• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masahiro Yamamoto (Zettai Hero, Disgaea 4) joins Idea Factory [Mass Exodus at N1?]

I guess if the team is still together, then the games aren't going anywhere, which is all that really matters . . .

But I'm going to miss Prier something fierce.

Negator

This isn't good news at all for Nippon Ichi. I fear for the future of the Disgaea series.

On the other hand, if that means Idea Factory games are going to be better, maybe I'll actually be interested in playing their games!

If it's a mass exodus, I can't help but feel that we'll know what happened relatively soon.

Esura

Banned
I dunno man, Compile Heart and 'good game' are an antithesis to each other.

That stopped being true for a long time now unless you haven't played a game of theirs post-Neptunia 1 and I still argue that's a good game from a story and dialog perspective.

duckroll

Uh? Maybe I misunderstood something? Is the scandal the talents leaving?

Yes, because it's something Nippon Ichi probably wouldn't want shareholders to know at the moment. Especially if it's like half their workforce or something.

It seems there was another post around that time (June 23) giving some reasons for the exodus, but it's from someone with a different User ID on 2ch, so who knows if it's true or if it was someone else riding on the same rumor:

He said that the various subsidiaries formed by Nippon Ichi in 2011 (Studio ToOefuf, Counter Stop, and Nora) were actually meant to be measures taken against paying overtime owed to employees, but because of various problems with the management of the subsidiaries, all the employees were absorbed back into the main company eventually. But when the staff were absorbed back, they were told that because they are considered "new" employees, they will get the same basic pay as new hires, so they all left.

If this is true, Nippon Ichi deserves to go under, but I'm not really inclined to spread it as gospel without any sort of confirmation because it would be incredibly unfair if it's just hearsay.

Edit: There, now you have your "scandal" too, but remember, this is NOT confirmed or substantiated.

Varth

Yes, because it's something Nippon Ichi probably wouldn't want shareholders to know at the moment. Especially if it's like half their workforce or something.

It seems there was another post around that time (June 23) giving some reasons for the exodus, but it's from someone with a different User ID on 2ch, so who knows if it's true or if it was someone else riding on the same rumor:

He said that the various subsidiaries formed by Nippon Ichi in 2011 (Studio ToOefuf, Counter Stop, and Nora) were actually meant to be measures taken against paying overtime owed to employees, but because of various problems with the management of the subsidiaries, all the employees were absorbed back into the main company eventually. But when the staff were absorbed back, they were told that because they are considered "new" employees, they will get the same basic pay as new hires, so they all left.

If this is true, Nippon Ichi deserves to go under, but I'm not really inclined to spread it as gospel without any sort of confirmation because it would be incredibly unfair if it's just hearsay.

Edit: There, now you have your "scandal" too, but remember, this is NOT confirmed or substantiated.

Thank you, now the picture is clearer.

But why the snarky "....", then? It's not like the alleged denied overtime pay thing was common knowledge ^__^'

duckroll

Thank you, now the picture is clearer.

But why the snarky "....", then? It's not like the alleged denied overtime pay thing was common knowledge ^__^'

I didn't actually read about this until now. The original post was only referring to tons of people bailing out of the company suddenly, which is enough of a scandal. :p

TheChaos0

That is beyond unreasonable. This is almost like saying, we want to fire you but we don't have a valid reason, so just leave on your own. Only they were not trying to do that.

This sounds too stupid to be true but if it is, oh wow... Sayonara, Nippon Ichi.

New talented staff joining Idea Factory. That's good.
Talented staff deserting NI (en mass?). That's bad.
New 'IF' game seemingly featuring an all female cast. That's good.
It's for PS Vita. That's bad
for me.

Mixed feelings about this thread.

cj_iwakura

sörine;84093347 said:
They started working with Sting before, how did that turn out?

Uh, they made one game to my knowledge. I'd assume not too well.

And the Asagi curse is apparently in full effect.

Hopefully NISA is profitable enough to survive on its own if it comes to that.

Is that even possible? They're a subsidiary of NIS. More likely NIS will get absorbed into someone else, like Atlus, and they'll own NISA.

I enjoy NISA's localizations, so I hope they stay afloat.

Coxy

sörine;84093347 said:
They started working with Sting before, how did that turn out?

mixed blessings, GoC6 did pretty well. with index they were being put on the Road to iOS only, with IF they're making a PS3 game....but it's a Date a Live game :x

They haven't taken the plunge into full fledged publishing yet tough, I think their video game work so far has been doing the more recent Atelier games for Tecmo Koei.

Wait, what? These guys are localizing now instead of NISA? Because I thought NISA was still responsible for Ayesha's localization, and Tecmo Koei NA/Europe was publishing.

Uh, they made one game to my knowledge. I'd assume not too well.
According to Wikipedia:
In March 2012, Sting and fellow game developer Idea Factory formed a partnership, wherein members from both companies would collaborate to create games that would showcase both their talents.[2] Titles developed by both companies will be released under the label of Super Sting. Their first title was released three months later, in July 2012.
That was Generation of Chaos: Pandora’s Reflection for the PSP. They've since collaborated on Date a Live for the PS3, but that came out as a regular Compile Heart title rather than under the Super Sting label.

Is that even possible? They're a subsidiary of NIS. More likely NIS will get absorbed into someone else, like Atlus, and they'll own NISA.
NIS' only big established IP is Disgaea, and even that can't match Persona, SMT, etc. If they don't have their development studios up and running either, I can't imagine there would be a lot of interest in buying them outside of bargain hunters. NIS going dormant while their owners try to figure something out seems more likely.

Wait, what? These guys are localizing now instead of NISA? Because I thought NISA was still responsible for Ayesha's localization, and Tecmo Koei NA/Europe was publishing.
Hmm, Acttil is confirmed for Escha & Logy, though it's possible I'm wrong about Ayesha. (And to clarify, I originally meant Acttil was just localizing, not publishing themselves.)

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
At least Nippon Ichi localized all their stuff. Doubt we ever see this in English especially since nobody who speaks English owns a Vita.

Hopefully he'll pull IF up instead of being dragged down.

Heh.

Heheheh.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA...er, I mean, yeah. We hope.

If true, WOW. That's some Team Bondi level morals there.

So Asagi will never have her game :(.

No paradox about this guided fate!

fek

Damn, the "eternal next game protagonist A" part sounds too convincing. Can't believe this is happening with NIS.

Meier

I played a lot of Nippon Ichi games during the PS2 era but have not played one at all this gen. I was looking forward to an eventual D4 port to the Vita. I think for me it's just a lack of time and feeling a bit embarrassed about the content of the games frankly. Their style of art aligned better with my single college days.

Ryuukan

I played a lot of Nippon Ichi games during the PS2 era but have not played one at all this gen. I was looking forward to an eventual D4 port to the Vita. I think for me it's just a lack of time and feeling a bit embarrassed about the content of the games frankly. Their style of art aligned better with my single college days.

Sucks that you had to give up what you enjoy for a relationship, kinda sounds like N1 employees now

Whoa, I wake up and it's even worse.

Is it weird that the first thing I worried about was the status of NISA and the Danganronpa series in the west?

Japanese blogs picking up on this story have pointed out that there was a big Nippon Ichi scandal rumor on 2ch way back in June. Someone posted details about a mass exodus from "Company N" with the following details (I've filled in the blanks for obvious references):

Considering the confirmation of the first part of the rumor, this sounds pretty bad for the future of the company.

Oh that's pretty bad, I hope NISA isn't too badly affected by this. It'll be terrible if Danganronpa 2 doesn't come out cause of this.

Also, lol at Asagi's game getting stalled.

LuuKyK

Wow, worrisome news. Hoping for the best for N1, its one of my favorite companies overall. :/

It seems like a given that they will struggle to survive now though. Lets see how this ends.

Saroyan

This sounds pretty bleak for N1, hopefully NISA will not be affected by this right away, it would be a bummer if Dangan Ronpa and Demon Gaze were dropped.

Kazerei

Banned
Well, shit, I really like Nippon Ichi. Disgaea is what got me into SRPGs in the first place. Idea Factory, on the other hand... well I hope they improve with the new talent :\

Do not understand this. Nippon Ichi games are not all that graphic at all. No moe or anything. Try D3 on Vita. So worth it. Maybe you are mixing them up with another series?

Great news, Idea Factory is great but their battle systems and presentation lack at times. These guys will be able to hit a homerun together for sure.

OmegaDL50

That is beyond unreasonable. This is almost like saying, we want to fire you but we don't have a valid reason, so just leave on your own. Only they were not trying to do that.

This sounds too stupid to be true but if it is, oh wow... Sayonara, Nippon Ichi.

Circuit City basically did this which what resulted all of thier Brick and Mortar chains closing completely. They basically laid off a ton of people and said they would hire them back but at fraction of the pay level and all of their benefits being cut. It was this very thing that resulted them closing their doors.

I would hope Nippon Ichi wouldn't be so stupid to do a similar tactic.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Circuit City basically did this which what resulted all of thier Brick and Mortar chains closing completely. They basically laid off a ton of people and said they would hire them back but at fraction of the pay level and all of their benefits being cut. It was this very thing that resulted them closing their doors.

I would hope Nippon Ichi wouldn't be so stupid to do a similar tactic.

Yep, I was working at CC when it happened too. Everything changed for the worst when they did that. N1 won't disappear overnight, but the decent has begun.

I guess I'm the only one turned off by an all female cast. I was hoping for something that wouldn't make a niche game like an SRPG even more niche than it already is.

On a side note, I was hoping to play the new Disgaea game on my PS4 via Gaikai. I hope that dream isn't dead already.

Eusis

Or maybe Acttil will? "Coincidentally" it's a new videogame publisher founded in May this year by veterans from NISA. Hmmmm!

http://acttil.com/
Yeah, it seems similar to when XSEED was formed, except that was people leaving from one of the bigger publishers (Squaresoft/Square Enix) to creating one of the smallest, versus making a company that's at a cursory glance may be about the same size but has loftier goals than their original company given they're sort of going HEY GUYS HOW ABOUT A KICKSTARTER?

Top Bottom