• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ME3, NG3:RE, Batman, EM2, WO3, BLOPS2, Darksiders 2 have technical issues on Wii U

Blades64

Banned
I would say it is next gen in terms of the gamepad and online features. Do you believe that the Wii U's hardware (the console) is next gen?

Next gen doesn't have anything to do with power. The Wii U is the next Nintendo system, therefore, it's next gen. There's no arbitrary definitions.

Chaplain

Next gen doesn't have anything to do with power. The Wii U is the next Nintendo system, therefore, it's next gen. There's no arbitrary definitions.

I do not agree. I wouldn't call the 720 a next gen system if MS took the 360 hardware, added more ram, and renamed it.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
The PS2 was the weakest console of its gen, so sales means everything. If Nintendo can sell 30 million before the competition gets out, they can define the gen. It is a risk. It's too bad the Yen is making the price so high, at $249 for the bundle it could have done so much better. Sony will have the same issue.

The PS2 was the weakest console of its gen, so sales means everything. If Nintendo can sell 30 million before the competition gets out, they can define the gen. It is a risk. It's too bad the Yen is making the price so high, at $249 for the bundle it could have done so much better. Sony will have the same issue.

They aren't going to sell 30 million in one year, their own prediction is 5.5 worldwide million by march, then you have the slow winter months

lsslave

Jew Gamer
I do not agree. I wouldn't call the 720 a next gen system if MS took the 360 hardware, added more ram, and renamed it.

Then you're just trolling because that IS what generations are in the end.

This is as bad as people who said Wii was "last gen" when it wasn't, it was a sub HD next gen console that focused more on a control scheme than power (and paid off for them)

They aren't going to sell 30 million in one year, their own prediction is 5.5 worldwide million by march, then you have the slow winter months

I think most people, especially the Nintendo faithful aren't expecting record numbers here. Ubisoft is giving support, more Japanese devs are moving Nintendo, and of course Nintendo's own IPs. Outside of that the majority of us have PCs to play as well. I don't know for sure that I'll be going PS4 / 720 next gen (in fact, I'm about 100 percent positive I won't be buying a second next gen console) and if I can get the experiences the Wii gave me I'll be happy (the twobest JRPGs of the gen, the best platformer of the gen, best FPA of the gen & then as a trilogy pack, and some of the best mid-budget games like Little King's Story & No More Heroes.)

Spiegel

This is as bad as people who said Wii was "last gen" when it wasn't, it was a sub HD next gen console that focused more on a control scheme than power (and paid off for them)

It's not trolling.

Developers didn't call the Wii next gen and next gen games didn't get made for the Wii.

You can get all technically but both denominations are right depending on what people are talking about.

Also, who gives a fuck about how people calls it.

It's not trolling.

Developers didn't call the Wii next gen and next gen games didn't get made for the Wii.

You can get all technically but both denominations are right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_(seventh_generation)

A generation is just that...a GENERATION where competing consoles are released within a one to two year timeframe.

"Next gen" was a term that referred to the HD twins and graphically-intensive PC games.

But the Wii / DS were still part of the 7th generation of video games... they just weren't "next gen."

lsslave

Jew Gamer
It's not trolling.

You can get all technically but both denominations are right.

It isn't about what people call it, it is the same tired arguments for years. Nintendo is doomed, Nintendo is killing gaming, Nintendo is kiddy, etc.

Maybe I'm just getting more bitter as I get older that the trolls haven't found a new argument in over a decade.

The PS2 was already guaranteed to get all that 3rd party support because of the PS1.

kinggroin

Banned
It isn't about what people call it, it is the same tired arguments for years. Nintendo is doomed, Nintendo is killing gaming, Nintendo is kiddy, etc.

Maybe I'm just getting more bitter as I get older that the trolls haven't found a new argument in over a decade.

You could make the argument that Nintendo hasn't given them any new material.

So the Oyua is next generation too?

I don't see why not. It's a video game console, it has exclusive games, and it's being released in the 2011-2013 timeframe when the 8th generation is starting.

It's not "next gen" if you use that term to define graphics capabilities, but it's a minor player in the 8th generation of video games.

Chaplain

I would tell you if I was trolling, but I am not. I bought the Wii U and going by what I have been playing on the system, the context being the power of the hardware, I have yet to see any reason why this is a next gen system (talking about the console, not the gamepad or online functionality). Every game that I have played could have been done on the 360 and PS3 minus the gamepad functionality.

Let me put it to you another way, next year I will be able to go to the store and buy the 720. I am "assuming" that the price of each system will be near each other. If the 720 does offer a better CPU, a GPU designed from 2011/12, and 8 gigs of ram, would it be far to say that the 720 and Wii U are both next gen systems? When one system would actually have a quantum leap in hardware performance, compared to Wii U hardware which seems to be in the generation of the PS3 and 360?

I am not asking you to agree on anything that I said. I am just explaining to you where I am coming from as a consumer.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Console generation used to be considered chronological and technological because the two were very closely in sync, that may not be true now but for some it means one thing, for others it means the other.

Why else would we have the term "generational leap" be used commonly in articles around next-gen releases so often when talking about graphics/technology?

Spiegel

I don't see why not. It's a video game console, it has exclusive games, and it's being released in the 2011-2013 timeframe when the 8th generation is starting.

It's not "next gen" if you use that term to define graphics capabilities, but it's a minor player in the 8th generation of video games.

Was the Wii getting "next gen" games and included in the PC/PS3/360 multiplatform ecosystem? No

What's the principal pourpose of a videogame console? Playing games

Okay, so by that measure you can can see why some people didn't call the Wii a "next gen" system.

Are they wrong? No

Is that the only possible interpretation? No

Chaplain

Why else would we have the term "generational leap" used commonly in articles around next-gen releases so often when talking about graphics/technology?

I agree.

It would be crazy for Samsung to release the Galaxy S4 next year, call it next gen, but the hardware is actually not as powerful as the Galaxy S2. Things like this would never happen in the cell phone market, but they are fully acceptable by some in the game industry.

Console generation used to be considered chronological and technological because the two were very closely in sync, that may not be true now but for some it means one thing, for others it means the other.

Why else would we have the term "generational leap" be used commonly in articles around next-gen releases so often when talking about graphics/technology?

7th gen -> 8th gen
Wii -> Wii U
DS -> 3DS
PSP -> Vita

All of those are generational leaps in graphics RELATIVE TO their predecessors.

This is not a matter of your opinion, generation is a time-related term and your dislike for a videogame machine will not change this. You can be of the ,,opinion'' that the sky is red, but don't act surprised if people think you're a clown for that.

farnham

Banned
637FR.jpg

Does that meme still work? Lol.

All kidding aside, it's true though that most games nowadays will have some framerate issues. I still remember the days of PS1/2 when things like that were a totally alien concept to me.

OT but..Isnt that guy dead? I know the iraqi war is regarded as an act against terrorism in the us but i thought even americans let the dead rest in peace.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The Wii U is either an 8th (next) generation console by the measurable standard in which categorical hardware releases have generally been defined.

Or it's not because of a subjective viewpoint of what defines "next generation" that will not be unanimously agreed upon no matter how much you might believe it.

It's really a dumb fucking argument, because if needs to be argued at all then you've already conceded to the term being undefined.

Was the Wii getting "next gen" games and included in the PC/PS3/360 multiplatform ecosystem? No

What's the principal pourpose of a videogame console? Playing games

Okay, so by that measure you can can see why some people didn't call the Wii a "next gen" system.

Are they wrong? No

Is that the only possible interpretation? No

Yes, if you consider "next gen" as a term that's synonymous with "cutting edge graphics."

There's just three definitions of the term today:

1. "Next gen" -> Any console in the 8th generation of video games (Wii U, 3DS, Vita, 720, PS4, PC)

2. "Next gen" -> Any console that can run cutting edge graphics technology in the 8th gen (likely the 720, PS4, PC)

3. "Next gen" -> The 7th generation ecosystem of games with cutting-edge graphics (PS3, 360, PC)

The Wii U is "next gen" because it's being released in a new generation, but it's not "next gen" because its graphics are roughly equivalent to the 7th gen of consoles.

HOWEVER, just because the Wii U isn't "next gen" in terms of graphics, doesn't mean it won't receive ports of "next gen" games that get released for the PS4 / 720. In fact, I think it's very likely that the Wii U will receive tons of ports, even if they're scaled down a bit.

From Lens of Truth:

Conclusion: As you can see in the Analysis videos the Wii U holds its own in terms of performance. Although, the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions have an overall slight advantage with frame rate, the Wii U has absolutely Zero screen tearing and a respective frame rate. Lastly, With all the speculation out there about the overall power of the Wii U, we’re actually really impressed with the Wii U thus far. Considering that developers have had over seven years to grasp the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 hardware we were expecting a lot worse outcome.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
I would tell you if I was trolling, but I am not. I bought the Wii U and going by what I have been playing on the system, the context being the power of the hardware, I have yet to see any reason why this is a next gen system (talking about the console, not the gamepad or online functionality). Every game that I have played could have been done on the 360 and PS3 minus the gamepad functionality.

Let me put it to you another way, next year I will be able to go to the store and buy the 720. I am "assuming" that the price of each system will be near each other. If the 720 does offer a better CPU, a GPU designed from 2011/12, and 8 gigs of ram, would it be far to say that the 720 and Wii U are both next gen systems? When one system would actually have a quantum leap in hardware performance, compared to Wii U hardware which seems to be in the generation of the PS3 and 360?

I am not asking you to agree on anything that I said. I am just explaining to you where I am coming from as a consumer.

My stance on PS4 / 720 are very... cautious to say the least. I feel like we are seeing more and more diminishing returns on increased power, PS1/N64 to PS2/Xbox/GCN were huge jumps and this gen was quite a bit smaller of a jump. I am wondering how far they will be able to push the next generation themselves outside of a few more polygons and a few more shaders.

If Star Wars 1313 is an example of what to expect then I remain somewhat unimpressed by any generational leap, and I've heard people say "Crysis PC levels" but that is a target point from 5 years ago.

Which is why the new play styles matter, because more and more new consoles are becoming proprietary engines inside a cheaper PC with limited functionality.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
I do not care if Wiu is or not a next generation console , what is a shame are those ports.

Not at all, well I mean some of them are weak and Ubisoft did a fantastic job between AC3 & ZombiU to show the system... okay the ports suck but as others have said the Xbox 360 launch ports were brute forced to work.

Launch woes man, something you get used to after a few gens.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It wasn't weak at launch, offered a huge jump over the previous gen & was more powerful then the first nextgen entry not to mention it was a considerably powerful bandwidth monster that was only bettered by newer tech the 3rd & 4th entry consoles that released later offered.
Wii U to the 720 & PS3 will be like a 32X to the PSX, shit the 32X offered more of a jump then the Wii U does & that was a add-on.

but Wii U is the only place you gonna get HD Mario & Zelda...and thats kinda worth something.

Alebrije

Not at all, well I mean some of them are weak and Ubisoft did a fantastic job between AC3 & ZombiU to show the system... okay the ports suck but as others have said the Xbox 360 launch ports were brute forced to work.

Launch woes man, something you get used to after a few gens.

Yes I know, but is a shame anyway. Zombie U is a great gane but not a port. Wiu is a strong machine on its way also PS1 and 2 dominares their generation not for the power but for the games.

Skyzard

Banned
OT but..Isnt that guy dead? I know the iraqi war is regarded as an act against terrorism in the us but i thought even americans let the dead rest in peace.

I don't think people believe that even in the US..I feel sorry for the state of the world if that's the case. But yeah if he is dead, we've been using this too much.. /OT

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
For people who were looking for more clarification on CoD's Wii U issues:http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-black-ops-2-wii-u-face-off

wiiucod1teuuh.jpg

wiiucod2aoug4.jpg

It's also the same resolution as the Xbox 360 game.

I haven't noticed much in the single player campaign, though admittedly I've only played the first two levels.

Any word on performance issues with the MP aspect of the game? As far as I could tell it seemed to perform pretty well. I'll dive into Single Player more later on to see how bad the technical performance is.

The Wii U is either an 8th (next) generation console by the measurable standard in which categorical hardware releases have generally been defined.

Or it's not because of a subjective viewpoint of what defines "next generation" that will not be unanimously agreed upon no matter how much you might believe it.

It's really a dumb fucking argument, because if needs to be argued at all then you've already conceded to the term being undefined.

I consider it next-gen, it's in the same timeline as the other console which will be out in a year or so, far longer than the 360 and PS3 were out naturally.

And it's far more powerful than the Wii, and in certain ways does out perform the PS3 and 360, I'm certain that when one takes a true crack at the unique hardware and tries to impress, we'll see stuff that does outclass and show stuff that would not be possible on the PS3 and 360, hell Shin'en says that it can do tricks the others can't, what, I'm not sure.

Plus the RAM allows higher-res textures when properly utilized, FIFA is the only one doing so at the moment (MAYBE Rayman, not sure, I forget the context of what Ancel said).

It may take Nintendo, Platinum, Sega, or Capcom to do it, but we will get that true next-gen looker, it's gonna take time though, I'm positive we will. :)

Log4Girlz

Wii u is next generation chronologically but not technologically, the latter is what most enthusiasts are interested in. Many tech industries tend to have technological trends every few years that the entire industry tend to follow. Products on or ahead of that curve of advacement tend to be considered "next generation". Let's stop pretending this is not the case.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Wii u is next generation chronologically but not technologically, the latter is what most enthusiasts are interested in. Many tech industries tend to have technological trends every few years that the entire industry tend to follow. Products on or ahead of that curve of advacement tend to be considered "next generation". Let's stop pretending this is not the case.

Couldn't it be argued that the new controller is technologically "next-generation"? It's pretty different than what we've seen before, even if it's implementation thus far has been pretty straight forward.

It seems to be the basis Nintendo has been going with for their platforms post-2004. The DS and the Wii were more drastic changes in terms of their implementation; a two screen handheld was a big deal and the Wii introducing motion control as a standard control method was pretty big. The 3DS and Wii U in contrast have had a more mild approach though.

Derrick01

Banned
And the Wii U is a brand new console. Let this sink in for a moment.

It has sunk in for most of us. It being new and failing to run games that old consoles breeze through is astonishing and laughable and whatever other adjective you want to think of.

Haziq said:
Couldn't it be argued that the new controller is technologically "next-generation"? It's pretty different than what we've seen before, even if it's implementation is more mild than the last console's motion controls.

That controller is likely the biggest reason why the Wii U is in the mess it's in and why it will be hamstrung when ps4/720 come out. It doesn't seem to add very much to improving games either.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I haven't noticed much in the single player campaign, though admittedly I've only played the first two levels.

Any word on performance issues with the MP aspect of the game? As far as I could tell it seemed to perform pretty well. I'll dive into Single Player more later on to see how bad the technical performance is.

It's apparently rather close in multiplayer.

Hiltz

Most third-parties prefer to innovative through software, not hardware. I think that is one of the key differences between Nintendo and most third-parties. Wii U is next-gen, but it's not what most third-parties want out of a next generation console by changing how we play games again. They don't like to think outside of the box in that respect.

Log4Girlz

Couldn't it be argued that the new controller is technologically "next-generation"? It's pretty different than what we've seen before, even if it's implementation thus far has been pretty straight forward.

It seems to be the basis Nintendo has been going with for their platforms post-2004. The DS and the Wii were more drastic changes in terms of their implementation; a two screen handheld was a big deal and the Wii introducing motion control as a standard control method was pretty big. The 3DS and Wii U in contrast have had a more mild approach though.

The primary trend in this industry has been in technical specifications. Much like the telephone/tablet/cpu/gpu industries. I could name others but the prevailing trend in this industry is better and better looking games due to more powerful and modern technology. If the durango turns out to be an xbox 360 with more ram and kinect 2, believe me people will call into question its "next gen" cred.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
That controller is likely the biggest reason why the Wii U is in the mess it's in and why it will be hamstrung when ps4/720 come out. It doesn't seem to add very much to improving games either.

It's not as big of a change as the Wii's motion control was and it probably won't have as big of an appeal to the mass market, but I think for the core gamer consumer Nintendo is after, it can be useful.

After having the console for almost a week at this point, I like the added benefit of the controller. Like, I got Assassin's Creed III on the Wii U as opposed to the 360 and only because I wanted the map on the GamePad. At first I wasn't sure how much I'd like it, but after about 15 hours of Assassin's Creed III on the Wii U I'm pretty happy with it. I always hated pausing the game every two seconds to check where Treasure Chests, Feathers, etc where.

I'm sure for a lot of people that stuff won't matter. Though I'm also sure there's a lot of people like me who will be welcoming of the added real estate of the GamePad for things like inventory, maps, item loadout, etc. That's how I think it'll play out - some people will embrace it, others won't -- much like the Wii actually, except this is less of a "big change".

It's apparently rather close in multiplayer.
That's what I was thinking - haven't had many issues besides getting into certain game types ... the community is still growing though.

Still, I'll have to check out the Single Player stuff ... I wonder if those frame rate issues will easily be patched.

Mindlog

I Believe™ it would be called Gen 7+ or something similar. It's very easy to understand. Games that are comparable to Gen 7 mainstays with their own twist. The reason being that you can still use Gen 7 as meaningful shorthand instead of disregarding the term completely because of its limited value. However, not following chronological release dates is considered an insult so I refrain or else I'm trolling. Our hobby has an easily offended audience.

It doesn't matter in the slightest if WiiU is actually considered Next Gen or not. It's a piece of hardware that will be supported for the next 4-10 years. If certain publishers are only going to support a certain performance package (this is where the term Gen 8 would be useful -_-) then that's their prerogative.

In lieu of proper titles I'm now referring to Wii U, PS4, and 720 as: Last Gen™. Last Gen™ console is the hardware category that represents the final iteration of traditional game consoles.

Log4Girlz

I Believe™ it would be called Gen 7+ or something similar. It's very easy to understand. Games that are comparable to Gen 7 mainstays with their own twist. The reason being that you can still use Gen 7 as meaningful shorthand instead of disregarding the term completely because of its limited value. However, not following chronological release dates is considered an insult so I refrain or else I'm trolling. Our hobby has an easily offended audience.

It doesn't matter in the slightest if WiiU is actually considered Next Gen or not. It's a piece of hardware that will be supported for the next 4-10 years. If certain publishers are only going to support a certain performance package (this is where the term Gen 8 would be useful -_-) then that's their prerogative.

In lieu of proper titles I'm now referring to Wii U, PS4, and 720 as: Last Gen™. Last Gen™ console is the hardware category that represents the final iteration of traditional game consoles.

If you do not come close to matching your competition's games on a technical level then you are just not in the same generation. Skyward sword was not a next generation game.

If you do not come close to matching your competition's games on a technical level then you are just not in the same generation. Skyward sword was not a next generation game.
Can say the same thing about the controller. If 720 and PS4 don't have a tablet controller they're not next gen either. Both statements are ridiculous and show you that some people are not looking at "all" the hardware

Top Bottom