• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2011 (Mar 7 - Mar 13)

Kinda surprising how little of an impact the earthquake had on game sales, of course this is still only a partial snapshot. Still, something similar happened after 9/11. Everyone was predicting that everything would be down yet the game industry had a record setting holiday.

rpmurphy

gloriousdemon said:
Kinda surprising how little of an impact the earthquake had on game sales, of course this is still only a partial snapshot. Still, something similar happened after 9/11. Everyone was predicting that everything would be down yet the game industry had a record setting holiday.
As well as the call to conserve energy and the rolling blackouts, it is a bit surprising.

antonz

All of the Software thats new went on sale before the Earthquake happened including Dynasty Warrior. We wont really see what kind of effect til next period.

antonz said:
All of the Software thats new went on sale before the Earthquake happened including Dynasty Warrior. We wont really see what kind of effect til next period.

I already mentioned it before, but just again Nintendo games sales tend more towards the weekend compared to sony sales, you certainly see it in terms of Nintendo sales this week(really 3ds is now more then 200,000 of lower then what they expected it to be at this time)

Takao

Banned
antonz said:
They just confirmed recently there are multiple Draqon Quest titles for the Wii in development

When those do poorly I imagine we'll find DQX on more than just the Wii eventually.

Takao

Banned
gkryhewy said:
Eventually, as in a remake down the line? Sure.

No, I mean a year later.

I think they'll soak whatever they can from the Wii release before trying it out again in an expanded version on another platform.

Bizzyb said:
Fact remains that Interest and sales for wii are going down (like GC) as the opposite is happening for 360 in the US and PS3 in Japan.

In Japan. Everywhere else it's doing fine.

Bizzyb said:
3DS has actual games that people are interested in coming out, before Zelda, like Dead or Alive and Professor Layton. Wii has nothing people are actually interested in coming ut until Zelda. Nothing. Well, maybe Conduit 2 but other than that...nope. DKCr sold on the fact its a quality game (made by a quality developer) and it's a well known franchise with a long awaited return. Why would they put Dragon Quest X on a system that has lost almost all it's steam and interest in 3rd party software? It would have been sent to die. Which is why I really hope Nintendo pulls a TP with Skyward Sword.

So what makes you think they won't have anything? You said yourself that Zelda is probably going to be a holiday game...and you expect them to do nothing at all the rest of the year? No.

Bizzyb said:
Yeah because Kirby and Pandora's Tower (whatever the hell that is) and some random Pokemon game I've never heard jack about is going to keep Wii afloat for two years...If they don't release something before E3 that will have been 6 months without a decent release....6 months. If they don't release within a month after E3 that would have been 7 months. That's more than HALF A YEAR with nothing released. C'mon dude, do the damn math. That shit ain't right. You say the games are coming, right? When? Before E3, within the next 3 months? You ever known Nintendo to announce a game and release it within 3 months and not expect it to bomb?

Unfortunately big gaps between games is nothing new for the Wii...but then once they do release games, nowadays around the holidays, sales end up picking up a lot then. I don't see why this year would be any different. Even in Japan last year the Wii ended up outselling the PS3.

Takao said:
When those do poorly I imagine we'll find DQX on more than just the Wii eventually.

What reason would they have to sell badly? The last Wii DQ, DQM Battle Road Victory, sold 300k and that's an upgraded version of an arcade game. Seriously, the Wii doesn't have a problem when it comes to big name games, DQ will be no exception.

Edit:

Takao said:
No, I mean a year later.

I think they'll soak whatever they can from the Wii release before trying it out again in an expanded version on another platform.

Uh...this is SE with a mainline DQ, not Namco...

Are DQ games that difficult to make? They seem like a graphically basic RPG. I understand if it is an epic game, but it can't be that difficult to make. It's not like it has the attention to detail of a Zelda game. Why has it been in development for so long?

Takao

Banned
Bel Marduk said:
What reason would they have to sell badly? The last Wii DQ, DQM Battle Road Victory, sold 300k and that's an upgraded version of an arcade game. Seriously, the Wii doesn't have a problem when it comes to big name games, DQ will be no exception.

Correct me if I'm wrong here since my memory is often foggy, but I swear Square Enix shipped like 500k of Battle Road, and it didn't meet their expectations.

gkryhewy

Takao said:
No, I mean a year later.

But it's a mainline dragon quest on a system with the largest userbase (as always). It's going to sell boatloads of units upfront, and any year-later port (which would be completely alien to the franchise history) would sell peanuts in comparison.

duckroll

the thoroughbred said:
Are DQ games that difficult to make? They seem like a graphically basic RPG. I understand if it is an epic game, but it can't be that difficult to make. It's not like it has the attention to detail of a Zelda game. Why has it been in development for so long?

antonz

Even if DQX fails to be a hardware booster of significant proportions it doesnt change the fact 11 million+ Wii are already out there and plenty of those will buy the game. DQX will sell on par with the PS2 games im sure.

Takao

Banned
gkryhewy said:
But it's a mainline dragon quest on a system with the largest userbase (as always). It's going to sell boatloads of units upfront, and any year-later port (which would be completely alien to the franchise history) would sell peanuts in comparison.

Eh, if it's on a handheld I imagine it would sell well enough as both the 3DS and NGP should eclipse the Wii in userbase (though not in the year after Wii release as I said earlier).

As for the breaking the franchise's habits, it is the 10th game. Time for a change ;) Also, Square Enix has gotten into that habit, as Dragon Quest Monsters 2 got an expanded version alongside KH, and FF games.

gkryhewy

Takao said:
Eh, if it's on a handheld I imagine it would sell well enough as both the 3DS and NGP should eclipse the Wii in userbase (though not in the year after Wii release as I said earlier).

As for the breaking the franchise's habits, it is the 10th game. Time for a change ;) Also, Square Enix has gotten into that habit, as Dragon Quest Monsters 2 got an expanded version alongside KH, and FF games.

So are you predicting a year-later handheld port (nonsense) or a 5 years-later handheld port (okay)?

Takao said:
Correct me if I'm wrong here since my memory is often foggy, but I swear Square Enix shipped like 500k of Battle Road, and it didn't meet their expectations.

I don't remember this at all...during the first week it sold 135k (40% sell through according to Dengeki) but it went on to sell 307k.

the thoroughbred said:

Graphically basic? DQ8 is one of the best looking games on the PS2 without a doubt, with a huge detailed world, and DQ IX looks nice for a DS game too.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Enix has done worse things with Monsters before

[NGB] Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Cobi's Journey (Enix) {2001.03.09}
[NGB] Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Tara's Adventure (Enix) {2001.04.12}

Takao

Banned
gkryhewy said:
So are you predicting a year-later handheld port (nonsense) or a 5 years-later handheld port (okay)?

I expect it will be sooner than 5 years, but more than a year. Happy? :p

antonz said:
Even if DQX fails to be a hardware booster of significant proportions it doesnt change the fact 11 million+ Wii are already out there and plenty of those will buy the game. DQX will sell on par with the PS2 games im sure.

Well, the question remains how active the Wii's userbase will be when Dragon Quest X is released. The showing for The Last Story, and Xenoblade actually aren't that bad, but those are much more niche products that never had a shot at being a huge franchise no matter the platform. I fear releasing the game too close to the end of the Wii's life cycle would hurt it exponentially (and yes, I know about Dragon Quest VII, but I don't think the PlayStation was selling less than 15,000 units a week at this point in its life) as people will have moved on to something else.

It's a terrible comparison because there's a lot of factors in play not relevant to the Wii's situation, but lets look at Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker vs. Portable Ops in the west. One is considered a main line entry with the backing of the major staff that made the series, and the other is a spinoff made by a smaller, less notable team. MGS is still a large franchise, but Peace Walker sold worse than Portable Ops in its first month despite larger marketing, and a larger userbase. People had moved on from the platform it was on.

Bel Marduk said:
I don't remember this at all...during the first week it sold 135k (40% sell through according to Dengeki) but it went on to sell 307k.

Hmm, seems my memory has an agenda then.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
NSMB Wii proved us how a big ip on Wii can sell, there is no need to worry about DQ8 it will sell it's 3-3,5 million even on Wii....

donny2112

Watchtower said:
PS3 looks healthy, and the only console that's basically not just alive, but healthy. It's been the only console putting up respectable numbers consistently.

lowered_expectation_small.jpg

the thoroughbred said:
It's not like it has the attention to detail of a Zelda game.

slap_forehead.jpg

I'd rate the attention to detail in the story as much, much higher than Zelda games. There's a lot more "content" in typical DQ games than in typical Zelda games, in my experience, too.

cw_sasuke said:
NSMB Wii proved us how a big ip on Wii can sell, there is no need to worry about DQX it will sell it's 3-3,5 million even on Wii....

Fixed. Yeah, Wii's overall content sales have been in the crapper for years now in Japan, but it can still sell huge amounts of some games. It's the only console that does. When Wii was at PS3's current LTD, it had 6 million sellers with 3 of those over 2m. Selling huge amounts for some games has never been Wii's problem, even in Japan. It's the overall ecosystem that's been in trouble since around SMG's launch.

Bizzyb said:
Not really, they actually made it a point to NOT specifically mention/say DQX.

Considering Nintendo's involvement with DQIX and their expected involvement with DQX, I think they'd probably need to give a go-ahead to move it off of Wii. Not officially, of course, with Horii's autonomy, but it'd be sort of the "right" thing to do. If Nintendo feels that Wii is so bad that coming out on Wii wouldn't be best for the franchise, I don't think they'd try to stand in the way of that decision by Horii, though. I think they'd be fine with it going to 3DS instead.
:p

Bizzyb said:

What? How? How does this statement seem apprehensive in the slightest on whether DQ X will be on the Wii or not?
GR: In the last few years DQ has become really focused on handheld releases. Do you worry you’re leaving consoles behind?

YH: No, the series got its start on consoles, so we aren’t thinking that way, especially since we’re working on Wii versions of Dragon Quest right now.

If there are multiple DQ games for the Wii in the works, his statement is fine. And since DQ X has been confirmed for the Wii since 2008 and last Summer Yuji Horii reconfirmed it was a Wii game, and that it wasn't that far off, it should be a no brainer to know he's talking about DQ X as well.

Also, if DQ X wasn't coming to the Wii, why bother with more Wii DQ games anyway? Why not start working on more 3DS DQ games (it's already getting Rocket Slime 3) instead of Wii games when the Wii's slowed down in Japan?

shidoshi said:
I would almost be willing to bet money at this point that it isn't going to be Wii. Or if it is, not exclusive.
Really? Any inside info? Do you assume that it might be ported to the 3DS?
edit: alittle OT but where is my PODCAST? :p

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Bizzyb said:
So we have an announced game for the Wii, that was reconfirmed by name half a year ago, and a month ago when asked for the future of the series they casually mentioned they're working on Wii games, and it's not reaching to claim it's unlikely to be released for Wii? Speculation for platforms they've not even mentioned is not reaching, while thinking it's for the Wii is? Really? I mean, obviously, anything is plausible, but hinted at? No.

Anyway, nobody said the Wii is going to go back to selling what it used to in Japan since you seem to be moving the goalposts to that direction and anything less is apparently unacceptable for a system at this stage of its life and with this accumulated install base. Although it has been said it's doing fine in every other region after you claimed it's not. It doesn't have to be launch year all over again for it to continue being the only Nintendo home platform for a while longer.

If they have small home titles, they aren't going to do better on any other platform than Wii, and they aren't going to sell a new platform. If they have somewhat bigger titles, they can do absolutely fine on Wii as proven most recently by DKCR. The last big Wii title did absolutely fantastic so why wouldn't DQX?

We don't know what their unannounced games are so it's no use to shit on them or praise them as potential system sellers. You're doing the former, I'm not doing the latter. I merely mentioned several titles are coming when you pretended Wii has nothing until 2013 as proof that a new system is coming soon or whatever else. All the support Nintendo is able to spare beyond the 3DS seems to be going to Wii at this point (a main Mario title is being made for 3DS apparently, so I suppose there's no room for a third one on Wii, or a new one on a new home platform). Several titles from a single company isn't exactly few, whether they end up being big sellers or smaller projects. For regions outside Japan they can have even more titles if they want to by including these upcoming games alongside titles already released in Japan.

Anyway, Nintendo isn't going to change their plans for any such reason. The Wii could be doing great and they'd still announce a new platform. The opposite can be true also. They don't need momentum, they need a good strategy just like they had with the Wii's launch which had no momentum whatsoever before it.

onipex

Nintendo put up a lot of money to promote DQ IX and got it to be the best selling DQ game. I don't understand why people don't think DQ X will stay on the Wii.

I think Nintendo foolishly feels confident that they can raise Wii numbers and are not too worried. What quake may have delayed any plans to do so though. It does not seem like they careat all , because if they did they have the resources to throw out money for support , bundles, colors, and just about anything to keep the system moving.

onipex said:
Nintendo put up a lot of money to promote DQ IX and got it to be the best selling DQ game. I don't understand why people don't think DQ X will stay on the Wii.

I think Nintendo foolishly feels confident that they can raise Wii numbers and are not too worried. What quake may have delayed any plans to do so though. It does not seem like they careat all , because if they did they have the resources to throw out money for support , bundles, colors, and just about anything to keep the system moving.

It's dumb to say they don't care...they just have a problem with keeping steady momentum throughout the year. The first half of this year is barren but the second half should be good still...still doesn't really excuse them though. Although this first half of the year I guess it's understandable they want to focus on the 3DS and Pokemon first...

duckroll

VOOK said:
Are these delays because of the subject matter or production/distribution problems? I'm not worried or anything, just interested.

Obviously it's to do with the Earth Quake/Tsunami, but is it like out of respect like Motorstorm is or they're having problems?

Pretty much everything is being delayed because of general logistics problems.

duckroll said:
Pretty much everything is being delayed because of general logistics problems.

Along with some offices(like EA taking the week of) thus causing delays for everything, basically work productivity is way down this week .

Also just to note: this week was the Torne Bundle Price drop pack

onken

Vinci said:
I think we'll have to wait at least a couple of months to get a fair indication of how hardware and software is doing in Japan. The earthquake is likely going to throw numbers off to hell and back for quite a while.

The hell it is. The vast majority of people are getting on with their lives normally, even now.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Chris1964 said:
{2010.05.24 - 2011.01.02} 0014. [WII] Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo) {2010.05.27} - 339.901 / 947.540
{2010.12.06 - 2011.03.13} 0015. [WII] Donkey Kong Country Returns (Nintendo) {2010.12.09} - 163.310 / 843.848
2D really does miracles for Nintendo platformers.

BlizzyB said:
I'm sure SquareEnix is in no rush to out DQX on a system that is obviously on it's way down in Japan. People have moved onto the HD twins and 3DS

This shit is annoying as hell.

Takao said:
When those do poorly

Ahaahah.. Wait, seriously?
Bwahahahahahahah, oh god

Shidoshi said:
I would almost be willing to bet money at this point that it isn't going to be Wii. Or if it is, not exclusive.

Ok, I'm in. Let's work this through. I say it's going to be Wii-only at its release, you say it's not going there or that if it is then is going to be released on another console as well (I don't even need to know which console). How much are we betting?

onken said:
The hell it is. The vast majority of people are getting on with their lives normally, even now.

I know you live in Japan, but have you just missed all the games getting delayed because of logistic problems? That's hardly a "normal" situation as you put it.

onken

Dash Kappei said:
I know you live in Japan, but have you just missed all the games getting delayed because of logistic problems? That's hardly a "normal" situation as you put it.

I'm talking about actual sales performance, not delays/cancellations.

farnham

Banned
shidoshi said:
the only other console/handheld that has a big enough userbase is DS

and a Wii -> DS transition would mean just scrapping the game and making a new one

also DQ never has been multiplatform so i doubt it.

people forget that DQ 7 was released in 2000 after the PS2 launch

farnham said:
also DQ never has been multiplatform so i doubt it.
People said the same thing about FF. Not the exact same situation, and as slim as the chance is, I wouldn't be suprised if it ends up Wii/PS3.

farnham

Banned
BishopLamont said:
People said the same thing about FF. Not the exact same situation, and as slim as the chance is
FF7, 8, 11 and 14 have been on PC

BishopLamont said:
I wouldn't be suprised if it ends up Wii/PS3.

If anything its going to be either DS (which means they will scrap whatever build they have right now so i doubt it) or PSP

Top Bottom