• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Andromeda Xbox One Frame Rate Test (Pre-Release)

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Frostbite i guess. Wish they would have stuck with Unreal really.
It's insane the progress/good will Epic received with UE4 after making it free. It was the best fucking choice they made in recent years, by far. And here we are, wishing they'd gone with UE instead of Frostbite. And Frostbite is a beast in it's own right lol. Epic made a crazy turn around with UE this generation.

zeorhymer

tfw when a AAA game runs in sub 900p @ 22fps

1441168aud.jpg

What is wrong with that face......

It's not uncanny valley off, but everything is off.

Theorry

It's insane the progress/good will Epic received with UE4 after making it free. It was the best fucking choice they made in recent years, by far. And here we are, wishing they'd gone with UE instead of Frostbite. And Frostbite is a beast in it's own right lol. Epic made a crazy turn around with UE this generation.

Oh i like Frostbite also. But for Battlefield. Not really a fan of EA try to have it in every game now. Think its not the best engine for some type of games.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Oh i like Frostbite also. But for Battlefield. Not really a fan of EA try to have it in every game now. Think its not the best engine for some type of games.
Definitely. EA positioned it as their UE and incorporated it into everything but it wasn't for the best perhaps. Some of tech guys at Dice are geniuses though, I give em that.

Fbh

I hope there is some 1080p performance boost mode on the Ps4 pro or I'm definitely skipping this until it's $20 or less.

frostbite.......the engine seems amazing for PC....just never seems like they give much effort towards the console versions.

It's great on consoles too when used by dice.
Battlefield 1 is IMO one of the best looking shooters on Ps4 and it's targeting 60fps on giant maps with lots of player, destruction, vehicles , etc

karasu

Didn't mass effect always have chuggy cutscenes / scripted sequences. Always remember them being pretty janky on 360. Seems par for the course!

Hopefully they'll give it a Scorpio update.

Yeah, but it's 2017. We expect more now.

nOoblet16

I don't know why the game dips in performance enduring close up of character models. They aren't nearly as detailed as other games around, lots of visible poly edges, dated shaders and very simplistic animations.

Outside of the character models and the animations the game actually looks quite good actually. There seems to be an issue with DoF atleast on PC version where you get low resolution edges even at ultra post processing.

Can't say I noticed any real performance issues while playing the game. I guess it's not a huge problem since fps dips seem to happen in cut-scenes. This game in HDR actually looks really good considering the lower resolution.

nOoblet16

Just watched the video and the performance in gameplay looks quite fine actually, except for the bit at the end where it was running at 25FPS for an extended period of time...that shit shouldn't happen.

Cutscene performance is worse obviously and it's strange as well for the reasons I mentioned previously, but since you aren't controlling the character directly it should be somewhat bearable.

a916

I'm about 2 minutes into the video... seems pretty good so far, I imagine something happens near the end of the video lol

That last part in ME3 on PS3 was one of the worst performing sections of a game I'd seen last gen. Legit 0fps.

GTA V and Last of Us were terrible as well (framerate)

nOoblet16

An engine is as good as its tools and the developers using those tools. Frostbite has shown that it is general enough to have the capability to work across different types of games and accessible to developers across various studios (hence hinting that it must have decent toolsets and documentations). I don't know what you are hinting at when you say it's not the best engine for some types of games when the same engine has shown that it can do games with large environments and lots of special effects very well. Infact it has also shown that it can do open world games well through games like Dragon Age and Mirror's Edge.

Whoa there were some stretches there where the game ran for extended periods at 25 fps during gameplay. Cut scenes as low as 21 fps. This isn't looking very great technically speaking at all.

nOoblet16

The game must be stressing that CPU hard, otherwise it wouldn't drop frames like that even at that low of a resolution...no idea why though.

The frame rate is absolutely atrocious on Xbox. Was inside an alien structure for about 2 minutes give or take and the framerate was constantly below 30. Maybe. 22-25 area.

massucci

Banned
OG PS4 is supposed to be native 1080p with Pro clocking in at 1800p. So, we know the numbers, and based on the 2 hour giant bomb stream, frame rate on Pro was mostly OK with occasional drops a few times.
With sub/dynamic res 900p on xbone? Mmm. Something tell me it will use a dynamic/sub 1080p like FF on ps4.
Whoa there were some stretches there where the game ran for extended periods at 25 fps during gameplay. Cut scenes as low as 21 fps. This isn't looking very great technically speaking at all.
I hoped this shit was ended with the past generation indeed. Finger crossed for the pro at this point.

Calibos

So we are essentially getting what we got with ME 1, 2 and 3?

-Sub 1080
-rocky framerate
-some janky animations
-some glitches

I should be a mad internet person, but I loved those games and I really liked the first hour of this one so I guess this is all fine.

Congrats to those of you who have Pros or 1080s...I will have to wait until Scorpio for all of my P's and F's...

Mifune

Mehmber
Watched about five minutes and gameplay framerate seems to be mostly a solid 30. Cutscenes are framey but that doesn't bother me too much.

Now the question is XB1 or PS4. Mass Effect has always been an Xbox franchise for me but I'll go PS4 if it runs/looks considerably better.

Theorry

An engine is as good as its tools and the developers using those tools. Frostbite has shown that it is general enough to have the capability to work across different types of games and accessible to developers across various studios (hence hinting that it must have decent toolsets and documentations). I don't know what you are hinting at when you say it's not the best engine for some types of games when the same engine has shown that it can do games with large environments and lots of special effects very well. Infact it has also shown that it can do open world games well through games like Dragon Age and Mirror's Edge.

Dont think Dragon Age and ME had good performance and good res really.

Actually, aren't most Frostbite games 720 on Xbox?

This would actually be an amazing achievement if this is over that.

60fps games are. 30fps games are 900p.

nOoblet16

Actually, aren't most Frostbite games 720 on Xbox?

This would actually be an amazing achievement if this is over that.
Those are the 60fps frostbite games. 30FPS Frostbite games have always been 900P on Xbox One. It's been pretty standard with Plats Vs Zombies being the only exception as it is 900P/60FPS on Xbox one

big fake

sub 900p and sub 30 fps? wew. this is not a good looking. sucks, the landscapes look really nice in certain cases.

first drop of 2017?

nOoblet16

Dont think Dragon Age and ME had good performance and good res really.

60fps games are. 30fps games are 900p.
Dragon Age was 900P and extremely stable 30FPS on Xbox One. On PS4 it was 1080P and fairly solid 30FPS with some minor drops occasionally. How is that not good performance or resolution?

Mirror's Edge is 900P on PS4 and 720P on Xbox One. The performance does drop but it also holds 60 fairly reasonably on both. It hits the target considerably better than any Battlefield game.

Basically my point being you said Frostbite is fine for Battlefield but not for some games (assuming you were hinting at Andromeda), I'm just giving you examples of games that are similar to Mass Effect in rendering (open areas) that run better than their contemporaries in their respective resolution/framerate bracket.

Theorry

What? Dragon Age was 900P and extremely stable 30FPS on Xbox One. On PS4 it was 1080P and fairly solid 30FPS with some minor drops occasionally.

Mirror's Edge is 900P on PS4 with a performance that did drop but it stayed at 60 most of the time. Same story for Xbox One which was at 720P. Both version run considerably better than any Battlefield game which have the same resolution.

ME dropped alot imo. Especially some levels it dropped to 40's. And alot of games have also that weird blurry effect outside of resolution. Just not a fan of Frostbite outside of Battlefield where its was really made for.

nOoblet16

ME dropped alot imo. Especially some levels it dropped to 40's. And alot of games have also that weird blurry effect outside of resolution. Just not a fan of Frostbite outside of Battlefield where its was really made for.
It only dropped to 40 for a tiny bit during certain scripted scenes where you had no control and came across things like planer reflections. It would never drop that low during regular gameplay. There are framerate analysis you can check.

As for weird blurry effect I'm not sure what you are referring to...perhaps you are talking about motion blur or their TAA solution.

Top Bottom