• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/2 - 4/8

Diablos54

Wait... 14k!? :lol :lol I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The PS3 is sinking faster than a cannonball in the ocean! :lol

Given the DS' massive user base right now, how long does Ninty wait to introduce a successor? It seems like we're in a situation similar to the original GB/GBC line, where it took almost a dozen years to get a "true" hardware successor with the Advance. By comparison, the window where the Advance/SP family was the newest Nintendo handheld was just over 3.5 years (GBA launch in March 2001, DS launch in Dec 2004). That shorter window may have been a symptom of the short-lived "third pillar" strategy, I suppose.

It just seems to me that, provided we get the obligatory shell redesigns / minor hardware revisions, the DS may have one hell of a lifespan ahead of it, certainly much longer than the Advance had.

jetjevons said:
Well it's confirmed. The Japanese market is just kerazy about Next-Gen!
wiihaaia0.gif

Diablos54

OnWarmerMusic said:
Given the DS' massive user base right now, how long does Ninty wait to introduce a successor? It seems like we're in a situation similar to the original GB/GBC line, where it took almost a dozen years to get a "true" hardware successor with the Advance. By comparison, the window where the Advance/SP family was the newest Nintendo handheld was just over 3.5 years (GBA launch in March 2001, DS launch in Dec 2004). That shorter window may have been a symptom of the short-lived "third pillar" strategy, I suppose.

It just seems to me that, provided we get the obligatory shell redesigns / minor hardware revisions, the DS may have one hell of a lifespan ahead of it, certainly much longer than the Advance had.
I think it could depend on what Sony decides to do with the PSP, leave it, or create a successor? I mean, that's the main reason why he have the DS isn't it? Because the PSP was coming.

jarrod

Banned
At the rate things are going, I'd say 2009 or later until we see a full DS successor. I still think we're going to see at least 2 more revisions, one probably with built in flash for "Virtual Handheld" downloads via WFC.

Re: FFXIII, I doubt we'll see a Wii release, but with the way PS3's stumbling worldwide, and the fact that FF now brings in most of it's sales from outside Japan, I think we're quite likely to see a PC/360 release. PlayStation machines alone just can't support this sort of investment anymore.

X360 vs PS3 mmm, until June there is -nothing- so I guess PS3 will still be on top but that top being 10k, maybe even less. X360 doesn't seem to be able to do >5k until June.

Now in June, on the 7th PS3 gets Folks Soul. Although its from Genji developers and it looks totally opposite to japanese tastes, I guess SCEJ will somehow push it because its their second game on the system (in 8 months wow, someone give these guys a medal...).

It'll push PS3 somehow, not much of course, but it'll build into 14th June when Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Trusty Bell are released. Although I think Trusty Bell will be bigger, it won't be enough to push X360 over PS3.

[Nintex]

OnWarmerMusic said:
I don't think that we'll see a DSMicro.. the GBASP sold alot more than the micro. Also I don't think Nintendo can improve on the current model, it has bright screens long battery life and a great button setup(except for the few faulty D-pads). DS2 in 2 years i'd say.

D.Lo

OnWarmerMusic said:

Not exactly a short lived strategy when the GBA has outsold the PSP since the PSP's launch in the US, and still outsells it and the PS3.

But yeah, the DS takeoff in Japan has dented the third pillar strategy, but I wouldn't say they'd be unhappy about it really!

First Children said:
02./00. [PSP] Gundam SEED Alliance vs. ZAFT Portable (Bandai-Namco) - 58,751 / NEW
08./00. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball Portable 2 (Konami) - 29,944 / NEW

Code:

Hardware - This Week | Last Week | YTD | LTD 3. PSP - 31,503 | 39,077 | 716,054 | 5,248,183

I was expecting a little bump, not a decrease!

Does this put the PSP below what it was doing this week last year?

Regardless, I think this is very significant. Perhaps even moreso than the PS3's poor week. Such a huge, inexplicable drop during a good software week doesn't bode well for the PSP's future, and suggests that the MHP2 bump was indeed temporary. I would expect a somewhat similar drop next week, particularly with no new software coming out.

Will S-E ports like FF1, FF2, and FFT be enough to keep up interest in the system? FF:CC looks to be the only real savior on the horizon, and it's a long ways off. In a few months, we may be looking back at this week as the beginning of the end for PSP in Japan.

D.Lo said:
Not exactly a short lived strategy when the GBA has outsold the PSP since the PSP's launch in the US, and still outsells it and the PS3.
Heh, true enough. I'm sure they're quite pleased with the way things turned out, after all. I think of the "three pillars" as being a bit bunk because they always emphasized the DS as being a complement to the GBA, not a successor. For quite some time now, it's been clear that the DS is in fact the GBA's successor, and not some parallel hardware track. So while the GBA sales continue to be great on their own merits, the Gameboy hardware family will not continue.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
DS almost outsells all other video game hardware combined... PS2 and PS3 are on the verge of dropping off the sales map... and sony gets 6 out of the top 10 software titles.

Wooooo....

Eteric Rice

The DS is a monster unlike anything we've really seen before. It's already surpassed the GBA, and for all we know could just keep on going. And knowing Nintendo, they won't drop it until it's no longer selling.

Unless Iwata changes that trend.

The Wii seems to have everything under lock and key in terms of Japan, and is rapidly growing world wide. This is without any "waggle justifying" games. I suspect as support grows, we'll see unique, and really good looking games come out. Sort of like what happened with the DS.

I do wish Nintendo would package a classic controller with the Wii, though. That way traditional games would be playable in traditional format for those who wish to play it like that.

Either way, the Wii doesn't seem to be dying out, yet. And a few months ago, we all KNEW that the Wii would be in stores regularly at least a month or so after release. We all KNEW that the PS3 would stomp on it.

Imagine what we'll know tomorrow?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Mr. Pointy said:
I bet Capcom will port the GBA versions of GS1-3 onto the PSP, maybe with voice-acting for shits and giggles.

It'd be almost free money.

Then we consider that it would look HORRENDOUS when upscaled to the PSP resolution.

If they ever do a PSP version of some kind, they need a huge team redrawing all the sprites to PSP resolutions. A larger team than the one that made GS4 (and the inevitable 2 games that follows it) would be needed to do a PSP version.

And we know it will sell very well to justify using resources for it.

Xavien

Eteric Rice said:
The DS is a monster unlike anything we've really seen before. It's already surpassed the GBA, and for all we know could just keep on going. And knowing Nintendo, they won't drop it until it's no longer selling.

Unless Iwata changes that trend.

The Wii seems to have everything under lock and key in terms of Japan, and is rapidly growing world wide. This is without any "waggle justifying" games. I suspect as support grows, we'll see unique, and really good looking games come out. Sort of like what happened with the DS.

I do wish Nintendo would package a classic controller with the Wii, though. That way traditional games would be playable in traditional format for those who wish to play it like that.

Either way, the Wii doesn't seem to be dying out, yet. And a few months ago, we all KNEW that the Wii would be in stores regularly at least a month or so after release. We all KNEW that the PS3 would stomp on it.

Imagine what we'll know tomorrow?

mib.jpg

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I guess SCEJ will somehow push it because its their second game on the system (in 8 months wow, someone give these guys a medal...).
are you talking about the 'We Havent Put Out A Game In Over 9+ Months For Our Own System Award' presented by Microsoft?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Juwanna Peezadis said:
Earlier in the thread PS3 and Wii release dates through June were posted. Can anyone post the PSP and DS games through June as well?
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/ (scroll down for third-party releases)
http://www.jp.playstation.com/software/psp/index.php?released=0

Some highlights:

DS
4/19: Atelier Lise
Clubhouse Games US Wi-Fi
4/26: Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
Panel de Pon DS
5/17: Ouendan 2
5/24: Hoshigami
5/31 SD Gundam
5/?? Touch Detective 2
6/07: Stock Trader Shun
6/21: Itadaki Street DS
6/23 Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
6/28: Legend of the River King

PSP
4/19: Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition
5/10: Final Fantasy Tactics
5/24: Bleach HotS4
5/31 Minna no Golf Vol.1 GPS
6/07: Final Fantasy II Anniversary Edition
DragonBall Z Shin Budokai 2
6/21: Smash Court Tennis 3
6/28: Ratchet & Clank 5

Deku

Banned
vicious_killer_squirrel said:
You make a good point though. Historically, console wars are won and lost in Japan.

It makes sense: you lose Japan, you lose the Japanese 3rd party devs. You lose the Japanese 3rd party devs, you've lost most of the greatest games of a console generation. You lose out on the greatest games, you fall further behind in the hardware race.

It looks like this is a snowball effect: low hardware sales mean fewer games made for your system. The fewer games are made for you system, the less hardware you sell. Thus the cycle repeats itself until you get a Gamecube.

Nowhere is this principle truer than in Japan. The PS3 hasn't got a hope.

It's a lot more complex than that. There's developer politics involved as well. For example when the DS started selling like gangbusters Sony didn't lose the majority of its announced exclusives or overt support from many developers on the PSP. They were trying to make nice given the inevitability (at the time) of a PS3 victory. Despite that, the DS success did translate into more games, more support and more AAA titles that translated well to its global success.

Even now, with the PS3 struggling, I think most publishers are still hedging on a comeback in late 2006 and 2007 and won't overtly shun Sony, but certainly if trends continue for months and months and the Wii lead grows to large, no amount of goodwill is going to help Sony keep its titles and developer support.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Hcoregamer00 said:
First days sales are impressive to say the least. I bet Capcom is happy with the first day sales.

If the series has legs how high will it hit? 500,000? 600,000? 750,000?
There's supposedly 400k of stock for the initial release.

skinnyrattler said:
:lol
Oh, how the mighty have fallen. Fear not, we at least get to send the message. 299 or bust. That should be the mantra for next gen.

"I'd like to unveil our newest console, the 299 US dollar machine"

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
jj984jj said:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/ (scroll down for third-party releases)
http://www.jp.playstation.com/software/psp/index.php?released=0

Some highlights:

DS
4/19: Atelier Lise
Clubhouse Games US Wi-Fi
4/26: Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
Panel de Pon DS
5/17: Ouendan 2
5/24: Hoshigami
5/31 SD Gundam
5/?? Touch Detective 2
6/07: Stock Trader Shun
6/21: Itadaki Street DS
6/28: Legend of the River King

i know zelda isn`t THAT big in japan anymore...but come on...:D

zelda:ph 23rd juni :)

Eteric Rice

Deku said:
It's a lot more complex than that. There's developer politics involved as well. For example when the DS started selling like gangbusters Sony didn't lose the majority of its announced exclusives or overt support from many developers on the PSP. They were trying to make nice given the inevitability (at the time) of a PS3 victory. Despite that, the DS success did translate into more games, more support and more AAA titles that translated well to its global success.

Even now, with the PS3 struggling, I think most publishers are still hedging on a comeback in late 2006 and 2007 and won't overtly shun Sony, but certainly if trends continue for months and months and the Wii lead grows to large, no amount of goodwill is going to help Sony keep its titles and developer support.

Indeed, even now you hear developers (Square-Enix is one) saying that "next year the PS3 will win!" or "we feel that the PS3 will eventually pull ahead."

I honestly don't know where they're getting those ideas, but I'm guessing it's because of Sony's track record, and maybe Sony themselves.

I think most 3rd parties are missing one giant detail. This isn't the same Nintendo. This Nintendo isn't run by Yamauchi, but by a man who was also once a developer (I believe Iwata worked on Earthbound), and also has a good buisness sense.

Developers are stuck in their mind set that Nintendo is no big deal, when in fact Nintendo is getting stronger every week.

Xisiqomelir

Eteric Rice said:
Indeed, even now you hear developers (Square-Enix is one) saying that "next year the PS3 will win!" or "we feel that the PS3 will eventually pull ahead."

I honestly don't know where they're getting those ideas

gurupachter.jpg

Eteric Rice said:

I honestly don't know where they're getting those ideas, but I'm guessing it's because of Sony's track record, and maybe Sony themselves.

I think most 3rd parties are missing one giant detail. This isn't the same Nintendo. This Nintendo isn't run by Yamauchi, but by a man who was also once a developer (I believe Iwata worked on Earthbound), and also has a good buisness sense.

Developers are stuck in their mind set that Nintendo is no big deal, when in fact Nintendo is getting stronger every week.

I'm pretty sure that Iwata was a developer over at Hal Laboratories, the makers of Kirby and Super Smash Bros. I'm not sure which games he actually developed himself, but I know he was also at one point the president of Hal.

Deku said:

I completely disagree.

The DS was a flash in the pan: Handheld success from a proven developer in the handheld space. No big deal.

Now that the Wii is soaring (and the PS3 is conversely languishing) the writing is firmly on the wall. There's no goodwill when there's no money to be made.

The developers that are locked in to projects are coping. Capcom hurriedly announced that their lone PS3 exclusive will be ported to the 360. I don't see that as coincidence.

Also, I was looking at the Namco partnership with Sony on the new arcade board (the name escapes me) and I thought to myself "They're doing this to mitigate their losses on PS3 development".

moku is evangelizing FFXIII on the Wii, and to be honest, the only reason I still disagree is because of the White Engine. (and the Unreal licensing has me doubtful of even that.)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Stopsign said:
I'm pretty sure that Iwata was a developer over at Hal Laboratories, the makers of Kirby and Super Smash Bros. I'm not sure which games he actually developed himself, but I know he was also at one point the president of Hal.
From his MobyGames profile:
Satoru Iwata (DOB: December 6, 1959) is currently the fourth president of Nintendo Co., Ltd. and was the former president of HAL Laboratory, Inc.

During high school, Iwata created simplistic games that were playable on calculators, and once he completed college at the Tokyo Institute of Technology in 1982, he joined HAL the following year. Over the years, Iwata has been heavily involved in the Kirby series, as well as other well-known videogames, such as Balloon Fight and EarthBound (Mother 2 in Japan).

In 1993, Iwata became president of HAL Laboratory, Inc.

In 2000, Iwata left HAL, becoming leader of Nintendo's corporate planning division.

On May 31, 2002, Hiroshi Yamauchi, president of Nintendo Co., Ltd. for 52 years, retired from the company. Yamauchi named Iwata as his successor, and Iwata has held this position to this day. Even so, Iwata continues to aid HAL to this day, and is even said to work as an artist for the company, creating concept art for the Kirby series.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
cw_sasuke said:
i know zelda isn`t THAT big in japan anymore...but come on...:D

zelda:ph 23rd juni :)
Actually I was trying to remember the first party games.

Diablos54

Stopsign said:
Iwata actually created Kirby, as far as I know. :D

DeaconKnowledge said:
I completely disagree.

The DS was a flash in the pan: Handheld success from a proven developer in the handheld space. No big deal.

Now that the Wii is soaring (and the PS3 is conversely languishing) the writing is firmly on the wall. There's no goodwill when there's no money to be made.

The developers that are locked in to projects are coping. Capcom hurriedly announced that their lone PS3 exclusive will be ported to the 360. I don't see that as coincidence.

Also, I was looking at the Namco partnership with Sony on the new arcade board (the name escapes me) and I thought to myself "They're doing this to mitigate their losses on PS3 development".

moku is evangelizing FFXIII on the Wii, and to be honest, the only reason still I disagree is because of the White Engine. (and the Unreal licensing has me doubtful of even that.)

I've been reading this FFXIII speculation, but I just don't see it. We know FF is big in the west, wouldn't a 360 port now and eventual Wii/PS2 version make a lot of sense? I suppose it depends on how far along in development it is and how difficult it would be to downport to Wii, but would SE let Japan essentially miss out on a main numbered FF by leaving it on system/s struggling to find a solid user base?

Also, with all this FF speculation, why no speculation about RE5? It's further off than FFXIII, right? Could the Wii still get a version of it for the same reason?

Xavien

ghostlyjoe said:
I've been reading this FFXIII speculation, but I just don't see it. We know FF is big in the west, wouldn't a 360 port now and eventual Wii/PS2 version make a lot of sense? I suppose it depends on how far along in development it is and how difficult it would be to downport to Wii, but would SE let Japan essentially miss out on a main numbered FF by leaving it on system/s struggling to find a solid user base?

Also, with all this FF speculation, why no speculation about RE5? It's further off than FFXIII, right? Could the Wii still get a version of it for the same reason?

Another theory that has been going around is that SE will make a FF13 game on the Wii and maybe it will take over the role of the main title if things stay this dire for the PS3. So the PS3 game becomes a spin-off and the Wii game becomes the main title (thus less resources get pumped into the PS3 game), its certainly plausible. Also the white engine can always be ported to the 360 for more potential userbase.

Personally, i think SE will make the PS3 game a spin-off, port the white engine to the 360 and also the spin-off game to allow greater profit worldwide. Then make FF13 proper on Wii while simultaneously working on the spin-off. If the PS3 picks up, then FF13 proper stays on the PS3, if it doesn't the Wii game becomes FF13 proper.

Just saying my thoughts.

Eteric Rice

I doubt they'll do all of that.

I have to wonder, though. Will they make an engine made for the Wii? It might be similar to the Gamecube, but there's supposedly a couple of extra things in there that could be taken advantage of.

Hopefully they do. I mean, if you can get...

foto_f160006.jpg

Out of the PSP, what can they get out of the Wii?

Saitou said:
"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. This terror was soon replaced by mocking laughter and bitter, bitter weeping. I fear something terrible has happened."

As for FFXIII, didn't that originally start life off as a PS2 game? If I recall correctly, it was bumped onto PS3 because FFXII went massively behind schedule. How long ago did this happen?

I wonder if, shifted to Wii using the Unreal Engine and assuming that (say) 40% of all the work done between then and now had to be written off, how much time they'd lose relative to the average development cycle for a numbered FF game. If we assume that development costs and development time are linearly dependent, how much extra money would they have to spend to shift development of it to Wii?

Then, taking into account total development costs, we need to take a look at potential sales and thus potential revenues. If it ends up producing profit, it's safe to say that development has already been shifted to Wii.

This is of course, assuming that the White Engine would be saved for a later game and that Square Enix don't still have illusions of grandure (we are the kingmakers; Final Fantasy alone will cause the PS3 to consistently outsell the Wii).

Stopsign said:
Star Battle for the VIC20 is probably one of his earliest games.
starbattle_screen.gif

From Digitpress:
Easter Eggs: The onscreen titles only show part of these internal messages: "(C) 1981 COMMODORE JAPAN THIS PROGRAM WAS WRITTEN BY - SATORU IWATA - APR.19.1981 HAL LABORATORY AKIHABARA TOKYO JAPAN".

KINGMOKU

DeaconKnowledge said:
I completely disagree.

moku is evangelizing FFXIII on the Wii, and to be honest, the only reason I still disagree is because of the White Engine. (and the Unreal licensing has me doubtful of even that.)
You could say that I am evangelizing the move, and that would be partly true. I said it will move to the Wii as either a port of sorts, or outright moved to it.

It's not as if the PS3 is burning up the charts in the States either. The Wii is. Companies that sink MILLIONS of $$$ into a project, cant then turn and release it into a hostile market, onto a slumping platform. The biggest risk they take, is tarnishing the franchise name, or sidelining it. People who think that this isnt a primary concern of S-E are insane. Lets say they follow thru and release FF on the PS3(Next year, right) on a massivly smaller install base. It sells moderatly/poorly when compared to other FF's. That could put a brand-name(The Final Fantasy reputation) in a wierd position.

Thats why I said my piece awhile back, and I am even further emboldened by recent sales charts.

What if by the time the game comes out the Wii has 5+million units worldwide lead? Thats just being conservative! It could be much larger of a gap by that time.

Lose sales, the series gets pushed into the backs of gamers minds, and the series can lose its luster by not making a huge splash/impact into the gaming community.

Even porting it to the 360 wont help matters in Japan. S-E needs to come to the only logical conclusion, and thats that the next main FF game, has to hit the Wii if these sales continue. There are projections that we use all the time to figure out what the lead could be by that time. S-E sees similar projections.

They know the score as of right now, and they can figure out what the score will be in a years time.

They just have to make the move soon, or they will be locked into either a big delay, or releasing thier premiere wordlwide franchise onto a system with a tiny install base.

It's thier call, but money, and logic dictate thier next move.

.dmc

Banned
Nintendo, especially Iwata, deserve so much credit for calling the situation in Japan. They saw the market declining year over year and thought 'lets do something different'. Sony assumed that the market hadn't changed and essentially sold Japan a console paradigm that they were already bored of, but bigger, more expensive + with a smaller emphasis on the games than ever before. Makes me wonder how much better the PS3 would have done if the Wii didn't exist, obviously leagues better than the 14k/week it's doing now, but would it ever have matched the PS2? Perhaps not.

StevieP

Banned
moku said:
You could say that I am evangelizing the move, and that would be partly true. I said it will move to the Wii as either a port of sorts, or outright moved to it.

It's not as if the PS3 is burning up the charts in the States either. The Wii is. Companies that sink MILLIONS of $$$ into a project, cant then turn and release it into a hostile market, onto a slumping platform. The biggest risk they take, is tarnishing the franchise name, or sidelining it. People who think that this isnt a primary concern of S-E are insane. Lets say they follow thru and release FF on the PS3(Next year, right) on a massivly smaller install base. It sells moderatly/poorly when compared to other FF's. That could put a brand-name(The Final Fantasy reputation) in a wierd position.

Thats why I said my piece awhile back, and I am even further emboldened by recent sales charts.

What if by the time the game comes out the Wii has 5+million units worldwide lead? Thats just being conservative! It could be much larger of a gap by that time.

Lose sales, the series gets pushed into the backs of gamers minds, and the series can lose its luster by not making a huge splash/impact into the gaming community.

Even porting it to the 360 wont help matters in Japan. S-E needs to come to the only logical conclusion, and thats that the next main FF game, has to hit the Wii if these sales continue. There are projections that we use all the time to figure out what the lead could be by that time. S-E sees similar projections.

They know the score as of right now, and they can figure out what the score will be in a years time.

They just have to make the move soon, or they will be locked into either a big delay, or releasing thier premiere wordlwide franchise onto a system with a tiny install base.

It's thier call, but money, and logic dictate thier next move.

Resident Evil Gamecube exclusivity?

Top Bottom