• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2013 (Sep 02 - Sep 08)

Kikujiro

Nice try with the troll post. I never post in these threads, because I find them unbearable, but I'll address this. Iwata said that he expected the 3DS to lead Nintendo's drive in 2013.

<cut>

Wow, you should never post in these threads because you take things way too seriously and personally, do you work for Nintendo? All these harsh words to address an innocuous ironic comment.

Edit: Oh and I'm happy to see JoJo's failing, NB thinks they can get away with their shitty practices.

I understood things like off TV play, low power consumption, small console and in some ways the low graphical power are all choises that are made with japanese design choise in mind.

I don't mean that it is some perfect console for japanese tastes tho. I agree the Wii U ''plan'' is a complete disaster and Nintendo so far has no idea what to do with it and honestly I dunno if anyone does.

Well for a start if you're going to come to the market with a weaker console you have to target a lower price range. Beyond that you have to make sure you have some games ready to go when you launch and not have gaps of whole months without anything launching.

The home console market may be shrinking rapidly but i'm sure nintendo could have done a hell of a lot better.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I will get a brain aneurysm if I see another mention of the Nintendo hybrid.

Oh so it's not only me.

Honestly, me too, but...
but.
I didn't see it mentioned as a trol-driven post, and the actual situation (not only the Wii U struggles, but the competitors moves in this way as VitaTv, the clear separation between western and japanes market in terms of portable and home preferences, the Nintendo moves to unify portable and home development tools, the Wii U itself with its conception and so on) could lead into that direction for real

the only thing is that it is mentioned in a too simplicistic way (it would be an earthquake for the Nintendo Group, and it would be serious also for us gamers because of the obvious lack of specific development both for HW and SW)

I agree.

Previously, Nintendo consoles used to be a hit among both casual/hardcore crowd. It was specially seen in the Wii/DS era with games like Brain Age,Nintendo Dogs, Wii Fit and Wii Sports. Now casual audience has moved on to smart phones while hardcore audience seems to have lost interest after such a lackluster launch and support from Nintendo.

Can you really generalize 250 million people like that though ?. Now I agree with your general point, the smart phone / tablet market has had a significant effect on Nintendo but I see many people using that as an easy way to explain the failure (at first) of 3DS and the current WiiU failure.

The reality of the Nintendo home console business is that older Nintendo fans buy it to play 2D Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong and 3D Mario. Newer fans will become interested when the likes of Wii U Fit, Play and Wii Sports 2 are released along with some of those I listed above.

So far the WiiU has only had one of those seven titles release (NSMB U), so it's no surprise that it's sales are pretty bad. This Winter it will get another five of those games with a sixth arriving in Spring, marketing should also drastically improve.

Although the WiiU is a disaster I think some are far to quick to write it off as a complete and utter Virtual Boy like failure before even it's 'killer apps' are released.

People made the same mistake with 3DS and that's about to go above the Wii in lifetime sales. I'm not saying WiiU is going to start selling 100 000 console per week but it's not out of the realm of possibility that it could start selling 20 000 per week once the exclusive games people tend to buy Nintendo platforms for start arriving this Winter.

tuffy

The Wii U itself was another blue ocean attempt and it failed, releasing a few apps that make creative use of the gamepad won't change its fate because the appeal for the base product isn't there. The console doesn't have its Nintendogs or Wii Sports and I doubt it will ever have, its hope lies within sequels of previous blue ocean products(fitness, party games) and Mario games.
I don't see how it's much of a blue ocean attempt at all. Nintendo Land is about the closest thing to software aimed at a wider audience, and that's wrapped up pretty heavily in traditional Nintendo title aesthetics. Most everything else has been either franchise titles (Pikmin 3) or niche (Wonderful 101). It seems like the whole strategy of targeting hardware and software to non-gamers with accessible new IPs has been largely abandoned for whatever reason.

Nintendo is fortunate that it is the Wii brand name that has been damaged and not the Nintendo brand in general. Their next console should be entirely divorced from that label.

This is a whole lot of words to counter a post that took ten seconds to write.

Also, while we're all understandably hype about next week's numbers, isn't it a bit of a stretch to call this week's 3DS sales godlike?

My posts are typically 'lengthy' for some, but I don't apologise for it.

If your primary contribution is to complain about the length of my post, then I'm not here for that - I could've quoted more of the same, but just one was enough. I made some fair and valid points, which if read and understood, would hopefully encourage more sensible assessment than 'Bomba this' and 'Doomed that' - Well, something beyond this desire for Wii U death, for Nintendo Death. It's vile, and I have never understood it. I have also never understood how sales could make anybody enjoy the games they play even more or less.

I never said that 3DS numbers were God-like. Others might have, but we have seen better. It would be more accurate to say that its numbers are all the more remarkable, considering the undeniable popularity of tablets and smartphones. Perhaps Nintendo themselves can take heart and encouragement from them, and they still have the 2DS to come, too. Certainly, everything is possible.

mclem

Oh so it's not only me.

But really, I've gone at length a few times before, and I think the hybrid idea is possibly the worst possible way to react to their current ordeals. It is downright suicidal and I'm surprised many people are suggesting it.

I cannot see a way for Nintendo, with the resources they have available, to sustain two modern software production workflows to supply two independent systems with sufficient content.

Is there something I'm missing? I see unification as the only realistic solution.

Shu's response to Puppeteer and Killzone poor sales
https://twitter.com/yosp/status/377795309994524672

"It's no use just making good games like Killzone and Puppeteer"...

What does he expect? We're talking about a Western-oriented game developed by Guerilla Cambridge specifically for fans of a Western series.

And Puppeteer reminds me of a Western fairy tale. It may have been made by SCE Japan Studio, but that doesn't mean it's the right fit for Japanese audiences...it feels too much like a passion project by Sony and not enough of a title that's oriented to make money.

kswiston

Can you really generalize 250 million people like that though ?. Now I agree with your general point, the smart phone / tablet market has had a significant effect on Nintendo but I see many people using that as an easy way to explain the failure (at first) of 3DS and the current WiiU failure.

The reality of the Nintendo home console business is that older Nintendo fans buy it to play 2D Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong and 3D Mario. Newer fans will become interested when the likes of Wii U Fit, Play and Wii Sports 2 are released along with some of those I listed above.

So far the WiiU has only had one of those seven titles release (NSMB U), so it's no surprise that it's sales are pretty bad. This Winter it will get another five of those games with a sixth arriving in Spring, marketing should also drastically improve.

Although the WiiU is a disaster I think some are far to quick to write it off as a complete and utter Virtual Boy like failure before even it's 'killer apps' are released.

People made the same mistake with 3DS and that's about to go above the Wii in lifetime sales. I'm not saying WiiU is going to start selling 100 000 console per week but it's not out of the realm of possibility that it could start selling 20 000 per week once the exclusive games people tend to buy Nintendo platforms for start arriving this Winter.

Wii U might turn around some when Mario Kart, Smash, and 3D World are released, but I think that Wii Fit U and Wii Party U are going to end up in the same boat as Nintendogs and Brain Age. Nintendoland is exactly the type of game that would have sold 1.5M+ copies as a standalone on the Wii.

jwhit28

I cannot see a way for Nintendo, with the resources they have available, to sustain two modern software production workflows to supply two independent systems with sufficient content.

Is there something I'm missing? I see unification as the only realistic solution.

The reason I've seen given for the long Wii U drought was the late finalization of the Wii U hardware. Putting all of your bets on one horse is bad for any business.

tuffy

Wii U might turn around some when Mario Kart, Smash, and 3D World are released, but I think that Wii Fit U and Wii Party U are going to end up in the same boat as Nintendogs and Brain Age. Nintendoland is exactly the type of game that would have sold 1.5M+ copies as a standalone on the Wii.
I'm thinking the same thing. Nintendogs is a good example. It was a huge seller when brand new, but clones saturated the market soon after and the 3DS followup didn't have any impact. Wii Fit U is going to land in a market that's had plenty of fitness game clones so I don't see it doing nearly as well as the original.

New IPs would make more of an impact, but new titles aimed at the casual audience have been in short supply.

In that case they're better of focusing on just a handheld. At least there's a market for that. A hybrid is a wholly unproven model that constitutes pouring all their eggs in one basket with the high risk of providing the worst of both worlds.

The WiiU's problems hinge more on Nintendo's lack of preparation and foresight, I think, than their inability to support two consoles, in my opinion.

Maybe Nintendo should market Wii U as a console you truly can play on the go... I mean some have done it on trains. The pad could be the golden ticket.

With Japan's handheld dominance, I feel it's the ace in the hole that Nintendo's not taking advantage of, maybe add some portable features like streetpass.

Is this feasible?

DaBoss

How did Puppeteer do just as bad as TW101 with 12x the install base?? Japan just hates new IP :-/
Japanese hate new IPs that don't appeal to them...which can be said to any territory.

New IPs that I can remember that did well:
Soul Sacrifice was a mild success.
Toukiden was a success.
Dragon's Crown was a success.
Fantasy Life was a success.
Bravely Default was a success.
Dragon's Dogma was a success.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
In that case they're better of focusing on just a handheld. At least there's a market for that. A hybrid is a wholly unproven model that constitutes pouring all their eggs in one basket with the high risk of provided the worst of both worlds.

The WiiU's problems hinge more on Nintendo's lack of preparation and foresight, I think, than their inability to support two consoles, in my opinion.

I agree.
also because they never was prepared to properly support two consoles in the modern era (afaik, after Sony and MS entered the market), but it's not that they faced many financial problems with the GC-GBA, not speaking about Wii-DS

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
In that case they're better of focusing on just a handheld. At least there's a market for that. A hybrid is a wholly unproven model that constitutes pouring all their eggs in one basket with the high risk of providing the worst of both worlds.

The solution?
Release the handheld at 199.99, and separately the device/Miracast-like thing that lets you play the handheld titles on TV using the portable system as the controller for 99.99 (with 128GB hard disk included). Let people have the choice at launch between the mere portable experience and the portable & home experience. The first Holiday after the launch, the start of console + device bundles, as new big games come out.

Akainu

Why is jojo bad? Didn't they pretty much sale everything they had?
Basically you have a battery with 10 bars that refills one bar every 5 minutes while in Campaign Mode or every 20 minutes outside of it. You spend one bare for every fight you play, and there's bosses to beat that require multiple fights and/or using more bars of energy so they take more damage. There's also random events, some that use energy too.

This mode needs to be played to unlock alt costumes/colors/quotes/poses and the bosses hold most if them.

You can buy battery refills and consumable special items to find bosses more easily through the PSN.
Sounds like what they do for the f2p games.

You wonder why everyone is bypassing a japanese launch this year? Less than 20,000 combined sales for all home consoles, that's awful.

RM8

I didn't think Puppeteer would tank this bad. But as a platformer it looks rather non-Japanese gameplay wise, if that makes any sense.

CronoShot

Poor Vita. It tried to do a 3DS-esque turn around, but to no avail. The proper killer app just isn't there. We'll see if Vita TV changes things, but it seems unlikely at this point. It makes me sad, since Iove mine.

And the 3DS is about to consume Japan whole.

That just sounds like PR excuse for SE. The game already had a failed launch once and it certainly can not fail again publicly. How would people have good reception of the game if they can't even login and play the game?

That's a really high bar for console in Japan right now.

It's an MMO, the game will live or die depending on how well it can keep those 200k Japanese players subscribed to the game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't FFXI max out at around 500k worldwide? And that was by far the most profitable game ever for Squeenix (at least at the time). If we combine Japanese sales withe worldwide sales, it wouldn't surprise me if the got pretty close to 500k copies sold. I think the fact that they were having so many server issues shows that the didn't expect as many people playing as they got, and its getting pretty good word of mouth as well. Now they just need to keep people playing...

cafemomo

Poor Vita. It tried to do a 3DS-esque turn around, but to no avail. The proper killer app just isn't there. We'll see if Vita TV changes things, but it seems unlikely at this point. It makes me sad, since Iove mine.

The Vita will thrive. Just give it a lil more time

Akainu

Didn't they just change the price a few days ago?

darkwing

lol 3DS already consumed Japan, the only question is how much more

Shu's response to Puppeteer and Killzone poor sales
https://twitter.com/yosp/status/377795309994524672

"It's no use just making good games like Killzone and Puppeteer"...
That's sad :(

Japanese hate new IPs that don't appeal to them...which can be said to any territory.

New IPs that I can remember that did well:
Soul Sacrifice was a mild success.
Toukiden was a success.
Dragon's Crown was a success.
Fantasy Life was a success.
Bravely Default was a success.
Dragon's Dogma was a success.
Soul Sacrifice was a mild success? It sold ~200k units AFAIK and if you consider Dragon's Crown and Fantasy Life as success, how is SS mild success? =/
It even has a updated release next year and a sequel is likely to hit in 2015.

Wow, you should never post in these threads because you take things way too seriously and personally, do you work for Nintendo? All these harsh words to address an innocuous ironic comment.

Edit: Oh and I'm happy to see JoJo's failing, NB thinks they can get away with their shitty practices.

See my other response. I could've quoted more of the same, but that's a chore, and it happened to be that one. The general tone was to mock and portray in the worst light - that's a form of trolling. My words weren't at all harsh, and I don't apologise for calling it what it was. I don't apologise for pointing out the poster's misunderstanding of the word "momentum". I don't apologise for raising points which weren't considered by those quick to cry failure. If they wish to engage in "Bomba/Doom/Death" posts, then they aren't actually contributing anything to the topic. How very harsh to say "let us wait until the 9th Generation starts and all cards have been played". Only on here can such a position be 'unreasonable'.

Also, I don't work for them. This is another BS. My Wii U is actually the first Nintendo home console that I've owned since the SNES. Between that, I played their consoles, but owned a PS1, PS2 and PS3, and even attended Pre-Launch tours for the Vita. So, no, that won't stick. Just because some people are in higher spirits about the Wii U, or aren't knee-jerking, it doesn't mean that they work for them. I was called 'Reggie' in another thread for having a different opinion, and subject to this type of harassment in the past. I'm not here for that. What about the people actually engaging in console war BS? Are they working for their company behind their consoles of choice? I didn't see that question being asked to others, yet I'm beaten with that stick. It's rather unfortunate. I don't wish to post anything more in this thread, so, I'll leave it here.

Top Bottom