• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matterfall |OT| A Matter of Life and Death

Currently at the final boss on Veteran. Dude is no joke. Been at it for 30 min? Lol but I can't stop until I beat him.

Edit: Finally beat him! The last phase is nasty! I froze behind a wall that I kept repairing while trying to think what the hell am I going to do? I couldn't get hit so I took that opportunity to shit my pants and try to think of something lol. Little did I know, I could still kill some enemies using Seeker and this was recharging my overcharge.

Killed him with that and just unlocked Master difficulty!

Hey guys. Is there any way to tell if you've gotten all the caches in a stage? Not sure where I'm missing them in Level 2. Just beat the boss and didn't get the trophy for Hydroponics. Thanks!

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Wozman23...

I have been a Housemarque fan since Outland in 2011 and didn't know any of those who worked at that company except one guy who was on a Kinda Funny Gamescast promoting Alienation.

I tried playing Resogun but im not into the "space ship" shooters but I do know that the game is awesome. Nex Machina is awesome plain and simple and while I enjoyed my two hours playing the game, I easily prefer Alienation because it's more my style. I love that Housemarque did Dead Nation with zombies and then moved on to aliens with Alienation and im hoping they do Dino Nation with dinosaurs. Would love to see them do that next.

Also love the loot, upgrading and the rollback with weapons. I loved Alienation but I do agree in regards to pure arcade action, Nex Machina is superior but with that said, playing and completing both of them, they are very different games. Audio and video is very similar but gameplay is different to where you can't play both in the same way. Nex Machina is fast paced where as Alienation is slower and built around the RPG elements which I personally loved in the game.

Was hoping that Matterfall was going to be similar to Outland but it's obviously not which is a shame.

As for Harry Kruger, if he's really into the arcade shooters like Nex Machina which he obviously is, it wouldn't make any sense for him to be the director of Alienation or Housemarque's slower paced games.

It seems like Matterfall should have been either delayed and improved it's short comings or been released before Nex Machina. Being released after Nex Machina hurts the game to where if it was released before, it would have been better received.

Still love Housemarque and look forward to their next game!!!

I agree with your long hair comment. In my teens and twenties, I had long hair halfway down my back but at 38, I no longer have the patience for it. LOL.

I get the feeling that the physical version might get delayed.
Amazon says it should be delivered today, but it hasn't even been shipped yet.

Product page also now says "will be shipped in 2 to 5 weeks"

Hey guys. Is there any way to tell if you've gotten all the caches in a stage? Not sure where I'm missing them in Level 2. Just beat the boss and didn't get the trophy for Hydroponics. Thanks!

Are the caches the small purple matter you find throughout the level?

Played Master difficulty very briefly. Yes, there are revenge bullets. A small meteor/rock looking thing will fly towards you when you kill an enemy. But this seems to apply only to the enemies already on the level. What I mean is, you know the enemies that spawn in? Those don't have any revenge bullets. It's the ones that are already visible on the stage.

Also on Master, you have 1 HP. That hurts lol.

After playing some more, I see the game as a 7. The lack of content really kills it. 3 Worlds is not enough.

The movement could be smoother. I would have loved to dash diagonally.

With the way they show off the player model on the main menu, they could have done some customization.

I just can't see myself playing a year from now. Or even a few months from now. If there's DLC, then I'll fire it up and get some games in but if there's nothing coming, I'll be moving on.

Yes, those things.

Quite frustrating because in order to get the trophy, you need to collect all of them in the level, but there is no indicator on any stage if you found them all. I need the ones in the mines, but now I have to play through 15 minute long levels without knowing if I'm finding them all or not.

Disappointed by the Ari Pulkkinen score, but after Nex Machine's incredible soundtrack, that's a lot to live up to.

Yeti Kong amped to the max........dayum:0

Wozman23

Wozman23...

I have been a Housemarque fan since Outland in 2011 and didn't know any of those who worked at that company except one guy who was on a Kinda Funny Gamescast promoting Alienation.

I tried playing Resogun but im not into the "space ship" shooters but I do know that the game is awesome. Nex Machina is awesome plain and simple and while I enjoyed my two hours playing the game, I easily prefer Alienation because it's more my style. I love that Housemarque did Dead Nation with zombies and then moved on to aliens with Alienation and im hoping they do Dino Nation with dinosaurs. Would love to see them do that next.

Also love the loot, upgrading and the rollback with weapons. I loved Alienation but I do agree in regards to pure arcade action, Nex Machina is superior but with that said, playing and completing both of them, they are very different games. Audio and video is very similar but gameplay is different to where you can't play both in the same way. Nex Machina is fast paced where as Alienation is slower and built around the RPG elements which I personally loved in the game.

Was hoping that Matterfall was going to be similar to Outland but it's obviously not which is a shame.

As for Harry Kruger, if he's really into the arcade shooters like Nex Machina which he obviously is, it wouldn't make any sense for him to be the director of Alienation or Housemarque's slower paced games.

It seems like Matterfall should have been either delayed and improved it's short comings or been released before Nex Machina. Being released after Nex Machina hurts the game to where if it was released before, it would have been better received.

Still love Housemarque and look forward to their next game!!!

I agree with your long hair comment. In my teens and twenties, I had long hair halfway down my back but at 38, I no longer have the patience for it. LOL.

I think the variety of games they make is great. I tend to favor the more arcade-y games that feel like spiritual successors to the 80s arcade - Super Star Dust to Asteroid, Resogun to Defender, Nex Machina to Robotron.

While I enjoyed Dead Nation and Alienation, I don't hold them in the same regard as the others, but plenty of people enjoy them just as much if not more. Outland isn't as fresh in my mind, but I do think Matterfall's pace does feel closest to it in terms of all the Housemarque games.

That's why I'm conflicted on Matterfall. It's a decent sidescroller, but it's just not in that same frenetic vein as the games I vastly prefer. But the people who more enjoy the slightly more laid back experience of something like Alienation will probably enjoy Matterfall a lot more than I did.

Still, I'd buy DLC if it was released.

And a dinosaur game would be cool. We need more dinosaur games.

Played Master difficulty very briefly. Yes, there are revenge bullets. A small meteor/rock looking thing will fly towards you when you kill an enemy. But this seems to apply only to the enemies already on the level. What I mean is, you know the enemies that spawn in? Those don't have any revenge bullets. It's the ones that are already visible on the stage.

Also on Master, you have 1 HP. That hurts lol.

After playing some more, I see the game as a 7. The lack of content really kills it. 3 Worlds is not enough.

The movement could be smoother. I would have loved to dash diagonally.

With the way they show off the player model on the main menu, they could have done some customization.

I just can't see myself playing a year from now. Or even a few months from now. If there's DLC, then I'll fire it up and get some games in but if there's nothing coming, I'll be moving on.

I think I fall around a 7 as well.

Resogun and Nex Machina really don't have a ton of content, but their perfectly crafted gameplay and worlds encourage replayability. Matterfall's got a similar score driven approach, but it just doesn't seem as refined, so it didn't sink its hooks in me like the previous games.

I think that's why it feels short in comparison. With slower based gameplay, you really need more content to make up for that lack of enthusiasm to score chase. Something more along the lines of an 8-10 hour campaign. Something like Velocity 2x. Had there been more worlds, more bosses, and an overall better balance to Matterfall's design, it could have easily been just as great as Nex Machina, but it just never feels like it gets going.

I definitely would have liked a diagonal dash as well. That's one of the many things that makes the game seem like it never got much playtesting or revisions once it hit a playable alpha state.

They need a counter for the purple matter. If you don't want to add it to the HUD then make it appear when you pause the game.

I guess I'm going to try for the Platnium. Only because I'm close enough. The last boss on Master will give me trouble.

In terms of scoring, it doesn't seem to deep. The major thing is dashing into enemies to freeze them THEN kill them. I don't know how Overcharge works in this regard.

One idea I had was killing all enemies before a checkpoint to get as high of a multiplier you can THEN go back, collecting the purple matter to maximize their value. Once you hit a checkpoint, you can't go back.

Going to play in a few, with some Nex runs afterwards.

Speaking of Nex Machina, it's currently on sale in EU. If you're from there (or you have a EU account) definitely pick it up.

So I played through the first boss last night, and I'm a bit on the fence about this game.

SSDHD: great!
Dead Nation: incredible.
Resogun: great!
Alienation: great!
Nex Machina: good...
Matterfall: good... i guess...

First off, I'm struggling with the controls. Even on the first boss I caught myself hitting X to jump, or not holding L2 to detonate bombs, or accidentally dashing upward instead of laterally when in the air and trying to get through a wall of bullets. It just doesn't feel like the controls match the pace of the game- I feel like the game wants me to play fast and with style and finesse, but the controls are designed for a much slower experience. Having to use all 4 triggers in a sidescrolling game that tries to also be a twin stick shooter just doesn't click with me.

Conceptually it seems awesome, and I was psyched to get my hands on it. Now I feel like I'm in over my head and won't ever get to enjoy trying to beat scores if I'm going to struggle my way through the whole thing. Nex Machina is simple enough to wrap my head around to where I know I can push through the whole thing and go back to work on my scores and such, but not so much here.

On the flip side, Dead Nation felt more like a singleplayer campaign with a set linear-ish path with exploration thrown in, but you can still play with speed and style despite the right stick not auto-firing. It's my favorite from them for that reason, and I didn't even feel the need to go back and try to improve my scores or find all the hidden stuff or anything like that.

I'm going to keep moving forward but I hope the controls at least sink in at some point. I'm also curious as to what kind of post launch updates they have planned, since they usually do that with all their games.

Yes, those things.

Quite frustrating because in order to get the trophy, you need to collect all of them in the level, but there is no indicator on any stage if you found them all. I need the ones in the mines, but now I have to play through 15 minute long levels without knowing if I'm finding them all or not.

I just got the trophy for World 1 caches. The one I was missing was in the first Zero G room you find. It was kinda blended in with the background so I've always missed it. As soon as I destroyed it, the trophy popped up. So you may not have to play through all levels if you find the one you're missing early.

Got the other trophies for the other caches. Definitely pay attention to those Zero G rooms. They hide some if the purple matter.

Another thing that helps with scoring is equipping the Bomb Probability Augmentation. It increases the chance to spawn a Matter Bomb when you kill an enemy. You'll gain some points every time you destroy a Matter Bomb. From what I see, there's no difference in points whether you shoot them or use the Matter Bomb to kill them but I haven't really tested that out yet.

So there will be some RNG when it comes to scoring. How many Matter Bombs will you encounter during your run? Will you forget to freeze an enemy before killing them which will give you less points?

Speed also gives you points. Gold medal on the results screen means you did it fast. I think it's silly you see the words "best time" on the results screen when there's no way to see what your previous time was. Also, one trophy says to get the fastest time on Master on every level. Can we get some sort of icon or something that shows we did that level?

I prefer the faster gameplay like Nex but there's something fun with the slower pace of this when it comes to scoring. Resogun and Nex may demand you to go faster in order to work with the constantly depleting multiplier but in Matterfall, your multiplier only goes down when you get hit.

Your multiplier can also go into overdrive, and what I mean is, if the max multiplier in veteran is 15x, for example, if you increase your MP one more time, it goes to 30x for x amount of seconds. Maybe even a minute. Not sure. This is where it's a good idea to pick up purple matter for huge points.

I have 3 more trophies left for the platinum. After that, I probably won't touch it until DLC comes...hopefully.

Oneself

Holycrap, I finally had the time to play. Again, another amazing game from Housemarque. This is pretty much the best Megaman X ever. :p

Zetta

The soundtrack alone is enough for the purchase price....the game is pretty good as well. I have been humming this song all damn day since release.

That is exactly where it was!!!

I could've sworn I checked every nook and cranny of this 3-3 but there it was. God damn. Thank you for suggesting that.

The ones I missed were also from the Zero G sections, lol. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what everyone will miss. Tough to see!

Just got the platinum. The trophy for Master speed run on all levels took me the longest.

I eventually just got bored of it. As much as I enjoy the high score chase, I have no desire to do so in this game.

It was a fun ride but I won't be touching it until they (hopefully) add DLC.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I think the variety of games they make is great. I tend to favor the more arcade-y games that feel like spiritual successors to the 80s arcade - Super Star Dust to Asteroid, Resogun to Defender, Nex Machina to Robotron.

While I enjoyed Dead Nation and Alienation, I don't hold them in the same regard as the others, but plenty of people enjoy them just as much if not more. Outland isn't as fresh in my mind, but I do think Matterfall's pace does feel closest to it in terms of all the Housemarque games.

That's why I'm conflicted on Matterfall. It's a decent sidescroller, but it's just not in that same frenetic vein as the games I vastly prefer. But the people who more enjoy the slightly more laid back experience of something like Alienation will probably enjoy Matterfall a lot more than I did.

Still, I'd buy DLC if it was released.

And a dinosaur game would be cool. We need more dinosaur games.

Well...finally downloaded and played through the first two worlds and im enjoying the game overall more than Nex Machina simply because it's more my style and what I was hoping for. Looking like an 8 or an 8.5 depending on how the third world plays out. Played around 3 1/2 hours total on normal difficulty.

I love the visuals, music and gameplay. Weird controller configuration and using the right analog to shoot is thus far, my only complaints. Being a 2D plat-former, using one of the main face buttons to shoot would have been better. Wish that they added an option to edit the controller configuration ala Alienation.

Definitely don't see Matterfall as being anything less than a 7 in general but for me, unless it completely bombs in the third world, im not going to give it anything lower than an 8 simply because it hits on nearly every aspect as Housemarque usually does.

I also think that releasing Matterfall after Nex Machina was a mistake. It should have been released before Nex Machina as I think that would have been a better decision and would have scored higher review scores.

Matterfall is definitely faster than Outland but nowhere close to Nex Machina in regards to how fast it plays. I think that it's definitely better than decent though and majority are decreasing the score because it's coming after Nex Machina as opposed to before.

The backgrounds aren't great but they're definitely good at the very least. You can tell that Matterfall got the short end of the stick which is why I prefer Housemarque to just do one game at a time as opposed to multiple games simultaneously.

I still love Housemarque and thus far, I haven't given any game from them lower than an 8/10 as im always satisfied with my purchase from them. And I always pay full price even if there's a discount simply because they are by far my number one PSN/Indie developer for digital games and want them to continue making great games.

Wozman23

The ones I missed were also from the Zero G sections, lol. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what everyone will miss. Tough to see!

Just got the platinum. The trophy for Master speed run on all levels took me the longest.

I eventually just got bored of it. As much as I enjoy the high score chase, I have no desire to do so in this game.

It was a fun ride but I won't be touching it until they (hopefully) add DLC.

Congrats on the platinum. I'm still debating a platinum run, partially due to the toughness, and partially due to the lack of desire. I got stuck yesterday trying to beat the final boss on Veteran again without dying - which is silly since anytime you beat him, you do so without dying, but don't earn the bonus unless it's a fresh, restarted run. Everything else doesn't seem too bad, but I really don't enjoy that boss. The thought of having to do it on Master, without my extra 3-hit safety net seems insane.

Curious if you have any strategy. My loadout is Seeker, +Health, +Primary Fire. I also try to farm an Overdrive from one of the early sections to use when the lasers come out, because that section is where I loose some health. I don't think Seeker is the most powerful, but it deals with the small enemies well and doesn't require precision aiming like the others.

I did warm up to the game second time through, but it still has a few things that annoy me.

Seeker is one of my main weapons. I'm able to dodge and shoot without having to really aim.

Shockwave burst (is that the name?) is the other one I use. Makes the radius of your burst bigger. Just some added protection.

I use recharge rate just to try and make things go by faster.

I also farm for overcharge, which I use for that final laser phase. Before I use it, I'll hit him a few more times with Seeker, equip the overcharge time + then activate it. It should be enough to kill him or just enough that a few shots will end him.

Been playing the game on and off thanks to Sonic Mania, but finally put more time into the game today and its "clicked" in terms of the controls. I'm now able to dash, kill and detonate bombs without seeing my multiplier tumble (well, most of the time!) and am having a great time with it. The garden setting in level 2 is gorgeous, and the more frantic pace of the stages compared to level 1 definitely helps me enjoy the game more.

I definitely feel that Nex Machina is the better of the two recent games. Its longer, has tons of secrets and the second to second gameplay feels practically perfect to me. I played the crap out of that game. I feel this one I'll probably play less, but still 100% it and still really enjoy it loads.

Its weird that the game feels very much like Mighty No. 9 in terms of the dash combo design. MN9 also had you dashing to destroy enemies for more points like this game, but I feel Matterfall does the concept better just down to the smoother feel of the gameplay and the faster pace.

Strange to see how there's so many players with identical scores in the leaderboards for the final boss, unless it's bugging out on my end. I feel like time should've been a differentiator here to avoid such an occurrance.

I love the visuals, music and gameplay. Weird controller configuration and using the right analog to shoot is thus far, my only complaints. Being a 2D plat-former, using one of the main face buttons to shoot would have been better. Wish that they added an option to edit the controller configuration ala Alienation.
I know you're talking about personal preference here and it would've certainly been ideal to actually have freedom for customization, but this would've been as cumbersome as mapping jump to a face button with the default control scheme in my eyes. Unorthodox as the controls may be, with a bit of practice I could manoeuvre and shoot simultaneously as is (without much interruption) once I got over that muscle memory hump that I retained from other titles. Aiming tied to one or multiple face buttons also sounds less precise, all things considering.

What I did find awkward however, is how you don't fall straight down after a jump or dash if you (briefly) let go of the left analog stick. Makes micro-managing your character around narrow platforms or tight spaces a tad uncomfortable, however few instances of the aforementioned exist.

Wozman23

Seeker is one of my main weapons. I'm able to dodge and shoot without having to really aim.

Shockwave burst (is that the name?) is the other one I use. Makes the radius of your burst bigger. Just some added protection.

I use recharge rate just to try and make things go by faster.

I also farm for overcharge, which I use for that final laser phase. Before I use it, I'll hit him a few more times with Seeker, equip the overcharge time + then activate it. It should be enough to kill him or just enough that a few shots will end him.

Switching to +Recharge Rate helped me get the Veteran no death trophy. Then I immediately hopped back in to battle the boss on Master, but I'm nowhere close to beating it, so I think this is where I get off the platinum train.

Still going through Sonic Mania, ahhh! And now Uncharted comes out soon.

But I have Matterfall bought and downloaded, so it's a matter of getting through this active month.

Wozman23

After a few hours of trying to beat the last boss on Master, and hundreds of failed attempts - only once making it to the very start of the last phase - I admit defeat.

Platinum achievers for this one are insane.

Hedgey

Dropping by to say hi and get some more attention for this game. I can't believe Housemarque keeps putting out more and more amazing games. I haven't even had the chance to play Nex Machina all the way through yet!

My early impressions are pretty good. It's like a well-designed Mighty No.9 (Dashing through enemies to freeze them instead of finishing them off). That's great, because I really enjoyed the mechanics of Mighty No. 9. Just like Inticreates, Housemarque is also really about those high scores. It adds so many more levels to their games, and I'm always conscious of how well I'm playing.

Soooooooo....Nex Machina or Matterfall? Which one's better?

Nex Machina

This game was built for fast paced gameplay. You have these bite sized levels, one after the other. Each level takes a few seconds to about a minute to complete. Not only that, but there are secret levels as well.

You go around collecting humans to keep your Human Chain going. The higher the combo, the more points you'll score. The catch is, there's a timer from the moment you save the first human. This timer will constantly tick down and if it expires, you lose your combo and have to start over. Each time you save a human, the timer goes back to 100% and drains once again. If you pick up a secret human, the timer fills up to 100% BUT you have the added bonus of a few extra seconds before it starts to deplete.

There are 6 sub weapons to choose from. They are all different enough to have their own playstyle. Want long range? Choose the Powershot. Want up close and personal? Use Smartbomb.

You raise your multiplier by killing enemies or by finding MP tokens. The max lives you can have is 5 so after that, any other extra live tokens will turn into MP tokens. Another way to gain MP tokens is by having all 5 powerups because after that, each time you fill up a bar from killing enemies, they present you with a token.

You might finish a level with one score but someone might have a much higher score than you. Various things contribute to that, including the order of how you kill enemies or destroying some of the environment.

Scoring is deep and comparable to Resogun. Maybe even deeper.

There's also Arena mode. A set of challenges with different modifiers. You may have to play a level for 4 minutes and see how high of a score you can get. Or you can play a world with super speed. Housemarque has said they will be switching up Arena every season. We are currently in Season 1, but I feel 2 months since release is too long for a season.

There's also customization options from avatars, weapon bullet color, armor and helmet. You purchase thewe things from the coins you get from Arena.

There are also Feats aka in game achievements. They range from killing x number of enemies to beating a level on the highest difficulty.

4 difficulty levels. 5 if you want to count Hero which isn't playable unless you 1CC Master.

Matterfall

Side-scroller. Slower placed gameplay. I see alot of comparisons to Mighty No. 9.

Your most important move is the Dash. When you dash, you release a small burst that freezes enemies. Dashing also destroys enemy bullets. You also have your double jump.

You go around each level, killing enemies, finding caches aka purple matter, and finding humans, all which contribute to score. There are checkpoints which refill your health.

When it comes to scoring, you want to dash into enemies first to freeze them THEN kill 'em. This gives you more points. Raising your multiplier is a matter of just killing enemies. There are no MP tokens to find. When you find purple matter, it's best to kill all enemies before the checkpoint THEN go back to the matter to get more points from them.

Other things that contribute to scoring is how fast you beat a level. There are 3 medals you can get after a game: bronze, silver and gold. Good means you went the fastest and you'll get the most points from that. Another contributing factor is saving all humams.

There's also your Overcharge. When you kill enemies, they have a chance to drop health and blue orbs. These blue orbs fill up your Overcharge. When it's full, press the button and you'll get many points when killing as well as become invincible. It slows things down, too. This is best used when your multiplier is high.

Each difficulty has a max in terms of multiplier. I don't remember the max off the top of my head but for example, if you're playing on Veteran, the highest you might get is 15x. If you were to fill up the MP bar once more time, it will go into overdrive and you'll have 30x for a few moments. This is key for score chasing. Each time you get hit, it'll bring the MP down.

After 3 stages, you'll fight a boss. These bosses are tough and if you're going for the platinum, you'll have to beat them on Master difficulty, which only gives you 1 HP.

4 difficulty levels.

You have Augmentations and can equip 3 of them. They range from subweapons to passive abilities. You can equip a Seeker, which is a homing shot or you can have the ability to start with more health. 12 of these in total and they are unlocked by saving humans.

Because you can equip 3, you can mix and match to whatever suits you.

Nex Machina:
Fast paced
4 difficulty levels. 5 with Hero
6 Worlds with a boss fight after each. Bite sized levels means you're looking at more than 70+ rooms
Arena mode that introduces modifiers
Deep scoring system
200+ feats
Customization

Matterfall:
Slow paced
4 difficulty levels.
3 worlds. 3 main levels + boss fight. 12 levels in total
Augmentations to play how you want
Simple scoring, especially compared to Nex

Overall, Nex is the better package. Matterfall is fun but somewhat of a disappointment.

I wanted to get into the high score chase in Matterfall but there's nothing deep about it. There are no secret levels. Barely any humans to save AND they don't contribute to your multiplier. No MP tokens.

The movement isn't as smooth either. I've died countless times trying to double jump and dash. It hurts not having diagonal dashing.

Master difficulty is a disappointment as well. There are revenge bullets but only for certain enemies? Master is supposed to be a pain in the ass..and it is, don't get me wrong, but not on the same level as their past games.

Leaderboards are weird. Why does everyone have the same score on a boss fight? That doesn't help me want to score chase.

Do I regret my purchase? Of course not. I enjoyed it enough to get the platinum, lol. I love supporting them. There is fun to be had but once it's over, there's not much. If you want to go after the platinum, you'll have a tough time but if you beat the game and don't have any interest in high scores, you'll be disappointed.

I've heard people who disliked Nex but love Matterfall. It all depends on what type of gameplay you enjoy: fast or slow. If I had to give it some sort of review, Matterfall would get a 7/10.

This game is awesome. It's another killer housemarque classic for me.

I am considering the platinum because the game is so damn fun, but I'm having trouble unlocking the Iron Lady trophy. I've sure as hell cleared through all these levels on veteran without dying and that trophy just won't pop. I don't get it. Do you need to go from first to last level in succession?

This game is a lot of fun, but GOOD GOD, the third level's boss is a learning curve like no other. I haven't died this much on this game until now.

Top Bottom