• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2010: {13/12/10 - 19/12/10}

cvxfreak

Tenbatsu said:
Back in Tokyo? Great:D
Yeah. I almost missed my flight back too. :lol Luckily the folks at Changi bent a few rules to let me onto the plane. Upgraded to business class too. :D

Thanks again for showing me around in Singapore!

14. [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) - 668,725 / 668,725

How does this compare to Phantom Hourglass? Seems like the game has been doing pretty well outside of the top 10.

I know that it has passed Twilight Princess, but am I right in thinking that it has now passed Phantom Hourglass as well?

test_account

XP-39C²
cvxfreak said:
You never know. The 3DS might actually give NSMB a boost thanks to the backwards compatibility.
That might be possible indeed, i didnt think about that :) Out of curiosity, did some GBA games get a boost in sales when the DS was launched (since the DS has/had GBA backwards compability)?

donny2112 said:
Since you're combining SKUs and R/B/G already is combined with Yellow, can you go ahead and add in Crystal to Gold/Silver (7,960,810), Emerald to Ruby/Sapphire (7,504,384), and Platinum to Diamond/Pearl (8,325,544)?

Thanks. :)
Ah, actually I want to seperate R/B/G and Yellow, but I'm always too lazy. xD

One question: What's the difference between the Final Fantasy International - versions and the standard-games?

duckroll

Nuclear Muffin said:
How does this compare to Phantom Hourglass? Seems like the game has been doing pretty well outside of the top 10.

I know that it has passed Twilight Princess, but am I right in thinking that it has now passed Phantom Hourglass as well?

Not even close.

Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

Media Create: 907,821
Famitsu: 902,386

duckroll said:
Not even close.

Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

Media Create: 907,821
Famitsu: 902,386

Oh, never mind. Guess my memory is just fuzzy.

I don't suppose that you have the sales of the other Zelda games as well? Would be nice to see how they all compare.

Busaiku

Keep in mind that retailers had to go through considerable price cuts for Spirit Tracks to get where it is now.
It was a huge failure, which is really a shame.

duckroll

Busaiku said:
It was the better DS Zelda!

Not really. They're about the same, with different annoying things about them, and the same formula wrapped around a slightly different presentation. I think people realized that, and the word of mouth was much, much worse than Phantom Hourglass.

Pooya

duckroll said:
Not really a shame. Maybe if they developed a better game it would sell better. :p
but it was way better than PH :\ , music instrument stuff sucked more than any other Zelda game but dungeon design was awesome. I love WW style Zelda so much, I hope this is not the end of it :( . also soundtrack was great.

iifu

Neo Member
Captain Smoker said:
One question: What's the difference between the Final Fantasy International - versions and the standard-games?
They are relocalized versions of the overseas releases, with added content (like the Zodiac Job System for FFXII) and English voices.

[Nintex]

miladesn said:
but it was way better than PH :\ , music instrument stuff sucked more than any other Zelda game but dungeon design was awesome. I love WW style Zelda so much, I hope this is not the end of it :( . also soundtrack was great.
I'd love to see a Wind Waker 2 on 3DS but I'm not sure if it'll happen. I wonder how most people think about the Zelda series these days, has Nintendo actually hurt the brand with titles like Phantom Hourglass and Link's Crossbow Training and no new console Zelda for 4 years?

Spirit Tracks was quite good but had some problems like huge framedrops in the fields and the bad detection of notes when you played Music that you just don't expect from a Nintendo game like that. It was also the shortest Zelda I think.

AniHawk

duckroll said:
Not really a shame. Maybe if they developed a better game it would sell better. :p

Maybe people were so turned off by Phantom Hourglass that they didn't want its superior sequel.

sphinx

the piano man
Instead of the absolutely unnecessary Ocarina of time remake for 3DS, nintendo should have started work on a complete version of wind waker with the missing dungeons, better sea travel mechanics and everything they wanted to add that didn't make it into the game because of time pressure.

Oot was already "perfect" upon release and still got master quest.

I cringed a bit when I saw nintendo was remaking it for 3ds instead of doing justice to either MM or WW with proper, more necessary remakes.

sphinx said:
Instead of the absolutely unnecessary Ocarina of time remake for 3DS, nintendo should have started work on a complete version of wind waker with the missing dungeons, better sea travel mechanics and everything they wanted to add that didn't make it into the game because of time pressure.

Oot was already "perfect" upon release and still got master quest.

I cringed a bit when I saw nintendo was remaking it for 3ds instead of doing justice to either MM or WW with proper, more necessary remakes.
Wii2.

sphinx

the piano man
BishopLamont said:

Forget it, I suspect miyamoto hates Aounuma's Zeldas because they don't sell and are weird. Nintendo will pretend MM and WW don't exist, like they do with all their games/properties they are not very fond of.

Nintendo isn't touching wind waker with a 10 foot pole and that's a shame. It is THE zelda game in most need of a remake.

AniHawk

Nintendo's remakes are pretty much restricted to handhelds these days. Master Quest, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Fire Emblem 3, and Mario All-Stars are pretty much the only remakes/upgrades they've made to console games on consoles.

That said, if OoT is being remade, I can see MM following close behind. Maybe TWW too. TWW would take more time than MM if they decide to make it cel-shaded, but both wouldn't be as work-intensive as a new Zelda game, and both could be improved upon.

sphinx said:
Forget it, I suspect miyamoto hates Aounuma's Zeldas because they don't sell and are weird. Nintendo will pretend MM and WW don't exist, like they do with all their games/properties they are not very fond of.

Nintendo isn't touching wind waker with a 10 foot pole and that's a shame. It is THE zelda game in most need of a remake.

Uh, they did give TWW two sequels.

[Nintex]

sphinx said:
But if they hate it so much why do most Zelda's use the Wind Waker art style?
The Wind Waker, Four Swords, Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks

AniHawk

[Nintex] said:
But if they hate it so much why do most Zelda's use the Wind Waker art style?
The Wind Waker, Four Swords, Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks

It's pretty obvious they did it to publicly shame Aonuma.

cvxfreak

AniHawk said:
Nintendo's remakes are pretty much restricted to handhelds these days. Master Quest, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Fire Emblem 3, and Mario All-Stars are pretty much the only remakes/upgrades they've made to console games on consoles.

Don't forget the rest of the Play on Wii games...

thefro

Nuclear Muffin said:
Am I the only person who loves sailing in Wind Waker?

It was great at first but there's some pretty big flaws in the experience.

No danger at all besides annoyances (shark-jumping, ironically).
Too few big islands to explore
Having to put down your sail to change the direction of the Wind Waker to change the direction of the wind takes way too long.
Actually, having to put down your sail to do nearly everything.

sphinx

the piano man
AniHawk said:
Uh, they did give TWW two sequels.

I was talking about the game itself, not about existing or possible sequels, prequels, spin-offs, etc.

Nintendo isn't touching the game The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker with a 10 foot pole means they won't give us the missing dungeons, better mechanics in that game.

They had to swallow sooo much shit for WW, first because of the art style, then because of the triforce piece hunting. Iwata had to somehow apologize if I remember correctly. It truly sucks thngs went that way.

GCX

sphinx said:
They had to swallow sooo much shit for WW, first because of the art style, then because of the triforce piece hunting. Iwata had to somehow apologize if I remember correctly. It truly sucks thngs went that way.
Aonuma apologized about the triforce hunt, not Iwata. And that happened like 5 years after the game's release.

WW was a critically acclaimed game that sold really well considering GC's userbase and I see no reason why Miyamoto would hate it. Two dungeons were cut because of time constraints but Miyamoto was probably one of the key persons making that decision.

[Nintex]

sphinx said:
I was talking about the game itself, not about existing or possible sequels, prequels, spin-offs, etc.

Nintendo isn't touching the game The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker with a 10 foot pole means they won't give us the missing dungeons, better mechanics in that game.

Nah that is overblown. It started with Miyamoto who said about Sunshine and Wind Waker that they should've worked harder on those titles. Everyone knew they were rushed out before completion. Koizumi said: "I was shocked about the response to Sunshine so I'm going to make the best game ever" and he made Galaxy.

Aonuma however had some interviews about OOT and TWW and whatnot when he still seemed to care. His main motivation was to make a game better than OOT and he felt that he failed in doing so thus far. He said if he could change something he'd alter the way you change the boots in the Water Temple. The Wind Waker came up as well and he 'apoligized' or at least 'agreed' with the critics on the Triforce Quest. He said that looking back they should've made that differently. His biggest regret on Twilight Princess was that he made it such a huge game from the start and couldn't build enough gameplay to fit in the huge world. That was jolly happy Aonuma at the top of his game, giving out DS carts with Zelda trailers and screenshots being worshipped by fans worldwide.

Again that was all said when he still cared or pretended that he did. Right now he looks miserable and all his interviews are like 'yeah I'm a bad planner, told them about a train whatever oh my kid wants Link to fly on a dragon but I'd never do that and the timeline is real' giving fanboys and Nintendo helpdesks worldwide seizures.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Famitsu Sales: Week 52, 2010 (Dec 20 - Dec 26)

01. / 01. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (Capcom) {2010.12.01}
02. / 00. [PSP] AKB1/48: If I loved an Idol (Bandai Namco) {2010.12.23}
03. / 03. [WII] Donkey Kong Country Returns (Nintendo) {2010.12.09}
04. / 04. [NDS] Pokemon Black / White (Pokemon Co.) {2010.09.18}
05. / 06. [WII] Wii Party (Nintendo) {2010.07.08}
06. / 00. [PSP] The 3rd Birthday (Square Enix) {2010.12.22}
07. / 07. [WII] Mario Sports Mix (Nintendo) {2010.11.25}
08. / 02. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 3: World Challenge!! The Ogre (Level 5) {2010.12.16}
09. / 08. [NDS] Ni no Kuni: The Ebony Wizard (Level 5) {2010.12.09}
10. / 11. [NDS] Magician's Quest: The Merchant’s Store of Sorcery (Konami) {2010.11.11}

farnham

Banned
duckroll said:
Not really. They're about the same, with different annoying things about them, and the same formula wrapped around a slightly different presentation. I think people realized that, and the word of mouth was much, much worse than Phantom Hourglass.
the dungeons of spirit tracks are leap and bounds above phantom hourglass

jesusraz

Interesting to see Ninokuni clinging onto a Top 10 spot again this week. I wonder if that's to do with good word-of-mouth, or the reported drop in retail price.

Laguna

Banned
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
I'm wondering, what game sales wise(not what you are interested in game-wise) in Japan are you most interested in on the horizon for 2011?

Besides of 3ds and its software in general. It will be interesting to see how much FF4 complete will sell.

donny2112

Captain Smoker said:
Ah, actually I want to seperate R/B/G and Yellow, but I'm always too lazy. xD

I'm all for separating titles where possible, but that seems a weird distinction to make with combining all the other stuff that's combined. Oh, well.

GBOY Pokemon Red/Green/Blue - 7,783,101 (20011230)
GBOY Pokemon Yellow - 2,294,065 (20011230)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
4Gamer is out for holidays. inside-games or gamespot will give top 10 tomorrow. If I'm at work someone else must start the new thread.

EDIT: 4Gamer.net will have regular updates after January 6, which means next week's top 20 is also gone.

Does anyone have total shipped numbers for software?

I'm trying to estimate the total amount of software sold in Japan ever (without PC). ^^

Here are Nintendo & SCE numbers, can't find the others:

NES: 225.860.000
SNES: 194.850.000
NDS: 190.000.000
GB/C: 157.060.000
GBA: 73.080.000
WII: 53.670.000
N64: 39.750.000
GCN: 27.540.000

* as of September 2010

PS1: 286.000.000
PS2: 228.000.000
PSP: 19.600.000
PS3: 1.800.000

* as of March 2007
** These are numbers for all asian markets!
*** "Production Shipments"

Damn Sony, their corporate site is so shitty.
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps3soft_e.html

I've found something for the Dreamcast (Segas Annual Report 2000):

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/ir/library/pdf/printing_archive/2000/e_sega_annual_tuuki_2000.pdf

In the Dreamcast home video game console segment of SEGA's Consumer Product Sales Division, sales in the Japanese market, now in their second year, were 950,000 hardware units and 7.04 million software units. In their first year, sales in the United States amounted to 2.5 million consoles and 13.83 million software units and in Europe, 1.04 million consoles and 3.99 million software units. Sales in other Asian regions totalled 160,000 in hardware and 1.18 million in software, while total worldwide sales amounted to 4.65 million hardware units for the fiscal year under review (the cumulative total is 5.55 million) and 26.04 million software units for the fiscal year unter review (the cumulative total is 29.05 million).

Okay, worldwide software has been 29.05 million

Minus first year US, Europe and Asia = 10.05 million for Japan LTD

First Fiscal Year Japan: 3,010,000
Second Fiscal Year Japan: 7,040,000

Only question, when does the fiscal year end?

Top Bottom