• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2014 (Aug 18 - Aug 24)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
half of monster hunter would be higher than the latest mainline final fantasy
Yes, obviously that's a lot higher than they're likely to get, but this is the kind of star shooting that makes sense to them on lower margin products.

Hence why they expect things like 4.5-5 million for Hitman and 5-6 million for Tomb Raider. They want huge ROI if they invest internal staff.

If they could aim for half of Monster Hunter and get the series to 800K-1 million in the attempt, at least it moves the needle on an earnings report.

Now, what they'd need to hit to keep going once the staff get more experienced might be a different story. Most of the 800k-1 million PSP series had their teams moved to console support.

If they can't get even there after ~2 entries, I would also expect the series to disappear.

antibolo

Banned
how many japanese developed games have been released on PS4 launch ?

I don't see so many differences

Uh no, the Japanese launch had some, notably Yakuza Isshin, a couple of digital-only stuff, and of course Knack. Not a lot, but definitely more than zero.

But I guess the Xbone will at least have that game made by the Panzer Dragoon folks, so there's that.

I think S-E dropped the ball regarding the B-tier handheld game.

DS and PSP received tremendous support and those games couldn't have been that expensive to make. I can't imagine the bulk of them not being profitable.

Bravely Default and FF:TR are proof that handheld gamers miss the Sqaure Enix that delivered quiality titles on a constant basis on handhelds last gen. they crave SE gaming.

I can understand wanting to get a slice of the mobile pie but why neglect that other market that they have secured over the years??

yes, there's FF: Explorers coming but it has taken them way too long.

where are the Valkyrie profile games? the Mana games?

where's the next main Final Fantasy Tactics game? GBA, PSP (remake) and DS each got one. where the hell is it?

They're on iOS and Android. Square Enix no longer cares about real game platforms.

antibolo

Banned
Thanks for the photos hiska-kun. I wonder how Xbone will do...

I honestly don't see how the Xbone could sell anything in Japan. The audience that wants Western games has already bought the PS4, which can be seen by how cross-gen Western games have consistently sold more on PS4 than PS3 since launch, unlike Japanese cross-gen games where the reverse has been true.

Microsoft will probably drop a few moneyhat bombs during TGS next week, but we all know how well that happened the previous two times.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm pretty sure Bravely Default passed a million WW
It did. But they can't put them on FF15 for example because they don't own Silicon Studio, so if they want to continue that profit they have to keep making BD games instead of trying to find an even more lucrative project for them to work on even if it's not what they really want to do.

On the flip side they can tell the Dissidia people to go work on FF14 or FF15 until they leave and start a mobile developer, which several of them did.

sphinx

the piano man
I think they basically just ran the opportunity cost numbers and went "Putting the staff that made this on FFXIV instead will make us more money than releasing a tactics game which might sell 300K on 3DS.".

Assuming this is what happened, is it wise from them to put all their eggs in one basket?

I agree with ZSaberlink, they definitely left money on the table and a portion of the 3DS/Vita userbase starved, in japan to some extent but more so in the west.

It did. But they can't put them on FF15 for example because they don't own Silicon Studio, so if they want to continue that profit they have to keep making BD games instead of trying to find an even more lucrative project for them to work on even if it's not what they really want to do.

On the flip side they can tell the Dissidia people to go work on FF14 or FF15 until they leave and start a mobile developer, which several of them did.

That was in response to someone questioning if it broke 600k worldwide earlier.

edit: yeah this guy
Bravely Default success (in the west) is mostly due to the lack of RPG on the system than anything else and still made what? 600k worldwide?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Assuming this is what happened, is it wise from them to put all their eggs in one basket?

I agree with ZSaberlink, they definitely left money on the table and a portion of the 3DS/Vita userbase starved, in japan to some extent but more so in the west.
It's been the general trend we've seen among big publishers in the industry. When you hit a super success they make so much money it makes up for the failures.

EA doesn't even blink an eye when FUSE bombs because of the money Battlefield and FIFA bring in.

Right now FFXIV is making Square Enix a ton of money, and I do believe that's actually the project the Tactics people are working on these days, so in this particular case it would seem to have notably paid off.

FF14's revenue is also 70-95% margins for sub fees depending on platform versus much lower on handhelds, so each dollar they make there is worth a lot more.

That was in response to someone questioning if it broke 600k worldwide earlier.

edit: yeah this guy
Ah I see, sorry.

It's more important for S-E to put money into making sure their big bets pan out than to spread their limited resources over more smaller bets, even though it may seem counterintuitive to put eggs in one basket.

There's a book by an HBS Professor on the rise of the blockbuster strategy, that's now pervasive in the entertainment industries (that I haven't gotten around to reading), and how it provides superior returns. But in her publicity interviews she basically explains the mentality.
...out of the 25 films that Warner Brothers releases, we're going to be spending 2 to 3 hundred million dollars on maybe three to five of those films in the hopes that they reach a billion dollars. And that takes a lot of guts to do because if it fails, and sometimes it does fail, if one of your films fail, well there is a whole lot of negative publicity. And obviously there is--there is a negative impact on the bottom line, but what my research shows, and what he, he pioneered is that, in fact that is a strategy that works really well. It seems that it is more risky, but making a larger number of smaller bets [phonetic] would, in fact, be a lot riskier because the average return you would get for the smaller bets, if you were--if you were, for instance, to make 20 films that each cost $50 million instead of making three or four movies that cost 200 million dollars, the average return you would get for those smaller films is actually a lot lower.
From: http://www.hbs.edu/news/articles/Pages/make-big-bets-blockbuster-strategies.aspx

duckroll

I think with regards to FFXIV in particular, there is another logic at work. FFXIV is such a major big project for S-E that they literally couldn't afford for it to end as a total failure at the end of the day. So while they might be sacrificing a lot of smaller projects which could be profitable in their own right to put those resources into FFXIV instead, it's not because they want to put all their eggs in one basket, but rather that if FFXIV ends up as a total failure, none of those smaller projects will matter. The success the smaller projects bring aren't going to save them from a larger reckoning if FFXIV is dead.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's more important for S-E to put money into making sure their big bets pan out than to spread their limited resources over more smaller bets, even though it may seem counterintuitive to put eggs in one basket.

There's a book by an HBS Professor on the rise of the blockbuster strategy, that's now pervasive in the entertainment industries (that I haven't gotten around to reading), and how it provides superior returns. But in her publicity interviews she basically explains the mentality.
From: http://www.hbs.edu/news/articles/Pages/make-big-bets-blockbuster-strategies.aspx

I think Activision is a wonderful example of this working in the game industry too.

They fund very little with any money, but when they do, taking huge bombs like Blur or Prototype were totally worth it due to how much they make when things go right.

Ubisoft, EA, and Take-Two have had similar success when remodeling their companies to look like Activision.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think with regards to FFXIV in particular, there is another logic at work. FFXIV is such a major big project for S-E that they literally couldn't afford for it to end as a total failure at the end of the day. So while they might be sacrificing a lot of smaller projects which could be profitable in their own right to put those resources into FFXIV instead, it's not because they want to put all their eggs in one basket, but rather that if FFXIV ends up as a total failure, none of those smaller projects will matter. The success the smaller projects bring aren't going to save them from a larger reckoning if FFXIV is dead.

Yes, this is also a strong point.

Similarly it would be really bad for Square Enix if FF15 tanks and the Final Fantasy brand hits irrelevance, since they have very little else that works well for their Japanese studios.

Lernaean

Banned
Wtf? When i saw the software sales i thought we'd have some decent hardware numbers, then BAM! Drops everywhere.
This is so sad.

hiska-kun

First Day Sellthrough:

[PSV] Toukiden: Extreme # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥6.264) - 50%
[PSP] Toukiden: Extreme # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥5.184) - 30%

Vita version >>>>>> PSP version

[PS3] Persona 4: Arena Ultimax # <FTG> (Atlus) (¥7.538) - 50%

[PSV] Hyperdimension Action Neptunia U # <ACT> (Compile Heart) (¥6.458) - 70% (bought by the same dedicated fanbase)

[3DS] Medarot 8: Kabuto Ver. / Kuwagata Ver. <RPG> (Rocket Company) (¥6.264) - more than 50% (the number of sales is low)

[PSV] Love Live! School Idol Paradise Vol.1: Printemps # <ADV> (Kadokawa Games) (¥6.998) - 50%

[PS3] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin F - Coffin of the Dead # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.690) - 60%

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
what are the chances of Gaist Crusher ever getting an international release?

Trying to play as many Treasure games as possible

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
First Day Sellthrough:

[PSV] Toukiden: Extreme # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥6.264) - 50%
[PSP] Toukiden: Extreme # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥5.184) - 30%

Vita version >>>>>> PSP version

[PS3] Persona 4: Arena Ultimax # <FTG> (Atlus) (¥7.538) - 50%

[PSV] Hyperdimension Action Neptunia U # <ACT> (Compile Heart) (¥6.458) - 70% (bought by the same dedicated fanbase)

[3DS] Medarot 8: Kabuto Ver. / Kuwagata Ver. <RPG> (Rocket Company) (¥6.264) - more than 50% (the number of sales is low)

[PSV] Love Live! School Idol Paradise Vol.1: Printemps # <ADV> (Kadokawa Games) (¥6.998) - 50%

[PS3] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin F - Coffin of the Dead # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.690) - 60%

This is so overused, but I can't resist, sorry

Are you ok, Takao? Post if you are okay.

I don't know why we have to bother dancing around theoretical stuff when there are real actual examples of this portable/console strategy thing with regards to the actual franchises brought up.

Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2) - 1.1 million in Japan, >4 million worldwide
Kingdom Hearts BbS (PSP) - >700k in Japan, <2 million worldwide
Kingdom Hearts 3D (3DS) - >300k in Japan, could be <1 million worldwide dunno

Based on these results, S-E made the decision that the next game the BbS and 3D team should work on is Kingdom Hearts 3 for the PS4 and XB1. Why? Because it doesn't matter what it sells in Japan, they want numbers closer to 4 million worldwide than 1-2 million worldwide. It's a real world example. Here's another one:

Final Fantasy XIII (PS3/360) - <2 million in Japan, >6 million worldwide
Final Fantasy Crisis Core (PSP) - >800k in Japan, 3 million worldwide
Final Fantasy Type-0 (PSP) - 700k in Japan... errr... I mean worldwide lol

Tabata and his portable team have clearly shown they can make portable FFs which can sell well in Japan. But is that enough for S-E? Obviously not, because now his has been transplanted onto the FFXV team as co-director to get that shit out of the door. Also for the PS4 and XB1.

Why is S-E taking their two most successful internal portable teams and putting them on their two internal AAA console titles instead? This obviously isn't a coincidence. It shows that the company feels that it is more important to go after that 4-6 million goal than to worry about retaining the ~1 million sales they can hope to get in Japan alone. Let's put things in perspective - even if something like Crisis Core sold twice what it did in Japan (1.6 million), and if FFXIII sold only 500k in japan (1.5 million less!), if everything else stayed the same, FFXIII's worldwide sales would still be a million more. Japan as a market relevance is that small.

Exactly. The West is far more important for the big Japanese franchises than Japan.

In fact even for niche titles the West is becoming more and more important while Japan is becoming less important.

For instance Persona 4 Golden had 50% of its sales in the West iirc and I suspect P5 may actually sell more in the West than JP. Demon Gaze shipped 200k WW and yet JP sales are only 60k.

Demon Gaze shipped 200k WW and yet JP sales are only 60k.

I'm guessing you pulled that figure from japanltdrank?

We know it had sold 50k after 1 week:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47166611&postcount=495

And in terms of physical sales, it had sold through 95% of a shipment which equated to 25k sales:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47167621&postcount=502

I'm guessing there were some strong digital sales due to availability in the first week and they'll count towards the 200k shipped, so I kinda doubt it's only 60k in Japan.

It seems incredibly odd given 6k sales in the USA in the first month. The game doesn't seem to have been stuffed in the channels either, because it's holding its price pretty well (at least in the UK).

Pretty interesting announcements in that Direct. This new 3DS might keep the Japanese gaming market alive for another year and Xenoblade gets a second chance.

I'm guessing you pulled that figure from japanltdrank?

We know it had sold 50k after 1 week:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47166611&postcount=495

And in terms of physical sales, it had sold through 95% of a shipment which equated to 25k sales:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47167621&postcount=502

I'm guessing there were some strong digital sales due to availability in the first week and they'll count towards the 200k shipped, so I kinda doubt it's only 60k in Japan.

It seems incredibly odd given 6k sales in the USA in the first month. The game doesn't seem to have been stuffed in the channels either, because it's holding its price pretty well (at least in the UK).

yeah LTDrank.

Still seems they shipped a lot to Western countries and with such a niche title on the Vita......I was very surprised.

Surprised "new" 3ds had been announced 6 weeks out, who in their right mind will be buying the old ones now, unless they're getting a price cut?

I don't like the name. They should've gone with something more creative. It could also lead to some confusion > New 3DS? You mean 2DS?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21./11. [3DS] Pokemon Art Academy <HOB> (Nintendo) {2014.06.19} (¥3.908)
22./19. [PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.04.24} (¥6.664)
23./21. [3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.01.11} (¥4.800)
24./17. [PSV] Freedom Wars <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.06.26} (¥6.264)
25./15. [3DS] Mario Party: Island Tour <ETC> (Nintendo) {2014.03.20} (¥4.800)
26./16. [3DS] Gundam Tri Age SP <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.07.17} (¥6.145)
27./32. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl <FTG> (Nintendo) {2008.01.31} (¥6.800)
28./25. [PS4] FIFA 14 # <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2014.02.22} (¥7.665)
29./28. [PSV] Persona 4: Golden <RPG> (Atlus) {2012.06.14} (¥7.329)
30./23. [3DS] Hoppechan: Minna de Odekake! Waku Waku Hoppe Land!! <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2014.07.17} (¥5.184)
31./24. [3DS] Style Savvy: Trendsetters - Tokimeki Up! <ETC> (Nintendo) {2014.04.17} (¥4.936)
32./22. [PSV] Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines # <RPG> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.07.17} (¥6.264)
33./31. [WIU] Super Mario 3D World <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.11.21} (¥5.985)
34./26. [PS3] Watch Dogs <ADV> (Ubisoft) {2014.06.26} (¥7.992)
35./38. [3DS] Tomodachi Life # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.04.18} (¥4.800)
36./37. [PS4] Battlefield 4 <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2014.02.22} (¥7.665)
37./27. [3DS] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014: Samurai Blue Challenge <SPT> (Konami) {2014.05.22} (¥5.119)
38./34. [WIU] Dragon Quest X: All in One Package <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.08.07} (¥5.184)
39./00. [PS3] Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late <FTG> (Arc System Works) {2014.07.24} (¥6.264)
40./39. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Z <RPG> (GungHo Online Entertainment) {2013.12.12} (¥4.400)
41./29. [PS3] Atelier Shallie: Alchemist of the Dusk Sea # <RPG> (Gust) {2014.07.17} (¥7.344)
42./45. [3DS] Disney Magic World # <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.08.01} (¥5.480)
43./00. [PS3] Battlefield 4 <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2013.11.07} (¥7.665)
44./47. [WII] Mario Kart Wii <RCE> (Nintendo) {2008.04.10} (¥5.800)
45./30. [PSV] Shin Hayari Gami <ADV> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2014.08.07} (¥6.264)
46./35. [PS3] Shin Hayari Gami <ADV> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2014.08.07} (¥7.344)
47./00. [PS4] Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Real Reborn # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.04.14} (¥3.394)
48./42. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.07.28} (¥4.800)
49./41. [PSV] God Eater 2 (PlayStation Vita the Best) <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.07.10} (¥3.024)
50./50. [WIU] Taiko no Tatsujin: Wii U Version! # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.21} (¥5.480)

Top 50

3DS - 21
PSV - 9
PS3 - 8
PS4 - 5
WIU - 5
WII - 2

SOFTWARE
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    439.000 |    611.000 |    461.000 | 24.243.000 | 26.494.000 |

Mr Swine

Banned
I wonder if New 3DS can hit 3 million this year.

I think Nintendo is betting that the new 3DS will sell extremely well with Smash Bros, Monhun 4, FFE and other games. It has to do it and sales will be so fun to read about in two months! :D I bet Sony has sh@t their pants now from that announcement lol

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I was honestly expecting a 2DS in Japan before this.Seems like they straight up skipped it. They could have releasd it earlier on in the year for some of those awful weekly sales.

Well Mpl was right (new model, NFC support), but without them shipping it to the rest of the world this year, that forecast still seems high.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, those upgrades sound a lot better than just "It's lighter and it has built in NFC.", so I could feasibly see someone wanting this.

Well Mpl was right (new model, NFC support), but without them shipping it to the rest of the world this year, that forecast still seems high.
Even shipping it to the rest of the world the forecast would be high. jvm wrote an article a while back on the diminishing returns of these model revisions.

EDIT: found the figure, US NDS split.
nintendo-ds-model-shares.png

The forecasts are high, but this is a bigger uprgrade honestly than any of those other ones in terms of features. Also, I would assume they could stuff the channels this holiday with so many bundles. I want to say they have to discontinue the old versions to prevent confusions, but they would probably be attractive at lower price points. God the name is stupid.

Also with this we can basically rule out a new handheld anytime soon.

Mr Swine

Banned
The forecasts are high, but this is a bigger uprgrade honestly than any of those other ones in terms of features. Also, I would assume they could stuff the channels this holiday with so many bundles. I want to say they have to discontinue the old versions to prevent confusions, but they would probably be attractive at lower price points. God the name is stupid.

Well that entirely depends on how well the New 3DS sells, it may sell as well as 3DS Did last year next year in Japan. We don't know how it will sell in EU or US

The name is reminiscent of when Apple did that "the new iPad" thing, before they dropped it because it was confusing and didn't make sense when they released another one later.

I guess this is their half-measure between releasing a full-blown new system, and sticking with the current system.

The question is really are these features in relevant dimensions that consumers [who aren't currently buying the system] care about. Features aren't necessarily value.

duckroll

Well, those upgrades sound a lot better than just "It's lighter and it has built in NFC.", so I could feasibly see someone wanting this.

It's interesting how the biggest selling point for the new control functions is "these upcoming games natively support it: MH4G, FFEX, Smash". It could be quite a compelling argument!

Top Bottom