• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2014 (Dec 30 - Jan 05)

If someone feels insulted from me he can reply, he doesn't need lawyer.

Like I said find something better to do when I bury Wii U.

Right...Bury it at your own will, if that is what will calm and soothe you.

Yes, but we are talking about January.
Plus, it's evident that, or you are the brand new "fever", like the Wii was (with motion sensors and Wii Sport, or Balance board and Wii Fit), or you really need CONSTANT releases to support a console. And Nintendo is developing a very good amount of softwares for one company only, but the complete/absolute/huge lack of third parties, that's not enough. And it should be their responsability to guarantee parternship able to sustain the console outside the stream of first party production.
So: no Direct will be able to sustain sales for a console with no games coming out.
I think that DK in February will help, even if only temporary, but what before and after?

Yes, we can all agree that Directs cannot sustain sales..
I was wondering how could Nintendo in a realistic and short time process fill up the gaps..More indie games from Nintendo, up ports from 3DS?

lefantome

DS ans PSP sold more than 50 millions units in Japan

With Vita doing bad and 3DS declining since last year without ever reaching comparable DS sales looks like that the handheld market too a huge hit in Japan too.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The gaps in the release schedule were to provide indies and 3rd parties opportunities to release their software without fear of being overlooked by Nintendo's 1st party software. But since the 3rd party support is miniscule at best it looks more like a desert drought.

Somnid

The gaps in the release schedule were to provide indies and 3rd parties opportunities to release their software without fear of being overlooked by Nintendo's 1st party software. But since the 3rd party support is miniscule at best it looks more like a desert drought.

That was true for early 3DS. I don't think that's true anymore. Nintendo is working to its limit.

Well, I think from this year on, more indie games will be released, but what about Japan?
Has these weird legislations about small developers ceased to exist?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Are you referring to NSMBU and Wii Party U? Because...

Well, Wii Party U has some legs besides the bundles. It is constantly above NSMBU with around 10k (even more during the past weeks) and present in the Media Create tops (140 k total last week and it launched with 37k in week 44).

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Well, I think from this year on, more indie games will be released, but what about Japan?
Has these weird legislations about small developers ceased to exist?

Hard to say. I think this year will be the year Wii U will have to prove itself and attempt a turnaround. But only time can tell us that. Iwata always says there are more projects to look forward to but that could be PR talk for all we know.

Alrus

DK isn't going to do anything for the Wii U. The only software that might do something for it is Smash, but the effect will be muted due to the multiplat release.

Edit: Forgot about Mario Kart, that should help a bit.

At this point though, it's pretty obvious that Nintendo won't be able to sustain the Wii U alone, and there's zero third party game in the horizon. There's no saving it, refusing to have a higher end system was a stupid decision.

DaBoss

GTAV is the beast that keeps on going. I know this sounds hopeful, but maybe it can get to 1 million with a best release.

I'm surprised that Super Mario 3D Land even charted and sold better than NSMB2. Though I just checked last week and it charted then too, but it didn't outsell NSMB2.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Yes, we can all agree that Directs cannot sustain sales..
I was wondering how could Nintendo in a realistic and short time process fill up the gaps..More indie games from Nintendo, up ports from 3DS?

In the short term, they simply can't. They can't even cut the Wii U price (that would somehow help); the can't ditch the gamepad to cut the price/costs (that would be a mess, I think, for many reasons), they can't push their games out if unfinished/rushed (it would hurt in the mid-long term) and so on. They can't even buy third party esclusives (while multi would probably be useless), because would be financially tough for a company like that. Even 3DS up port would be useless, considering how Japan is handheld land, and especially 3DS-land.

Partnership with thirs parties (like Atlus for FE x SMT or Koei for Zelda Musou) would probably be the only way to fill the gaps in the lineup between one first/second party games and another, but also this takes time.

I think that they really should invest in optimizing their software development processes (and they are doing so with the new R&D structure) and in enlarging their "second party" studios (creating new studios or acquiring them, as they did for Monolith software or ND Cube, for example with Good Feel, Brownie Browns, or even western ones - as LM2 shows - as Next Level, the ex Kuju, and so on), but those are long terms actions.

In the short terms they can only limit the damage. Create bundles to add value without increasing losses for example. Wait to lower the production costs to start profit from every unit sold. Speed up the GCHD ports as WW (just 6 months of development. Ok, it did sold horribly in Japan: they should better chose the game for that market probably) and so on.

And hope to be able to increase the release of games from now on (1 per month would be a good start for example)

ozfunghi

DK isn't going to do anything for the Wii U. The only software that might do something for it is Smash, but the effect will be muted due to the multiplat release.

The game will sell, but it won't shift hardware. Unlike other games Retro could have been doing.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

I believe the plan is to release the Wii U version first and the 3DS version will release 2nd. If Sakurai's development issues are to be believed.

The game will sell, but it won't shift hardware. Unlike other games Retro could have been doing.

Like Metroid? Doubt it.

Yakuza 5 is the best selling entry in the series based on single release. Yakuza 1-2 did much better when you add the budget releases because the 1800yen The Best versions sold a TON back in the day. Yakuza 3 is the second worst selling entry in the series, next to the original release of Yakuza 1 (it had almost zero hype at launch, and then just kept growing, massive legs).

Sweet, so the series is growing(atleast in Japan), and Sega will not be thinking about ditching it.

I got it from Garaph. http://garaph.info/weeklyoverview.php?week=2003-01-06

But checking past weeks, I think something is off.

Go with Bruno:

Ah thanks, charts dating back to 2000!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I think that the game will sell at least decently (considering Wii U situation) and will move some units in the release week.
Even more will do Mario kart.
Smash could be bigger, but as you said will be toned down by the 3DS version, even if that will be released at a later date.

Wii U sold less than Gamecube did in the same week? Yikes.

Wii U showed slighlty better interest during Xmas holidays, and slightly less interest outside the Holidays. Even before December we saw it sell less than GC in similar periods, that's not so new. Wasn't the common feeling that AT BEST wiiu in Japan will be able to match GC LTD sales? It was just December that showed an unexpected spike (nothing HUGE) in the console.

Toth

Lol that spin.

FFX/X-2 Hd, a HD remaster has outsold a new entry(not main) in the FF series. I don't care how you spin it but it shows FFX Hd was a success and LR was not so much of one.

SE should port Type-0 to PS3 as well since it has an audience as well, especially abroad.

Since their sales are identical, if one is a success, then the other is too. As usual, the same people will do anything to tear down LR, a SPINOFF FF game ala Dirge of Cerberus. But then again I need to stop caring and just enjoy....

Alrus

You're talking about Metroid? That would have sold even worse than DK. Metroid isn't that popular and Other M completely poisoned the well. DKCR is Retro's best selling game so far too.

RalchAC

Dirge of Cerberus+Bouncer HD double pack only a matter of time now.

Won't be more logic a FFVII: For the Remake Collection? Crisis Core HD + Dirge of Cerberus HD (no original game remastered). They'll say it has underperformed and we'll get FFVII for iOS with updated character models but no more changes.

I am a fighter, because i don't agree with you?

Because you're just speaking like some Vita warriors (myself included) around 6 months ago, saying the Vita will sell +20k regularly during the whole year. And there were some bloody weeks (not a lot, but that baseline didn't applied at all) where even Smoky was sad.

DaBoss

Since their sales are identical, if one is a success, then the other is too. As usual, the same people will do anything to tear down LR, a SPINOFF FF game ala Dirge of Cerberus. But then again I need to stop caring and just enjoy....
One is an HD remake. The other is a new entry that is XIII-3. If the HD remake is selling better than the new entry, then the new entry is not a success.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Code:
Media Create Sales 3/3 - 3/9 2008
05./00. [WII] Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Nintendo) - 32,388 / NEW

Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. WII   -    57,068 |    64,535 |   888,409 |  5,504,569

prag16

Banned
You're talking about Metroid? That would have sold even worse than DK. Metroid isn't that popular and Other M completely poisoned the well. DKCR is Retro's best selling game so far too.

He's talking about moving hardware though. I'd wager that a higher percentage of hardcore DKC fans already own a Wii U than hardcore Metroid Prime fans. Of course we don't know that for a fact, but it's a separate argument than determining which game we'd expect to have more total sales.

EDIT: Just saw kingsnake's post. While the situations aren't necessarily equivalent in every way, that's evidence against expecting Metroid to drive more hardware sales than DKC.

Personally I had been hoping for a new ip from Retro. That'd be a complete unknown in terms of hardware shifting ability, but would have been very interesting to see something new rather than yet another 2.5D sidescroller (even if it's a fantastic one).

hiska-kun

from the other thread: some 3DS sw is up and some other is down. so, what's your opinion on that?

I said it in the first page. Just Meh lol
Could be worse, and of course could have been better. ;)

It's obvious Nintendo has to do something to stop this trend (2DS for example). Christmas already was a bit disappointment for 3DS hardware, but software was solid, New Year Eve didn't meet my expectations. But let's say was okish looking all the circumstances (mobiles and so).
At least Kirby is looking promising. Not only in COMG, I've read in Tsutaya that pre-orders are high, and the expectations for the game as well.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
He's talking about moving hardware though. I'd wager that a higher percentage of hardcore DKC fans already own a Wii U than hardcore Metroid Prime fans. Of course we don't know that for a fact, but it's a separate argument than determining which game we'd expect to have more total sales.

If we can pull up the opening sales of DKCR and Metroid Prime 3 and subtract the opening week sales in accordance with the number of consoles sold that same week we can deduct how many users bought a system for that game on release. While not entirely accurate it will give us something. Conversely we can also bring up the same for the other 2 Metroid Prime entries as well as Other M for the respective systems they were on.

Looks like Wii U software is starting to go evergreen. Always a good sign.

lol

That would be correct if they had the same budget. One is a HD remaster the other was advertised as the next big entry in the FF13 saga but as we see was anything but big.

DoC was a shooter and still sold better.

ozfunghi

Fewer people buy Metroid and F-Zero than DK, unfortunately.

Like Metroid? Doubt it.

Did i say Metroid? No, but lets pretend i did. I think more people would buy the console for Metroid (prime) than they would for Donkey Kong Country, especially since we got one just a few years back and a remake of that on the 3DS. I know more people bought DKC than MP3, but those were different situations. Wii was a runaway hit with the casual gamer (the core gamer owned a PS360), the gamer that plays a couple of games per generation and doesn't know all that much about games... but they DO know the name Donkey Kong. WiiU is the total opposite, as casual or non-gamers hardly know it exists, and the more seasoned gamer is holding off due to a lack of compelling software (unwarranted IMO if you look at what's available currently, but whatever). DKC may have been a fine game, but i don't believe it's the kind of game people would buy a console for. Something like Metroid Prime, is. Let me put it like this: when MP released in 2002(?) it was a game that warranted owning a gamecube, if only for the 2 million that actually bought the game.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I said it in the first page. Just Meh lol
Could be worse, and of course could have been better. ;)

It's obvious Nintendo has to do something to stop this trend (2DS for example). Christmas already was a bit disappointment for 3DS hardware, but software was solid, New Year Eve didn't meet my expectations. But let's say was okish looking all the circumstances (mobiles and so).
At least Kirby is looking promising. Not only in COMG, I've read in Tsutaya that pre-orders are high, and the expectations for the game as well.

sorry, I missed that in the first page. thanks for the head up! let's see if Kirby will sell well and help HW.
I thnk that this year will see less pur million sellers, but the 2DS and a consistent stream of solid software could help in keeping almost similar the YtD. I think it will be down YoY but could be just a small decline. I'm also curious to see if PokemonZ or MH4G will be released or not.

Top Bottom