• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Tennis Open |OT| Mario's dusting off the rackets and taking his game online

I really enjoyed Mario Tennis on the N64, didn't play the other versions, so I hope I'll like this version, ordered it despite the poorish reviews.

Am I missing something? Can I turn of handholding mode? It feels like I do not have control over everything at all. He's running without me doing anything, I only need to press a button to get the ball over the net. And I cannot control where to shoot the ball at all. Am I doing this wrong?

schlew

Am I missing something? Can I turn of handholding mode? It feels like I do not have control over everything at all. He's running without me doing anything, I only need to press a button to get the ball over the net. And I cannot control where to shoot the ball at all. Am I doing this wrong?

During a match press start and turn off the gyro controls. Options at the start screen will have the same selection.

schlew

So I cannot play in "over the shoulder mode" without handholding? :(

Thanks!

I guess not. Did you find it to give you a good view of the court? I feel like those power shot spots would be hard to notice in that mode, and that's why the movement is handled for you.

zroid

Banned
World 1-4 is some shit.

ugh, is there a way to "beat" 1-4? like, are there some conditions you have to meet to get to bowser/peach, or something...

I started it and my game just went on and on... by the time I finally lost, my score had been run up to 400k and the timer was around 600. -_-

after a while, it just got really tedious.

clemenx

Banned
Wow, this game is flat out fun, I can see myself wasting hours on the online. So pretty to look at as well. Definitely a good purchase <3

My FC if anyone wants to play sometime, I also play KI and MK =P
4167-5056-7285

Symphonic

Just beat my first Ace opponent. Played star Wario against Waluigi. I've been practicing with Wario and have gotten pretty good and he counters Waluigi well, so it wasn't too bad.

Birdo costume you get for beating an Ace opponent was not worth it

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Gameplay is fantastic. Believe the french, this game is GOOD. I love core, arcade, mind experiences and Mario Tennis is just that. Reminds me of great games from the past :)

NFreak

Just picked up the game myself. I don't know how but I played the damn game for 5 hours straight and I didn't even notice. I usually don't play games for more than 2 hours at a time mind you. The game is much more fun than I expected. It may be a little short on content compared to other Mario Tennis games but it's not short on fun.

clemenx

Banned
Super Mario Tennis is a such a great concept it's the only thing I'm mad about the little content, there should be more levels.

Also, I don't really like using the Y button, I preferred using a+b for flat shot, but I guess this is just me being used to the N64 and other portable games, heh.

zroid

Banned
the sad thing about the way 1-4 works is I'll probably never beat my high score by actually finishing the level

endless looping is not your friend

Also, I don't really like using the Y button, I preferred using a+b for flat shot, but I guess this is just me being used to the N64 and other portable games, heh.

At first I felt that way, but I prefer Y now. I'm still a little unclear on what exactly the X button does, though... it seems to just adapt to whatever circumstance you're in? Or something? I don't really get it.

the sad thing about the way 1-4 works is I'll probably never beat my high score by actually finishing the level

endless looping is not your friend

At first I felt that way, but I prefer Y now. I'm still a little unclear on what exactly the X button does, though... it seems to just adapt to whatever circumstance you're in? Or something? I don't really get it.

x button is nintendo's attempt to baby-ify the game. if you use x, it performs the best shot possible. you can use it on any chance shot too, instead of pushing B-A or A-B, for instance. the tradeoff is it is supposably less powerful.

NFreak

x button is nintendo's attempt to baby-ify the game. if you use x, it performs the best shot possible. you can use it on any chance shot too, instead of pushing B-A or A-B, for instance. the tradeoff is it is supposably less powerful.

It's much less powerful at least on normal shots. I don't know if the shots are less powerful on chance shots but I have trained myself at this point to never even touch the x button unless a chance shot area pops up.

Facing DK in the Shell Cup final as Daisy was intense in the first set

My favorite was during the Banana Cup or whichever when Waluigi and I went at it for the Match and it was back and forth and back and forth between 40, Deuce, and Adv. It went on for a good 7 or 8 minutes, maybe 10.

Super Mario Tennis is a such a great concept it's the only thing I'm mad about the little content, there should be more levels.

There are another set of levels (2-x) but they are ONLY playable through local multiplayer which SUCKS.

Don't forget..if you're charging a shot, press L to cancel it ;)

Randdalf

So I've gone through the World Open with my Mii and now I've hit a wall in the
Ice Flower Cup
against Wario, and lost my first match. It's nice that the game will save your progress and allow you to redo the match, which I appreciated.

I still haven't got a feel for when to use each shot, though generally I like to try and batter them down with Topspin shots until I get a Flat chance square near the net, obviously this hasn't worked so well against Wario.

I find it a bit weird that you don't get any coins for winning tournaments so I tried some of the special games. I'm enjoying Ring Shot and Galaxy Tennis so far, but I can't seem to get 500 quick enough in the former (my best so far is 450), it seems difficult.

How do you input QR codes? Is there a compilation of where all the Yoshis are hidden?

ryushe

I'm honestly really enjoying this game, but you only being able to gain coins from the Special Games is really stupid.

Bumhead

Banned
I'm honestly really enjoying this game, but you only being able to gain coins from the Special Games is really stupid.

Yeah same. I love the game, but the way the game pushes you towards the Special Games to earn coins seems a little off and prohibitive to me. I actually enjoy playing the Special Games but I can see a point in the future where I'll have to go and grind some coins in there for a specific bit of gear, and I'm not thrilled about that prospect as such.

I played the 1-Up Cup and proceeded to get my ass handed to me by Yoshi and then Mario. It felt like when they were up to serve I was at a huge disadvantage and the game kept giving them all the bonus shots while I was on pure defense. I guess it's dependent on what shot I take and where?

ryushe

if the special games weren't super fun, I'd probably feel the same way
Not disputing that as they are indeed very fun. I absolutely love Ring Shot and Galaxy Rally, and Super Mario Tennis is ingenious, but as it stands now this current system makes going through the single player content feel like a waste.

Since this is the first (?) NA "Nintendo Network" game, I just hope there'll be added content in the future via DLC and/or patches, because as fun as the game is now, I don't know how long I'll be interested in grinding for coins to be used for items only my Mii can wear..

I'm sad there's no playable Toad. TOAD! Out of all the people to leave out of a Mario game. I would STILL pick him if he turned out to be bad.

I think I'll hop on in a few and play some online matches. Be on the lookout for "jeffsotall" aka me. I'll be using Luigi.

zroid

Banned
Not disputing that as they are indeed very fun. I absolutely love Ring Shot and Galaxy Rally, and Super Mario Tennis is ingenious, but as it stands now this current system makes going through the single player content feel like a waste.

Since this is the first (?) NA "Nintendo Network" game, I just hope there'll be added content in the future via DLC and/or patches, because as fun as the game is now, I don't know how long I'll be interested in grinding for coins to be used for items only my Mii can wear..

yeah I get you. although playing single player does unlock stuff to buy in the shop, right? so it's more like you have to do that hand-in-hand with the special games to get coins.

totally agree about the DLC thing, this game's just begging for it. hopefully some, at least, will be free.

(btw I think Kid Icarus is the first one, technically)

ryushe

(btw I think Kid Icarus is the first one, technically)
Haha, now that you mention it, this is the first 3DS game I've bought since Kid Icarus and I when I think about it now, I think that game has spoiled me in what I feel I should be getting from a 3DS title now, :lol

Also yes, you do unlock items from playing single, but that also illustrates another problem I have with Mario Tennis Open. I won't even get started on how silly the game is for using pie charts to represent how good/bad your current equipment is (which is odd since you have nothing to rate it against), but the way the system is set up now, why would I use my hard earned coins for some of the early equipment when I can just grind out the tourney's and wait until I start to unlock better, more killer items? Unless each item has its use like the Kart parts in MK7, it makes throwing away coins for lower level equipment wasteful... but honestly, I'm not sure how the equips work in this game, so I could be wrong about that aspect.

To me, while I'm having a blast actually playing the game, It feels like with every good thing they do, they stop just short of it becoming absolutely amazing.

Top Bottom