• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2013 (Sep 02 - Sep 08)

Why are we expecting the Vita revision to do anything at all? It's essentially the same price for something that's arguably not as good. The colours may get a few extra buyers in, but I don't see it moving the needle much at all.

Well, there are two Vita revisions...the Vita TV (because of it's super-cheap price point) might help the Vita a good bit.

Frodo

Wii U will probably sell ~700k this year, putting it at ~1.2m, if it continues this year's sales trend for the next 4 years and keeps selling 700k on average. It will sell ~4m units by the end of it's life. That is gamecube numbers (4.04 Million according to the wiki) So no, it's not really best case that it sells Gamecube numbers, it's if things don't improve at all.

Oh! I meant Gamecube global numbers. Sorry, I should have mentioned, since this is a Japanese sales thread. Something about >20 millions.

Nibel

Well, there are two Vita revisions...the Vita TV (because of it's super-cheap price point) might help the Vita a good bit.

I'm not quite sure what Vita TV will do in handheld-country

I get the impression Japanese people avoid the TV more and more

zroid

Banned
so next week we'll get 2 days worth of MH4 sales?

tumblr_ku2pvuJkJG1qz9qooo1_r1_400.gif

kswiston

So much for Pikmin 3 providing an improved baseline for the Wii U!

Next up, Windwaker HD

Horrible sales for the Vita too. If the new 2000 model and Vita TV don't lead to a more permanent increase, the system is going to have trouble even matching Saturn levels in Japan.

Gamerloid

3DS just won't stop! It's set to set the charts ablaze when Pokemon is out. I wonder how Killzone will sell elsewhere considering Killzone Shadow Fall is a few months away.

Why are we expecting the Vita revision to do anything at all? It's essentially the same price for something that's arguably not as good. The colours may get a few extra buyers in, but I don't see it moving the needle much at all.
It won't with that release date. It'll just be the Vita looking through that window as everyone is playing Pokemon and then Monster Hunter IV.

I'm wondering how this'll do in the end.

I have no desire for a Vita, but the Vita TV interests me a lot. The price is right at my impulse buy territory and then I can just use it to download PSP games I never got to play.

It's probably my favorite thing they've done Vita-wise for me since it was announced.

Looking at the crude Google Translated user reviews on Amazon, it looks like the low Jojo ratings are driven by something related to microtransactions. People are even calling it a scam outright.

Anyone able to read Japanese? :p

So much for Pikmin 3 providing an improved baseline for the Wii U!

Next up, Windwaker HD

Horrible sales for the Vita too. If the new 2000 model and Vita TV don't lead to a more permanent increase, the system is going to have trouble even matching Saturn levels in Japan.

If PS4 fails to gain ground in Japan it makes Nintendos next homeconsole VERY interesting to see. They made Wii U with japanese design choises in mind and it bombed. If ''relatively cheap'' and powerful PS4 with western approach fails too where does that lead the home console market in Japan?

Thanks, the WiiU is around 26.000 Yen right ?. That could be extremely difficult to market to the Japanese now that they are obsessed with handhelds.

I hope Sony have some big name Japanese focused franchises ready for launch.

PS4 will be like PS3. Sequels to the same games = same audience bying the console. Starts slow but picks up later. Of course as the WiiU will never ever match Wii the home console market as a whole will decline by quite bit.

Lexxism

If PS4 fails to gain ground in Japan it makes Nintendos next homeconsole VERY interesting to see. They made Wii U with japanese design choises in mind and it bombed. If ''relatively cheap'' and powerful PS4 with western approach fails too where does that lead the home console market in Japan?

It's gone. It's all about smartphones and handhelds in Japan.

Cbajd5

Looking at the crude Google Translated user reviews on Amazon, it looks like the low Jojo ratings are driven by something related to microtransactions. People are even calling it a scam outright.

Anyone able to read Japanese? :p
I don't, but it's related to the game's Campaign Mode.

Basically you have a battery with 10 bars that refills one bar every 5 minutes while in Campaign Mode or every 20 minutes outside of it. You spend one bare for every fight you play, and there's bosses to beat that require multiple fights and/or using more bars of energy so they take more damage. There's also random events, some that use energy too.

This mode needs to be played to unlock alt costumes/colors/quotes/poses and the bosses hold most if them.

You can buy battery refills and consumable special items to find bosses more easily through the PSN.

BadWolf

Basically you have a battery with 10 bars that refills one bar every 5 minutes while in Campaign Mode or every 20 minutes outside of it. You spend one bare for every fight you play, and there's bosses to beat that require multiple fights and/or using more bars of energy so they take more damage. There's also random events, some that use energy too.

This mode needs to be played to unlock alt costumes/colors/quotes/poses and the bosses hold most if them.

You can buy battery refills and consumable special items to find bosses more easily through the PSN.

They had the balls to put this in a retail game? Wow.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I really think tht PS4 will be the only console able to repeat its predecessor's HW LTD numbers

market is smaller, portable side is strong, economy is weaker

but

price is lower from the beginning
interest in PS3 increased (at least in terms of market share) in the past years
ps4 really seems the direct sequel to that kind of audience/lilneup (look at gundam, dinsaty warriors, yakuza, ff already announced)
interest in some kind of game seems to be back to the home market rather than portable (Tales of, KH...)
competitors are weaker (no Wii-fever this time around!)

zroid

Banned

holy shit that is bad

people in the OT must be livid?

It feels like the home console market doesn't "need" to exist in Japan anymore.

Most non-major Japanese publishers have switched to handheld titles...those are the ones selling. The most anticipated games in Japan are Monster Hunter 4 and Pokemon X / Y...both 3DS games.

Console games for the PS3 still very much exist, but there is no need (like there was no need back in 2007 for PS2) to suddenly jump platforms to the PS4.

The million dollar question is if Japan ever DOES make that leap. Unlike 2007, we have mobile and tablet gaming now to complement handhelds...and unlike 2007, graphical expectations for new console platforms keep rising...whereas handhelds / mobile games can accept any type of graphical prowess.

It's a very strange paradigm shift. I've spent a lot of time in Japan, and if the PS4 doesn't make any headway in Japan, I won't be sad or even bothered in the slightest. The market has shifted so much that I'm not yearning for Japanese console games anymore...I'm very happy playing games on my Android, PS3, 3DS and probably Vita as well. To me, that's perfectly adequate as the "8th gen." I don't have any desire for anything more flashy or complex.

Wow, that's incredible. So it's essentially a full price freemium game if I understood correctly. This sort of stuff is what's wrecking this industry, truly an unbelievable amount of greed.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I honestly thought I was still reading the Agito thread until I hit "PSN" and then did three doubletakes.

Are you fucking serious? They used such blatant F2P tactics for the goddamn single-player campaign in a $60 RETAIL RELEASE? And they try to rope you into paying for that shit just to get new colors and quotes!?

That's just...barbaric. Now I see why they're so upset--I'd be pissed too. Thanks for clarifying.

I agree.

Previously, Nintendo consoles used to be a hit among both casual/hardcore crowd. It was specially seen in the Wii/DS era with games like Brain Age,Nintendo Dogs, Wii Fit and Wii Sports. Now casual audience has moved on to smart phones while hardcore audience seems to have lost interest after such a lackluster launch and support from Nintendo.

Good point.

Code:
DS	2005-12-29	Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day	Nintendo	5,060,499
DS	2005-05-19	Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day	Nintendo	3,829,480
DS	2006-01-26	English Training: Have Fun Improving Your Skills	Nintendo	2,203,669
DS	2005-04-21	Nintendogs (Labrador, Dachshund, Chihuahua)	Nintendo	2,037,232
DS	2008-07-31	Rhythm Tengoku Gold	Nintendo	1,869,103
DS	2006-10-26	General Knowledge Training (Kanshuu Nippon Joushikiryoku Kentei Kyoukai: Imasara Hito ni wa Kikenai Otona no Joushikiryoku Training DS)	Nintendo	1,569,882
DS	2006-11-22	Oshare Majo Love & Berry - DS Collection	Sega	1,039,669
DS	2006-07-20	Cooking Navi	Nintendo	958,168
DS	2007-05-31	Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day	Nintendo	945,791
DS	2008-10-23	Wagamama Fashion: Girls Mode	Nintendo	891,076
DS	2007-03-29	Eigo ga Nigate na Otona no DS Training: Motto Eigo Duke	Nintendo	753,107
DS	2006-09-28	Zaidan Houjin Nippon Kanji Nouryoku Kentei Kyoukai Kounin: Kanken DS	Rocket Company	621,885
DS	2008-03-13	Beautiful Letter Training	Nintendo	579,462
DS	2006-11-09	Zaidan Houjin Nippon Kanji Nouryoku Kentei Kyoukai Koushiki Soft: 200 Mannin no KanKen: Tokoton Kanji Nou	IE Institute	571,715
DS	2006-12-07	Kenkou Ouen Recipe 1000: DS Kondate Zenshuu	Nintendo	431,003

These casual/educational games were some of the best selling games on the DS, and so far the 3DS doesn't really have anything quite like them. The only games that sells on the 3DS are core games.

Jamix012

I really think tht PS4 will be the only console able to repeat its predecessor's HW LTD numbers

market is smaller, portable side is strong, economy is weaker

but

price is lower from the beginning
interest in PS3 increased (at least in terms of market share) in the past years
ps4 really seems the direct sequel to that kind of audience/lilneup (look at gundam, dinsaty warriors, yakuza, ff already announced)
interest in some kind of game seems to be back to the home market rather than portable (Tales of, KH...)
competitors are weaker (no Wii-fever this time around!)

On the other hand you've also got
- No backwards compatitability
- No new optical format to drive it
- Rise of smart phones
- Handhelds are closer substitutes than ever before
- Not launching during a holiday
- A lot of big franchises seem to be westernising
- A large amount of games are cross generational
- PS Brand is a lot weaker than it was at the launch of PS3 (the PSP and PS2 were on the market, now it's the PS3 and Vita.)

I honestly still see the Wii U winning Japan. Worldwide is obviously a completely different story, but the Japanese console market is dead IMO.

Wii U (5.054) and just one title (Pikmin 3 - 2.852) in the top 30.

So much for that Wii U momentum that according to Iwata would start with the release of Pikmin 3.

Nice try with the troll post. I never post in these threads, because I find them unbearable, but I'll address this. Iwata said that he expected the 3DS to lead Nintendo's drive in 2013. The Wii U can expect to have better and sustained momentum by the end of 2014; At this point, one could say that they are restarting its engine, and later on, it would shift through its gears. Although announced, the official price cut hasn't come into play (it will do later in the month), while certain titles aren't out for it yet. It is surely common sense to wait for it, if you're considering one at this time, and it isn't unthinkable that once these things happen, the numbers will improve a little. The games are coming, too, and that is what will help the most. It hasn't played all of its cards yet. One could single out the Vita, too, and I will, but not in fanboyish spirit - In that case, new models were announced; It isn't unthinkable that people are also waiting for these. In both cases, perhaps the same will be true Worldwide.

Furthermore, IIRC, Pikmin is a series which typically does better outside of Japan, and there are some promising signs. It contributed in more ways then some would care to recognise - In my neck of the woods, we saw Disney Infinity and Splinter Cell chart at #1 and #3 in the Wii U charts, while Rayman Legends is selling better on the Wii U. So, here, you can see a case of software selling hardware, THEN other parties starting to benefit more from it. The Wii U doesn't need 'saving' - this is extremely premature, rotten, fanboyish trolling, and NeoGAF would do well to stop thinking of this in terms of "Which game will help?". That has NEVER been Nintendo's aim, and few people, especially in this climate, would buy a new console for just the one game. They said themselves that they'll try to build a library of games. Still, to claim Doom is to be completely ignorant of their 'Evergreen' approach, an approach adopted by them a lot more since the Wii and DS era. 'Industry analysts' are being dumb and horribly short-sighted with their Doom Narrative. It's tiresome and pathetic, ESPECIALLY when they are seemingly unaware of this. The Wii U will be around for quite a while; it is better to come back when the 9th Generation consoles launch, and after all of its cards have been played. I feel that this is the most reasonable position.

Pikmin 3 alone won't sustain momentum. It is more appropriate to look at it in terms of "How many games are there which I want to play?" - So, by the time LOZ: Wind Waker HD, Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Sonic Lost World, Mario & Sonic At The Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games, Wii Party U, Wii Fit U, then in 2014, Bayonetta 2, X, Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 8, people will see that it has a great library. Also, they might see Disney Infinity, Rayman Legends, Assassin's Creed 4, COD: Ghosts, Batman: Arkham Origins, Watch_Dogs, Just Dance 2014, and, of course, New Super Mario Bros. U (an important Evergreen title), or bite when unannounced titles are announced. Clearly, that post is an example of trolling, or one that doesn't know what 'momentum' is, or both - 'Momentum' usually starts slowly, then builds to a steady pace, or a crescendo; it isn't "hitting the ground running". Even in the event that one "hits the ground running", the 'runner' had to build up to that point.

What did the wii U do to target the Japanese market? It's underpowered, over-priced, has poor brand recognition and has one of the most barren software line-ups we have ever seen at this point in a generation.

The wii U was made with nothing in mind and it is rightfully bombing everywhere. It's success or lack thereof really doesn't tell us all that much.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It's good to see that JoJo's sales went so down as word of the bullshit practises spread. Japanese gamers reacted as they had to.

saichi

You do realize that it is on PC as well and who knows, the numbers on PC might be a lot better than PS3. They are already facing issues with server due to the high load and the overall reception of the game has been positive so far minus the server woes, so word of mouth should be positive.

That just sounds like PR excuse for SE. The game already had a failed launch once and it certainly can not fail again publicly. How would people have good reception of the game if they can't even login and play the game?

Released 1st party support is just as bad IMO. That is the reason why some people are still waiting before calling it another Gamecube (which sold 4M in japan) I have no idea how it will sell, but it probably won't average 50k or 2.6m a year without some real changes to their strategies there.

That's a really high bar for console in Japan right now.

massoluk

Banned
Man, the PokeMonHun Armegeddon should be fun. May be it's good to release Vita before this extinction level event, because god knows you wouldn't want to release right in the middle of it.

edit: Wow, Jojo campaign sounds awful

saichi

These casual/educational games were some of the best selling games on the DS, and so far the 3DS doesn't really have anything quite like them. The only games that sells on the 3DS are core games.

Well there is Run for Money although it's a licensed game.

What did the wii U do to target the Japanese market? It's underpowered, over-priced, has poor brand recognition and has one of the most barren software line-ups we have ever seen at this point in a generation.

The wii U was made with nothing in mind and it is rightfully bombing everywhere. It's success or lack thereof really doesn't tell us all that much.

I understood things like off TV play, low power consumption, small console and in some ways the low graphical power are all choises that are made with japanese design choise in mind.

I don't mean that it is some perfect console for japanese tastes tho. I agree the Wii U ''plan'' is a complete disaster and Nintendo so far has no idea what to do with it and honestly I dunno if anyone does.

GetemMa

Nintendo's next piece of HW should serve as both a home console and a handheld.

A mini tablet that has real controls that slide out and an HDMI out.

That way their software teams could all concentrate on 1 device.

My only fear would be that they would try to do this themselves and the hardware would suck.

Nintendo is under the impression that sleek, somewhat pricey HW puts off casuals when the opposite is true. Nobody wants the plasticy WiiU gamepad and it isn't even cheap, it just looks cheap. (I own WiiU, spare me)

Nice try with the troll post. I never post in these threads, because I find them unbearable, but I'll address this. Iwata said that he expected the 3DS to lead Nintendo's drive in 2013. The Wii U can expect to have better and sustained momentum by the end of 2014; At this point, one could say that they are restarting its engine, and later on, it would shift through its gears. Although announced, the official price cut hasn't come into play (it will do later in the month), while certain titles aren't out for it yet. It is surely common sense to wait for it, if you're considering one at this time, and it isn't unthinkable that once these things happen, the numbers will improve a little. The games are coming, too, and that is what will help the most. It hasn't played all of its cards yet. One could single out the Vita, too, and I will, but not in fanboyish spirit - In that case, new models were announced; It isn't unthinkable that people are also waiting for these.

Furthermore, IIRC, Pikmin is a series which typically does better outside of Japan, and there are some promising signs. It contributed in more ways then some would care to recognise - In my neck of the woods, we saw Disney Infinity and Splinter Cell chart at #1 and #3 in the Wii U charts, while Rayman Legends is selling better on the Wii U. So, here, you can see a case of software selling hardware, THEN other parties starting to benefit more from it. The Wii U doesn't need 'saving' - this is extremely premature, rotten, fanboyish trolling, and NeoGAF would do well to stop thinking of this in terms of "Which game will help?". That has NEVER been Nintendo's aim, and few people, especially in this climate, would buy a new console for just the one game. They said themselves that they'll try to build a library of games. Still, to claim Doom is to be completely ignorant of their 'Evergreen' approach, an approach adopted by them a lot more since the Wii and DS era. 'Industry analysts' are being dumb and horribly short-sighted with their Doom Narrative. It's tiresome and pathetic, ESPECIALLY when they are seemingly unaware of this. The Wii U will be around for quite a while; it is better to come back when the 9th Generation consoles launch, and after all of its cards have been played. I feel that this is the most reasonable position.

Pikmin 3 alone won't sustain momentum. It is more appropriate to look at it in terms of "How many games are there which I want to play?" - So, by the time LOZ: Wind Waker HD, Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Sonic Lost World, Mario & Sonic At The Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games, Wii Party U, Wii Fit U, then in 2014, Bayonetta 2, X, Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 8, people will see that it has a great library. Also, they might see Disney Infinity, Rayman Legends, Assassin's Creed 4, COD: Ghosts, Batman: Arkham Origins, Watch_Dogs, Just Dance 2014, and, of course, New Super Mario Bros. U (an important Evergreen title), or bite when unannounced titles are announced. Clearly, that post is an example of trolling, or one that doesn't know what 'momentum' is, or both - 'Momentum' usually starts slowly, then builds to a steady pace, or a crescendo; it isn't "hitting the ground running". Even in the event that one "hits the ground running", the 'runner' had to build up to that point.
This is a whole lot of words to counter a post that took ten seconds to write.

Also, while we're all understandably hype about next week's numbers, isn't it a bit of a stretch to call this week's 3DS sales godlike?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
On the other hand you've also got
- No backwards compatitability
- No new optical format to drive it
- Rise of smart phones
- Handhelds are closer substitutes than ever before
- Not launching during a holiday
- A lot of big franchises seem to be westernising
- A large amount of games are cross generational
- PS Brand is a lot weaker than it was at the launch of PS3 (the PSP and PS2 were on the market, now it's the PS3 and Vita.)

I honestly still see the Wii U winning Japan. Worldwide is obviously a completely different story, but the Japanese console market is dead IMO.

Don't want to argue with your points, but those will lead into a console leader for the home market even weaker than the previous.
But the previious was the Wii, that is now at 12.7 millions sold (more or less), while I was saying that probably PS4 will be able to repeat PS3 numbers, that are now at 9.5 millions

So, basically I think that PS4 will be able to repeat PS3 numbers, but that means that the home market leader will be even weaker than this (Wii) generation

About the bolded part...no.
Seriously. Wii U (and I have one, I like Nintenod games, and I like the Gamepad, so please note that I'm not trolling at all) must fight to survive (to not be discountinued too early, to not be a too big financial loss for the company, to repeat - AT BEST - the GC HW Ltd numbers and so on)

they're unannounced, but we know they're coming based on statements from Iwata; the DS analogy is me just parroting him. I expect we'll see retail efforts, along with outside-the-box apps and features that make creative use of the Gamepad. Of course things don't look good for the console now, but combine a surprise hit with games like Mario Kart, Zelda, X, Mario, Donkey Kong, etc and they could pick up some steam.

The Wii U itself was another blue ocean attempt and it failed, releasing a few apps that make creative use of the gamepad won't change its fate because the appeal for the base product isn't there. The console doesn't have its Nintendogs or Wii Sports and I doubt it will ever have, its hope lies within sequels of previous blue ocean products(fitness, party games) and Mario games.

Nintendo's next piece of HW should serve as both a home console and a handheld.

A mini tablet that has real controls that slide out and an HDMI out.

That way their software teams could all concentrate on 1 device.

My only fear would be that they would try to do this themselves and the hardware would suck.

Nintendo is under the impression that sleek, somewhat pricey HW puts off casuals when the opposite is true. Nobody wants the plasticy WiiU gamepad and it isn't even cheap, it just looks cheap. (I own WiiU, spare me)

I think they will do something similar to Vita TV rather than a tablet console or whatever crazy like that. IF the hybrid approach happens at all that is.

I do think they will do another home console and depending on that they ditch the market or do another Wii craze.

I will get a brain aneurysm if I see another mention of the Nintendo hybrid.

Oh so it's not only me.

But really, I've gone at length a few times before, and I think the hybrid idea is possibly the worst possible way to react to their current ordeals. It is downright suicidal and I'm surprised many people are suggesting it.

Top Bottom