• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 27, 2013 (Jul 01 - Jul 07)

Frodo

My biggest question is, these people buying Wii U's... Which games are they buying? One would think NSMBU or maybe even NintendoLand would show up on the bottom of the charts at least, no? But not a single game charted. Is it so fragmented that no game chats or aren't they buying any games at all. They certainly aren't buying the games on the eShop, are they?

Jamix012

My biggest question is, these people buying Wii U's... Which games are they buying? One would think NSMBU or maybe even NintendoLand would show up on the bottom of the charts at least, no? But not a single game charted. Is it so fragmented that no game chats or aren't they buying any games at all. They certainly aren't buying the games on the eShop, are they?

The Used market is the answer.

Tailzo

Used games, or Wii BC. The used market is huge in Japan.

20./44. [PSP] Dangan-Ronpa (PSP the Best) # <ADV> (Spike) {2011.11.23} (¥2.940) - 3.660 / 85.098
So the anime has recently launched in Japan. This bump might be due to the anime. The VITA version was top selling game on Amazon Japan.

I never expected Toukiden to be a contender for best selling Vita game but with mon hun clones typically having stronger legs overtaking P4G and Miku is probably only a matter of time.

Looks like it will cover whole July by itself preventing Vita from dropping too badly before Dragon Crown.

hiska-kun

Code:
-------------------------------------------------------------
|    |[B]Donkey Kong Returns[/B]| [B]Luigi’s Mansion 2[/B] |  [B]Difference[/B]  |
|    | [WII] (2010/12/09)| [3DS] (2013/03/20)|              |
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|--------------|
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   | DKR – LM2    |
|  1 |  163.310|  163.310|  280.151|  280.151|       116.841|
|  2 |  152.990|  316.300|  110.840|  390.991|        74.691|
|  3 |  214.518|  530.818|   68.423|  459.413|       -71.405|  
|  4 |  107.487|  638.305|   56.562|  515.975|      -122.330| 
|  5 |   66.551|  704.856|   41.296|  557.271|      -147.585|  
|  6 |   29.412|  734.268|   38.884|  596.155|      -138.113|  
|  7 |   20.411|  754.679|   64.420|  660.575|       -94.104|  
|  8 |   19.214|  773.893|   31.345|  691.921|       -81.972|  
|  9 |   16.493|  790.386|   20.304|  712.225|       -78.161| 
| 10 |   15.971|  806.357|   19.079|  731.304|       -75.053|
| 11 |   10.824|  817.181|   19.649|  750.953|       -66.228|
| 12 |    9.913|  827.094|   15.759|  766.712|       -60.382|
| 13 |    8.836|  835.930|   14.949|  781.660|       -54.270|
| 14 |    7.919|  843.848|   11.859|  793.519|       -50.329|
| 15 |    7.490|  851.339|   11.510|  805.029|       -46.310|
| 16 |    8.526|  859.865|   10.813|  815.842|       -44.023|
| 17 |    6.260|  866.125|         |         |              |
| 18 |    5.120|  871.245|         |         |              |
| 19 |        -|        -|         |         |              |
| 20 |        -|        -|         |         |              |
| 21 |        -|  884.002|         |         |              |
| 22 |    8.944|  892.946|         |         |              |
| 23 |    3.356|  896.302|         |         |              |
|Year|   YTD   |   LTD   |   YTD   |   LTD   |  Difference  |
|  1 |  638.305|  638.305|  815.842|  815.842|       177.537|
|  2 |  314.399|  952.704|        -|        -|             -|
|  3 |   17.517|  970.221|        -|        -|             -|
| LTD|        -|  970.221|        -|  815.842|      -154.379|     
-------------------------------------------------------------

BadWolf

Good hold for Vita and a fantastic start for Toukiden. Do you guys think that the game would have done as well if it were on 3DS or do you think it benefited from being on Vita/PSP (where there is no new MH)?

Anyone know what the next 'major' release is for Vita?

Curious to see how much Pikmin 3 does for WiiU.

Lexxism

Wow. WiiU sales is going up. I guess this must be the advertisements that Ninty was putting in the last few weeks.

FreeMufasa

Everyone always talking about the. Vita and wiiu. No one is noticing the 3ds doing terribly too, despite a lot or big releases.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Wow, great start for EDF 4! And is this the first time an EDF game is being sold at regular retail price?

Toukiden is certainly a biggest surprise this year. Marketing is so small compared to Soul Sacrifice but it beat SS to the ground. Look like I'll get it when it comes out in US.

DaBoss

Good hold for Vita and a fantastic start for Toukiden. Do you guys think that the game would have done as well if it were on 3DS or do you think it benefited from being on Vita/PSP (where there is no new MH)?

Hard to say either way. God Eater did really good and it was released on the PSP after the Monster Hunter craze. Toukiden on the PSP shows the market is somewhat there. It's a game in a popular genre.

Dragon's Crown I think.

Everyone always talking about the. Vita and wiiu. No one is noticing the 3ds doing terribly too, despite a lot or big releases.

Not worth talking about until Pokemon and MH4 releases - chances are those drops are only people preordering/waiting for special skus.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It's doing 10% less than last year. That is before MH4, Pokemon and Zelda, so I wouldn't be too worried about its performance. Phenomenons are around the corner.

Sony helped with advertisement, and I doubt Nintendo would do that, so I would say no.

Actually, the lack of MH clones on the 3DS is very strange, could Nintendo and Capcom have some sort of deal?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Digicomparison

Media Create

08./04. [PSP] Digimon World Re:Digitize <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.19} (¥5.230) - 31.037 / 116.854 (-64%)
13./06. [3DS] Digimon World Re:Digitize Decode <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.06.27} (¥5.480) - 10.690 / 45.041 (-69%)

Famitsu

09./04. [PSP] Digimon World Re:Digitize <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.19} (¥5.230) - 29.877 / 103.345 (-59%)
12./06. [3DS] Digimon World Re:Digitize Decode <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.06.27} (¥5.480) - 11.765 / 48.890 (-68%)

It's a late port with some new content, doesn't seem a bad result to me.

Yea. Everyone says that Japan is a handheld land, but based on previous generations, 3DS is definitely not carrying the slack for the rest of the market.

Nibel

3DS has nothing to worry about, there are about 3+ juggernauts coming out for it and even if these don't do well you still have a huge userbase

Vita + Wii U are dying

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Actually, the lack of MH clones on the 3DS is very strange, could Nintendo and Capcom have some sort of deal?

Yeah it is sort of odd.

Though, if I was a 3rd party and had a MH clone in the works, I would plan it for after the MH4 bomb hits.

Glass Rebel

Vita/PSP vs. 3DS or vs. Vita/3DS?

BadWolf

Hard to say either way. God Eater did really good and it was released on the PSP after the Monster Hunter craze. Toukiden on the PSP shows the market is somewhat there. It's a game in a popular genre.

Dragon's Crown I think.

Good point about GE, yeah probably too hard to tell. Still is a good indication that new IP can do well on the system. Between Gravity Daze, Soul Sacrifice, Toukiden and the upcoming Tearaway and Freedom Wars, Vita is not doing half bad when it comes to new IP.

Thanks, lets see how it does compared to the PS3 version.

Sony helped with advertisement, and I doubt Nintendo would do that, so I would say no.

Didn't notice this but yeah, wonder whats up.

Vita/PSP vs. 3DS or vs. Vita/3DS?

3DS vs. Vita/PSP.

Mpl90

Yeah it is sort of odd.

Though, if I was a 3rd party and had a MH clone in the works, I would plan it for after the MH4 bomb hits.

Actually, there is a sort of MH clone on 3DS coming.

It's One Piece: Unlimited World Red.

Well it's pretty much foregone conclusion that it won't match those crazy sales DS did back in a day so now it's just trucking along before MH and Pokemon juggernauts. There is not much to comment on.

- That is a pretty great result for ED4 no?

-Toukiden holding very well. I believe we might have Vita's biggest success.

- Another small but real rise for Wii U. Look, I'm not going to claim advertising is the only, or the biggest problem with hardware sales, but I do think the complete lack of any sort of advertising for literally 3 months might have been a contributing factor to the 5-6K sales we've seen recently (like, if Nintendo had been advertising, maybe sales are *only* 9-10k awful). Next week will be very interesting. I want to say 30K minimum should be expected.
It's still in the 6K realm in Famitsu.

A complete lack of advertising doesn't help, of course. But there are greater underlying issues, as you note. Although, in Japan at least, the core product doesn't seem as much of an ill-fit for the marketplace.

I also wouldn't be surprised if some of this minor lift is due to Pikmin in the next tracking period.

Vinnk

If after MH4 and Pokemon its still doing these numbers THEN it will be something to talk about. Right now it's Japan's healthiest platform. It's not going anywhere. The WiiU and Vita on the other hand are not living up to their predecessors in a far worse way than DS->3DS. That's why they are interesting.

Mpl90

Guys, it's FreeMufasa. XD

And still, 3DS sold 45k this week according to MC. You will see hardware rising again with the Luigi 3DS XL, then Disney 3DS XL, then Obon and then...madness.

Ah, yeah, the 3DS difference between MC and Famitsu continues :lol

EDIT: It's obvious 3DS is not replicating the DS sales back in 2006-2007. But people should remember those were something absolutely unbelievable, it's almost impossible to replicate things like...200k sold per week. And that the current 3DS numbers are still very good. This before the madness.

DaBoss

Well games take time to develop. No one saw Monster Hunter coming out for the 3DS. Developers were already investing in hunting action games for the PSV (and PSP in some cases) and expected MH to be there to lead the charge.

Glass Rebel

3DS vs. Vita/PSP.

Obviously speculating but the difference between the Vita and PSP versions being huge and the 3DS version looking more like the latter I feel it would have sold less than the Vita version alone. It could have outsold the PSP version, maybe.

Ah, yeah, the 3DS difference between MC and Famitsu continues :lol
Are there particular stores that people buying Nintendo products or Sony products are visiting or something, that are under- or over-represented in each respective tracker?

It is rather interesting to see the discrepancies.

kswiston

Well games take time to develop. No one saw Monster Hunter coming out for the 3DS. Developers were already investing in hunting action games for the PSV (and PSP in some cases) and expected MH to be there to lead the charge.

It's been just under 2 years since the Monster Hunter 3DS announcement. That's enough time to develop a portable clone or two.

If they really wanted to, some of these recent Vita hunting games could have been transitioned to 3DS. They would have been very early in development when the Monster Hunter exclusivity was announced.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Are there particular stores that people buying Nintendo products or Sony products are visiting or something, that are under- or over-represented in each respective tracker?

I've been following this thread for about 6 years and the 2 trackers seem to go through periods where they disagree on hardware sales but usually go back and forth so it evens out in the end.

Take Wii U- famitsu has been tracking it lower for a while, but I believe it tracked the platform higher during launch.

Mpl90

It would be quite interesting to see what stores are tracked by Famitsu, but not by MC, and the other way around, as well as the ones tracked by both. This is how it'd be possible to understand where the discrepancies come from.

EDIT: schuelma is saying something right too. Maybe it's just a period where Famitsu undertracks 3DS because it overtracked the console before, for a recalibration of tracked sales and actual sales?

crinale

Thank god Vita is capable of cross-play with PSP.
It was unfortunate that it wasn't possible at the beginning.
(too bad for Lord of Apocalypse...)

SmokyDave

Yup. It goes unnoticed thanks to the twin floptacular headliners, but all is not well in handheldland. Sure, it'll get better later in the year, but should the platform really be declining in sales at this point? I don't think so.

Coxy

Woah, that EDF number is crazy, never expected it to sell that much, I was HOPING but I didnt think it would

DaBoss

It's been just under 2 years since the Monster Hunter 3DS announcement. That's enough time to develop a portable clone or two.

If they really wanted to, some of these recent Vita hunting games could have been transitioned to 3DS. They would have been very early in development when the Monster Hunter exclusivity was announced.

Like I said, they were already invested towards the Vita and PSP. Sony has also helped with Toukiden. There is really no other developer left to make hunting action games.

The only hunting action game I think Sony is not involved in is GE2, but that could change.

Foshy

Looking at the Famitsu sell-through, Toriko was overshipped like crazy. Only 0-20% of shipped copies were sold.

There are just too many still-active platforms.

I feel like there should be some cataclysm in this industry to reverse the balkanisation trend.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Just in case anyone is wondering why PS4 and Xbone will be released in EU and US first.

Seems home consoles are pretty much dead in Japan.

Top Bottom