• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2011 (Mar 7 - Mar 13)

farnham said:
FF7, 8, 11 and 14 have been on PC

I think the overall point still stands, if you want you could replace FF with DMC or Tekken or probably a whole bunch of other franchises I'm forgetting. Saying DQ has never been multiplatform as the sole reason that it will never be multiplatform in the future is shaky reasoning. What was true and relevant for the series for the past ten years may not be true and relevant for the next ten years. This industry is too young and still in too much of a state of flux to use historical precedent with absolute certainty.

Looking at the whole 'DQ always goes to the hardware winner' argument, that was nice and simple for the last few generations. NES->SNES->PSOne->PS2 not only the largest install bases but also the dominant software platforms for third party publishers. Can the same be said for the Wii? Even it's win in hardware numbers is murky because it relies on separating the handheld and console markets in a way that I don't think the Japanese public does.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
DQX wont be multiplattform. And if it where to be it would still be on nintendo plattforms not Wii/Ps3 or Wii/PSP. SE would loos to many benefits by screwin Nintendo this time around. It just doesnt make any sense especially when the DQ Userbase is on nintendo plattform right now, not only in japan but outside of it.

DQX will probably sell 3 million in japan - and with heavy marketing from NoA and NoE it could do big numbers as one of the last "epic" wii adventures.....they wont throw that oppurtunity away.

farnham

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
I think the overall point still stands, if you want you could replace FF with DMC or Tekken or probably a whole bunch of other franchises I'm forgetting. Saying DQ has never been multiplatform as the sole reason that it will never be multiplatform in the future is shaky reasoning. What was true and relevant for the series for the past ten years may not be true and relevant for the next ten years. This industry is too young and still in too much of a state of flux to use historical precedent with absolute certainty.

Looking at the whole 'DQ always goes to the hardware winner' argument, that was nice and simple for the last few generations. NES->SNES->PSOne->PS2 not only the largest install bases but also the dominant software platforms for third party publishers. Can the same be said for the Wii? Even it's win in hardware numbers is murky because it relies on separating the handheld and console markets in a way that I don't think the Japanese public does.
so are you suggesting DQ is going to be on PS3 because its the dominant third party platform ?

i believe Hori Yuji will see DQ in line with Mario or any other 2 to 4 million Wii millionselling title. As a title with enough appeal to do big numbers on wii.

also outside of FF XIII i dont think there was a single million seller on the PS3 ? also FF XIII sold pretty badly in comparison to other FF titles

also DQ X was in development for a long time (supposedly by genius sonority a nintendo first party and devs of DQ 6 and 7 on Snes and PSone. although thats a rumor). switching to either DS or PS3 would mean scrapping the game and developing a new one as Hori Yuji will hardly be satisfied with a simple upscaled version of DQ X on PS3 and a Wii game on DS is just impossible

the only scenario i can see is a PSP Wii multiplat

farnham said:
so are you suggesting DQ is going to be on PS3 because its the dominant third party platform ?

i believe Hori Yuji will see DQ in line with Mario or any other 2 to 4 million Wii millionselling title. As a title with enough appeal to do big numbers on wii.

also outside of FF XIII i dont think there was a single million seller on the PS3 ? also FF XIII sold pretty badly in comparison to other FF titles

I've never suggested what platform DQX could go to if it went beyond (or away) from Wii.

farnham

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
I've never suggested what platform DQX could go to if it went beyond (or away) from Wii.
so what platform would that be

DS seems pretty impossible if they dont make another game altogether

PS3 same thing unless they want a cheap upscale port

PSP seems to be the only other option

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
farnham said:

Well it looks like you are too wrapped up in being a platform warrior so I'll leave you with this, my point was never about the destination platform.

farnham

Banned
ULTROS! said:
Huh? It sold more than FFIX, FFXII, and FFX-2...

i was talking about japanese sales only. im pretty sure FFXIII did not break 2 million in japan. all those other titles did
Die Squirrel Die said:
Well it looks like you are too wrapped up in being a platform warrior so I'll leave you with this, my point was never about the destination platform.
you are saying that there is a possibility that it will go multiplat or switch platforms. but the condition for that is a suitable platform to port or switch too. i really dont see which platform that should be
gkryhewy said:
Well, 3DS would also be an option, but I just don't see it.
with a userbase of whooping 700k i doubt it

gkryhewy

farnham said:

Rolf NB

This whole argument is so well played at this point.

Unless a source up high from within the project says otherwise, I'm expecting DQX to be a Wii exclusive. And I'm expecting to buy the shit out of it, whenever NOE feels like publishing it.

Games! They're great!

cw_sasuke

3DS would be an option for the next dq main title - not for dqx.
Iwata just mentioned DQ and Zelda on nintendos last financial report as those big ips which would celebtate their 25th anniversary this year. DQX will be Wii, and everyone and his mom will be able to buy and afford a Wii once they dropped the price to 15K yen in a couple month.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
gkryhewy said:
It's not, because

DieSquirrelDie said:
Looking at the whole 'DQ always goes to the hardware winner' argument, that was nice and simple for the last few generations. NES->SNES->PSOne->PS2 not only the largest install bases but also the dominant software platforms for third part
You make it sound like it'a a myth, and from the past even. PSP has the biggest 3D party sellers, following your logic there should have been a DQ9 PSP by now.
Yuji Horii said DQ will always go where the bigger userbase is, plain and simple, it's not like it is a legend or something. Game announced for Wii, confirmed a bunch of times, home console release, biggest userbase around and cheapest platform to buy for people who don't own one yet just in case. End of story. When Horii will say they're looking into other platforms THEN there'll be something to base speculations on.

Dash Kappei

onken said:
I'm talking about actual sales performance, not delays/cancellations.
Exactly, you said sales aren't going to be affected. Games delayed/cancelled means less money spent and less sales potential for the platforms those games were going to be released for. RGG being delayed will definitely affect PS3 numbers, for example.

Dash Kappei said:
You make it sound like it'a a myth, and from the past even. PSP has the biggest 3D party sellers, following your logic there should have been a DQ9 PSP by now.
Yuji Horii said DQ will always go where the bigger userbase is, plain and simple, it's not like it is a legend or something. Game announced for Wii, confirmed a bunch of times, home console release, biggest userbase around and cheapest platform to buy for people who don't own one yet just in case. End of story. When Horii will say they're looking into other platforms THEN there'll be something to base speculations on.

And didn't Shinji Mikami say that if RE4 went to the PS2 he'd but his own head off, or something to that effect. And we know what happened there, business happened. Which is the point I've been trying to get across, but you lot seem to immediately jump to Nintendo defense force mode.

If DQX remains Wii exclusive it'll be for business reasons, because SE feel the financial advantages of keeping it so are greater than those if they put it elsewhere, not historical precedents or notions of honour or some soundbite the creator said.

farnham

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
And didn't Shinji Mikami say that if RE4 went to the PS2 he'd but his own head off, or something to that effect. And we know what happened there, business happened. Which is the point I've been trying to get across, but you lot seem to immediately jump to Nintendo defense force mode.

If DQX remains Wii exclusive it'll be for business reasons, because SE feel the financial advantages of keeping it so are greater than those if they put it elsewhere, not historical precedents or notions of honour or some soundbite the creator said.
you cant compare shinji mikami and hori yuji at all

shinji mikami is a famous game creator, yes. but he was just an employee at capcom. he does not own RE.

hori yuji is CEO of armor project. he owns DQ and he is just publishing his games through SE.

so if anyone is making the calculation its hori yuji/armor project not SE. he can easily find another publisher and publish DQ through them if SE comes with their financial considerations and Yuji doesnt like them

so the soundbite of the creator bears a lot more then in the case of RE4

Die Squirrel Die said:
If DQX remains Wii exclusive it'll be for business reasons, because SE feel the financial advantages of keeping it so are greater than those if they put it elsewhere, not historical precedents or notions of honour or some soundbite the creator said..
I agree, business reasons are why it'll remain a Wii release. It's the only home console in Japan capable of supporting truly massmarket multi-million sellers, and for the immediate future it's the only real option in terms of Nintendo platforms (3DS is too young, DS is too old). I don't see Horii wanting to break his Nintendo partnership now either, not after how they handled DQIX.

At this point, I'm more curious about what those other Wii DQ title(s) could be? Torneko 4? DQVIIr? Itadaki Street Wii?

farnham

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
I agree, business reasons are why it'll remain a Wii release. It's the only home console in Japan capable of supporting truly massmarket multi-million sellers, and for the immediate future it's the only real option in terms of Nintendo platforms (3DS is too young, DS is too old). I don't see Horii wanting to break his Nintendo partnership now either, not after how they handled DQIX.

At this point, I'm more curious about what those other Wii DQ title(s) could be? Torneko 4? DQVIIr? Itadaki Street Wii?
i would love to see itadaki street wii. with the wii party and mario party sales on wii its almost a nobrainer imo. also DQ Swords 2 with motion plus support would be great

DQ VIIR is probably more suited to DS as it shares engines with DQ IV to VI afaik

Die Squirrel Die said:

Why is it that the issue of Horii and his influence over DQ has to be discussed over and over again in these kind of threads? Comparing him to Mikami demonstrates that you don't really understand the difference in the influence the two wield, and it's this - rather than "Nintendo defense force mode" that's bringing in the replies.

farnham said:
DQ VIIR is probably more suited to DS as it shares engines with DQ IV to VI afaik
If that happens it'll just be DQVII rather than DQVIIr. It could happen though, or a 3DS release just as easily.

Horii likes to "lead in" with older rereleases, though I'm thinking on Wii they could just do this through the Virtual Console instead of any actual remakes.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
cw_sasuke said:
DQX wont be multiplattform. And if it where to be it would still be on nintendo plattforms not Wii/Ps3 or Wii/PSP. SE would loos to many benefits by screwin Nintendo this time around. It just doesnt make any sense especially when the DQ Userbase is on nintendo plattform right now, not only in japan but outside of it.

DQX will probably sell 3 million in japan - and with heavy marketing from NoA and NoE it could do big numbers as one of the last "epic" wii adventures.....they wont throw that oppurtunity away.
They've basically done that with the remainder of the cycle at this point. At least in terms of notable core releases. :p

I'm like anyone else who loves DQ, if it's going to be just as fun and content filled, I want it in the best possible presentation. It's really nice to have it portable though but if it's going to be on a console, I want HD AT least. Nino-kuni should sort of fill that void. At least from a visual standpoint.

farnham

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
If that happens it'll just be DQVII rather than DQVIIr. It could happen though, or a 3DS release just as easily.

Horii likes to "lead in" with older rereleases, though I'm thinking on Wii they could just do this through the Virtual Console instead of any actual remakes.
virtual console PSone titles ? wiiware maybe

but that doesnt make sense. they can sell millions retail copies in japan by just porting it over to DS. DQIV was a simple Psone port as well

KingDizzi

Banned
cw_sasuke said:

DQ IX has been advertised so so much here in the UK, not even some first party Nintendo titles get advertised that much. That alone ensures that DQ X will remain on the Wii, that and development will be too far ahead to bail from that train wreck. After DQ IX doing 4 million alone in Japan it remains to be seen if SE will be happy with 3 or so million for DQ X in Japan. Last one on consoles anyway so meh unless something really goes wrong with 3DS/NGP, was great playing DQ IX where it belonged...on the shitter.

MHF3 still chugging along, how long after the release of the last MHP game did the best of version release?

farnham said:
virtual console PSone titles ? wiiware maybe

but that doesnt make sense. they can sell millions retail copies in japan by just porting it over to DS. DQIV was a simple Psone port as well
No, not DQVII on Virtual Console, DQI-VI.

Spiegel

KingDizzi said:
MHF3 still chugging along, how long after the release of the last MHP game did the best of version release?

MHP2 did not get a best version release
MHP2G was released 13 months after MHP2
MHP2G got the best release 7 months after launch

onken

Spiegel said:
MHP2 did not get a best version release
MHP2G was released 13 months after MHP2
MHP2G got the best release 7 months after launch

Though we've got the enhanced NGP version thrown into the mix this time. I imagine there'll be some double-dipping going on there oh yes.

Dash Kappei

Die Squirrel Die said:
And didn't Shinji Mikami say that if RE4 went to the PS2
Did Mikami have control over the Resident Evil IP? This just shows you don't fully grasp how DQ development and publishing works. And it was already discussed before about all the bits about the SE/Nintendo partnership, nobody denied that, in facf it just adds to my point.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
onken said:
Though we've got the enhanced NGP version thrown into the mix this time. I imagine there'll be some double-dipping going on there oh yes.
title-onken.jpg

myesh, myesh indeed.

mclem

Assuming DQX does stay on Wii, I wonder when we'd be looking at a big media blitz on it? I mean, everything about the project's been so very secretive for so long, I'm sure we must be due *something* soonish. I would half-expect it to be at E3 if it wasn't such a Japan-focussed title by default.

farnham

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
No, not DQVII on Virtual Console, DQI-VI.
that would make sense but i believe DQ titles are also primary candidates for remakes on newer platforms.. DQ III remake has a potential to outsell DQ IX imo

farnham said:
that would make sense but i believe DQ titles are also primary candidates for remakes on newer platforms.. DQ III remake has a potential to outsell DQ IX imo
So a re-remake of DQIII (SFC DQIII remake sold less than a third of the original DQIII) has the potential to outsell the best selling DQ game? Wow.

farnham

Banned
Magicpaint said:
So a re-remake of DQIII (SFC DQIII remake sold less than a third of the original DQIII) has the potential to outsell the best selling DQ game? Wow.
yes its the highest regarded DQ game ever and has reached kind of a legend status among DQ fans over there in Japan.

farnham said:
yes its the highest regarded DQ game ever and has reached kind of a legend status among DQ fans over there in Japan.
But it is NOT a new DQ game and no DQ remake has ever come close to selling as well as its original. DQVr PS2 (the highest regarded DQ game :p), the best selling remake still sold much less than DQV SFC. It will not happen.

I should have said re-re-remake btw since there was a GBC DQIII as well.

Zoe

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Umm.... this isn't true? Most shops I see are pushing the Power golf game obviously no ryu but saying no releases isn't exactly true..

Perhaps it's like the music industry? They've postponed all releases set for 3/23 and 3/30, but if shops already had the 3/16 releases in stock they could sell them.

king zell

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Umm.... this isn't true? Most shops I see are pushing the Power golf game obviously no ryu but saying no releases isn't exactly true..

no releases doesn't mean no releases at all, they are pushing it because it's the only new game coming

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
the thoroughbred said:
Are DQ games that difficult to make? They seem like a graphically basic RPG. I understand if it is an epic game, but it can't be that difficult to make. It's not like it has the attention to detail of a Zelda game. Why has it been in development for so long?

DQ7 took forever to develop. DQ games have seen some delays, most notably 6, 7, and 9.

I'd prefer a delay to get a super-polished game than have to deal with the undercooked releases riddled with bugs and balance issues that come from the average western RPG dev :p

djtiesto said:
DQ7 took forever to develop. DQ games have seen some delays, most notably 6, 7, and 9.

I'd prefer a delay to get a super-polished game than have to deal with the undercooked releases riddled with bugs and balance issues that come from the average western RPG dev :p
Well wasn't 9 originally supposed to be a drastic change for the series and then they scrapped most of it and restarted. I wonder what is taking so long with 10?

lo zaffo

I would like to read any kind of information about Dragon Quest X, starting from developer teams involved, art direction chosen, gaming ideas devised, etc.

king zell

Lord_Byron28 said:
Well wasn't 9 originally supposed to be a drastic change for the series and then they scrapped most of it and restarted. I wonder what is taking so long with 10?

um maybe they well wait and see how does the spin-offs and remakes does on the 3DS before announcing the game for the Wii\3DS

duckroll said:
http://www.konami.jp/osirase/110318/index_gs.html

More delays terrorize Japan. Konami has announced that all versions of Pro Baseball Spirits 2011, due on 14th April, will be delayed. Yugioh on Wii and Otomedius X on 360, both due on 21st April, will also be delayed. No new dates are being announced at this time.

I think you read a poor translation of the press release? Those games were all scheduled to be released this month, thoese dates are the new release dates.

duckroll

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
I think you read a poor translation of the press release? Those games were all scheduled to be released this month, thoese dates are the new release dates.

No, I actually didn't even read it. I saw "date change" and a list of games, and basically assumed it was a delay. Terrible. My bad.

cw_sasuke

3DS on stock @amazon.jp for 23,8K Yen and Ps3 is also bein sold for 26k Yen.
The next weeks will probably really bad sales-age wise, whcih is understandable people in japan have other thing to worry right now than expensive videogames.

Rock_Man

I've updated my weekly sales shares graph generator to include 3DS. The graph below is running from the start of 2010 through March 6 2011. You are welcome to request other time frames.

shares-all-2011-03-06.png

Top Bottom