• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA – Gameplay Series #1: Combat

Aaryn

BioWare GM
That's the only thing I'm worried about, ME3 gun a had a really good punch/feel to them and I don't want to get Borderlands like peas shooter just for the sake of "RPG"

Aiming is around skill-based accuracy, just like a shooter. Am I understanding your question correctly?

MartyStu

yup, as always, Mass Effect has terrible gameplay

Yeah, I noticed that as well.

I DO like the fact that they seem to be moving closer and closer to a more generic 'action' game rather than a third person shooter.

I would LOVE it if eventually the series allowed certain characters to eschew guns altogether. Or go full melee.

Edit: I thought you said 'Gunplay.'

I disagree that this looks terrible, but I will say that compared to good shooters or good action games the series continues to feel lacking.

Daaang this looks fucking good!
Seriously the combat variety and combinations seem super fun.

And visually, Andromeda is gorgeous.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Not happy about lumping sniper rifles and assault rifles in one category :(

They're separate. Pistols and SMGs are lumped together now. As well they confirmed you can carry multiple of the same type of gun. So if you want to carry two different shotguns with you you can. Technically looks like you can carry 4 of any gun going by that loadout screen. So you can be a mad man with 4 different shotguns at once.

1. Pistols
2. Shotguns
3. Sniper Rifles
4. Assault Rifles

Ascenion

It looks amazingly fun, but I still got Inquisition vibes and that scares me. It looks like the combat encounters themselves lack structure. I can't really see a logical flow or progression to form a combat loop, it just looks like it's all happening at once.

Sou Da

Not happy about lumping sniper rifles and assault rifles in one category :(

Don't they say there are 4 categories or weapons?

They're separate. Pistols and SMGs are lumped together now. As well they confirmed you can carry multiple of the same type of gun. So if you want to carry two different shotguns with you you can. Technically looks like you can carry 4 of any gun going by that loadout screen. So you can be a mad man with 4 different shotguns at once.

1. Pistols
2. Shotguns
3. Sniper Rifles
4. Assault Rifles

I imagine going 4 shotguns would slow your cooldowns to a halt though.

kosmologi

Looks great gameplay-wise. I hope it controls as fluidly as it looks. The new weapon technologies are really exciting, but I'm not a fan of the space-katanas or the other melee weapons.

Super curious if that was console footage. Looked pretty smooth, so i'd be surprised.

Here's hoping if it's PC, my 1080FE will hold up...

So glad they finally put together a string of videos like this. Faith completely restored

Lime

look at all those sweet, sweet options (and that's just the tech and combat options):

141515xju21.jpg

5151510kuxu.jpg

Looks like they've evolved ME1's ideas, which is what I wanted from them all along.

Yes, that was what I was thinking. Really great to see an expansion, rather than a reduction (which was otherwise the modus operandi in the ->ME2->ME3 process).

1. Pistols
2. Shotguns
3. Sniper Rifles
4. Assault Rifles

Thanks for the clarification.

I've personally never managed that, but I THINK you can.

That'd be rad as hell.

Pro tip from experience with other games using a similar concept (Jedi Outcast and Force Unleashed), it never gets old having cliffs to throw guys off of. Though I realize that 'cliffs' probably have a substantial impact on level design and that the game is built around MANY powers and not just this one, but..just keep it in mind!

Might be OP in MP, though.

Really like what I'm seeing! Seems like some really smart and necessary changes to the combat. I like the idea of using ME1 weapon cooldowns as well as ME2/3-style magazines.

look at all those sweet, sweet options (and that's just the tech and combat options):

141515xju21.jpg

5151510kuxu.jpg

Yes, that was what I was thinking. Really great to see an expansion, rather than a reduction (which was otherwise the modus operandi in ->ME2->ME3 proces).
ME3 had way more involved RPG mechanics than ME1, though. ME2 was a bit of a reduction, but 3 knocked it out of the park in that department.

That is not very nice. I can see why someone would legitimately dislike Mass Effect 2.

It is a good game, but it is hardly perfect or unassailable.

Oh, I'm not saying it's perfect, especially with age. But, if you legitimately disliked Mass Effect 2 then you arguably do not like Mass Effect, at all.

MartyStu

look at all those sweet, sweet options (and that's just the tech tree):

5151510kuxu.jpg

Yes, that was what I was thinking. Really great to see an expansion, rather than a reduction (which was otherwise the modus operandi in ->ME2->ME3 proces).

Looks like they've evolved ME1's ideas, which is what I wanted from them all along.

High five! This video gave me this exact impression. I am actually fairly excited now.

If the game had an extensive list of non-Combat skills I would pre-order it now.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Aiming is around skill-based accuracy, just like a shooter. Am I understanding your question correctly?

I think what he's saying is that enemies don't react realistically enough when being hitted? Like you're shooting someone and it's like you're just poking them? Could be just because of their shield/barrier though. :p

Catvoca

Banned
Looks good, I like that they don't force you to pick a class and instead let you experiment with things. The movement options look nice too.

yup, as always, Mass Effect has terrible gameplay

ME2 had some pretty good combat and ME3 was fantastic in that regard.

You should stop posting now.

Hahaha. I heard it was great and I love scifi and I love well done characters and I heard Mass Effect 2 was great. I played till I got the best ending because I wanted to give it the best shot I could but it just seemed kind of... boring.

It wasn't a bad game, it just never grabbed me. None of the characters, plotlines, locations, or set pieces stood out. I barely even remember the game. All I remember is there was a character with an eyepiece who's name starts with a G and a girl with some kind of mask who's name starts with a T and my name is Shepard. Thats it.

Oh and I think I scanned planets for resources or something lol

Evilkazzzz

Neo Member
Air Dashes?

Stealth is a viable combat option at all times?

Different types of melee weapons?

Oh boy, I wasn't that excited specifically because I haven't seen enough gameplay. Now I'm in.

Top Bottom