• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda new screenshots

Is it me or is the marketing for this game extremely underwhelming?
Nope, it's not just you. The marketing for this game has been down right awful. Like we just got the news of new trailer, yet from the precedent you can already guess that it's gonna be a disappointing ~1 min clip that shows nothing of interest.

Vocal minority of GAF. GAF gave DA: I RPG of the Year and ranked it #4 for GOTY after the Nintendo sweep of that year.
Wasn't that during the PS4/X1 drought of games though? Like, what other big console RPGs were even released in 2014? Dark Souls 2 was last gen (not to mention disappointing) and South Park is no where near as big as Dragon Age series.

I'm not saying that DA:I didn't deserve to win, mind you. I'm just saying that it just didn't have any big competition.

I don't know I'm very happy with what's being shown. Watching the lead up to Dragon Age Inquisition I was kinda bummed in retrospect they spoiled all the characters and romance options. I've been replaying the trilogy recently and had almost completely forgotten Thane, I remembered discovering Archangel was Garrus,... Games like movies nowadays like to spoil a bit much in trailers.

Davide

I still hope they go back to continuing the story back in our galaxy.

Vocal minority of GAF. GAF gave DA: I RPG of the Year and ranked it #4 for GOTY after the Nintendo sweep of that year.
There were really no games deserving of GOTY that year. Tons of decent games, good Nintendo sequels, but nothing great except Wolfenstein.

Arulan

Wasn't that during the PS4/X1 drought of games though? Like, what other big console RPGs were even released in 2014? Dark Souls 2 was last gen (not to mention disappointing) and South Park is no where near as big as Dragon Age series.

I'm not saying that DA:I didn't deserve to win, mind you. I'm just saying that it just didn't have any big competition.

It had a lot of competition. Some might say the strongest RPG competition of any year in the past decade. It's just that that competition wasn't on consoles, or AAA in nature.

The Andromeda Initiative videos have all been fan-fucking-tastic at making me excited for the tone of the game. I feel like comments about the game 'lacking a soul' or seeming 'uninspired' really need to watch those.

The Andromeda Initiative videos have all been fan-fucking-tastic at making me excited for the tone of the game. I feel like comments about the game 'lacking a soul' or seeming 'uninspired' really need to watch those.

This.

The marketing as of late has been really lackluster but THESE VIDEOS just give off so many ME1 and general space opera vibes.

zugzug

Can we all agree that Female Hero of this game is based off of Giantwaffle a twitch streamer. Looks face and smile.

I don't know I'm very happy with what's being shown. Watching the lead up to Dragon Age Inquisition I was kinda bummed in retrospect they spoiled all the characters and romance options. I've been replaying the trilogy recently and had almost completely forgotten Thane, I remembered discovering Archangel was Garrus,... Games like movies nowadays like to spoil a bit much in trailers.
They kinda fell off the other side of the wagon.

I still hope they go back to continuing the story back in our galaxy.

There were really no games deserving of GOTY that year. Tons of decent games, good Nintendo sequels, but nothing great except Wolfenstein.
And Bayonetta 2
It had a lot of competition. Some might say the strongest RPG competition of any year in the past decade. It's just that that competition wasn't on consoles, or AAA in nature.

Well yeah, that's why I specifically mentioned PS4/X1. Cause I'm sure PC has good RPGs almost every year, but they are not just mainstream.

Big Nikus

Or it was a legitimately good game well liked by GAF and the gaming press alike?

Yeah but how would it fit the narrative that BioWare only makes shit game that everybody hates ? :|

Can't wait for the videos this week and the "looks like DA:I in space" comments.

I know I sound salty, cheers. Just bracing myself for the next BioWare thread.

but

erm

Or it was a legitimately good game well liked by GAF and the gaming press alike?

that explains the negativity that cropped up around games like Shadow of Mordor and Inquisition on GAF after the PS4's library had finally filled itself out a little, right?

I ain't saying Inquisition is a bad game (fuck if I'd know, I didn't play it), but the second that game and Shadow of Mordor started grabbing up GOTY awards people were questioning it and pinning it on a relative lack of competition

NHale

Is it me or is the marketing for this game extremely underwhelming?

It's not just you. The game launches in 5 weeks and EA isn't doing anything to promote it. I know they at least had IGN on the office yesterday but still...

I never thought I was going to say this after how disappointed I was about ME3 ending but time always gives you perspective on things, and while deeply flawed in some regards, there aren't a lot of franchises out there that gives you the sense of a journey like Mass Effect did. I want that feeling again, so I want this to be great while EA is marketing it like it has no confidence in the product.

Mifec

but

erm

that explains the negativity that cropped up around games like Shadow of Mordor and Inquisition on GAF after the PS4's library had finally filled itself out a little, right?

I ain't saying Inquisition is a bad game (fuck if I'd know, I didn't play it), but the second that game and Shadow of Mordor started grabbing up GOTY awards people were questioning it and pinning it on a relative lack of competition

It's a huge open world filled with MMO quests that's not fun to traverse and with mediocre to good writing. I replayed it last month, it's meh. Especially if you compare it to something like TW3.

dr_rus

Because in 95% cases console ports sucks on PC :)

Anyway, can't wait for the new gameplay video. Maybe it'll drop today?

MEA is NV's TWIMTBP game so it should be a rather good "port" - especially considering that most FB3 games of late are pretty close to being perfect on PC.

They kinda fell off the other side of the wagon.
Why is that? We know the premise, we know the MCs, we know a bit about the RPG system, we've seen teases of other characters and races, the ship, the mako,...

I guess they could play through a mission from start to finish like they did with Dragon Age Inquisition. See the dialogue wheel in action, the AI, the powers and such. Would give us a sense of how the game is going to play.

spekkeh

Banned
It's not just you. The game launches in 5 weeks and EA isn't doing anything to promote it. I know they at least had IGN on the office yesterday but still...
EA has done a lot to promote it, and still are. It's just that they started off promoting it like a Destiny clone and now all the Mass Effect fans just kind of zoned out for the other messaging.

Dany

Banned
EA has done a lot to promote it, and still are. It's just that they started off promoting it like a Destiny clone and now all the Mass Effect fans just kind of zoned out for the other messaging.
Wait, it's a destiny clone now?

Seeing as it's the last day of the week we should be getting rumoured extended footage today?

If we still get nothing, I'll be baffled as to what EA and Bioware are playing at.

I guess they could play through a mission from start to finish like they did with Dragon Age Inquisition. See the dialogue wheel in action, the AI, the powers and such. Would give us a sense of how the game is going to play.

This is all I want!
I really don't think it's a lot to ask for :(

spekkeh

Banned
Wait, it's a destiny clone now?
No, but that's the vibe I initially got as the first marketing (well after some meaningless conceptual prototypes and historical space daring videos) was all about jump in multiplayer so you can shoot up some enemy bases and do boss rushes and get random card packs.

Months later after people were thoroughly confused they did some rushed videos about yeah there's also skill trees and dialog wheels please like us again.

I think the game will be fine, I still trust in Bioware, even if this is technically not Bioware, but I worry about EA's priorities.

Not true. Games like Bayonetta 2 and Tropical Freeze are masterpieces. Outside of Nibtendo, well...

As for ME:A I'm still looking forward to it but that's also because there are not nearly enough sci-fi RPGs.

Top Bottom