• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA – Gameplay Series #1: Combat

Wedzi

Banned
giphy.gif

Knowing this was coming from the team responsible for ME3's great multiplayer mode, I was expecting good things.

This video really is exceeding my expectations though. Everything looks smooth to a degree I did not think Bioware was really capable of.

And there are SO many options. Both in the skills and the gun-types it looks like they've crammed this game full of cool shit to play in a combat sandbox. I love the different gun types with ME1 style heat limited weapons in addition to the clip based ones in future games. Plasma weapons could be neat too. Looks like they have a deployable cover skill specifically for people who want to hide behind cover and play it like a gears of war in addition to crazy movement skills for people who want something a little more active.

Just... damn.

Bubble

Neo Member
From the looks of it, melee weapons don't have any effect on cooldowns, which is neat.

The huge amount of weapons and abilities definitely adds to the replay value.

Pretty sure you can still do all that and hes simply holding the button for pull down which acts as a grab and hold

If there is no projectile for pull then there is nothing to throw around corners and over cover. I cant be the only one who figured out how to curve biotic powers around corners. Clearly this doesnt work the same.

dugdug

Banned
They brought up the weapon wheel. It's where the ammo powers are all now.

Also I didn't notice this at first but the directed pull is able to grab stuff from the environment too.

Ah, cool. Did the action freeze? My fiance *loved* the original games, but, the only way she got through the combat was because she could take a second by bringing up those wheels and planning accordingly.

Sou Da

I just remembered that they actually used the hold version of pull before in an earlier trailer. Ryder uses it to trap an enemy while the turret shoots him.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Knowing this was coming from the team responsible for ME3's great multiplayer mode, I was expecting good things.

This video really is exceeding my expectations though. Everything looks smooth to a degree I did not think Bioware was really capable of.

And there are SO many options. Both in the skills and the gun-types it looks like they've crammed this game full of cool shit to play in a combat sandbox. I love the different gun types with ME1 style heat limited weapons in addition to the clip based ones in future games. Plasma weapons could be neat too. Looks like they have a deployable cover skill specifically for people who want to hide behind cover and play it like a gears of war in addition to crazy movement skills for people who want something a little more active.

Just... damn.

I know right the breadth of options in ME3 multi was breath-taking, this amps it to an extreme level.

VpomRurd

If there is no projectile for pull then there is nothing to throw around corners and over cover. I cant be the only one who figured out how to curve biotic powers around corners. Clearly this doesnt work the same.

This game is clearly not designed like that. It's definitely more fast paced, more action-y. You've got a dash, you've got a jump, so much more available to root people out of cover than a simple throw-around-corner biotic. This is coming from someone who absolutely that feature in 2 and 3.

I'm on board with the ME1 combat supporters.

Part of the reason I enjoyed ME1's combat so much was because it was more grounded than this. You were the captain of your ship, you had two squadmates who you could bring with you on your missions. You weren't just some super soldier running around like a nut, you actually had to execute a plan of attack using a combination of squad powers and your own to disable larger enemies and turn the tables. It felt...realistic? If that makes sense.

It just seems like you jump, dodge around and execute all these wicked cool attacks, but it really doesn't feel like what I always enjoyed out of Mass Effect, which was basically an alternative Star Trek video game to immerse myself in, still being a human but having the power of my squadmates and my plan of attack.

Now it's Vanquish with light RPG elements, which would be great if it was called Vanquish and not Mass Effect.

diaspora

At this point, that is just arguing semantics.
I can't really agree, ME1 had a lot in it but it was extremely shallow.

The overall point is that ME2 and 3 took different paths from ME1 and ME: A seems to be revisiting many of the elements abandoned in ME1.

This is a good thing.

I hope the next Dragon Age tries to do the same.

Sorta; Inquisition's armor and skill trees are better than Origins- the main thing that they regressed in was the tepid-ass tactics menu.

Sou Da

Part of the reason I enjoyed ME1's combat so much was because it was more grounded than this. You were the captain of your ship, you had two squadmates who you could bring with you on your missions. You weren't just some super soldier with jedi powers, you actually had to execute a plan of attack using a combination of squad powers and your own to disable larger enemies and turn the tables. It felt...realistic? If that makes sense.

It just seems like you jump, dodge around and execute all these wicked cool attacks, but it really doesn't feel like what I always enjoyed out of Mass Effect, which was basically an alternative Star Trek video game to immerse myself in, still being a human but having the power of my squadmates and my plan of attack.

Now it's Vanquish with light RPG elements, which would be great if it was called Vanquish and not Mass Effect.

You still seem pretty grounded here. The only thing that's really truly warping your view here is the addition of the jump-pack and what you can do with it.

Nothing in the continuous portion gameplay video looks particulary out of line I'd say. Hell he uses the jump-pack and hits his head.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Part of the reason I enjoyed ME1's combat so much was because it was more grounded than this. You were the captain of your ship, you had two squadmates who you could bring with you on your missions. You weren't just some super soldier with jedi powers, you actually had to execute a plan of attack using a combination of squad powers and your own to disable larger enemies and turn the tables. It felt...realistic? If that makes sense.

It didn't feel anything like that, not even slightly. Pop ME1 and play the game again sometime. It's had some horrendously janky levels/enemy set ups, ability and combat systems. I played the game for the first time only a few years ago and the whole game is incredibly poorly balanced. Even games like Kotor 1 which I played afterwards were better balanced despite being much older.

aravuus

I don't really care about the combat, but yeah, looks like solid fun. Might even play on a difficulty higher than the "story mode" one lol.

Part of the reason I enjoyed ME1's combat so much was because it was more grounded than this. You were the captain of your ship, you had two squadmates who you could bring with you on your missions. You weren't just some super soldier running around like a nut, you actually had to execute a plan of attack using a combination of squad powers and your own to disable larger enemies and turn the tables. It felt...realistic? If that makes sense.

ME1 is the least strategic game in the series. Remember Immunity? You could literally activate it and just run up in melee and shoot things with your infinite heat sink sniper rifle point blank without any danger of going down.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Awesome. Missed that one. I watched the other pull several times and it was just too close a distance to see it was actually moving.

Yeah that instance it's literally only visible for about 1 frame right at impact, so it's pretty much impossible to see.

Can anyone confirm whether a dev has mentioned anything about biotic detonations so far? Sorry if I missed it in the thread.

Don't know about dev's talking about them, but when looking at the power's description in past videos there were clear trigger and detonation designations, upgrades and icons.

Just remembering this now, but one of the things I was super vocal about in BioWare communities during the trilogy era was a wider variety of melee options (aside from just omniblade) and more robust armor options (I remember specifically thinking that mercs in those games had cool armor that I wish I could wear) and it seems like both of these things have been expanded a ton.

I wonder if the MP Characters have static abilities like in ME3, or whether they are customizable like this SP video showed. The custom loadouts seem great for SP, but for MP, I am kind of hoping for the former, as I feel like custom MP classes would probably limit replayability as I would settle on the skills I like and not experiment with different combos that are forced on you with static characters/classes.

Kin5290

A good overview of classes/skills, but still there's no continuous footage in that video longer than 15 seconds...

edit: Like a "this is how a whole fight can play out, and here's how you can use various skills" kind of deal. It's just snippets of each ability.
I'm reminded of the Horizon Zero Dawn reveal trailer, which was a reveal trailer. And it showed an extended sequence of combat from start to finish, with multiple weapons and tactics.

Looks a lot of fun, multiplayer should be once again a blast with mates. My only nitpick at the moment is the design of the armour, they all look a bit bland, the first game had the best designs imo.

ME1 is the least strategic game in the series. Remember Immunity? You could literally activate it and just run up and shoot things with your infinite heat sink sniper rifle point blank.
Hahahaha you just reminded me of that lol, yeah, I forgot to add a point about ME1 not being terribly difficult either and have many gameplay breaking abilities.

All in all, if you took away the dodging, the jetpack and the absurb actiony melee attacks, I wouldn't think it looked so cheesy and would be genuinely interested. However, all that stuff just doesn't feel like it ever integrated well with the Mass Effect universe.

It just seems like you jump, dodge around and execute all these wicked cool attacks, but it really doesn't feel like what I always enjoyed out of Mass Effect, which was basically an alternative Star Trek video game to immerse myself in, still being a human but having the power of my squadmates and my plan of attack and taking time to breathe in the world around me.

Mass Effect by way of Star Trek is dead. Not flashy enough.

But any sense of grounded realism went out the window with Vangaurd's "Biotic Charge", so this is just a natural progression of that trend. It's space magic and you'll learn to love it, dammit.

Top Bottom