• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect (4): First Details & Images [Update 2: Video of Mako driving around]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Larger armor shot:

BtgJTwRCMAE9Ga6.jpg:large

Also a better Mako shot:

BtgKhjmCYAAzPHJ.jpg:large

McNum

Or this could just be a galaxy that the Reapers have left in ruin / are attacking right now before they move onto Shepard's. I hope not, but that definitely could happen
If it is done like my wild guess up there, there is one moment I'd love to see happen:

Imagine you're doing some exploration, and discover an anomaly in space. Maybe half-way trough the game, or something. You go to investigate and... it's a dormant Mass Relay. Identical to the Milky Way ones. Cue a moment of silence and then the Reaper music cue.

I mean, it'd be nice if it wasn't Reapers, but the Mass Relay is such a signature item that it's almost hard to imagine a Mass Effect game without them. And Mass Relays mean Reapers.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
How could it be another galaxy? No one mentioned that any of the races could travel out side to another galaxy. Even with Mass drives that seems pretty unlikely.
Doesn't rule out wormholes or some undiscovered tech. Reapers are able to go from intergalactic space into all portions of the Milky Way galaxy within a very short span of time.

dr_rus

Mako and planet exploration are certainly pulling me back in.
All the story stuff sounds like utter shit for now though. Another galaxy makes no sense with the same races. Same galaxy during reaper wars won't work.

Taker34

Banned
I really hope that they take their ME trilogy foundation (no matter how wonky it was) and strictly continue or improve on the basis instead of frantically avoiding and ignoring what they created so far. Imagine Amy Hennig would have given up the LoK lore after BO2. Take an ending and make it canon, if you don't want to fix the trilogy colour mess. After that hurdle BioWare controlls the ME lore and the lore doesn't controll BioWare anymore.

Zen

Banned
BtgEnHWCYAAXoJh.jpg

Neat, they're finally making a Mass Effect 2. That first one was great back in 2007, wonder why it took so long to make a sequel.

hear hear nice to see the first bullet point we get is as clear as they can make it that they are going back to Mass Effect 1.

Fucking choice choice choice. shut the fuck up already and just do them, you liars.

God, TWD, Bioware shitfests. Tired of all the lazy "choices" they give us in these games. ENOUGH ALREADY

Zen

Banned
Mako and planet exploration are certainly pulling me back in.
All the story stuff sounds like utter shit for now though. Another galaxy makes no sense with the same races. Same galaxy during reaper wars won't work.

Imagine if the setting is separate because a large combined military convoy got trapped somewhere in between relays when they were damaged/destroyed.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

why is it during Shepard's lifetime? I thought that was all over. More Reapers?! Fuck off.

I wanted a new beginning. Now it's the same damn thing. :/

Edit: I am happy to see the Mako though.

During Shepards lifetime can still be post ME3.

OsirisBlack

Banned
I pray that the inclusion of the Mako does not mean it plays like the original game. If it plays like 3 then were in business.

dr_rus

Imagine if the setting is separate because a large combined military convoy got trapped somewhere in between relays when they were damaged/destroyed.
How will space travel happen then? What will familiar races do in that somewhere?

The only way to build the story so that it wouldn't be shit is to put the events in the same galaxy but after thousand of years after the trilogy timeframe.

I feel that they're cagey on this for a reason though. And figuring out where the hell we are will be one of goals of the new ME. Which may turn out all kinds of wrong with Bioware's recent track record.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Showing off the armor stuff is fine, but not at the expense of ignoring the story. Which is why so many people dress as said characters anyways.

Have you been to SDCC?
There's nearly as many people dressed up as characters from projects not released yet as they are established ones... People live the fantasy, not the plot.

I know it may be lame, but panels are tough sometimes - the game is far out, content not locked and you can't get unapproved assets out in the wild before pulse point announcements, so you have to make due with what you can scrounge up from the studio. In this case, armor designs I suppose. And it's already for people talking, so...

DOWN

Banned
Large planet vehicular exploration returning is already a big chunk of what I missed from ME1 being back.

no video?
It may take a while, since the people who were there are probably still stuck at ComicCon.

But the models themselves were fantastic. It went in a far more generic military battle armor direction with the sequels.
Eh, they were really sleek, but that was it. They didn't really do much of anything for me (or for a lot of people, apparently, since this is the first time I've heard anyone talk about wanting that style back).

Mindwipe

Those designs all look pretty poor.

The storyline contortions that are going to have to take place if it's set in another galaxy are ludicrous.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Kind of sad they don't appear to be returning to that 70s sci-fi aesthetic from ME1 and are continuing with the JJ Abrams Star Trek look, which isn't bad by any means, but I wish they had kept the original look it was unique and something they could have made their own.

Eh, they were really sleek, but that was it. They didn't really do much of anything for me (or for a lot of people, apparently, since this is the first time I've heard anyone talk about wanting that style back).

They were very minimalist and the appearance of them was cool looking, it wasn't all fiber mesh and shiny metals, it looked like some space age futuristic polymer type stuff. More variety would have been great, but ME2 and ME3 armors looked more like power armor than they did space suits and armor.

I don't. It was literally reskins of the same basic armor models, much like 99.9% of the weapons.

I think he meant that he liked those basic armor models more than the style used in ME2 and ME3.

ME1 had armor that was a range between light fabrics and elastic materials to heavy ceramic plating that showed how advanced materials had become in the future. ME2 and ME3 took that away and suddenly all of Shepard's armor is thick shiny metal suits of armor.

I've heard a lot of people (myself included) miss that older design.

Olli128

The new galaxy angle could work, and be pretty amazing. I'm thinking some hyper advanced race from another galaxy opens some kind of wormhole / super mass effect relay into ours, either looking to invade or seek help again some threat. Que a crack squad featuring the best of the milky way races sent through to "explore" this new galaxy.

theWB27

I think he meant that he liked those basic armor models more than the style used in ME2 and ME3.

ME1 had armor that was a range between light fabrics and elastic materials to heavy ceramic plating that showed how advanced materials had become in the future. ME2 and ME3 took that away and suddenly all of Shepard's armor is thick shiny metal suits of armor.

I missed it too.

Bessy67

The new galaxy angle could work, and be pretty amazing. I'm thinking some hyper advanced race from another galaxy opens some kind of wormhole / super mass effect relay into ours, either looking to invade or seek help again some threat. Que a crack squad featuring the best of the milky way races sent through to "explore" this new galaxy.
It's really the only thing that can work that's not a prequel or side story unless they canonize an ending.

I just hope it can have the same feel of the first game. I don't really know how to put it into words, but it certainly didn't feel like a typical action movie like 2 and 3 did to me.

Guys, it's not a sequel because it's going to be a alternate timeline where Shep died in the beginning of 2 and a new hero takes over to kill the Reapers. Redooooooooooo. There will be like 4 different ending this time.

With a different color theme for each ending, what could beat ME3 ending? They will have to fuck up somewhere, its bioware afterall. we just have to wait until the game releases.

i-Lo

I just watched the video for ME 1's armour selection; holy shit! It used to be a RPG! Also, that music.

Neidii

THE MAKO IS BACK? YESSSS!

I can't wait, mass effect is my favorite video game series, I am so hyped for the next one. I hope it wont disappoint.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
It's really the only thing that can work that's not a prequel or side story unless they canonize an ending.

They really need to do this. It's only as big an issue as they make it. Pick an ending and stick the landing and most people won't care if they happened to like or chose one of the others. They are in no way obligated to honor that final choice and anyone expecting them to needs to get over themselves.

As bad and poorly handled the endings were, the end result still opened up a whole lot of interesting possibilities within the ME universe that would be really cool to see, but to side step all that because they think it will be too hard to do and to not upset people because of their choice of ending and how it all went down is both pathetic and stupid. You turned the galaxy upside down, now it's time to show what happens when you do that.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Why the fuck would it be set in Shepard's lifetime.

Goddamnit Bioware.

Human looks bulky, but I don't overly mind it.

On the plus side, <3 <3 the Mako.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Can't say I'm a fan of the possibility of this being during the Shepard Trilogy just somewhere else, seriously, just pick a god damn ending and move past that part of the story. Just pick Destroy and jump forward a good amount of years, it was after all the main point of the series in the first place to destroy them, no Shepard Reapers policing the Galaxy, no half green techno people, no stupid side stories not really introduced till the 3rd game due to terrible writing.

I might still be feeling a little raw over that ME3 ending.

The rest sounds good though, nice to see the Mako and an emphasis on exploration, though I'm worried due to the lack of shootbang during exploration they will fall back on waves upon waves upon waves of enemies during foot sections

Lakitu

st5fu
Pretty much confirms all the rumours beforehand, love the emphasis on exploration. Hope we see that video of the Mako soon.

3bdelilah

Banned
So this takes place in the Shepard era? Hype literally plummets with at least 50%. Maaaaaaaaaybe unless it's happening right after the Mass Effect 2 intro,
where Shepard died and Cerberus brought him/her back to life in the 2 years that followed
. But if they do that, it will certainly mean ME4 (or ME: Subtitle) will just be a sub-story to the existing ME lore, which would be a total turn-off in my opinion.

I'd much rather have it take place in the cycle before (with
the proteans
) or the cycle after (
where Humans are probably wiped out?
) the Shepard era. Would make the concept of the inevitability of the reapers much more interesting. But apparently that's not going to happen, the fact that it's going to take place in Shepard's era is a HUGE turn-off.

Can't say I care about the Mako too much. The first ME might have a little more exploration, but a lot of those were extremely barren and frankly boring. But I suppose they could've learned from it instead of scrapping everything for Mass Effect 2 (which is the best part of the series in my opinion).

Still excited for this though, but not straight up hyped like I was a few hours ago.

I'll wait for some more solid information before judging what they're doing. If true, setting it in the Shepherd era would open up the possibility of the Reapers being in this game which would be a big downer. The Reapers and their war pretty much ruined the third game and I want that to be the last we see of them in the series. The new game doesn't need a huge galaxy destroying threat to be good. Focusing on the Mako and exploration is a positive though so I hope the "Shepherd era" comments were only in the vaguest sense.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'll wait for some more solid information before judging what they're doing. If true, setting it in the Shepherd era would open up the possibility of the Reapers being in this game which would be a big downer. The Reapers and their war pretty much ruined the third game and I want that to be the last we see of them in the series. The new game doesn't need a huge galaxy destroying threat to be good. Focusing on the Mako and exploration is a positive though so I hope the "Shepherd era" comments were only in the vaguest sense.

It's up in the air right now. I can't believe people are taking that vague tweet as confirmation.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
-[Note]: Nerd Appropriate (one of the original tweeters) also said it sounded like another galaxy but they need to double check their audio recording.
Hoping they update us soon with this so we can confirm whether or not that's the case.

Top Bottom