• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matterfall |OT| A Matter of Life and Death

Wozman23

XrQY8uU.jpg

CrI9Y6P.gif

lA3R0ix.png

Release Date: August 15th, 2017 (US) August 16th, 2017 (EU)
Platform: PS4
Price: $19.99 £15.99 €19.99
Formats: Digital Release in All Regions Physical Release in Europe
Developer: Housemarque
Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe

Pre-order to get: the official soundtrack, 5 avatars, and a PS4™ theme.

xs6aCVn.png

Blast through explosive waves of arcade action in this rapid-fire twin stick shooter.

As a hero-for-hire, survive high-intensity side-scrolling war zones in vertical cities overrun by mysterious ”Smart Matter".

Weaponize alien tech to destroy enemies infected by deadly Red Matter – and control Blue Matter to manipulate the world and forge the path forward.

• Survive a unique combination of platforming and bullet hell action.
• Master aerial agility, sliding, leaping, flying in Zero G, and blasting, to destroy waves of enemies.
• Experiment with a variety of high-powered weapons to fight relentless enemies.
• Perfect your aim to grab high scores and beat your friends in online leaderboards.
• Explore sprawling locations, including Matter Mines and Hydroponic Farms.
• Witness awe-inspiring visuals as Matter flows, glows, and explodes around you.
• Enhanced for PlayStation 4 Pro: 1080p/60fps, improved graphics and environments, and High Dynamic Range visuals, compared to 900p/60fps on the base PS4.

OzeNzeX.png

Launch Trailer
E3 2017 Trailer
Reveal Trailer
Level Playthrough with Commentary
Behind the Scenes with Housemarque
IGN: 10 Minutes of Matterfall Gameplay

kVTxYCT.png

DODDvrv.png

taasF9q.png

wFGcpOQ.png

IAThnzI.png

xZyGIDu.png

Playstation Store: US UK EU
Housemarque Official Matterfall Website
Housemarque on Twitter
Housemarque Facebook Page
Discord Channel

DtN2VpS.png

Review Thread

GodisaGeek 9/10
TheSixthAxis 8/10
GameInformer 8/10
PlayStationLifeStyle 8/10
Destructoid 7.5/10
IGN 7/10
PushSquare 7/10
GameSpot 6/10

DoiOf7a.png

Wait a minute... Didn't these guys just release a game?
- Yeah, Nex Machina, and it was awesome!

Does this game have coop?
- No.

Wozman23

I'll work on adding reviews as they come in.

It feels like there hasn't been as much of a focus or marketing on Matterfall, which is a bit concerning, but that may be because Nex Machina is still relatively new.

TrutaS

Looking forward to the reviews, because if this is a proper exploration-heavy metroidvania then I'm sold. If it's just a shoot em up then I'll pass! Looks absolutely amazing though.

IbukiLordSA

The doc I got said the embargo ends 15th August at 05:00 BST / 06:00 CEST

My review is done and ready to go live in 13 hours.

I'll work on adding reviews as they come in.

It feels like there hasn't been as much of a focus or marketing on Matterfall, which is a bit concerning, but that may be because Nex Machina is still relatively new.

Yeah, Housemarque is definitely not as involved in the marketing or hyping. That was all up to Sony I guess, and they don't seem to be that interested. Hopefully that isn't indicative of the quality of the game.

My review is done and ready to go live in 13 hours.

Care to give us a quick taste?

Gitaroo

Wasn't this game suppose to be some kind of anniversary project when it was unveiled. And everyone thought it was suppose to be metroidvania style. Looks like it go the short end of the stick compare to nex machina. Guess they figure that has potential to sell a lot more because it's also on pc.

I'm not going to go crazy based on one review. Not to mention a 7.5 is not bad, it's just not expected for a Housemarque game. Either way, I expect for $20 it will be well worth it and I'm happy to help fund future games no matter what.

Tain

Is this arcade-structured like Nex Machina or is there more persistence to it? Hoping for the former.

Kureizu

God damnit ,why is the review embargo so late? I wanted to know more about the amount of content and that kind of stuff before buying this.

God damnit ,why is the review embargo so late? I wanted to know more about the amount of content and that kind of stuff before buying this.

so.. just wait? it's not like they will be sold out of digital copies. Is there any early pre-order price discount?

delSai

Even a "Meh" game by Housemarque should still be amazing.

Reviews dont matter to me, i'll play it asap and make my own opinion.

wouwie

Should be my kind of game so i'll be looking forward to reviews and player impressions in this thread before buying.

It's strange but i feel neither Housemarque or Sony really believed in this project for some reason. The original announcement got me hyped. But then there was nothing for a long while (it was all about Nex Machina), then an almost stealth announcement (or an announcement that was swamped by other news, at E3 iirc) and a very short period between that and release. And here we are, a day before release, with no reviews... not the ideal way to promote your game.

It's strange but i feel neither Housemarque or Sony really believed in this project for some reason. The original announcement got me hyped. But then there was nothing for a long while (it was all about Nex Machina), then an almost stealth announcement (or an announcement that was swamped by other news, at E3 iirc) and a very short period between that and release. And here we are, a day before release, with no reviews... not the ideal way to promote your game.

It's almost like Housemarque was completely a gun for hire and told Sony "Here's your game." and left it up to them to market and sell. And Sony has really been laying low on promoting non-AAA games of theirs and just sending them off however. Look at Everybody's Golf, the first PS4 iteration of a beloved franchise, with little more than a peep 2 weeks away, or the upcoming Knack II. Heck, Sony has been pushing Sonic Mania more than Matterfall at this point. It feels like the game is there to tick a checkbox, like "Hey, we have exclusive arcade action on PS4. See?"

It's almost like Housemarque was completely a gun for hire and told Sony "Here's your game." and left it up to them to market and sell. And Sony has really been laying low on promoting non-AAA games of theirs and just sending them off however. Look at Everybody's Golf, the first PS4 iteration of a beloved franchise, with little more than a peep 2 weeks away, or the upcoming Knack II. Heck, Sony has been pushing Sonic Mania more than Matterfall at this point. It feels like the game is there to tick a checkbox, like "Hey, we have exclusive arcade action on PS4. See?"

If you know what Matterfall, then they done their job. No need for an ad campaign for a type of game that thrives from WoM. Everybody's golf never been a (that)big seller. As long as the fans know it's out there, it should be fine. You can't make everything a blockbuster

You get the soundtrack, a theme and some avatars. If it wasn't for that I obviously would just wait.

I was surprised to see all those things when I preordered. Looking forward to that soundtrack!

Don't let that one review bring you down. I'm sure it's going to be a fun ride.

awp69

Love Housemarque and the trailer reminds me a little of Shadow Complex (with a shmup bent) so hyped for this but would like to read some reviews. I also want to get Sonic Mania so, I’ll probably buy one and wait on the other.

Also, it seems the Destructoid review was taken down. Just get an error from the link and the site does not list it. Have a feeling it was pulled due to the embargo.

5taquitos

I have a feeling this one is going to slide under the radar even more than Housemarque titles usually do. So hyped, though, in regardless of reviews because I will always support this developer.

Had to push my purchase of Matterfall back to the end of the month due to budgeting constraints, along with Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. Can't wait to dig in, but for the time being, I'll be picking Sonic Mania to get right away on my budget.

DieH@rd

Banned
The game is really rock solid. To me, it's more enjoyable than Nex Machina because of the more forgiving health system [segmented health and on-the field healing].

Top Bottom