• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 27, 2013 (Jul 01 - Jul 07)

Glass Rebel

Level 5 too.

Yeah, remembered these two but you guys caught me before the edit. It's true that they show strong support but, and this goes more for Capcom rather than Level-5, it's lacking in quantity. But that probably has to do with Capcom's focus on international development and a decrease in projects overall.

I must have forgotten Level-5 because despite their support they seem to be struggling to remain relevant. Aren't sales for Inazuma Eleven and Layton going back? Fantasy Life must have been a successful project for them but I wonder how Danboru Senki Wars, Inazuma Eleven Go Galaxy and especially Yokai Watch will do.

Nothing since DQVII:R and nothing announced either as far as I am aware. There was a trademark registration for a DQM2 remake and they've hinted at Bravely Default 2 but that's it. They're awfully silent imo.

Not counting Level 5, Square Enix, Agatsuma, Kadokawa, Capcom, Marvelous, etc.etc.
I see.

I wrote about the bolded above.

Agatsuma: They're pretty small, aren't they? Umihara Kawase looks cool but after that it's really unclear which platforms they'll work on.

Kadokawa: I'm not familiar with their stuff. What have they done/are doing for 3DS? Is Metal Max Kadokawa published?

Marvelous: Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, Senran Kagura I assume? Fair point. And they seem to be doing a game with inti creates as well from what I remember.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Japan seems to have a noteworthy number of people who don't really care about the distinction and are just in the market for "thing that plays video games."

An example of this in the West would also be phones/tablets and handhelds.

Sure, you might not get buttons or Nintendo titles, but for parts of the market titles like Angry Birds and Where's My Water are more than enough, and thus they don't feel the need to pick up a handheld even if in the past they had a DS for Brain Age.

The Vita + PS4 thingy is not going to boost Vita sales. People are not going to buy a secondary device for $250 on top of a device for $399.

Of course not - they will buy it to play those dozens free PSN+ vita games they accumulated from subscription they bough for playing PS4 online.

Frillen

Of course not - they will buy it to play those dozens free PSN+ vita games they accumulated from subscription they bough for playing PS4 online.

You're saying of course not, then saying people are going to buy a secondary device for $250 on top of a device for $399.

I don't think people will.

FreeMufasa

Yup. It goes unnoticed thanks to the twin floptacular headliners, but all is not well in handheldland. Sure, it'll get better later in the year, but should the platform really be declining in sales at this point? I don't think so.

It's in it's 3rd year, had a major redesign, a big price drop, several colours and bundles, 2d, 3d, rpg and kart mario. Pokemon will move systems but I can't see it doing anything the more than the Marios could. And after that what's next? New super mario bros 3 I think. Or new super mario world.

z0m3le

Banned
An example of this in the West would also be phones/tablets and handhelds.

Sure, you might not get buttons or Nintendo titles, but for parts of the market titles like Angry Birds and Where's My Water are more than enough, and thus they don't feel the need to pick up a handheld even if in the past they had a DS for Brain Age.

Not really sure about your point here, I mean people going out to buy "that thing that plays video games" isn't going out to buy a phone or a tablet, gaming on these devices are secondary functions and probably a fairly low percentage of people buying those devices are buying them to play games, though granted that statement is just a guess.

People buying Vita and 3DS in japan are buying them to play games so it really is an odd comparison to make, if 3DS and Vita compete with consoles anywhere, it would be japan imho.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Not really sure about your point here, I mean people going out to buy "that thing that plays video games" isn't going out to buy a phone or a tablet, gaming on these devices are secondary functions and probably a fairly low percentage of people buying those devices are buying them to play games, though granted that statement is just a guess.

People buying Vita and 3DS in japan are buying them to play games so it really is and odd comparison to make, if 3DS and Vita compete with consoles anywhere, it would be japan imho.

It would be an example of already owning one game playing device and deciding it's good enough and that you thus don't need to buy another.

If someone has a 3DS or is thinking of buying a 3DS, they might decide they don't need a PS4.

If someone has a smartphone/tablet or is thinking of getting one, they might decide they don't need a handheld.

That would be the crux of my analogy, in that both of the latter can conceivably do something better/more than the former (whether it be control precision or hardware power), but it's still a replacement despite this if what the latter offers isn't compelling enough for that consumer.

If you're after Yakuza the 3DS probably won't ever be a replacement for your PS4, but if you're after JRPGs and not a die-hard for FF/KH/DS, then the 3DS might be enough.

CaVaYeRo

So, next, Pikmin week. Not a system seller, but with no other super-hit, it will be interesting to measure the bump. Deserves a lot, and more with those cuuute ads.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So, next, Pikmin week. Not a system seller, but with no other super-hit, it will be interesting to measure the bump. Deserves a lot, and more with those cuuute ads.

I predict 35-40K hardware, 100-125K range for Pikmin 3.

SmokyDave

Because 40k in a quiet week is still healthy - because the Q1/2 lineup was anemic compared to last year, it's really easy to see. Everyone knows DS 06/07 numbers are not achievable, so it's back to reality. The 3DS is a healthy platform.
I disagree with the bolded. I don't think most people know, let alone everyone. I think the popular perception is that the 3DS is actually ahead of the DS. As for those numbers not being achievable, why is that? The 3DS doesn't have the competition that the DS did. Where have all the extra gamers gone? Are smartphone games big in Japan? Just taking the years you've mentioned:

This week
3DS - 44.222
PSV - 20,776
PSP - 5,768

Total - 70,766

Jul 2nd - Jul 8th 2007.

DS - 139,286
PSP - 32,946

Total - 172,232

Jul 3rd - Jul 9th 2006.

DS - 1,009
DSL - 149,454
PSP- 31,959

Total - 182,422

(Numbers yoinked from old MC threads). Where did that extra 100k go? Obviously to get any real idea of the big picture, I'd need to look at much more than one week, and all external influences (price cuts / software releases / revision releases). I feel as though the 3DS ought to be doing better given the amount of effort that has been put into 'resurrecting' the device.

I disagree with the bolded. I don't think most people know, let alone everyone. I think the popular perception is that the 3DS is actually ahead of the DS. As for those numbers not being achievable, why is that? The 3DS doesn't have the competition that the DS did. Where have all the extra gamers gone? Are smartphone games big in Japan? Just taking the years you've mentioned:

This week
3DS - 44.222
PSV - 20,776
PSP - 5,768

Total - 70,766

Jul 2nd - Jul 8th 2007.

DS - 139,286
PSP - 32,946

Total - 172,232

Jul 3rd - Jul 9th 2006.

DS - 1,009
DSL - 149,454
PSP- 31,959

Total - 182,422

(Numbers yoinked from old MC threads). Where did that extra 100k go? Obviously to get any real idea of the big picture, I'd need to look at much more than one week, and all external influences (price cuts / software releases / revision releases). I feel as though the 3DS ought to be doing better given the amount of effort that has been put into 'resurrecting' the device.
3DS is lacking the many mass market games that propelled the DS into great heights, and the few it does have are doing worse than the DS entrees ( Animal Crossing and Friend Collection being the exceptions).

BadWolf

3DS is lacking the many mass market games that propelled the DS into great heights, and the few it does have are doing worse than the DS entrees ( Animal Crossing and Friend Collection being the exceptions).

It seems to be getting hit by the same problem as WiiU, where a lot of the sales of it predecessor came from casuals and those casuals either don't care to upgrade to a new system and/or have moved on to smartphones.

There are still people that think the 3DS is ahead of the DS? Wow, I must not be paying attention. That is insane. Everything is disappointing sales-wise compared to the DS in Japan. The DS however is outpacing the GBA/PS2, I just can't see how that can be put in a bad light.

You know, seeing Toukiden being so successful makes me think we could see Toukiden: Ultimate at launch of PS4, like MH3G HD Version last year, on Wii U.
Capcom has the notion that a console version of MH needs to exist for it to be successful in the west, which is the sole reason why MHP3HD and MH3G HD exist. Seeing how Toukiden has already been announced for the west with no HD version, I don't think it's going to happen.

Anybody else think it's weird that no monhan clone has been announced for the 3DS yet? Seems like Capcom jumping ship caught everybody by surprise and now that the subgenre has found it's niche on Vita, there's no reason to switch... Maybe something could get announced at TGS this year at the latest.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is available on the 3DS eShop right?
Yes, for 3,400.

No word about MH4 so far, and the bundle includes a hard copy of the game, so I think it won't be available on the eShop at launch. Ace Attorney 5 is also retail only.

Glass Rebel

[numbers]

Interesting but you say it yourself, we need more data to get a better picture of the situation at hand. Could it be that the redesigned system being an LL version is hurting the system?

There are still people that think the 3DS is ahead of the DS? Wow, I must not be paying attention. That is insane. Everything is disappointing sales-wise compared to the DS in Japan. The DS however is outpacing the GBA/PS2, I just can't see how that can be put in a bad light.

DS or 3DS?

allan-bh

Nintendo DS in 2006 (after DS Lite launch) and 2007 was insane. I think we probably never see something like that again.

3DS is being supported by most of the major Japanese studios. I don't see how support is bad.
Its bad in the level of support each company is giving. You look at the support for the DS and compare it to the 3DS. Its not as smooth as it should be. Its kinda weird, last year the support was pretty good but then this year it seems to have died down. I think the MH delay and Pokemon probably screwed up a few plans and they've been moved to late this year/early next year. I'm not worried about the 3DS though, third parties are a bit more willing to experiment on it, its the Wii U thats more worrying.

At the end of the day third parties are supporting the 3DS with bigger games than they did for the DS, just less of them, not sure if thats the best thing for the platform.

The Brain Training/Touchgen people was the 100k. Where do you think they went? Certainly not to sony systems.

You know its nice to see Vita doing decently even if it wont last particularly long, 3DS lineup has been pretty mediocre which is why its doing mediocre for 3DS. 40k as baselineis not terrible though.

Japanese 3rd parties are investing the smaller games into mobile which hurts the handheld market in japan. DQ mainline or MH mainline is never going mobile though when they can make so much

allan-bh

More data to aggregate the discussion:

3DS (Week 01 to 27 2013) 1.979.471

NDS (Week 01 to 27 2005) 1.112.953
NDS (Week 01 to 27 2006) 3.696.964
NDS (Week 01 to 27 2007) 4.110.804.

DS is just insane after Lite.

Nintendo needs an actual lite revision for 3ds that is cheaper.XL revisions are not for everyone. I guess they are saving it for next year. Also where the hell is the Nintendo Direct

SmokyDave

The Brain Training/Touchgen people was the 100k. Where do you think they went?
I don't know, that's why I asked. I know where they went in the west, but I don't know anything about smartphone gaming in Japan.

Certainly not to sony systems.
Obviously, that's what piqued my curiosity in the first place. An awful lot of DS & PSP owners have simply 'disappeared'. Japan is always referred to as a land of handhelds, yet it seems their handheld market is contracting pretty sharply.

Add the Vita & PSP in and the gaps grow even bigger.

Glass Rebel

Actually looking at July 2006 charts, it isn't that surprising that NDS was beasting: MC was dominated by NSMB, Brain Age and Animal Crossing.

Kinda hard for the 3DS to replicate that.

I never thought we'd see a day when handhelds will die in Japan. It makes me sad to see the declining Gaming industry of Japan, which always used to be the front runner in Gaming.

Madouu

Exactly, and if we were to simplify things we could say that it's mainly because of the brain training series dying off. See my post from a few threads back for reference:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=57189144&postcount=302

The decline in the Brain Training series is probably the steepest drop in the history of videogames software. Else, software that is more targetted towards the more classical definition of a gamer seems to be doing mostly slightly better on 3DS than on the DS.

It's a very healthy platform and although it is not selling huge amounts right now and is in a little yoy decline, its sales will still soar in the next few months as major software targeted towards audiences that might not have picked it yet will be released.

The question is how much revenue these excellent-to-be hardware sales will generate as far as software sales go but also eshop revenue.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I never thought we'd see a day when handhelds will die in Japan. It makes me sad to see the declining Gaming industry of Japan, which always used to be the front runner in Gaming.

Where are handhelds dying in Japan. It's not that if a console doesn't reach the absurd number DS did in 2006/2007, then it's dead. Otherwise, PS2 and GBA were more "dead" than 3DS right now. Seriously, why the fuck it must be all black and white.

Let's look at the big picture instead of weak Summer weeks. They are pushing for 5M in 2013, which is not a bad result at all.

35l.jpg

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ah, earlier I mentioned One Piece: Unlimited World Red as the first MH clone being released on 3DS.
It seems we know when it's coming indeed

- November 21st, 2013
- 5,980 Yen
- Luffy gum-gum actions let him reach new areas
- Ingredients/materials will be used to develop and grow a town
- Free DLC for preorders (Luffy SW costume, playable Ace)

Where are handhelds dying in Japan. It's not that if a console doesn't reach the absurd number DS did in 2006/2007, then it's dead. Otherwise, PS2 and GBA were more "dead" than 3DS right now. Seriously, why the fuck it must be all black and white.
Ok, i went a bit overboard but right now it isn't really showing much strong numbers. Can Nintendo really replicate the success of DS? I don't see Sony creating another dedicated handheld in the future and Nintendo might have the entire handheld market in that case.

Ok, i went a bit overboard but right now it isn't really showing much strong numbers. Can Nintendo really replicate the success of DS? I don't see Sony creating another dedicated handheld in the future and Nintendo might have the entire handheld market in that case.

Even with Vita failing I don't think Sony will leave the handheld market. They won't leave it all to Nintendo.

It really does seem the that the JP industry is on a descent though its probably due to the DS and Wii being such anomalies where a lot of casuals bought hardware and software.

Also did Tokuiden become one of Tecmo's biggest franchises after DW and FotNS

I suspect this years things will end up 3DS > Wii U > PS4 > the rest; Wii U is selling too much for having literally 'nothing' being released on the system recently.

guek

Banned
I never thought we'd see a day when handhelds will die in Japan.

If this is indicative of handhelds "dying," I shudder to think how badly PS4 is going to flop.
fyi I don't think it will

Seriously, why the fuck it must be all black and white.

Welcome to gaf :p

The truth of the matter is the 3DS just doesn't have the expanded audience like the DS did. What they really need are a slew of NEW hits, not just new installments of old franchises or middling successes. At the end of the day, there's little hope for the 3DS to match the DS but it'll likely eclipse the GBA and really, I think that's good enough. The DS was such a monster. It really was the PS2/PS1/NES of last gen.

Top Bottom