• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 is a bad game [very long rant]

AOC83

Banned
That's fair. They're dependent on your tastes, but Rockstar can't expect everyone to love the story enough to give that a pass.

MP3 could have done level streaming more like an Uncharted title... but that's probably easier said than done. Especially when you consider what MP3 does better.

The story is fine (not the best ever), but it´s comparable to movies you like. Don´t watch them over and over again or they get boring. Small doses.

Sec0nd

Got Max Payne for Christmas and I loved it! Max Payne has probably the best gun play in any (at least 3rd person) game out there.

I also really loved the attention to detail regarding the environment and the animation. The way Max holds his two-handed gun in his hands while using his pistol is great! Also reloading while holding another gun really looks phenomenal. Normally they just stick the gun to the characters magnetic back.

I personally really loved the story the way how Max talks to himself, I can understand though how people might not. The locations you visit in the game are great as well in my opinion, the feel like actual real places and they all look just great!

Maybe getting into this game without any expectations is the best way to experience this game. I was totally blown away by it and I even finished it two times in a row which I never do with games. Considering a third time at the moment!

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member

:O

Got Max Payne for Christmas and I loved it! Max Payne has probably the best gun play in any (at least 3rd person) game out there.

I also really loved the attention to detail regards the environment and the animation. The way Max holds his two-handed gun in his hands while using his pistol is great! Also reloading while holding another gun really looks phenomenal. Normally they just stick the gun to the characters magnetic back.

I personally really loved the story the way how Max talks to himself, I can understand though how people might not. The locations you visit in the game are great as well in my opinion, the feel like actual real places and they all look just great!

Maybe getting into this game without any expectations is the best way to experience this game. I was totally blown away by it and I even finished it two times in a row which I never do with games. Considering a third time at the moment!

Yeah, I hardly ever replay games but I ended up playing MP3 6 times, still not bored of the cutscenes either.

Totally agree with you OP. max Payne 3 is a boring heap of dung.
If you don't care about the story(which I didn't) the gameplay is over a decade old and it feels like it too.

AOC83

Banned
Well, I can't argue with the repetitive part, but the shooting mechanics are great.

I don´t know how you can call shooting mechanics where you barely need to aim good. Just watch somehow in the direction of the enemies and you get them. No hit zones, no KI, no tactics, no dynamics, only left trigger for flashlight, right trigger for shooting. Rinse and repeat.

So, you would rather see a minute long load screen for the fourth time?

Apologies if this is taken out of context, but a question like that is completely missing the point. Rockstar - or anyone developer, for that matter - shouldn't be making a game that requires that much loading that frequently, UNLESS they can mask it in a way that doesn't absolutely decimate the pacing of the game. Cautiously peering over a ledge is not cutscene worthy; it is not anything worthy. It only serves to annoy the player.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
Apologies if this is taken out of context, but a question like that is completely missing the point. Rockstar - or anyone developer, for that matter - shouldn't be making a game that requires that much loading that frequently, UNLESS they can mask it in a way that doesn't absolutely decimate the pacing of the game. Cautiously peering over a ledge is not cutscene worthy; it is not anything worthy. It only serves to annoy the player.

I don't really now how loading stuff works, but MP looked fantastic had some big enviroments etc. it seemed like they needed them.

Sethos

Banned
I don't really now how loading stuff works, but MP looked fantastic had some big enviroments etc. it seemed like they needed them.

No it didn't. Max Payne had small linear levels that sometimes merged it into larger areas that every game and their dog has managed to do for years without that much loading.

It's unlikely, but I hope the last DLC pack includes a single player survival mode, like Dead Man Walking from MP2. No cutscene bullshit, just straight up survival against impossible odds.

jet1911

It's unlikely, but I hope the last DLC pack includes a single player survival mode, like Dead Man Walking from MP2. No cutscene bullshit, just straight up survival against impossible odds.

They'd need to change the bullet time implementation for that to work well though.

Dilly

Banned
Max Payne 1/2 are my favorite shooters of all time, and one of my favorite series of all time period. I've played them countless times and it's why Remedy became my favorite developer after Valve.

Max Payne 3 was alright as it's own game, but for me misses almost everything that made me love the first 2. And I knew this would happen before the game came out because I know how Rockstar writes, and you just knew from the videos it was going to be more Michael Mann than Remedy. And I got into countless rage fits with other Max Payne fans on here who were excited while I was one of the few people who hated how it was turning out.

There was some cool stuff in MP3. Production values were through the roof obviously, euphoria was incredible, music was great (but different from what Max Payne should be imo), some nice looking 'cinematic' scenes/set pieces, the voice actor hadn't lost his touch at all and was the highlight.

I didn't like it as a Max Payne game because it completely lacked the atmosphere and tone of the first 2. Alan Wake is a completely different IP but is more like MP1/2 than MP3 because it has that Remedy feel. Everything with Remedy games has this oppressive David Lynch/Noir/Mystery feel to it. The settings are dreary, there are unsettling nightmare/dream sequences, you really don't know what's going to happen when you turn the corner and so on. It's like playing Jacob's Ladder mixed with Lynch mixed with 30s noir/crime films and I love it so much.

The Jersey section in MP3 was completely different from Max Payne 1/2, I liked it but it felt nothing like the original games. The rest of the game was Michael Mann stuff. The first few levels were cool just because there's nothing else like it and euphoria makes it so interesting, but it got tiresome after that because I did not care at all about the story. The setting was absolutely atrocious, it was exactly everything I knew it was going to be and worse. For me it's the equivalent of setting a Silent Hill game in Times Square. It makes absolutely no sense to me and I really hated it.

I hope Rockstar doesn't do another Max Payne. For me MP3 isn't canon, it was some side thing that could likely never please me because I always wanted Remedy to continue the series. The series ended with the Alan Wake manuscript. I can always hope Remedy will do something with it in the future but 90% of me feels it's done and Alan Wake 2 will have to suffice although I like Max Payne much more as a series.

Yeah, I agree with this.

It was more Tony Scott than Michael Mann. It's like noone here's even seen one of his movies seeing how often he gets brought up where he doesn't apply.

It's a Rockstar game, of course it sucks!

Seriously. Why do their games have such terrible controls? And weird character animations? And strange, floaty physics?

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
No it didn't. Max Payne had small linear levels that sometimes merged it into larger areas that every game and their dog has managed to do for years without that much loading.

It did.
The loading might have taken too long, as I said I don't really know how it works. There is no need for the amount of criticism it gets though.

Skunkers

Disagree on every point, except Last Stand. Not being able to reload (especially if you ran dry right as you died), and having enemies go out of line of sight so you can't kill then should've been fixed in testing. Other than that the game was amazing, once I learned staying in cover got me killed and John Wooing got me success.

Sojgat

I don´t know how you can call shooting mechanics where you barely need to aim good. Just watch somehow in the direction of the enemies and you get them. No hit zones, no KI, no tactics, no dynamics, only left trigger for flashlight, right trigger for shooting. Rinse and repeat.

Because it all works flawlessly, unlike everything in Max Payne 3.

While there is no reticle in American Nightmare, and you can shoot enemies anywhere due to the generous auto aim, in MP3 anything other than headshots is mostly usless outside of easy mode (making the off by default free aim absolutely crucial).

American Nightmare has no cover system. MP3 has a clunky cover system which often obscures your aim with vertical scenery that Max won't lean around for some reason.

American Nightmare has a variety of different enemies which require a range of tactics to deal with. Max Payne 3 has guys with guns, or guys with guns + body armor who necessitate the deep tactical use of even more head shots.

American Nightmare has a smooth as silk evade mechanic. MP3 has physics which allow Max to dive face first, like some sort of drunk Chow Yun-Fat, into every stunningly detailed obstacle littered throughout it's environments.

Alan Wake can run, and controls responsively in all situations. Max Payne can lumber, or lumber slightly faster, and generally controls like a clumsy tank.

Also, Max Payne 3 constantly makes you wait to use any of it's mechanics while it forces you to watch it's banal cutscenes. Ilkka Villi hamming it up as Mr. scratch, while awesome, is totally optional.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Even if it's true it doesn't counter my point.

I'd argue that any game that arbitrarily forces you to sit through cutscenes under the false pretence of "Still loading" is worthy of scorn. The game receives hefty criticism for its unskippable loading screens/cutscenes for the simple fact that this limitation is not one imposed by necessity as it so ardently claims but is instead purely a misguided design decision.

ironcreed

Banned
Just experienced this borefest for myself. The bullet time is neat for awhile, but wave after wave of generic guys coming out of nowhere and after seeing the final shot death scene for the 100th time, it got old very fast. Also, the story and characters are beyond dull and I just found myself really not giving a shit.

Then there is the weird visual effects, color changes, lines going across the screen like there is something wrong with my television and the constant freeze frames and storyboarding... just ugh. With the exception of Manhunt 2, I have never played a more dull game from Rockstar. Hated it, and I am usually very forgiving.

Because it all works flawlessly, unlike everything in Max Payne 3.

While there is no reticle in American Nightmare, and you can shoot enemies anywhere due to the generous auto aim, in MP3 anything other than headshots is mostly usless outside of easy mode (making the off by default free aim absolutely crucial).

American Nightmare has no cover system. MP3 has a clunky cover system which often obscures your aim with vertical scenery that Max won't lean around for some reason.

American Nightmare has a variety of different enemies which require a range of tactics to deal with. Max Payne 3 has guys with guns, or guys with guns + body armor who necessitate the deep tactical use of even more head shots.

American Nightmare has a smooth as silk evade mechanic. MP3 has physics which allow Max to dive face first, like some sort of drunk Chow Yun-Fat, into every stunningly detailed obstacle littered throughout it's environments.

Alan Wake can run, and controls responsively in all situations. Max Payne can lumber, or lumber slightly faster, and generally controls like a clumsy tank.

Also, Max Payne 3 constantly makes you wait to use any of it's mechanics while it forces you to watch it's banal cutscenes. Ilkka Villi hamming it up as Mr. scratch, while awesome, is totally optional.

Thank you for nailing down why I'd way more prefer to play a Remedy game than a Rockstar game. They just nail down the controls and feel. Dodging in the right direction in Alan Wake feels great, and cinematic without taking away control like Max Payne 3.

Instead of the skill in a usual shooter being aiming for headshots, the skill in Alan Wake is group combat management. Playing on the hardest setting is actually even more fun because if you're running out of ammo or being surrounded, chasing towards a light check point feels so tense when a chainsaw or heavy is behind you and you're low on health. It feels more survival horror then. American Nightmare really upped the enemy variety (those splitters are a tricky bunch), and makes the combat that much more engaging than in the original game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If I'm reading this correctly, you're saying that since it's possible to just use cover throughout the game that the game forces you to play it as a cover shooter? You say enemies don't flank you... then you say enemies do try to flank you, but only sometimes, but that you can stay in cover if you actively try to do so, but it's more fun to rush forward using shoot-dodge a lot. Let me know if I'm just reading that wrong.

If that's what you're saying, then how is the game just stop 'n' pop if you don't have to stay in cover? Having the option to do so does not equal "you're forced to play it like in cover 9/10 times."

Except, again: Rockstar wants you play it that way. Enemies will come in and sit in the middle. "Flanking" you only if you get one or two of them and then you can blind-fire at the one coming at you.

Here's how you play it:

*sit in cover at the start of the shoot-out since Max ALWAYS goes into cover*

BAM BAM BAM *dead dude*

BAM BAM BAM *dead dude*

BLAMBLAMBLAMBLBLAMBLAMBLAM *blind-fire dead dude*

Bullet-time start BLAMBLAMBLAM *dead dude after popping out and starting bullet time, as you're returning to cover, bullet-time end*

rinse and repeat.

Unless you reach a hallway stairs, then *snap to edge* BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM *kill enemies that were there to try to take you by surprise*

I'm not even going to discuss how sitting in cover in a lot of the shootouts only makes things more frustrating for the player.

Except it didn't. You basically get no damage sitting in cover and there's no pressure if you abuse the blind-fire.

I just want to point out that, if I'm reading what you're saying correctly, you admit to the game being more fun to play a certain way, yet you played it a different way because it's an option, albeit an unfun one. Then you say you're forced to do it that way.

Yes, you're forced to do it that way when the game won't let you push into a building to take the sniper out. Won't let you move around the initial cover to push forward/rush the airline stairs for the boss. Won't let you stay out of cover because Max ALWAYS goes into cover before a shootout and the players control is removed.

EXCEPT IN NEW YORK MINUTE: Where the game forces you to rush. And since you're rushing the game can't force you into those cover/stop-and-pop mindset-mechanics.

Which is my whole point, the game is having an "identity crisis" as that other posted stated. It wants to try to be a Max Payne, but it keeps putting Max into cover where the best option is to just sit there, bullet-time as you're coming out of cover shoot dudes quickly and pop-into-cover as you're ending bullet-time once in cover to reload.

It's clear you prefer games that eschew physics/dynamism in favor of direct one-to-one control over you character.

Yes, exactly.

Apart from some of the more frustrating parts of later levels, I spent most of my time out of cover. I feel sorry for anyone who played it as a boring cover-shooter.

I do wish more cutscenes had you running towards enemies rather than into cover, though, like that office level.

ironcreed

Banned
Too bad the game forces you into cover after every single cutscene.

You remind me of another gripe. I constantly found myself getting stuck in cover and I could not even aim or shoot. Guys would just come around and take me out while I could not move. It was awful.

UrbanRats

Using cover in Max Payne 3 is like the worst way to play the game. Shoot dodge for life. Cover is just a shoot dodge stop-gap.
It has to be integrated into the trest of the mechanics, i believe, though it isn't a regular covershooter by any stretch.
Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesnt and really, it's just the most logical thing, so you can plan your own way of clearing the room.

You remind me of another gripe. I constantly found myself getting stuck in cover and I could not even aim or shoot. Guys would just come around and take me out while I could not move. It was awful.
That was a glitch introduced in one of the patches. It's fixed now, I believe.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Even the final encounter I was shoot dodging around like crazy.

Why would you do that? With the exception of the grenades (that you can shoot if you see them coming) there's no reason to move. Enemies BARELY flank you in that part. Just sit there on top of the refill ammo box and just blindfire. PEW PEW PEW.

Rockstar Games presents: Stop and Pop Shooter 3!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Why would you do that? With the exception of the grenades (that you can shoot if you see them coming) there's no reason to move. Enemies BARELY flank you in that part. Just sit there on top of the refill ammo box and just blindfire. PEW PEW PEW.

Because I play games is the coolest and most entertaining way?

ironcreed

Banned
That was a glitch introduced in one of the patches. It's fixed now, I believe.

I just played 2 days ago on PS3 and it was still doing it, though. Regardless, I simply did not care for the game in general. Bored the hell out of me and the bombardment of weird visual effects got on my nerves.

Yes, how dare he play the game in the way he finds most fun. Shame on him. He should play it like every other fucking cover shooter out there.

Smeghead

Why would you just sit behind cover and not make use of the main feature of the game that distinguishes itself other the third person shooters out there.

Baffling

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
I'd argue that any game that arbitrarily forces you to sit through cutscenes under the false pretence of "Still loading" is worthy of scorn. The game receives hefty criticism for its unskippable loading screens/cutscenes for the simple fact that this limitation is not one imposed by necessity as it so ardently claims but is instead purely a misguided design decision.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't complain, it is a rightful complaint I just think people are overreacting a little bit.

You said some rubbish and people are proving you very wrong, yes it counters your point.

I said some rubbish?
Anyway it wasn't really a counter point because I said I THINK people are overreacting (It gets more criticism than it should) and I was shown that they don't actually mask the load times all the time, they aren't really related in that way.

And when the cutscene goes into gameplay? What happens then?

Except, again: Rockstar wants you play it that way. Enemies will come in and sit in the middle. "Flanking" you only if you get one or two of them and then you can blind-fire at the one coming at you.

Here's how you play it:

*sit in cover at the start of the shoot-out since Max ALWAYS goes into cover*

BAM BAM BAM *dead dude*

BAM BAM BAM *dead dude*

BLAMBLAMBLAMBLBLAMBLAMBLAM *blind-fire dead dude*

Bullet-time start BLAMBLAMBLAM *dead dude after popping out and starting bullet time, as you're returning to cover, bullet-time end*

rinse and repeat.

Unless you reach a hallway stairs, then *snap to edge* BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM *kill enemies that were there to try to take you by surprise*

Most shootouts start with Max already in cover. You have the option to sit in cover all the time. You apparently chose to never leave cover and then complain about how it's boring. I didn't want to play this as a cover shooter and had a blast. You are actively making the experience less fun for yourself and I still can't tell why exactly.

I say it's frustrating to just sit in cover all the time because even when your cover isn't easily compromised like in the favela levels, you get shot after only a second of peeking over/around cover (and on Hardcore mode, getting shot two-three times can kill you), so you end up popping up and down rapidly, which is tedious and frustrating.

You are not being forced to play it like a cover shooter.

Except it didn't. You basically get no damage sitting in cover and there's no pressure if you abuse the blind-fire.

You can get shot while shooting from cover because of enemies' accuracy. I played the game recently and they still have accurate enough aiming to hit you while shooting from cover. You haven't given convincing evidence as to how you "asically get no damage," Blind-fire is really inaccurate and ammo is not infinite. Considering all the places without decent cover in the game and enemies ability to throw grenades later on, saying there's "no pressure if you abuse blind-fire," is a pretty dubious assertion to make.

You are not being forced to play it like a cover shooter. Seriously.

Yes, you're forced to do it that way when the game won't let you push into a building to take the sniper out. Won't let you move around the initial cover to push forward/rush the airline stairs for the boss. Won't let you stay out of cover because Max ALWAYS goes into cover before a shootout and the players control is removed.

...And then you regain control after the cutscene and can get out from behind cover. The sniper section makes you kill the sniper before going inside the building. Yes, this is limiting, yet I could make a similar complaint about shooting the cables on the radio tower thing at the end of Max Payne or doing the same thing in the last part of Max Payne 2. Games in general have narrow design in scripted situations. At the very least, when this game does open-up and let you tackle rooms of enemies how you see fit, it's about as dynamic as any pure shooting game out there.

Even in those situations, you're not being forced to play the game like a cover shooter.

EXCEPT IN NEW YORK MINUTE: Where the game forces you to rush. And since you're rushing the game can't force you into those cover/stop-and-pop mindset-mechanics.

It doesn't force you to stay in cover, unless you're talking about that glitch that was apparently patched. New York Minute is the same goddamn game. It's the same game with a time-limit.

Which is my whole point, the game is having an "identity crisis" as that other posted stated. It wants to try to be a Max Payne, but it keeps putting Max into cover where the best option is to just sit there, bullet-time as you're coming out of cover shoot dudes quickly and pop-into-cover as you're ending bullet-time once in cover to reload.

So when there are molotov cocktails being throw over cover at you, just sitting there and burning is the best option? When there are grenades? When your cover consists of office cubicles or wooden planks that are being shot to bits? When guys decide to rush at you and you're low on ammo? When a guy is shooting a grenade launcher at you?

And even if there's no logical, in-game reason to jump into the open (and there are plenty, let's stop pretending there aren't), why not do that if it's what you want to do???? You may get shot in the game, you may get killed. But if it's fun, then so the what?

Yes, exactly.

And that's fine. But saying that kind of gameplay is inherently bad and discussing this solely based on your own hangups about the game, treating them like gospel, is bull.

Top Bottom