• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Tennis Open |OT| Mario's dusting off the rackets and taking his game online

HyperHip

Yeah after playing online randoms I've decided I'm gonna stick to friend matches. Also does anyone actually play with Mario characters?

Once you get through the 4 tournaments the game gets a lot harder. I actually have to put some effort in right now. I even occasionally lose! I'm having a lot of fun now :)

So how come people are getting their asses kicked online? I'm getting the game tomorrow and I don't like losing.

*Grunts*

I think a lot of it has to do with using characters with super leveled up gear vs people with little or no gear. You can have a very powerful Bowser with an extremely fast serve who can Ace players who use stock Mii characters who are slow on their feet and have slow serves.

Is posting the Club Nintendo Yoshi costume QR code okay as far as the GAF TOS?

It's free, but you're supposed to be a Club Nintendo member to see it.

Wanted to double-check as I don't want the ban hammer hitting me right before E3.

dreamfall

I'm playing as Peach! I think I'm playing alright, but some of these Miis have some killer serves. I'm "dreamfall" online if we've come across each other!

Still having a ton of fun; haven't unlocked anything because I hopped online almost immediately!

I'm playing as Peach! I think I'm playing alright, but some of these Miis have some killer serves. I'm "dreamfall" online if we've come across each other!

Still having a ton of fun; haven't unlocked anything because I hopped online almost immediately!

Any lag? I can't enjoy online because its slow-mo for me, and I'm trying to figure out if its something on my end, or a universal thing.

It seems almost impossible to move fast enough to return serves.

dreamfall

Any lag? I can't enjoy online because its slow-mo for me, and I'm trying to figure out if its something on my end, or a universal thing.

Most matches have been good; I'd say I've had about 10 out of 100 or so with crippling lag. Completely game breaking, but usually the game loses connection and the next match is great.

I believe I just played you. "jeffsotall" using Luigi.

dreamfall

I believe I just played you. "jeffsotall" using Luigi.

And I believe you absolutely destroyed me! Good game! :eek:

I'm turning in for the night- bad lag on my end after praising the online yesterday! And some bad play too! Still brilliant when it works- great pick up and play.

Is posting the Club Nintendo Yoshi costume QR code okay as far as the GAF TOS?

It's free, but you're supposed to be a Club Nintendo member to see it.

Wanted to double-check as I don't want the ban hammer hitting me right before E3.
I believ it's already been posted (it was also on Nintendo's Facebook page.)

depward

On one hand, I'm jonesing for a new tennis game. On the other, I'm still ultra pissed how they implemented online doubles.

If this was like Kid Icarus and had a $29.99 sale the first week, I'd consider picking it up.

2 questions.

1- when playing doubles am I covering the left/right side of the court or the front/back half of the court?

2- what do the little M icons mean when picking a court in Exhibition?

A lot of my matches have been rather laggy for the most part.

Dammit Galaxy Rally... made me go nuts. Oh well. Luma and Luma Costume get!

Tyeforce

What are the limitations of single card multiplayer? Haven't found any info on that.
You can't use your customized Mii (you can use your Mii with the default gear, though), you can't use hidden characters, and you can only choose from three courts.

Symphonic

For UK GAF: Black Yoshi QR code available at certain Asdas:

http://www.nintendo-gamer.net/2012/05/22/nab-a-black-yoshi-for-mario-tennis-open-this-weekend/

I'm sure someone will take a photo of it and spread it around online.

This gonna be available in the US?

What's the exact number of characters that have to be unlocked?

So the multiplayer doesn't have communities like MK7?

Nope. No reason to really, there's not a whole lot of leeway with rulesets as opposed to MK7.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Donno about the US but I'm sure the QR code will be easily obtainable online after the 25th. With only 30 stores it's not even that easy for Brits to get the code.

The article say there are
characters and
coloured yoshis.

Symphonic

Donno about the US but I'm sure the QR code will be easily obtainable online after the 25th. With only 30 stores it's not even that easy for Brits to get the code.

The article say there are
characters and
coloured yoshis.

Is that
17 to unlock or 17 total
?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Nope. No reason to really, there's not a whole lot of leeway with rulesets as opposed to MK7.

It's not about rules, it's about having a GAF community to play friendly matches without exploiters for the most part and having fun, while also being able to set-up tourneys without having to add every goddamn friend code.

abasm

It's not about rules, it's about having a GAF community to play friendly matches without exploiters for the most part and having fun, while also being able to set-up tourneys without having to add every goddamn friend code.

The way Nintendo has talked about it, they seem to believe that the merit of Communities lies in custom rule-sets rather than cutting out friend-code BS.

Well, my experience with this game last night may have just about soured me on it entirely.

Generally speaking the aspect of tennis games that keeps me coming back to them is high level play against CPU's. After finishing the final tournament last night I unlocked the ability to play against "Ace" level opponents so I jumped right in to a match against Mario. After playing a few matches against him I'm fairly well convinced that I won't ever be able to beat him unless I stack all of the best items in the game. I find this to be incredibly lame because it basically highlights the fact that skill isn't given nearly enough weight in this game.

I would love for someone to do this for me: play against Ace level Mario on the Mushroom court as a fairly standard character like Luigi and see if you can beat him. If you can then maybe I'm just doing something wrong (which I find hard to believe at this point given how quickly I blazed through the tournaments, but I don't want to write the possibility off entirely).

So anyway, back to the issue here, my problem is not so much that the game is difficult but rather that it just isn't fair. I honestly felt like I was playing against a perfect bot that was incapable of missing a shot and one that could reach every spot on the court in time no matter what type of shot I chose, how I aimed the shot, or whether I played back or at the net. The game simply doesn't give me enough options for defeating an opponent. No level of skill allows me to carefully place a risky shot along the left or right line, and it's these types of omissions that cause it to completely break down at high level play, in my opinion.

I'm really hoping that Camelot didn't intend for Ace level opponents to only be beatable by perfectly decked out Miis but it's honestly starting to look like that's the case. I'm not saying I should be able to go in with a stock Mii and have a good shot at winning against an Ace level opponent but the design decisions implemented here seem to have sent things in completely the opposite direction. It's honestly quite disappointing.

Effect

I initially thought it would be easy to keep using the power spots until I started getting to the higher cups. Then the game opponents starting using them just as often as I would. Forcing me to us them. Mixing them up with regular shots has been fun. Fun to have a volley of power shots go back and forth for me to wing the point or game with a simple slice off to the side because the game wasn't expecting it after allt he power shots.

The game is still more fun offline then on.

It does seem like the game expects you to upgrade your Mii at a regular basis. Now that I opened the 5th tournament looks like I have to again as things got even harder. It's a trail and error type of situation it seems. You won't know if you have to upgrade until you play for a new cup unless you are upgrading yourself anyway ahead of time. Of course you can just bypass all that by ignoring the Mii and just using the regular characters. Try to get all the cups with all of them in both singles and doubles. I wonder if anything unlocks if you end up doing that?

2 questions.

1- when playing doubles am I covering the left/right side of the court or the front/back half of the court?

2- what do the little M icons mean when picking a court in Exhibition?
I'm not sure about number 2 but I can help you with number 1. The answer depends on who's serving. When you are the server you aren't ever expected to play the net, you just move left and right depending on where your partner is at the net and where the opponents place their shots. If your partner has to drop back for some reason and he stays back then you can move to the net.

Likewise, if you partner is serving then you are always expected to play the net. You should always try to position yourself so that you're on the opposite side of the court as your partner.

When an opponent is serving you alternate between playing back and playing the net depending on who is returning the serve. Generally speaking you will cover the back-court if you are the player returning the serve and the net if you aren't.

Basic rule of thumb: there should always be one player at the net and one player back and they should be standing on opposite sides of the court.

Sinthetic

I think a lot of it has to do with using characters with super leveled up gear vs people with little or no gear. You can have a very powerful Bowser with an extremely fast serve who can Ace players who use stock Mii characters who are slow on their feet and have slow serves.

Makes sense mate! Thanks for the reply.

I have been playing it for 2 hours and I am enjoying how solid the tennis is. I've never played a game in the series before, so it feels new to me. As usual, I'm playing with my Peach and it was pretty easy to get a grasp on the game from the get go.

I really like how the 3 characters I've tried all feel different. That goes for the courts too, I appreciate variety in environments in my games.

The mini games feel good, I especially enjoyed the Rally one. Didn't take me more than 5 minutes to get Gold on all of them though. Still, nice to be able to farm coins quickly.

3D doesn't add anything (apart from the SMG themed court), but I always play with it on.

It feels like there is going to be a shortage of things to do, I just hope my girlfriend enjoys it so we can play online together during the week.

I'm not sure about number 2 but I can help you with number 1. The answer depends on who's serving. When you are the server you aren't ever expected to play the net, you just move left and right depending on where your partner is at the net and where the opponents place their shots. If your partner has to drop back for some reason and he stays back then you can move to the net.

Likewise, if you partner is serving then you are always expected to play the net. You should always try to position yourself so that you're on the opposite side of the court as your partner.

When an opponent is serving you alternate between playing back and playing the net depending on who is returning the serve. Generally speaking you will cover the back-court if you are the player returning the serve and the net if you aren't.

Basic rule of thumb: there should always be one player at the net and one player back and they should be standing on opposite sides of the court.
Thanks! Sounds reasonable.

massoluk

Banned
Hmm.. just spent a little time with this game. My first Mario Tennis... The game appears kinda complicated. My other real tennis video games are just Tennis on GB and Virtua Tennis, I only have to think about low ball, high ball, backhand and forehand. This is A -> B and color coded schemes things are giving me a bit of a hard time.

Shiggy

graf93z1g.jpg

Steffi Graf-san vs. Satoru Shibata

Hmm.. just spent a little time with this game. My first Mario Tennis... The game appears kinda complicated. My other real tennis video game is just Tennis on GB and Virtua Tennis, I only have to think about low ball, high ball, back hand and forward. This is A -> B and color coded schemes things are giving me a bit of a hard time.
Use the touchpad, the third one with all the colors. Much easier.

graf93z1g.jpg

Steffi Graf-san vs. Satoru Shibata
I'm guessing she's losing if she's not even using the slide pad.

So, been playing for a couple hours so far. It's very much Mario Tennis, but somewhere between the N64 original and Power. I prefer the more traditional mechanics of the N64 game with its simplified control scheme (though that may be a trick of memory) over this and Power, but I'll reserve real judgment until I've completed the tourneys a few times over. I used Waluigi exclusively on the N64 and in MPT with a dominant net game, though I haven't found that skill transferable to Open. Granted, I've mostly been playing as my Mii sans upgrades, but in the handful of tourneys I've entered as Waluigi the "feel" just wasn't there. Been a while so maybe I just need to get the muscle memory back; MT64 was a VICIOUS game for me in college. Rivaled GoldenEye! I'm also used to playing with the speed of star characters, so really hoping they make a return in this. Anyone know?

Anyway, it's Mario Tennis but slightly more complex than the N64 version minus the power moves of GCN. Middling reviews have it right, but the game remains fun and it's great to have on the go. Might actually replace Tetris Axis as my commute game for a little while...

ALSO! Is it just me or is the service timing really tight? Never had an issue serving as fast as possible in either console game, but on this I've triggered "NICE" maaaaybe 10 times.
Hmm.. just spent a little time with this game. My first Mario Tennis... The game appears kinda complicated. My other real tennis video game is just Tennis on GB and Virtua Tennis, I only have to think about low ball, high ball, back hand and forward. This is A -> B and color coded schemes things are giving me a bit of a hard time.
Give it an hour or two, the color-coding will become second nature. The touchscreen actually helps (and it flashes based on which color you should use to return smash shots!) but to be competitive I imagine you'd want to eventually leave touch behind.

I wish that battle music or whatever didn't play in the last round of every game. I'd rather hear the stage music.especially in exhibitin mode it seems out of place.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I'm happy to report the game is good. How good, I can't tell yet... but my first impressions are definitely positive.

Sinthetic

I am clad in my Diddy Kong gear and I'd say I've won about 75% of my matches online. Absolutely love this.

Don't let those middling reviews stop you from enjoying this. It's very good fun and addictive as Hell.

This game is fun. Very happy to have it in my pocket. I'll still need MTgbc for the RPG mode but the core play is fun enough that I will be using this thing for casual play plenty.

Top Bottom