• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2017 (Jul 24 - Jul 30)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
A PSP game is still the best selling.

Comparing the first 4 PSP games and the first 4 3DS games makes no sense since the 3DS inherited the success that was obtained on PSP. That wasn't the case for PSP.
Yes and Pokemon red/blue are still the best selling pokemon games but Pokemon still exists just fine. A series not hitting it's peak within an environment again is not some great crime when it has yearly consitency. That's worth far more or do you think Yokai watch trajectory is a good model to follow?

Expanding to always made sense but at the cost of handheld support and fragmenting the userbase is just sort sighted.

gtj1092

Phrase it like this:

Final Fantasy didn't explode in popularity in the west until FF7 due to FMV scenes.

Maybe "Open World" will be the reason MHW explodes in popularity in the west if it does. (I know the developers called it seamless rather than open.)

Does it matter why? People still love the game and the series. Either way things can change. Series can rise or fall even after "x" number of releases.

Comparing the first 4 PSP games and the first 4 3DS games makes no sense since the 3DS inherited the success that was obtained on PSP. That wasn't the case for PSP.

And the PSP games obtained the success from the PS2 titles (MH and MHG), so let's not pretend it started off from scratch and built anew on the PSP .

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Capcom for reasons only this company knows separates budget rereleases from first releases as if none of its games collapse in price shortly after release.

Fiendcode

Capcom for reasons only this company knows separates budget rereleases from first releases as if none of its games collapse in price shortly after release.
Yes, Capcom technically considers those separate releases. That said 2nd G might still be overtracked in Japan since the Best release says it sold through a million alone and Capcom doesn't have it in their Platinum charts.

BadWolf

And the PSP games obtained the success from the PS2 titles (MH and MHG), so let's not pretend it started off from scratch and built anew on the PSP .

Oh please, the series didn't become a huge success until it took off on PSP.

The difference between what PSP and 3DS inherited is night and day.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I don't feel there was actually a lot wrong with Resident Evil 7's promotion and advertising. Awareness seemed good. It's just a game concept that isn't nearly as broadly appealing (especially at a high price point) as AAAA production values co-op third person shooter.

Promotion and advertising in general isn't the issue for AAA games. Initial product conceptualization is usually the stumbling block higher quality titles hit, insomuch that they're just fundamentally unappealing products.

If we're talking small digital titles, sure, awareness is a huge issue. Something like Castle in the Darkness would probably do better if more people knew about it. For AAA games though, the awareness is generally there, and almost every company can successfully expand their advertising campaign to hit new audiences if the product proves to be a breakout success. It's just that people aren't interested in the products to begin with, even if they're rated well, so they never get to the point where it makes sense to buy NFL advertising or whatever. Publishers frequently tried making those kinds of expenditures last generation, and it didn't do any good, which is why they stopped.

So, don't you think that the bad reception of RE6 had anything to do with it?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Yes, Capcom technically considers those separate releases. That said 2nd G might still be overtracked in Japan since the Best release says it sold through a million alone and Capcom doesn't have it in their Platinum charts.
I'm not in front of my database but I think there were hardware bundles with first reprint.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
MH talk is quite boring.

Snack World will be released next week - what do we expect ? The anime bombed from what i recall and there is like zero hype for the game.

ethomaz

Banned
Capcom themselves have only stated it's shipped 3.8 on it's updated platinum sellers list so I'm not sure where that site got it's numbers from.

Capcom site only list one PSP SKU because it was the only to sell over 1 million. Different SKUs from the same game below 1 million are not listed.

I guess that the issue here like a lot of games listed in that million site.

edit: re-releases not included?
Only re-releases over 1 million.

lyrick

MHX was actually the bet selling title after the PSP titles.
Titles?

MonHun Series sales

[PSP] MHF3 is the Best selling @ 4.9M
[3DS] MHX is the Second Best @ 4.2M
[3DS] MH4G/U is the Third @ 4.1M
[3DS] MH4 is fourth @ 4.1M
[PSP] MHF2G/U is fifth @ 3.8M
[3DS] MH3G/U is sixth @ 2.6M
[PSP] MHF2 is seventh @ 2.4M
[WII] MH3 is eigth @ 1.9M
[3DS] MHXX is ninth at 1.7M

http://www.capco m.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

While the PSP has the single best selling title, the 3DS has the 2nd, 3rd and 4th best selling.

ethomaz

Banned
MonHun Series sales

[PSP] MHF3 is the Best selling @ 4.9M
[3DS] MHX is the Second Best @ 4.2M
[3DS] MH4G/U is the Third @ 4.1M
[3DS] MH4 is fourth @ 4.1M
[PSP] MHF2G/U is fifth @ 3.8M
[3DS] MH3G/U is sixth @ 2.6M
[PSP] MHF2 is seventh @ 2.4M
[WII] MH3 is eigth @ 1.9M
[3DS] MHXX is ninth at 1.7M

http://www.capco m.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html
I think you need to read again his comment.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
MH talk is quite boring.

Snack World will be released next week - what do we expect ? The anime bombed from what i recall and there is like zero hype for the game.

What's the deal with Level 5 launching localizations of Layton WW on mobile but not on 3DS? Were they managed by a different studio? 3DS should be higher margin and it says it sold 5k on android so far.

Ōkami

Dragon Quest VIII and IX both shipped 3m on launch week, its likely XI is slightly below them adding digital.

It'll have no trouble selling that shipment, namely the PS4 version, unlike a certian other RPG.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, don't you think that the bad reception of RE6 had anything to do with it?

No, since otherwise Resident Evil 7 would have shown strong legs, whereas Resident Evil 6 is the game that showed strong legs instead.

We've also seen that games that are big new pushes for series don't seem dependent on the performance of the prior games:
- Mortal Kombat 2011
- Tomb Raider 2013
- Ghost Recon Wildlands
- Rainbow Six Siege

Consumers are pretty good at evaluating a game on its own merits.

I similarly don't expect God of War PS4 to be impacted by God of War Ascension, or for Spider-Man PS4 to be impacted by the last Activision game.

LordKano

What's the deal with Level 5 launching localizations of Layton WW on mobile but not on 3DS? Were they managed by a different studio? 3DS should be higher margin and it says it sold 5k on android so far.

Nothing really makes sense concerning current Level-5 projects.

Alrus

MH talk is quite boring.

Unless the game is a surprise hit which feeds into the anime which then feeds back into the game, it's going to bomb hard.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I think you need to read again his comment.

Yeah makes it almost impossible to know the actual ltd of these titles also you know how much was sold in the west (or first release japanese shipments) and also add in tracked data with it's set of issues.

L~A

MH talk is quite boring.

Funny you should mention The Snack World, as it finally popped up in the Weekly Top 10 that's always filled with the same long-running anime.

1ccpnz.jpg

First time it appeared in the Top 10, so it seems to finally be gaining traction. No idea what it means for the game.

Speaking of anime, Pokémon has been pretty stable since SM started, much more than previous series. But it's the first year of a new gen, so no surprise.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
MH talk is quite boring.

It will bomb. The response to it seems rather muted. Don't see this becoming Level 5's next milk title

You don't grow a brand by selling less unit.

But that's exactly what the Monster Hunter series has been doing ever since Portable 3rd. Capcom want to grow the franchise, that's not going to happen on 3DS. They'd be absolutely moronic if they didn't try to push the franchise on PS4/XB1 and PC. No one knows what will happen, but Switch alone is not going to get them the growth they need, not now, not with that size of an install base.

This isn't a surefire victory for Capcom, but as I say, they'd be idiots if they didn't at least try.

I said "a" major reason, not the only one. MHW is a new, attractive and major MH releasing less than 9 months after MHXXHD. People that were hungry for a HD MH game and thus initially interested in MHXXHD logically lost all their interest as soon as MHW was announced, provided they are able to wait a few months.

I don't see how it couldn't have an impact. Even if it wasn't MHXX but a different, less lazy title, the impact would still have been present.

I doubt, honestly. On the one hand, Monster Hunter supposedly thrives in Japan because it's on handhelds. Why then, would a new Monster Hunter have such a heavy impact on MHXX's potential sales in a region that supposedly only cares about whether or not they can play MH on the commute to work? Do you see why what you're saying doesn't match up with the narrative I'm seeing spun in these threads? Sure, there will be some people who look at MHWorld then XX and wince, but IF Japan cares more about portability, then surely the impact will be minimal.

On the other hand, and I'm playing devil's advocate here, his whole thing COULD instead prove that Japan care more about playing a new Monster Hunter game than where they play it, no? So either way, let's not start propping up MHXX as an excuse for a potentially underperforming MHXX, when the series has been in decline for the past few entries and the game is coming out on a system with a small install base when the 3DS entry has already saturated the market.

Busaiku

Last week's episode of Snack World charted in the top 10, that's how I learned of it existence.
It was above Yōkai Watch, but below Pokémon.

MoonFrog

What even is an under-performing MHXX Switch?! The game already sold its main numbers on 3DS. What do people think it should have sold on Switch but is going to fail to sell?

Oh please, the series didn't become a huge success until it took off on PSP.

The difference between what PSP and 3DS inherited is night and day.

Irrelevant. Claiming the MH series has been on the decline since it left PSP, despite selling 4million+ back-to-back-to-back (MH4, MH4U, MHX), is as disingenuous as stating that Mario has been on the decline since the NES since it hasn't been able to reach the sales of SMB.

BadWolf

Irrelevant. Claiming the MH series has been on the decline since it left PSP, despite selling 4million+ back-to-back-to-back (MH4, MH4U, MHX), is as disingenuous as stating that Mario has been on the decline since the NES since it hasn't been able to reach the sales of SMB.

lol

Capcom obviously wants to stop its reliance on domestic sales. They are willing to sacrifice 2-3 million units at home in the hope of gaining 6-7 abroad.

I hope for them that it works out

Even RE7 barely made it to that level and it is arguably one of the biggest gaming IP out there.

sense

And people thought monster hunter talk would die down once platforms for the new one are confirmed!!

so I guess 4 to 5 million is the minimum monster hunter world needs to sell worldwide to justify the jump to PS4/xb1/pc. It's doable but it needs to really take off outside Japan. Asian markets would probably help it more than the rest of the world.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I think updating the series for the west to try to tap into successful ps4 makes sense.

What doesn't make sense to me is abandoning the portable audience in the west (and Japan?) completely.

Monster hunter xx and world can coexist. Heck you could even make world for switch and have crossplay between all platforms.

Capcom still seems to believe in a very marked east west mindset. sure there are differences in the markets, but there are synergies to be exploited.

MH fans in the west know that it exists and is coming to Japan and not the west. pushing for global release let's you consolidate marketing budgets and hype. There's a thing called the internet now. We live in a very globalized society.

And people thought monster hunter talk would die down once platforms for the new one are confirmed!!

so I guess 4 to 5 million is the minimum monster hunter world needs to sell worldwide to justify the jump to PS4/xb1/pc. It's doable but it needs to really take off outside Japan. Asian markets would probably help it more than the rest of the world.

Thing is it's not only about selling copies .
MHW can sell 4 million copies and still make more money than any MH thanks to DD \ DLC etc etc .
Looking at things just as units sales only is not the way to go .
Of course we don't get access to that data but it's still something to think about .

I think updating the series for the west to try to tap into successful ps4 makes sense.

What doesn't make sense to me is abandoning the portable audience in the west (and Japan?) completely.

Monster hunter xx and world can coexist. Heck you could even make world for switch and have crossplay between all platforms.

Capcom still seems to believe in a very marked east west mindset. sure there are differences in the markets, but there are synergies to be exploited.

MH fans in the west know that it exists and is coming to Japan and not the west. pushing for global release let's you consolidate marketing budgets and hype. There's a thing called the internet now. We live in a very globalized society.
Even Nintendo knows this.

I sure capcom knows that since they do it with all there other games .
I think it was a matter of timing more than anything else.
If MHW was coming out lets say late next year i could see it being on everything .
But switch now out and they already full ahead .

Top Bottom