• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 47, 2012 (Nov 19 - Nov 25)

Didn't really see this addressed, so: the studio closure situation hasn't been as bad in Japan as it has been here; while there've still been a few odd curveballs (like Flight Plan closing for a while out of nowhere) and a few tragedies (Clover), in general the Japanese industry's development and business model is all about keeping opportunity cost down, and thus keeping businesses rock-solid. I mean, hell, every indication has been that the "lower-fi" developers like Gust, NIS and Falcom, who aren't really throwing down in the HD AAA sector, are the healthy developers currently.

Really, "lower output" is just on big set-top boxes. It bears repeating: the Japanese market is becoming a very different beast compared to markets outside of it, and on the whole the market is still pretty healthy, especially in comparison to the size of the userbase (remember, Japan as a whole is getting older and the birthrate is very low). Where this really creates a problem is in export, as some kind of solution has to emerge for reconciling the handheld-centric nature of modern Japan with the still-set-top-centric nature of the rest of the world.
Ah, thanks for the reply. Though I thought even handheld game output in Japan has slowed since last gen due to rising costs? Or is that a misconception? Never really followed the Japanese market last gen.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Starting to wish Capcom was the publisher for Layton vs. Wright, when they actually promote there's definitely more awareness about their games coming out and the AA series is one they push in Japan. Level 5 has too many games coming out right now and didn't put enough behind getting the release date of this game out there.

donny2112

- donny2112 tried hard to be last again by betting 350k on Yakuza HD, though.

I usually have one or two that I'm really close on, and then majorly blow one up like that. RE6 was that way last month, I think. AC sold 600K in first three weeks on DS, but then the game went on to sell 5m. Gotta think it was going to start out heavier this time around. :p

Thanks, Road! :)

Kenka

First day sellthrough

[PS3] 2nd Super Robot Wars OG - 50-60%
[PSV] Atelier Totori Plus: The Alchemist of Arland 2 - 60%
[PSV] Fate/Stay Night -Realta Nua- - 50%
[WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition < 50%
[3DS] Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney - 20%
[3DS] [PSP] UnchainBlades EXXiV - zzz
ashley_cole_1583857c.jpg

I feel sick.

Oxx

They should probably just quietly cancel Fantasy Life right now in order to prevent further embarrassment.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
First day sellthrough

Oh God.

A few things, both series tend to have good legs and probably will sell pretty decently on the weekend. Taking into account previous shipment numbers, that could still be something like 80-90k first day. Still not as strong as I would have wanted, but could end up with 150k FW which is not horrible, just disappointing.

MrT-Tar

First day sellthrough

tumblr_meddhf8neC1rs18yd.gif

I'm actually disturbed how Level-5 have fallen from gaf's wet dream to laughing stock in such as short period of time.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I believe the biggest savadata available is 512k. VLR really should easily have been able to fit a few files on here. There's not that many choices you can make, and even though you can save anywhere, it shouldn't take much information to describe the game state given the type of game. Even at 128k it shouldn't have been much of an issue. Then again I've never understood why some game have save files as big as they do, and I've never worked on a very data intensive game.

I haven't played VLR, but as I understand it, VLR's state-space is basically defined as a tree. So if you enumerate every branch, then you can represent "have I gone down this path before" with a bit, the full enumeration will take n-bits, the index number for the state you're currently on would take log(2)n bits. There's no name entry or anything like that IIRC. You can calculate endings received based on previous path data. I guess if there's a save-anywhere you'd also need a dialogue pointer to locate yourself within the given scene, and maybe a few bytes for inventory contents to take into account that you can save during a puzzle sequence. Add, say, 32 bit-flags for sub-scene level event progress...

I have absolutely no idea how save files get as big as they do. :/

Takao

Banned
Is that Vita Hot Shots Golf PS3 release coming to the US?

It hasn't been announced for English relese.

First day sellthrough

ibKgO.gif

The new Squaresoft Level-5 is not.

Meikiyou

tumblr_meddhf8neC1rs18yd.gif

I'm actually disturbed how Level-5 have fallen from gaf's wet dream to laughing stock in such as short period of time.

Their problem is that they are a medium company who thinks as a BIG company, they ship too much copies while their games is not as mainstream as they wish, their publishing strategies should be like Atlus, but they do as Square or Nintendo would, which has damaged their image as publishers. For their job as game makers I still think they are one of the few which makes good games, in my opinion the only companies which deliver good games nowadays are Nintendo, L-5 and Atlus.

So both are in 20-25k range ?

squall23

Whatever the amount, a 20% sell-through on Day 1 is acrobatic shit.
And yet Tsutaya is reporting PLvsAA to be 2nd so far. So there are 3 possibilities:

1. Most of the copies are bought from Tsutaya
2. There really is a huge ass initial shipment that makes 20% seem like an actually bigger number.
3. The sales are steadily growing through the week.

Hero

20% seems really freaking low. Is Layton just not that popular anymore? Or is Ace Attorney here? ...Probably just Level 5, right? :p

Kenka

20% seems really freaking low. Is Layton just not that popular anymore? Or is Ace Attorney here? ...Probably just Level 5, right? :p
Well, somehow, I realize I am absolutely clueless. It's the first time I can't even begin to think of an argument to feed a conversation in a gaming discussion. They were good in the DS heydays and they are now facing bombas after bombas. Ni no Kuni unexpectedly sold subpar, Time Travellers bombed, that other game bombed and now this? What happenned that turned the consumers off?
Layton games tend to have very solid legs, so it all depends on how it will perform during the incoming weeks, imho.
Yeah, the calender is favourable but it doesn't explain the mismatch between Day 1 demand and the shipments. The danger in such situation is that used copies will progressively make the new copies unattractive.

watershed

Banned
Layton games tend to have very solid legs, so it all depends on how it will perform during the incoming weeks, imho.
Isn't it true that the first 3ds layton game underperformed compared to previous entries despite being one of very few good launch games? I don't have the numbers and I'm on my phone. But if so, this could be a continuation of a worrying trend for Lvl 5.

squall23

Isn't it true that the first 3ds layton game underperformed compared to previous entries despite being one of very few good launch games? I don't have the numbers and I'm on my phone. But if so, this could be a continuation of a worrying trend for Lvl 5.
Well, yes considering that there were that many more people with a DS than a 3DS. I would love to see Japanese a launch title that sold 500k+, I really would.

watershed

Banned
Well, yes considering that there were that many more people with a DS than a 3DS. I would love to see Japanese a launch title that sold 500k+, I really would.

The comment I responded to specifically mentioned Layton games having legs. That's a great sign of popularity but a decline with a high profile launch title that, iirc, didn't have great legs would be a bad sign for future Layton games including Layton vs. Phoenix. Could be that Layton just isn't as popular as it was before or that the 3ds lacks the casual base that the ds had.

urfe

I think it was the best selling game until OoT came out. Must've sold over 500,000 by now, which isn't bad.

I'll be picking up Layton VS AA this week (DD though), so I'll be supporting the cause!

squall23

The comment I responded to specifically mentioned Layton games having legs. That's a great sign of popularity but a decline with a high profile launch title that, iirc, didn't have great legs would be a bad sign for future Layton games including Layton vs. Phoenix. Could be that Layton just isn't as popular as it was before or that the 3ds lacks the casual base that the ds had.
Certainly wouldn't surprise me if the popularity's fading. Layton 3 ending up with 850k-ish while Layton 4 dropped to 660k-ish.

tiku

I think it was the best selling game until OoT came out. Must've sold over 500,000 by now, which isn't bad.

Last known number was 354,344 just one year ago.

It's a long time, yes, but its sale were going really down by then (from August to December it only sold 42k units). Maybe it has not even reach the 400k, but i think it could by quite close to it.

Code:
2011-08-01 	 	311,778
2011-08-08 		318,167
2011-09-19 	 	331,569
2011-12-19 		354,344

4703+-+Professor+Layton+and+the+Mask+of+Miracle+-+3DS

urfe

Last known number was 354,344 just one year ago.

Oh wow. Also, I've seen it at certain stores recently discounted to 2,000 yen (Ito Yokado). I guess we'll have to wait until the end of the year (assuming it's on the end of the year charts), but I hope for at least 400,000. Anecdotal evidence, but I know a few people who bought a 3DS this year with it.

Road

Famitsu No. 1251 (first week / LTD up to week ending 11/11/2012)

[N64] Animal Crossing (Nintendo) {2001-04-14} - 36,263 / 213,984
[GCN] Animal Crossing+ (Nintendo) {2001-12-14} - 92,568 / 641,300
[GCN] Animal Crossing e+ (Nintendo) {2003-06-27} - 91,658 / 386,258
[NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) {2005-11-23} - 335,425 / 5,218,124
[WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo) {2008-11-20} - 303,204 / 1,221,459

[PS2] Dynasty Warriors 4 (Koei) {2003-02-27} - 723,127 / 1,197,349
[PS2] Dynasty Warriors 4: Empires (Koei) {2004-03-18} - 153,045 / 316,763
[PS2] Dynasty Warriors 5 (Koei) {2005-02-24} - 560,733 / 917,985
[PS2] Dynasty Warriors 5: Empires (Koei) {2006-03-23} - 53,542 / 144,872
[PS3] Dynasty Warriors 6 (Koei) {2007-11-11} - 176,180 / 371,443
[PS3] Dynasty Warriors 6: Empires (Koei) {2009-05-28} - 78,680 / 153,065
[PS3] Dynasty Warriors 7 (Koei Tecmo) {2011-03-10} - 259,787 / 476,018

[PS2] Samurai Warriors 2 (Koei) {2006-02-24} - 301,044 / 562,320
[PS2] Samurai Warriors 2: Empires (Koei) {2006-11-16} - 89,805 / 203,071
[PS3] Samurai Warriors 3 Z (Koei Tecmo) {2011-02-10} - 224,012 / 328,716
[PS3] Samurai Warriors 3: Empires (Koei Tecmo) {2011-08-25} - 70,488 / 122,519

I'm guessing more like 60k for Atelier.

I'd guess around 20k-25k for Atelier, and around 8-12k for Fate/Stay Night.

I'd also guess that people here will be like "bomba", but that these numbers are right in the predicted margins from their respective companies.

Both sold out here-and-there in the Osaka area, and Atelier sold out on Amazon quickly after release. (Atelier still on 5-6 day shipping from Amazon). The premium version also did what an actual, limited edition premium version should do, and disappeared.

Their problem is that they are a medium company who thinks as a BIG company, they ship too much copies while their games is not as mainstream as they wish, their publishing strategies should be like Atlus, but they do as Square or Nintendo would, which has damaged their image as publishers. For their job as game makers I still think they are one of the few which makes good games, in my opinion the only companies which deliver good games nowadays are Nintendo, L-5 and Atlus.

Inazuma Eleven games used to sell 1 million units, the first Layton trilogy sold almost 3 million units. They had to think bigger because they were selling A LOT of games.

Top Bottom