• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Reeves on his take of Batman

Hugo Weaving as V in V for Vendetta put in a pretty good performance and you never saw his face the entire movie either

That's fair, not saying it can't be done, just that it'd be hard to pull off without sacrificing something. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Sephzilla

Burton didn't do the all white eyes but in certain shots he made sure the eyes were definitely bright/lit for effect, I think he kind of recognized the importance of the white eyes to Batman's image. I don't think going for the all-white look is that much more of a leap than magical eye lights always hitting Keaton

tumblr_nadh9jS13o1rrkahjo5_500.gif

giphy.gif

Veelk

Banned
They did give a reason for why Spidey's eyes emote.

Can you show me the scene in the movie where they do that? I don't recall it ever showing up in the movie.

And I feel like they need to explain it because after 2 movies where he didn't have a mask that is able to move around to express his emotions, if he got one in the third movie, I'd be wondering why. It's a pretty big change that would be weird as hell if it was never acknowledged.

They really, really, really don't. "Why does Captain America now have a magnet on his hand that lets him attact the shield in Age of Ultron when he didn't have it before?" - asked absolutely no one.

It's a new gadget he has that helps him fight. That's literally all the explanation anyone needs, it's a new thing.

I mean, we're both saying how we think something would look dumb or not, neither of us have "evidence to support it", it's just our opinions and what we think would or wouldn't look ridiculous.
Well, I have evidence of the effect working on several other characters. Deadpool, Spider-man. We have lenses working for Daredevil.

So I would count that as evidence that the effect, in the abstract, is capable of working. From there, it's just a matter of fiddling around until it works for Batman.

I'd argue that the reason it works for Rorshach is that he's not meant to be a sympathetic figure. Covering his face actually aids in his portrayal, because it keeps a wall up between Jackie Earl Haley and the viewer, like how Rorschach keeps a wall up to everyone around him.

If you're making a Batman film, you probably want your audience on Batman's side, you want him to be a sympathetic character. It helps if you let people look into those peepers.

This isn't what happened at all though. Plenty of people sympathize and like Rorschach. And he was certainly written to be sympathetic atleast as far as being portrayed as a genuine, if deeply disturbed, human being.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
That sounds so cool but too bad DC execs will want some CGI explosion monster for Batman to shoot all his guns and rockets from the batmobile and batwing at the end, cause that "engages" the audience. Oh and Joker will control it or something

I wouldn't be surprised if they cooled off that thanks to Wonder Woman. The scene everyone thinks is the best scene, is one that doesn't have that and they wanted to cut, and the scene everyone agrees is terrible is the big boom boom CGI explosion scene.

I wouldn't be surprised if they cooled off that thanks to Wonder Woman. The scene everyone thinks is the best scene, is one that doesn't have that and they wanted to cut, and the scene everyone agrees is terrible is the big boom boom CGI explosion scene.

Terrible might be a little harsh. I agree that the third-act falters a bit, and that the middle act is the film's peak, but I couldn't call it terrible by any means.

Alienous

And yet, people found Rorschach to be one of the best performances of watchmen despite the entirety of his face being hidden.

I do think there's a difference between fully obscuring your facial features (Rorschach) and having eyes that are either dead, or animated like a cartoon to express a range of emotion.

The latter just seems like an unnecessary limitation - have the eyes but remove the ability to do something as simple as scan a room without turning or head, or look out of the corner of your eye.

11875501_916608531768345_264559422_n.jpg

But to Bobby's point maybe it would be something that would work when seen. I just feel like a lack of white eyes works just fine.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Can you show me the scene in the movie where they do that? I don't recall it ever showing up in the movie.

They really, really, really don't. "Why does Captain America now have a magnet on his hand that lets him attact the shield in Age of Ultron when he didn't have it before?" - asked absolutely no one.

It's a new gadget he has that helps him fight. That's literally all the explanation anyone needs, it's a new thing.

Well, I have evidence of the effect working on several other characters. Deadpool, Spider-man. We have lenses working for Daredevil.

So I would count that as evidence that the effect, in the abstract, is capable of working.

It's in Civil War, he uses goggles to focus his Spidey senses, it's why Tony gives his suit the lenses. It allows him to focus on things better and at his leisure.

A magnet is not the same as his mask now moving around like it has muscles in them. Come on.

Terrible might be a little harsh. I agree that the third-act falters a bit, and that the middle act is the film's peak, but I couldn't call it terrible by any means.

I wouldn't really say that fight is the whole of the third act, though. The fight might be terrible but the rest of the third act is good.

Veelk

Banned
I just feel like a lack of white eyes works just fine.
Sure, I can go for that. I'm fine with it either way. At best, I'd like to see white eyes work for the sake of novelty, if nothing else.

It's the people who take the position that it cannot possibly work or that it would somehow look sillier than Batman already does that I disagree with.

Veelk

Banned
It's in Civil War, he uses goggles to focus his Spidey senses, it's why Tony gives his suit the lenses. It always him to focus on things better and at his leisure.

I've watched Civil War twice. While it's possible I'm forgetting it, I simply do not remember the scene you are referencing. I heard this information somewhere, but I'm half convinced it was from an interview or art book or something, not the movie itself. As far as I remember, the only reference to the workings of the suit are how Peter didn't stick a landing because he's not used to it. That's it.

A magnet is not the same as his mask now moving around like it has muscles in them. Come on.

Because...?

It's just a gadget, in the end, like any other part of Batman's costume. "It's a new visor I've developed to help feed me information." Why is more explanation than that necessary?

I've watched Civil War twice. While it's possible I'm forgetting it, I simply do not remember the scene you are referencing. I heard this information somewhere, but I'm half convinced it was from an interview or art book or something, not the movie itself.

It's when Tony is talking to Peter in his room. They don't explicitly state why in the movie but you have a direct correlation between Peter showing Stark why he wears the goggles and the eyes on the suit focusing and unfocusing like a camera aperture.

There's a reason they made him take his mask off during that confrontation with Zemo at the end, though.

Yeah and that's fine. It's not like he's hiding a secret identity so you do get to see T'Challa with his mask off in dramatic moments all the time in the comics. It wouldn't work the same way for Batman.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
This could be all lip service, but it sounds like a dream.
It's not lip service it's what Affleck wanted to do with the character too.

“The world’s greatest detective aspect of Batman is more present in [Justice League] than it was in [Batman v Superman], and will probably be expanded upon further in a Batman movie that I would do,” Affleck said. “I think all the great Batman stories are, at their heart, detective stories. That’s why they feel like noir movies in a way. Somehow it feels like it could be The Maltese Falcon.”

http://io9.gizmodo.com/ben-affleck-is-in-no-rush-to-make-his-batman-movie-1782296726

effzee

That sounds so cool but too bad DC execs will want some CGI explosion monster for Batman to shoot all his guns and rockets from the batmobile and batwing at the end, cause that "engages" the audience. Oh and Joker will control it or something

Just like they forced Nolan to do it!!!!

Veelk

Banned
It's when Tony is talking to Peter in his room. They don't explicitly state why in the movie but you have a direct correlation between Peter showing Stark why he wears the goggles and the eyes on the suit focusing and unfocusing like a camera aperture.

Well, there you go. It's not even explained, just implied. Spiderman wears ordinary googles for bad eyesight reasons and Tony says "you need an upgrade", so you infer that the reason that happens is for that, and it's done.

Even assuming that there is some desperate need for an explanation to occur, why are we acting like this is some herculean task that writers can't pull off? Marvel did it with a few sentences. Why can't DC?

There's a reason they made him take his mask off during that confrontation with Zemo at the end, though.

So? There has never been a movie where the hero is masked for the entire run-through. Not even Batman films.

Alienous

Civil War never actually explains why Spidey's eyes emote.

He says that his eyes have trouble focusing, right? Which makes sense given that spiders tend to have eight. Therefore the goggles / eyes, which operate similarly to a camera aperture, must help him focus his vision,

They didn't spell it out but they did explain it.

Sephzilla

If they'd want to give Batman white and potentially emotive eyes they don't need to explain it. It wouldn't be that ridiculous. At least not as ridiculous as a villain who constantly dips himself in a magic pit of green water to stay young and healthy. Or a woman who can control plants with her mind.

Affleck is in, Reeves confirmed it in a very recent interview.

I don't know why everyone was so concerned in the first place. iirc, dude's signed for JL, Batman, and JL2 at the very least. After that point, yeah, they'll have to renegotiate. But, if "The Batman" reviews about as well as Reeves' last two films, then that, combined with a paycheck that I'm sure would approach RDJ money, would probably convince Affleck to re-up.

Veelk

Banned
He says that his eyes have trouble focusing, right? Which makes sense given that spiders tend to have eight. So he has goggles / eyes that help him focus his vision, which operate similarly to a camera aperture.

So they did provide an explanation.

They provide an implication that an explanation exists and give you the tools to infer it. Not the same thing.

So I would count that as evidence that the effect, in the abstract, is capable of working. From there, it's just a matter of fiddling around until it works for Batman.

This isn't what happened at all though. Plenty of people sympathize and like Rorschach. And he was certainly written to be sympathetic atleast as far as being portrayed as a genuine, if deeply disturbed, human being.

In civil war, when he's wearing his home made suit, his googles kinda do the same thing. Pete explains it helps because his very sensitive with his senses, kinda of a senses overload, the zooming in and out helps focusing. I guess that carries on in the suit stark gives him.

Sojgat

If they'd want to give Batman white and potentially emotive eyes they don't need to explain it. It wouldn't be that ridiculous. At least not as ridiculous as a villain who constantly dips himself in a magic pit of green water to stay young and healthy. Or a woman who can control plants with her mind.

Superman flew him through a building, but giving him white eyes is just too much.

Sheppard

The white eyes thing is never going to happen because it is "too comic book."

Every good person who wants to adapt a Batman story to film has stated, we want this to be real and close to the ground. A noir like tale featuring a man who dresses up as a bat. This is the reason we will never get a white eyed Batman, because it has to be real and not a comic book character coming to life on the screen.

Every good person who wants to adapt a Batman story to film has stated, we want this to be real and close to the ground. A noir like tale featuring a man who dresses up as a bat. This is the reason we will never get a white eyed Batman, because it has to be real and not a comic book character coming to life on the screen.

That's what modern Batman comics are though...

SpaceWolf

Banned

This post hurts my head.

batmanqcqt2.gif

Ashhong

I don't know why everyone was so concerned in the first place. iirc, dude's signed for JL, Batman, and JL2 at the very least. After that point, yeah, they'll have to renegotiate. But, if "The Batman" reviews about as well as Reeves' last two films, then that, combined with a paycheck that I'm sure would approach RDJ money, would probably convince Affleck to re-up.

It's all bullshit that stemmed from the Sad Affleck meme.

Nev

Banned
It's all bullshit that stemmed from the Sad Affleck meme.

Didn't he say some things that could be interpreted as him having doubts about the whole thing? That and the fact that he quit the director role for Batman.

There was more to it than the meme.

There was definitely a period of time where Warner's appeared to be prepping- or at least allowing for- the possibility this whole thing was going to fall apart.

I'm pretty sure it's not a coincidence that during this time, discussions with (and the eventual signing of) Joss Whedon started.

OldRoutes

Didn't he say some things that could be interpreted as him having doubts about the whole thing? That and the fact that he quit the director role for Batman.

There was more to it than the meme.

He's a recovering alcoholic. That's why he dropped the project.

There was definitely a period of time where Warner's appeared to be prepping- or at least allowing for- the possibility this whole thing was going to fall apart.

I'm pretty sure it's not a coincidence that during this time, discussions with (and the eventual signing of) Joss Whedon started.

That wasn't ever a consideration. And it's way overselling Joss' role before Mr. Snyder had a loss in his family.

Shaanyboi

Banned
That wasn't ever a consideration. And it's way overselling Joss' role before Mr. Snyder had a loss in his family.

Whedon sounded to have already been brought aboard to doctor the script for potential JL reshoots. His taking over as director seemed to simply be the logical choice after Snyder needed to step away.

Joss was already part of the machine before he was even announced as the Batgirl director.

And yes, Warners was in a very weird/questionable place for a second there. Shit was tenuous.

The unimagined success of Wonder Woman is definitely helping.

Whedon sounded to have already been brought aboard to doctor the script for potential JL reshoots. His taking over as director seemed to simply be the logical choice after Snyder needed to step away.

That's what I'm saying. He worked with Snyder and Johns on scripts for reshoots, and Snyder convinced him to direct when he wasn't up for it.

Joss was already part of the machine before he was even announced as the Batgirl director.

And yes, Warners was in a very weird/questionable place for a second there. Shit was tenuous.

The unimagined success of Wonder Woman is definitely helping.

Just the DC properties last year were over $1.5B without counting on the merchandising. Warners needed a reliable franchise when The Hobbit dried up, and right now that's DC properties (several per year) and Harry Potter spin-offs (every other year). They were not going to slow down, and frankly, they couldn't afford to slow down.

Top Bottom