• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2015 (Dec 29 - Jan 04)

Pezus

Sony hardware gets a boost this week while Nintendo hardware drops, as expected. Huge discrepancies between trackers though. I've always thought MC was the more reliable one so I've used that.

GTAV is unbelievable in Japan. What is PS4's best seller right now in Japan? Can GTA top it?

Oregano

I agree. FF3 DS sold very well because a) the DS was a system everyone had, b) it was the first remake of FF3 ever, and the first major remake of a classic title on a brand new portable system. It wasn't because people particularly preferred it looking like that. As we can see, attempts to ape that success with FF4 DS and later with 4WoL resulted in lower and lower sales.

Obviously the company views different platforms with certain perceptions, and that's the thing which I feel is hurting them with some of these releases now.

I don't think it has to do with "less effort" as Pennywise put it though. The Crystal Chronicles games were relatively high effort games developed by an internal team.

Speaking of, the failure of Crystal Bearers might have snuffed out any thoughts of more adult looking fair on Nintendo systems. In that case though the art direction had nothing to do with. The game is a beautiful mess(I say that as someone who likes it too).

Square Enix aren't the only publisher with that preconception though as we can see from stuff like Hatsune Miku and Atelier Rorona.

duckroll

Sony hardware gets a boost this week while Nintendo hardware drops, as expected. Huge discrepancies between trackers though. I've always thought MC was the more reliable one so I've used that.

GTAV is unbelievable in Japan. What is PS4's best seller right now in Japan? Can GTA top it?

Knack is the top seller at almost 400k, but that's because it was bundled with the entire first shipment of PS4s in Japan. The next best title is MGSV Ground Zeroes, and there's no question that GTAV will top it by next week.

small44

I don't see articles like that every time?

One man's trash is another man's treasure :p

True but they explain it in the actual article that it is until March.
Yes but there is a majority and a minority
When say nobody that mean majority of people don't care about it and minority care about it

I agree. FF3 DS sold very well because a) the DS was a system everyone had, b) it was the first remake of FF3 ever, and the first major remake of a classic title on a brand new portable system. It wasn't because people particularly preferred it looking like that. As we can see, attempts to ape that success with FF4 DS and later with 4WoL resulted in lower and lower sales.

Obviously the company views different platforms with certain perceptions, and that's the thing which I feel is hurting them with some of these releases now.

One note about FFIV; in my opinion, it did well considering that the game was released many times already, and with a GBA porting 2 years before. 4WoL is an interesting case, but only because it has a wonderful OST.

I don't think it has to do with "less effort" as Pennywise put it though. The Crystal Chronicles games were relatively high effort games developed by an internal team.

Speaking of, the failure of Crystal Bearers might have snuffed out any thoughts of more adult looking fair on Nintendo systems. In that case though the art direction had nothing to do with. The game is a beautiful mess(I say that as someone who likes it too).

Square Enix aren't the only publisher with that preconception though as we can see from stuff like Hatsune Miku and Atelier Rorona.

CC games on DS were low-effort games, though.

Opiate

Are you sure that reality actually works like that? There is no "should". That implies there's some natural equilibrium around which the consoles circle, historical trends mean little in the face of actual events. PS4 will pick up if and only if the demand is there.

"Should" here refers to basic law of economics; reduced competition should lead to increased demand for the remaining products.

Of course, what you're hinting at here as an important factor: clearly competition is not reduced, it's just taken a different form. Instead of competing with (only) Nintendo, Sony is now also competing with Apple and Google, among others.

Oregano

One note about FFIV; in my opinion, it did well considering that the game was released many times already, and with a GBA porting 2 years before. 4WoL is an interesting case, but only because it has a wonderful OST.

CC games on DS were low-effort games, though.

It's hard to quantify but Ring of Fates had some of the best 3D graphics on the DS, A lot of voice acting(it might have been their first voiced DS game), separate story modes and multiplayer modes. Echoes of Time was definitely lower effort but it introduced cross-platform play and online multiplayer(probably the best of any DS game).

Ring of Fates was probably only low effort compared to Crisis Core in the sense that the original Crystal Chronicles was low effort compared to FFX.

"Should" here refers to basic law of economics; reduced competition should lead to increased demand for the remaining products.

Of course, what you're hinting at here as an important factor: clearly competition is not reduced, it's just taken a different form. Instead of competing with (only) Nintendo, Sony is now also competing with Apple and Google, among others.

That would only be true in this case if demand were static, but it is variable. It's not just affected by demographic changes but also like you said, the encroachment of other types of competition.

Which is why I find those discussions confusing competition and sales parity amusing, if we want traditional console games to survive we need strongly competitive companies to produce consoles and games that people want. Not a bunch of mediocre platforms with a neatly sliced share of the (shrinking) pie, just sitting there waiting to be steamrollered by Apple or Google or some free-to-play entity we've never heard of.

small44

Majority requires established IP's or more budget(risky and time consuming) which is not good decision considering vita.

If you hard work you gonna succeed the reason why vita is doing bad is that no devs had made any effort to make people buy them.
And know they act like it's the consumer error.
Look at how Persona 4 does on vita and yet Persona 5 is not in psv those devs are just lazy they only want easy money and because of that i doubt sony will made another handheld and those lazy devs will not find a place where to make easy money next month.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
do you know PS3 yearly sales? sorry, but I'm curious.
what do you think of PS4 able to beat Vita's LTD in Japan, instead?

Does this help?
60. PS3 (2006) 466,716 (launch / 8 weeks of data)
38. PS3 (2007) 1,206,347
44. PS3 (2008) 991,303
32. PS3 (2009) 1,727,041
33. PS3 (2010) 1,558,480
35. PS3 (2011) 1,467,261
36. PS3 (2012) 1,327,185
51. PS3 (2013) 824,167
61. PS3 (2014) 450,034

FluxWaveZ

Look at how Persona 4 does on vita and yet Persona 5 is not in psv those devs are just lazy they only want easy money and because of that i doubt sony will made another handheld and those lazy devs will not find a place where to make easy money next month.

Hmhm.

Right... right.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Well Taiko Wii U 2 hit 50K.... >_>....

Toad, Smash, YW, Pokemon, MH & GTA are going fairly strong. Next week is when the crappy sales resume though for all but YW I presume =(.

Also P&D:SME is about 400 Yen cheaper than P&DZ? Is this to compensate for the tax hike?

cafemomo

I feel it's notable that apart from Theatrhythm SE's FF projects on Nintendo systems seem to try to appeal to fans of the pre-FFVII games exclusively.

It might be that they're actually under the impression that they haven't played the Playstation games.

Eh you could be right.
Square could of had made something original for the GBA, but they chose to remake IV-VI
and Bravely Default/Second on the 3DS is a throwback to pre VII

But I feel that a majority of owners of Nintendo hardware also own Sony hardware (GBA + PS2, DS/3DS + PS3 etc) so more than likely a part of Nintendo's userbase has played the FF games past VI

I wish that Square, Nintendo, and Sony would join once and release the ultimate FF box. ala this
FAg5Mm6.jpg

but replace the inferior PS1 versions with their SFC/GBA (or DS) counterparts

If you hard work you gonna succeed the reason why vita is doing bad is that no devs had made any effort to make people buy them.
And know they act like it's the consumer error.

Persona was always a franchise that had ts mainline games on PS home consoles though. Atlus made the right decision for PS3/4, sales wise and allowing the series to progress technically. Persona also has a notable following in the West.

monpiece

Banned
The cheap fanfiction RTS still sold 524.000 units. At the time, though, SQEX was basically developing everything on DS.

Not true, if you look at the launches in 2007, there are lots of DS titles, but PSP had a good Square Enix lineup too. What is most impressive is the number of games Square Enix was developing for portables between 2006 and 2008. But I have already been beaten.

I also think that PS Nova did decently as FFEX, looking at Vita's potential, compared to the PSP golden hunting-games era.

Vita had two games selling over 250k just a few months ago (Freedom Wars and Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment). Nova had to sell at least comparable to Freedom Wars to allow any reasoning about its sales being decent.

small44

Persona was always a franchise that had ts mainline games on PS home consoles though. Atlus made the right decision for PS3/4, sales wise and allowing the series to progress technically. Persona also has a notable following in the West.

Always defending 3rd party studios persona 4 golden sale are near to the original games,it's possible that Persona 5 on psv would sell better then Persona 5 on PS4.
It should had been a PS3/PS4/PSV game but as usual 3rd party treat psv like an inferior consoles and then blame people for there lack of support

FluxWaveZ

It should had been a PS3/PS4/PSV game but as usual 3rd party treat psv like an inferior consoles and then blame people for there lack of support

Hey, can you tell me why the same company you're talking about is developing an upcoming Vita exclusive if they hate the platform so much?

Not true, if you look at the launches in 2007, there are lots of DS titles, but PSP had a good Square Enix lineup too. What is most impressive is the number of games Square Enix was developing for portables between 2006 and 2008. But I have already been beaten.

Almost everything on DS.

small44

Hey, can you tell me why the same company you're talking about is developing an upcoming Vita exclusive if they hate the platform so much?
They only want easy money from psv owner nothing more they don't care about make the games accesible to the most numbers possible of people.

DNAbro

Always defending 3rd party studios persona 4 golden sale are near to the original games,it's possible that Persona 5 on psv would sell better then Persona 5 on PS4.

does it cross your mind that it's not on PSV cause it can't fit on it?

Persona is a totally different beast now. The franchise has grown a lot since P4.

WW there is 0 chance P5 on Vita would outsell a PS4 SKU. Furthermore, Vita's hardware may of been a technically restrictive.

I predict Atlus to follow a P3 like release. Vita may get its P5P while PS3/4 will get P5 and P5 FES.

small44

does it cross your mind that it's not on PSV cause it can't fit on it?

I don't believe in that.
Do you remember Kojima saying mgs4 is technically imposible to make in xbox360 and after that they released Metal Gear Rising : Revengeance on xbox360.

small44

Persona is a totally different beast now. The franchise has grown a lot since P4.

WW there is 0 chance P5 on Vita would outsell a PS4 SKU. Furthermore, Vita's hardware may of been a technically restrictive.

I predict Atlus to follow a P3 like release. Vita may get its P5P while PS3/4 will get P5 and P5 FES.

And where Persona grow ,it growed on Vita.
3rd party consider vita as a port console then they wonder why it dosn't sell that well.

DNAbro

Sorry it was Sony who said that

that wasn't the problem with your statement. Revengeance and MGS4 are completely different games, MGS4 wasn't possible on 360 without a ridiculous amount of discs due to all the cutscenes.( I believe that was the reason given)

small44

that wasn't the problem with your statement. Revengeance and MGS4 are completely different games, MGS4 wasn't possible on 360 without a ridiculous amount of discs due to all the cutscenes.( I believe that was the reason given)

Do you think MGS4 is better technically then Revengeance and MGSV : Ground Zeroes and will be better technically then MGSV The Phantom Pain

Oregano

Eh you could be right.
Square could of had made something original for the GBA, but they chose to remake IV-VI
and Bravely Default/Second on the 3DS is a throwback to pre VII

But I feel that a majority of owners of Nintendo hardware also own Sony hardware (GBA + PS2, DS/3DS + PS3 etc) so more than likely a part of Nintendo's userbase has played the FF games past VI

I wish that Square, Nintendo, and Sony would join once and release the ultimate FF box. ala this

but replace the inferior PS1 versions with their SFC/GBA (or DS) counterparts

The bolded is probably more true than it has ever been as well. It would be cool to see a proper statistical analysis but I would put good odds on the vast majority of Vita, PS4 and Wii U owners also owning a 3DS.

And where Persona grow ,it growed on Vita.
3rd party consider vita as a port console then they wonder why it dosn't sell that well.

Lol no. P3 and P4 are what elevated the franchise. It also had anime adaptations, spin offs and yes I'm sure P4G did help but was not the primary reason.

To be honest, Persona mainline games have always been released on consoles first and then ported to handhelds later. What if there is a hypothetical Persona 5: Crimson for the Vita in the future? We don't really know.

Spiegel

To be honest, Persona mainline games have always been released on consoles first and then ported to handhelds later. What if there is a hypothetical Persona 5: Crimson for the Vita in the future? We don't really know.

We do.

PSV won't be around when the hypotetical Persona 5 Golden gets released.

small44

I think it's time to change that,MH popularity increase start in PSP and now it because a 3DS series but didn't affect the sale of monster hunter.
An exclusive game will always affect hardware sale then a multiplatform games

small44

Well if Konami can publish a Yu-Gi-Oh game on the PSP in 2015 then Atlus can publish a Persona game on Vita in 2017.:p

Vita won't live forever next gen there will not find a place where to release their enhanced late port Persona game

Oregano

Vita won't live forever next gen there will not find a place where to release their enhanced late port Persona game

Why, is Nintendo not releasing a 3DS successor?

They won't port Persona 5 to the 3DS successor, but they easily could.

Top Bottom