• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 21, 2014 (May 19 - May 25)

Do they put any game on there that doesn't even have a title, yet?

10. [Untitled Nintendo Xenoblade-type game]

?

:p

They could call it X. But yes, I see your point. But as a counterpoint, they have games that have been cancelled on the list.

There hasn't been much marketing for that game yet... I seriously doubt most people are aware of its existence.

It has had about the same amount of time in Nintendo Directs as Bayonetta has.

Probably because it has no official title yet. We'll probably see it bump the list when there is an official title.

So we should see it in July's Famitsu.

Takao

Banned
TLR PS3 hasn't been cancelled, it's just not in development.
SMKPmaD.png

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Xenoblade didn't really sell that well. Under 200k if I remember right and Wii was actually healthy platform compared to WiiU. I really don't know why people have so big expectations when it comes to X.

I think it's simply because the game looks awesome. That's pretty much the main reason we'd like it to sell well imo...

There is, it's way too hot, there's been a constant stream of 熱中症 cases for about the past week. Finally broke in and turned on the AC last night, I'm going to stay inside and play videogames instead of melting outside.

You only just started using your AC? I've been using it here for 3 weeks already. It's really hot.

Random anecdote time: My local Geo had a stupid amount of copies of Mario Kart (20+ left when I showed up at 10PM on launch day), but judging by the gap in the shelf, they'd sold around half of the copies that they'd ordered in. Just in the 5 minutes I was in the store, I saw 4 other people buy (or line up to buy) the game. No one buying a Wii U console, though.

KtSlime

You only just started using your AC? I've been using it here for 3 weeks already. It's really hot.

Random anecdote time: My local Geo had a stupid amount of copies of Mario Kart (20+ left when I showed up at 10PM on launch day), but judging by the gap in the shelf, they'd sold around half of the copies that they'd ordered in. Just in the 5 minutes I was in the store, I saw 4 other people buy (or line up to buy) the game. No one buying a Wii U console, though.

I'm trying to save money, TEPCO is a POS and is raping me on my energy bill. Next week should be better.

I look forward to play MK8 after I finally grab myself a Wii U, next month I should have the funds...

Alrus

Xenoblade didn't really sell that well. Under 200k if I remember right and Wii was actually healthy platform compared to WiiU. I really don't know why people have so big expectations when it comes to X.

People have big expectations for that game? Where?

RalchAC

So after that Watch_Dogs sales thread are there still people thinking that cross gen doesn't drive the hardware sales of PS4/XBO in west?

A lot of people in various threads.

Well, it probably did to some extent. But I don't think it's a big deal. People is upgrading, even if there are last gen versions. And most of those games are looking quite badly in PS360. Did you read the Watch_Dogs PS4 vs PS3 comparision? Results aren't that good. They'll be exposed while watching TV to some ads whose gameplay footage that looks vastly better than the game running on their old consoles.

And people that are into that kind of games will probably get tired after they get several gimped versions of the next big titles, even if they aren't game enthusiasts like people in GAF and other forums. And you now have to count online multiplayer, which wasn't a thing before. That could fasten transition to next-gen a little IMO (Random 1 likes to play Battlefield with Random 2, 3 and 4. If two of those guys buy a next-gen console, the rest will follow suit quite soon).

sörine

Banned
That's not a sales list. Xenoblade outsold franchises like Senran Kagura, The Last Remnant or Atelier and yet they all made the list.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

show me the receipts

I think a lot of us have VERY high expectations regarding the quality of the game, but anyone with half a brain knows it's not going to sell gangbusters

RalchAC

show me the receipts

I think a lot of us have VERY high expectations regarding the quality of the game, but anyone with half a brain knows it's not going to sell gangbusters

Has anybody already released a JRPG on the WiiU? I think nobody hasn't but I may have missed something.

If there isn't, I think that's quite a big problem for the game to overcome. If there is hardly any game in the genre on the system, and quite few in the horizont most JRPG fans probably won't buy it. The people who will probably get it would be the Nintendo fans that like JRPGs*.

*Fan > Like.

KtSlime

Has anybody already released a JRPG on the WiiU? I think nobody hasn't but I may have missed something.

If there isn't, I think that's quite a big problem for the game to overcome. If there is hardly any game in the genre on the system, and quite few in the horizont most JRPG fans probably won't buy it. The people who will probably get it would be the Nintendo fans that like JRPGs*.

*Fan > Like.

SE - DQX.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Comgnet's retail chain preorder comparisons, as of June 2nd, 2014

[NDS] Inazuma Eleven 3 - 51pt + 50pt = 101pt
[3DS] Yokai Watch 2 - 272pt + 201pt = 473pt

[PSV] Persona 4 The Golden - 192pt
[3DS] Etrian Odyssey IV - 89pt
[3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV - 153pt
[3DS] Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl - 74pt
[3DS] Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - 176pt

[PS3] Kamen Rider: Battride War Premium Sound & Movie Edition - 89pt
[PS3] Kamen Rider: Battride War II Premium TV & Movie Edition - 63pt

[3DS] Card Fight!! Vanguard: Ride to Victory!! - 67pt
[3DS] Card Fight!! Vanguard: Lock on Victory!! - 60pt

[PS4] Watch_Dogs - 20pt

Road

pokmonsales2014060221eefu2.png

Pokémon X/Y gonna need a little push for 5 million, and the free copies given away with a 3DS won't help this comparison using Famitsu sales.

level5newipsales20140vpija.png

What look for with Yo-kai Watch 2 is Level 5 highest first week, currently Inazuma Eleven 3: Lightning Bolt / Bomb Blast with 462,377.

cumulativehardwaresalbmepu.png

Too lazy to make three separate charts. PS4 fell behind GC this week. It's safe from Dreamcast for another 3 months or so. Wii U in a limbo of shit between Vita and PS3/GC.

And in another planet of systems that actually sold well:

cumulativehardwaresalegcsa.png

----------------------------

Changing subjects.

fami_downloadv4k90.png

Compilation of all six months Famitsu published so far. I've excluded download-only or physical-only games. Thinking of excluding extreme cases as well (next time...).

*SD = standard deviation.

antibolo

Banned
I just realized, it's pretty crazy how Brawl still manages to stay in the top 50 after all these years (and no other Wii game left in the charts). Those are some godlike legs.

The second oldest game to chart is Mario Kart 7, and is only 3 years old, half of Brawl's life.

Bruno MB

I just realized, it's pretty crazy how Brawl still manages to stay in the top 50 after all these years (and no other Wii game left in the charts). Those are some godlike legs.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl sold more units in 2013 than during the year before.

2008 - [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo) {2008.01.31} - 1.747.113 / NEW
2009 - [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo) {2008.01.31} - 133.725 / 1.880.838
2010 - [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo) {2008.01.31} - 151.816 / 2.032.654
2011 - [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo) {2008.01.31} - 98.968 / 2.131.622
2012 - [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo) {2008.01.31} - 82.281 / 2.213.903
2013 - [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo) {2008.01.31} - 89.200 / 2.303.103

RalchAC

[Changing subjects.

fami_downloadv4k90.png

Compilation of all six months Famitsu published so far. I've excluded download-only or physical-only games. Thinking of excluding extreme cases as well (next time...).

*SD = standard deviation.

Thanks for all the information, Road. Nice compilation :)

I think you should keep those extreme cases though. Both if they're extremely low or extremely high compared to most games.

L~A

Super Smash Bros. Brawl sold more units in 2013 than during the year before.

2008 - [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo) {2008.01.31} - 1.747.113 / NEW
2009 - [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo) {2008.01.31} - 133.725 / 1.880.838
2010 - [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo) {2008.01.31} - 151.816 / 2.032.654
2011 - [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo) {2008.01.31} - 98.968 / 2.131.622
2012 - [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo) {2008.01.31} - 82.281 / 2.213.903
2013 - [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo) {2008.01.31} - 89.200 / 2.303.103

That's pretty good news for the new one, then. Especially on the 3DS. Quite impressive it's managed to sell more or less the same amount during the last 3 years. That's some stability, a real marathon runner.

That's pretty good news for the new one, then. Especially on the 3DS. Quite impressive it's managed to sell more or less the same amount during the last 3 years. That's some stability, a real marathon runner.

Maybe a little part of those sales are due to the opportunity Smash gives to Wii users to enable.... you know what I mean

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The expectations about X are for the game, not for its sales, honestly...
Btw, thank you Road for all the updates.

Heh people who want to use the homebrew to pirate would most likely buy a used copy.

used copy is around 4-4,500 yen (maybe more, dunno, shops pay you 3,000yen for a used one), not so much difference from the retail price (5,800yen probably)

hiska-kun

According to one of Tsutaya's manager, Mario Kart 8 had an amazing opening, like a rocket's launch. In some shops the game was sold out.
A lot of buyers are also purchasing some accessories.
He expects legs for the game the following weeks.
Second spot for Gundam, slow start.

For next week, he says that Persona Q's preorders are strong and a big opening is expected.

http://mantan-web.jp/2014/06/03/20140603dog00m200044000c.html?mode=pc

Another matter. Youkai watch pre-orders are closed in Yamada Denki and Bic Camera. In Bic Camera they're comparing the game with Pokemon and Monter Hunter phenomenom.
予約受付終了 = pre-orders closed
9110CF58-7D6F-44E0-BADF-E8C6F3F1138C_zpsgzlzyvbn.jpg

Principate

Saint Titanfall
According to one of Tsutaya's manager, Mario Kart 8 had an amazing opening, like a rocket's launch. In some shops the game was sold out.
A lot of buyers are also purchasing some accessories.
He expects legs for the game the following weeks.

For next week, he says that Persona Q's preorders are strong and a big opening is expected.

http://mantan-web.jp/2014/06/03/20140603dog00m200044000c.html?mode=pc

Another matter. Youkai watch pre-orders are closed in Yamada Denki and Bic Camera. In Bic Camera they're comparing the game with Pokemon and Monter Hunter phenomenom.
予約受付終了 = pre-orders closed
9110CF58-7D6F-44E0-BADF-E8C6F3F1138C_zpsgzlzyvbn.jpg

Seems well deserved. Expect some great Luigi gif's to be posted tomorrow either way.

Road

MK7 had plenty of stock - 68% sell-through; MKWii wasn't a general sell-out - 82% sell-through.

Some retailers blog also sold-out of MK8 in the first day or the weekend. I guess due to the Wii U is dead situation, retailers didn't expect so much from it.

Comgnet launch sales:

MKWii: 710
MK7: 621
MK8: 426

points.

Thanks for all the information, Road. Nice compilation :)

I think you should keep those extreme cases though. Both if they're extremely low or extremely high compared to most games.

As the sample gets bigger, the outliers will affect less, but, right now, if I take away Terraria from Vita, the average download / physical goes from that 15.8% to 12%. It's the one game making its standard deviation so big. Similarly, if I remove the DQX expanasion pack, Wii U's average goes down to 2%.

sörine

Banned
Yeah, I forgot that one.
Kemco also ported their Android JRPG Alphadia Genesis to the eShop.

It's sort of cheating but there are also a ton of JRPGs on Wii U Virtual Console (FF1-6/USA, BOF2, SMT1-2/if, Earthbound, Romancing SaGa 1-3, Mario & Luigi, Golden Sun, etc).

Nintendo needs to follow up on the success of Mario Kart 8 and the imminent success of Smash Brothers with a blockbuster title for Spring 2015 of similar commercial caliber.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nintendo needs to follow up on the success of Mario Kart 8 and the imminent success of Smash Brothers with a blockbuster title for Spring 2015 of similar commercial caliber.

I could see them releasing Animal Crossing U with NFC figurine support in spring 2015 - of course it would sell less than New Leaf but selling the figurines would be a way make more money of less buyers.

Thanks, I was curious because I thought it may be a factor in why it has a disproportionately higher digital percentage.

But on further thought, I don't think that would really makes sense.

Perhaps it's just a result of being an MMO and thus the userbase is simply more prone to purchase digitally.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Maybe we are looking at a very big first week. First game will still be in top 10 when the sequel comes out.

muteant

Nah Zelda is a fall title and won't be released before holiday 2015, they need other games till then.
though for the last decade-plus the major zelda titles have released late in the year, I don't think Nintendo would necessarily hold the title back just to keep with tradition (even if that tradition formed due to a calculation that the title would sell better (and sell more consoles) around the holidays). if they can commit to a early 2015 release date, doing so would create the impression of momentum for the Wii U, and could help entice people to buy the console this upcoming holiday season. supposedly the title could have been shown last June so it's not out of the question that it could be ready in the next 9 months or so.

wrowa

though for the last decade-plus the major zelda titles have released late in the year, I don't think Nintendo would necessarily hold the title back just to keep with tradition (even if that tradition formed due to a calculation that the title would sell better (and sell more consoles) around the holidays). if they can commit to a early 2015 release date, doing so would create the impression of momentum for the Wii U, and could help entice people to buy the console this upcoming holiday season. supposedly the title could have been shown last June so it's not out of the question that it could be ready in the next 9 months or so.

And then they've got nothing for the holiday season 2015. Zelda will be Nintendo's title for November 2015, people really shouldn't get their hopes up. Even if Nintendo announces it at E3 to come out earlier in 2015, we all should know that they'd just delay it anyway. Like always.

Top Bottom