• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2014 (Aug 18 - Aug 24)

The name is reminiscent of when Apple did that "the new iPad" thing, before they dropped it because it was confusing and didn't make sense when they released another one later.

I guess this is their half-measure between releasing a full-blown new system, and sticking with the current system.

The question is really are these features in relevant dimensions that consumers [who aren't currently buying the system] care about. Features aren't necessarily value.

Well if it is at the same prices, I expect a lot of upgrades.

Here it is:

xgyLTuY.png

KfbmGec.png

Price cut incoming.

Well if it is at the same prices, I expect a lot of upgrades.
Do you mean people who currently own one replacing their current one? (As opposed to new consumers who will simply opt for these models instead of the older models.)

I can see that occurring, but then I think the same has occurred with past revisions as well. If there ends up being a slew of exclusive software for it then I could see a greater transition.

I think this style of upgrade has a lot of people on here excited for it, it has native dual analogue for one thing, something that's been asked about for eons. But those consumers that have shifted as part of the systemic decline occurring, I can't really see this drawing them back in any way.

I'm also not entirely convinced as yet though that a dedicated game device line can emulate the model used by more utilitarian smartdevices and have a large mass of their current userbase jump onto an incremental upgrade.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Here it is:

xgyLTuY.png

KfbmGec.png

Price cut incoming.

Thanks you very much, I wanted to see the before taxes prices for an accurate comparison

Difference between 3DS and New 3DS - 1,714
Difference between 3DS XL and New 3D XL - 800

Yeah, I suppose we'll get a price cut for old models too.

BadWolf

Interesting move by Nintendo with going for the cellphone model of an update over completely new hardware, looking forward to seeing how it works out.

Not like they were going to in the first place but its also interesting how Sony has no reason to release a successor for the Vita any time soon.

Nibel

Finally something to look forward to other than just software; "new" hardware is always a dozen times more exciting.

Also, what do you think of Nintendos move to allow different themes + different cases? Is this another adaption of a smartphone-standard? Not sure how important hardware customization is in Japan.

Interesting move by Nintendo with going for the cellphone model of an update over completely new hardware, looking forward to seeing how it works out.

Not like they were going to in the first place but its also interesting how Sony has no reason to release a successor for the Vita any time soon.

Not like they had one to release one ever.

No one said... Yo-kai Watch Amiibo? This could be huge.

Old models will be discontinued, this isn't even a question.

OG 3DS quite soon since it's been selling like shit since a year or so, but I can see XL lasting a bit more in stores. It all depends how much the New versions will cannibalize sales.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Well Mpl was right (new model, NFC support), but without them shipping it to the rest of the world this year, that forecast still seems high.

Just for the sake of it, I found my prediction about it, from NPD June thread

The one coming this Fall.

Nintendo 3DS Advance.
Better tech than normal 3DS, not that far from Vita's specs
NFC button integrated
Possibility to be used as a Wii U controller as well
Design being more reminiscent of DS Lite era
Around 4 inches top screen
Two colours at launch: Blue Sky, White Ice
169.99, OG goes to 129.99 and 2DS goes to 99.99
Launched with SSB in the West, MH in Japan

Yeah, in the case it's announced, I just want to see how much of this will be correct. Ready to be wrong on all fronts, though, first the fact there won't be a new 3DS revision :lol

Eh. Some good guesses, some bad guesses (mainly, no 2014 launch for the West), after all :p

Road

I'm curious on whether this model is more expensive to make -- upon first impression, I'd say yes (since it improves and includes new pieces); and its impact on Nintendo's negative operating income -- not positive. Possibly modeled with strong Amiibo sales.

Or maybe this model will comes without a battery, to be sold separately for $20.

It's also interesting that it will miss the holiday season in the West.

I'm curious on whether this model is more expensive to make -- upon first impression, I'd say yes (since it improves and includes new pieces); and its impact on Nintendo's negative operating income -- not positive. Possibly modeled with strong Amiibo sales.

Or maybe this model will comes without a battery, to be sold separately for $20.

It might be slightly more expensive to produce, but it's not such a huge gap with respect to previous models. I guess they will try to offset likely lower margins through the sale of accessories; e.g. covers.

BriBri

New 3DS screen size will be 3.88 inches as opposed to 3.53 inches for original 3DS thus an expense there. LL/XL screen size unchanged.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

If for some reason GB Color and DSi never existed Nintendo is going for the cellphone model all the way.

BadWolf

If for some reason GB Color and DSi never existed Nintendo is going for the cellphone model all the way.

Did they go for the big software push for those as well like with this new 3DS?

They seem to be focusing on games not possible (or not coming to anyway) on the old models with the new 3DS. Not to mention the hardware update that effects gameplay/control (with the second stick) etc.

Tripon

PREDICTION LEAGUE SEPTEMBER 2014
Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Sep 1 to Sep 28):

[XBO] Hardware (25 days) - 60,000
[XBO] Dead Rising 3 (25 days) - 25,000
[3DS] Dragon Quest X (25 days) - 100,000
[PS4+PS3] Destiny (18 days) - 125,000
[3DS] Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (16 days) - 1,500,000
[WIU] Bayonetta 2 (9 days) - 75,000
[PSV+PS3] Sen no Kiseki II (4 days) - 45,000
[PSV] Danganronpa Another Episode (4 days) - 60,000
[WIU] Fatal Frame V (2 days) - 35,000

Did they go for the big software push for those as well like with this new 3DS?

They seem to be focusing on games not possible (or not coming to anyway) on the old models with the new 3DS. Not to mention the hardware update that effects gameplay/control (with the second stick) etc.

DSi had a camera and the DSiWare, so it's not something new to add features that bring exclusive games (and Xenoblade is not exclusive to New 3DS, being on Wii) and gameplay solutions. Second stick is available as a peripheral for both 3DS and 3DS XL.

BadWolf

DSi had a camera and the DSiWare, so it's not something new to add features that bring exclusive games (and Xenoblade is not exclusive to New 3DS, being on Wii) and gameplay solutions. Second stick is available as a peripheral for both 3DS and 3DS XL.

Not really the same thing when the new big games like Mario etc. could very well be exclusive to the new system.

Oh well, maybe its just me. Kind of seeing the new 3DS as a 3DS.5 right now. Which is far different to how the DS and DSi looked to me.

random25

[XBO] Hardware (25 days) - 60,000
[XBO] Dead Rising 3 (25 days) - 100,000
[PS4+PS3] Destiny (18 days) - 110,000
[3DS] Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (16 days) - 1,700,000
[WIU] Bayonetta 2 (9 days) - 80,000
[PSV+PS3] Sen no Kiseki II (4 days) - 50,000
[WIU] Fatal Frame V (2 days) - 50,000

Not really the same thing when the new big games like Mario etc. could very well be exclusive to the new system.

Oh well, maybe its just me. Kind of seeing the new 3DS as a 3DS.5 right now. Which is far different to how the DS and DSi looked to me.

Uh? The only New 3DS "exclusive" game they announced is Xenoblade, a porting of a 2009 Wii game. We don't have any clue whether Nintendo is going to develop big exclusive games, but I guess they're not, at least initially, since it'd be incredibly stupid to avoid a +16m installed base (talking about JP).

BadWolf

Uh? The only New 3DS "exclusive" game they announced is Xenoblade, a porting of a 2009 Wii game. We don't have any clue whether Nintendo is going to develop big exclusive games, but I guess they're not, at least initially, since it'd be incredibly stupid to avoid a +16m installed base (talking about JP).

Didn't they also announce that new software is in development that will be exclusive to the new hardware?

If Nintendo themselves don't make a push in that direction then pretty much no else will and this added power and whatnot will be nothing but a waste of money when it comes to gaming.

jakncoke

Banned
[XBO] Hardware (25 days) - 300,000
[XBO] Dead Rising 3 (25 days) - 100,000
[PS4+PS3] Destiny (18 days) - 110,000
[3DS] Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (16 days) - 1,700,000
[WIU] Bayonetta 2 (9 days) - 80,000
[PSV+PS3] Sen no Kiseki II (4 days) - 50,000
[WIU] Fatal Frame V (2 days) - 50,000

for retrospect 300k is like 75% of the ltd of the og xbox and it took the 360 57 weeks on famitsu data and 60 for MC

Takao

Banned
This is so overused, but I can't resist, sorry

Are you ok, Takao? Post if you are okay.

Meh, you get low retailer support after you stuff them with overshipped games. It was going to catch up with them. Not doing a magazine tie-in manga probably didn't help either.

[XBO] Hardware (25 days) - 55000
[XBO] Dead Rising 3 (25 days) - 19000
[3DS] Dragon Quest X (25 days) - 80000
[PS4+PS3] Destiny (18 days) - 149000
[3DS] Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (16 days) - 1250000
[WIU] Bayonetta 2 (9 days) - 67000
[PSV+PS3] Sen no Kiseki II (4 days) - 51000
[PSV] Danganronpa Another Episode (4 days) - 50000
[WIU] Fatal Frame V (2 days) - 21000

Eolz

PREDICTION LEAGUE SEPTEMBER 2014

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Sep 1 to Sep 28):

[XBO] Hardware (25 days) - 81,000
[XBO] Dead Rising 3 (25 days) - 33,000
[3DS] Dragon Quest X (25 days) - 96,000
[PS4+PS3] Destiny (18 days) - 117,000
[3DS] Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (16 days) - 1,450,000
[WIU] Bayonetta 2 (9 days) - 66,600
[PSV+PS3] Sen no Kiseki II (4 days) - 42,000
[PSV] Danganronpa Another Episode (4 days) - 49,000
[WIU] Fatal Frame V (2 days) - 28,000

DrWong

[XBO] Hardware (25 days) - 62K
[XBO] Dead Rising 3 (25 days) - 25K
[3DS] Dragon Quest X (25 days) - 187K
[PS4+PS3] Destiny (18 days) - 151K
[3DS] Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (16 days) - 1370K
[WIU] Bayonetta 2 (9 days) - 68K
[PSV+PS3] Sen no Kiseki II (4 days) - 83K
[PSV] Danganronpa Another Episode (4 days) - 41K
[WIU] Fatal Frame V (2 days) - 30K

[XBO] Hardware (25 days) - 72,000
[XBO] Dead Rising 3 (25 days) - 20,000
[3DS] Dragon Quest X (25 days) - 112,000
[PS4+PS3] Destiny (18 days) - 115,000
[3DS] Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (16 days) - 1,215,000
[WIU] Bayonetta 2 (9 days) - 49,000
[PSV+PS3] Sen no Kiseki II (4 days) - 95,000
[PSV] Danganronpa Another Episode (4 days) - 55,000
[WIU] Fatal Frame V (2 days) - 47000

Road

Comparison for the predictions:

[XBX] Hardware - 179,930 (24 days)
[360] Hardware - 94,525 (23 days)

[WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 165,288 / 1,247,632 (18 days)

[PS4] Watch Dogs - 5,054 / 82,373 (18 days)
[PS3] Watch Dogs - 8,382 / 62,119 (18 days)

[PS3] Bayonetta - 29,120 / 167,550 (11 days)
[360] Bayonetta - 12,232 / 78,443 (11 days)

[PSV] The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki - 93,674 / 93,674 (4 days)
[PS3] The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki - 71,868 / 71,868 (4 days)

[PSP] Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - 34,583 / 34,583 (4 days)
[PSP] Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - 59,112 / 59,112 (4 days)
[PSV] DanganRonpa 1-2 Reload - 70,803 / 70,803 (4 days)

[PS2] Fatal Frame - 21,770 / 21,770 (4 days)
[XBX] Fatal Frame - 2,481 / 2,481 (4 days)
[PS2] Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly - 42,006 / 42,006 (4 days)
[PS2] Fatal Frame III: The Tormented - 46,671 / 46,671 (4 days)
[WII] Fatal Frame: Tsukihami no Kamen - 29,869 / 29,869 (4 days)
[WII] Fatal Frame II: Wii Edition - 24,804 / 24,804 (4 days)

----------------------------------------------

Regarding exclusive support for the New 3DS. DSi didn't get much at all, to be honest.

As for the Game Boy Color

Launch: October 1998
First exclusive game: Top Gear Pocket - April 1999
First exclusive from Nintendo: Mario Golf GB - August 1999
Biggest GBC exclusive
Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters IV. Nope, not Pokémon Crystal, at least in Japan. =P Both were released in December 2000.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Also did I see in the Bravely Second trailer that it's releasing this Winter? Hopefully that means early next year, because this year is kind of packed....

So we have:
DQX - 9/4
Smash Bros. 3DS - Sep.
new 3DS/XL model - 10/11 (+Xenoblade?)
MH4U - 10/11
Pokemon ORAS - Nov.
FF: Explorers - 12/18

So I guess we won't be seeing the next Nintendo handheld in 2015, it will probably be announced at E3 2016 and released later in that same year.

I wonder what Capcom has in store for MH in 2015.

rise vita rise

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Vita is a little above 3M LTD in Japan. The new 3DS models might blow past that in 6 months.

Um how? Up until this point, the 3DS was tracking for a bit less than 3M in Japan for the year. It'll at least take a year for this model to hit 3M, unless sales pick up dramatically starting with its release.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Vita is a little above 3M LTD in Japan. The new 3DS models might blow past that in 6 months.

With what exclusive software? Xenoblade? Are people already forgetting how the OG 3DS sold when it had no games? Shiny hardware alone doesn't make sales. They need a compelling title to go along with the release to get people to dump their current 3DS for a new one. As of right now, I don't see it selling gangbusters from the jump. Maybe if they made a Youkai Watch 3 or something.

Top Bottom