!

Good to see people still not getting why this is an issue. LOL IT'S JUST ONE FRAME LOLLOLOLOLOL.

I noticed it before the Digital Foundry article and cannot unsee it. Thankfully, I don't usually notice it while playing since I'm focused on the race, but it's definitely an issue.

KooopaKid

Banned
That is a shitty excuse though. People do notice it. Just because a majority of people don't doesn't make it a non issue for those who do. That line of thinking would have us remove colorblind modes from games or rip out unused handicap parking or braille.

So you're saying the OP has some kind of deficiency?
It's not at all comparable. This extremely minor "issue" shouldn't stop the OP from enjoying the game. There's a lot of other legit stuff to complain about.

Thankfully, I don't usually notice it while playing since I'm focused on the race, but it's definitely an issue.

lol how is it an issue then?

It's not at all comparable. This extremely minor issue shouln't stop the OP from enjoying the game. There's a lot of other legit stuff to complain about.

He said he still loves the game.

And this is a legit issue. It's not "extremely minor" if you notice it all the time.

Yasumi

Banned
The stuttering that barely anybody can even notice :D

Stuttering lol. 1 frame skip. Unplayable! Nintendo should be ashamed!

Op must hate consoel gaming then, since everything has framerate drops on them. Most of them way way worse than this 1 frame per 60fps.

If it isn't fixed 120fps how am I supposed to play it? Which way up does the controller go? I can't tell with all these frame skips!!

Neither have most people who played the game.

It's not at all comparable. This extremely minor "issue" shouldn't stop the OP from enjoying the game. There's a lot of other legit stuff to complain about.

lol how is it an issue then?

Shameful.

EthanC

Banned
You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know with a fair degree of certainty that most people can't notice a duplicate frame every 64 frames when there is AI present.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that if a game has a frame pacing issue then everyone sees it. It just doesn't bother some people the way it does someone else. For me, I noticed it immediately in Mario Kart. Nintendo games are usually incredibly smooth, so it was jarring to see this.

Top Bottom