• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2015 (Dec 14 - Dec 20)

2thepoint

Right, the expansion of the number of staff working on each game pretty much causes the degree of leaking we have right now.

When 1500 people work on getting Assassin's Creed: Egypt out the door, even if only 1/3rd of them are dealing with the next-gen versions (which is frankly preposterously low), that's 500 leak vectors.

Now if Ubisoft has only 20 people in Ubisoft Kiev doing an NX port of the next Assassin's Creed since they don't need assets any better than the existing ones, then yes that's possible to keep secret, but when you look at the count of games being made that starts adding up to hundreds or even a thousand people really fast if there's a lot of developer support.

Assassin's Creed Egypt?

Your speaking hypothetically right?

Oregano

I don't think the west cares about the NX. The 'thirst' for the new gen to hype up their products on and sell is already here and established. They no longer have a need to be gungho with it and that is the simple reality. Unless the western market experiences some sort of catastrophic collapse from over budgeted AAAA productions (or Nintendo pulls a Wii out of its ass), Nintendo will, for this gen's duration at least, be a secondary thought against the established footholds of the X1/PS4.

(If anything, I'd say the west wants to narrow their spread as much as possible in general. Less consoles the better. We may soon see the same thing from the big publishers with VR if the Oculus really does clock in a lot higher than expected on price, with everything funneling to PSVR for main development. Of course, Oculus/Viva have the entire PC community which has already made hundreds of VR capable games, so in this regard such an act may be less than fruitful but we will see. We still know very little on any of the headsets outside of their targets and how comfortable they are...)

Conversely, in Japan, I think developers are trying to proliferate as much as possible in an attempt to survive because two years of throwing titles at the PS4 hasn't turned it into anything even remotely resembling a market leader or even potential replacement of one before the NX launches and the removal of the Vita's crutch on cross-platform titles in that ecosystem. On this regard, and due to the sheer strength that Nintendo has in the domestic market, I think here the support will be considerably better. The 3DS is the only thing sustaining the market (on Nintendo's products and several strong IP from third parties) and nothing in the current market is going to suddenly jump in to take its place. For that reason I think there will be a more forward and immediate attempt to transition the 3DS audience to the next handheld from both Nintendo and third parties. I actually expect to see a good number of cross-gen products from Nintendo, and I still believe there's something in the water for MH:Stories, not to mention DQXI's coming 3DS/NX form.

If the title has western hooks already planted, I expect it to be PS4 first and potential NX. If its the other way around, I expect it to be NX first and then whatever else follows, PC and/or PS4. Or maybe Ninendo will start using Sony's dubious words and start announcing their own "debuts" and PC inclusive "exclusives".

If its a family oriented title, I don't expect another DQB situation to occur, let's put it that way.

I'm still not convinced we'll see PS-focused developers or IP include NX in their release plans going forward. Whilst we've seen a lot of them add PC SKUs that's always been for the western market and I'd say it's pretty clear that Sony doesn't mind financially supporting titles that are also on PC. A lot of them will probably think there isn't an audience on Nintendo systems for their games and won't even try to establish one.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Most interesting thing next year for first half is how close 3DS and PS4 hw will follow sw performance.

Comparing to this year's releases PS4 is similar to weaker and 3DS much stronger.

Oregano

Most interesting thing next year for first half is how close 3DS and PS4 hw will follow sw performance.

Comparing to this year's releases PS4 is similar to weaker and 3DS much stronger.

Wait, what does 3DS have dated of the first half? DQM Joker 3?

The major releases for the PS4 this year were Dragon Quest Heroes, MGSV and...that is it, right? There were decent western titles like CoD and what not but yeah.

As such, how would the releases for next year be "similar to weaker" to that?

Oregano

The major releases for the PS4 this year were Dragon Quest Heroes, MGSV and...that is it, right? There were decent western titles like CoD and what not but yeah.

As such, how would the releases for next year be "similar to weaker" to that?

I really haven't been paying attention to what's lined up but DQ Heroes might be bigger than anything in the first half of next year.

Zelda Musou port, Mario&Sonic & SMT IV Final... i think there's few more notable release but can't remember all of them

Oh yeah Zelda Musou could be big. I don't expect anything from Mario & Sonic and SMTIV Final will probably see the typical JRPG-sequel drop off.

Vena

I'm still not convinced we'll see PS-focused developers or IP include NX in their release plans going forward. Whilst we've seen a lot of them add PC SKUs that's always been for the western market and I'd say it's pretty clear that Sony doesn't mind financially supporting titles that are also on PC. A lot of them will probably think there isn't an audience on Nintendo systems for their games and won't even try to establish one.

Its their choice to do what they want. If the West/Asian market can support them (of which we've not exactly seen resounding successes) then they have no reason to change nor am I really suggesting they do it (I am speaking more of the major players in the market), but the majority of their sales are in Japan as of right now. If they can make due with what is left of the market, then all the more power to them.

But the market has moved on, and the Vita will sooner or later just not be much of a desirable product from a consumer point of view, and it already is struggling to stay relevant if not for Minecraft as the rest of its software is largely targeting an established group. If the Vita's ability to grow fades any harder then, even though it has an established sales target, those consumers will be but a fleeting dream with no "new blood". The PS3 is already moribund. Of course, we can never count out a complete revolution in the market from stuff like VR or perhaps some new "Splatoon"-like product hitting the market.

Fact of the matter is, the market in Japan is being held afloat on the shoulders of the 3DS. If that product leaves the market with no strong replacement, then there just won't be much of a market left. But I'd eat my hat if major Japanese publishers weren't there front and center early, though maybe not all as eager as SE on the home market. I think SE saw the writing on the wall with regards to the home market, I think that's why we heard so much of DQXI/DQX but not so much of anything like FF or the like which do not need to be home-aligned. (And DQB is a total miscalculation in my opinion.)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
If you could just ramp up an NDA and call it a day, everyone would have done so years ago.

So, you think that there is no game in development from any western software House?
I was the one you quoted saying western support will be shit but I dont know if there will be no game at all. So I would say that there could be few games but generally no real interest and that the lack of leaks could be indicative of that. Maybe because even the leaks you were talking about for next generati on systems were somehow part of their buzz building PR and marketing strategy.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, you think that there is no game in development from any western software House?
I was the one you quoted saying western support will be shit but I dont know if there will be no game at all. So I would say that there could be few games but generally no real interest and that the lack of leaks could be indicative of that. Maybe because even the leaks you were talking about for next generati on systems were somehow part of their buzz building PR and marketing strategy.
I think there's minimal development to the point it's possible to keep a general lid on things.

If there are 20 games from Western publishers in development for the NX that's a very different different scenario than 200.

Like consider the difference here. By this time for the PS4/XB1, the vast majority of every major publisher's three year game horizon was actively in development for the systems. With the NX, it might be a couple of token games (Madden, NBA, UbiGame, etc) per publisher with no further plans unless the system pans out.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Even the best kept secrets flow like water in the Western industry. Hell, the Xbox One had zebra striped consoles on a per developer basis to try and stop things and it did all of nothing. We have stories of Microsoft battering developers like that Crytek guy over the leaks as well, but it didn't seem to do anything either.

Ubisoft has a division dedicated to stopping leaks and I've even gotten complaints they sit around on this forum PMing people angrily and it's not like we don't hear about or see all of their games months if not years before their intended unveiling.

EA can't keep secrets. Activision can't keep secrets. Warner can't keep secrets. ZeniMax/Bethesda can't keep secrets. Even secrecy stalwarts like Blizzard and Rockstar have become leaky buckets over the years. If none of the people who are leaking their entire three year slates are saying anything about the system, who is working on the games?

The way things stay secret these days is that there's very few people working on them. One thing that does stay secret in the West is the existence of most indie games, but that's because there's 1-10 people sitting around making them. Sometimes smaller products like licensed games or children's products are the same.

If you could just ramp up an NDA and call it a day, everyone would have done so years ago.

While this is definitely true, I just can't be thinking of a scenario where NX, at launch, literally gets nothing from Western publishers (I'm talking about major publishers, not including indies). Again, at best I'm expecting a mediocre support right from the get go, with other support depending on first weeks both hardware and software sales.

Just to clarify: by "mediocre" support I mean several titles from Ubisoft, Activision and Warner Bros. (not just children-focused titles, but one-two of their core titles as well), both brand new games and late ports. Maybe (maybe - maybe - ) one-two titles from EA at launch and a Square Enix-Eidos side game. That's what I consider a mediocre support at launch from major Western publishers. So, my most optimistic prediction isn't that much to begin with, I'm expecting a bit less (no EA/Eidos, slightly titles from Activision/Ubisoft/Warner Bros.) seeing something a lot worse than that would be both surprising and depressing.

As Oregano noticed, we've yet to see a major hardware leak for NX, its physical appearance, while we had something for Wii U months before its first E3 showing (let's all remember Nintendo had two E3s where they showed Wii U). Also, John Harker already hinted at developers knowing about NX's hardware before E3 (while others at E3, as reported by Fortune). And, since next year 3DS turns 5 years old on February/March, I don't see a scenario where no NX at all is released in 2016 (by that, I mean that the handheld form factor should be out next year; I'm starting to expect both handheld and home form factors out next year, but let's stay cautious with predictions), thus I don't think a later-than-we-thought release explains the silence. I'm more on Vena's side on this: Nintendo is trying to control the message as much as possible. So far, we only had two official leaks about NX: DQX/XI from Square (literally read from the script during the event, then Square backtracked) and WSJ talking about SDK being distributed to developers (with the concurrent new Developer Page opening), and basically nothing else of that kind (just Tamaki's nebulous rumours or that thing from the Nintendo fansite, much more nebulous), unless we count several patents as leaks (but that's highly debatable).

Btw, here's the posts I was referring to in my former post

Theyre too busy dolling out NDAs

Is there an NDA for which NDAs they are dolling out?

Because if not, we'd be happy with such scraps.

hahaha. i think you can infer plenty though.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=183098921&postcount=6312

Nintendo's NDAs, even though they have gotten better in recent years, still feature a few loopholes. I believe they are updating the one for development now though, or have recently.

So, it seems Nintendo is reinforcing their NDAs strategy overall, starting from the Development Page itself (completely renewed and now modern, and featuring some policy changes). Now, does this mean we can start the whole "Wii U announcements are NDA, just wait and see!!111!" craze all over again (recalled by Y2Kev in the current NPD thread too :lol )? No way, absolutely no. Expecting major Western support for NX, especially at launch, is foolish. Even expecting mediocrity is optimistic (again), but I think this new NDA policy is preventing titles / development from being leaked, and they could be particularly efficient because there's not that much on the pipeline (less people involved), or (as you mentioned) titles being developed by smaller, less-budgeted branches (the smaller the team, the lower the chances of leaks coming out).

I don't think the west cares about the NX. The 'thirst' for the new gen to hype up their products on and sell is already here and established. They no longer have a need to be gungho with it and that is the simple reality. Unless the western market experiences some sort of catastrophic collapse from over budgeted AAAA productions (or Nintendo pulls a Wii out of its ass), Nintendo will, for this gen's duration at least, be a secondary thought against the established footholds of the X1/PS4.

(If anything, I'd say the west wants to narrow their spread as much as possible in general. Less consoles the better. We may soon see the same thing from the big publishers with VR if the Oculus really does clock in a lot higher than expected on price, with everything funneling to PSVR for main development. Of course, Oculus/Viva have the entire PC community which has already made hundreds of VR capable games, so in this regard such an act may be less than fruitful but we will see. We still know very little on any of the headsets outside of their targets and how comfortable they are...)

Conversely, in Japan, I think developers are trying to proliferate as much as possible in an attempt to survive because two years of throwing titles at the PS4 hasn't turned it into anything even remotely resembling a market leader or even potential replacement of one before the NX launches and the removal of the Vita's crutch on cross-platform titles in that ecosystem. On this regard, and due to the sheer strength that Nintendo has in the domestic market, I think here the support will be considerably better. The 3DS is the only thing sustaining the market (on Nintendo's products and several strong IP from third parties) and nothing in the current market is going to suddenly jump in to take its place. For that reason I think there will be a more forward and immediate attempt to transition the 3DS audience to the next handheld from both Nintendo and third parties. I actually expect to see a good number of cross-gen products from Nintendo, and I still believe there's something in the water for MH:Stories, not to mention DQXI's coming 3DS/NX form.

If the title has western hooks already planted, I expect it to be PS4 first and potential NX. If its the other way around, I expect it to be NX first and then whatever else follows, PC and/or PS4. Or maybe Ninendo will start using Sony's dubious words and start announcing their own "debuts" and PC inclusive "exclusives".

If its a family oriented title, I don't expect another DQB situation to occur, let's put it that way.

Nothing about what Sony has been saying is dubious. It's been pretty clear what is exclusive and what isn't.

I do however, agree that the west does not and will not care for NX in the slightest, and I think that's the bigger problem here. A lot of the games Japanese publishers have been "throwing at PS4" aren't even out yet. FFXV, Persona 5, KH3 etc. While I don't expect any of them to remotely "save" console gaming in the country, I think those will be the true litmus test that will tell us how much the market can stabilise over there. If they fail to cause any sort of marginally successful uptick, then we can call said proliferation an outright failure.

Saying this already, with nothing notable outside of the likes of DQH and One Piece Pirate Warriors having released yet, it's impossible to call. What I do agree with you on however, is that it's likely that NX in it's portable form will take on Vita's position in the marketplace. Hell, you could even get a scenario where instead of MH5 for 3DS/Wii U like we got with 3G, we get MH5 for NX(portable)/PS4. Who knows. It'll be an interesting couple of years.

That said, remember when everyone assumed the Japanese publishers would flock to Wii U and that never happened? Part of me also doesn't see how NX will change any of that. At least not yet. Even if it has a handheld SKU.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I think there's minimal development to the point it's possible to keep a general lid on things.

If there are 20 games from Western publishers in development for the NX that's a very different different scenario than 200.

Mmmh I agree on the minimal support, even if it is sad to see such minimal interest in a new dedicated game device.

I really hope that Japan will support the console and that Nintendo will both pursue this goal alongside a better management of its own developing efforts.

Btw these reasoning already picture a nightmarish future for NX in the west that will surely downtone even part of the possible Japanese developers.

And with vita probably not being substitute from Sony, this shows the cronical nintendo incompetence on the third party side of things...

Oregano

Its their choice to do what they want. If the West/Asian market can support them (of which we've not exactly seen resounding successes) then they have no reason to change nor am I really suggesting they do it (I am speaking more of the major players in the market), but the majority of their sales are in Japan as of right now. If they can make due with what is left of the market, then all the more power to them.

But the market has moved on, and the Vita will sooner or later just not be much of a desirable product from a consumer point of view, and it already is struggling to stay relevant if not for Minecraft as the rest of its software is largely targeting an established group. If the Vita's ability to grow fades any harder then, even though it has an established sales target, those consumers will be but a fleeting dream with no "new blood". The PS3 is already moribund. Of course, we can never count out a complete revolution in the market from stuff like VR or perhaps some new "Splatoon"-like product hitting the market.

Fact of the matter is, the market in Japan is being held afloat on the shoulders of the 3DS. If that product leaves the market with no strong replacement, then there just won't be much of a market left. But I'd eat my hat if major Japanese publishers weren't there front and center early, though maybe not all as eager as SE on the home market. I think SE saw the writing on the wall with regards to the home market, I think that's why we heard so much of DQXI/DQX but not so much of anything like FF or the like which do not need to be home-aligned. (And DQB is a total miscalculation in my opinion.)

Well I think what you miss is that for most publishers it will have little effect whether the NX is successful, they'll only support it if they need to. Publishers don't actually care about the overall health of the market. Square Enix talks big but the reason they care about the JP success of the PS4 is simply because AAA FF games are still their bread and butter and a third of their sales comes from Japan. They need a successful, powerful home console in Japan. Similarily you'll probably see Level 5 and Capcom talk NX up big because their biggest products are still dedicated handheld products and it's probably why SE was keen to announce Dragon Quest.

The question is whether the need will be there to support NX. I'd say recently it's been clear that devs/publishers have been trying to transition their audiences to PS4 and leaning heavier on the west. Once the PS3 and Vita have completely faded will the PS4 be able to absorb enough of the audience? I actually don't think it will but...

PC is the spanner in the works. Some people have pointed to PC to say that if NX is easy enough to port to and has enough of a market it will get titles but I see the opposite. If western sales on PC are enough to counteract whatever decline happens in Japan they won't see any need to support NX.

Also as I said it depends if they see any potential audience existing on NX. If they don't they'll see as just an added cost in a time when they need to be cutting costs to account for lower sales.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
While this is definitely true, I just can't be thinking of a scenario where NX, at launch, literally gets nothing from Western publishers (I'm talking about major publishers, not including indies). Again, at best I'm expecting a mediocre support right from the get go, with other support depending on first weeks both hardware and software sales.

I went into this a bit more with the post above, but let's do it with math instead.

Let's say that for each game in development, there's a 99% chance that the developers will manage to keep the platform's information secret.

20 games:
1 - (99% chance of secrecy)^20 games = 18.2% chance the system leaks

200 games:
1 - (99% chance of secrecy)^200 games = 86.6% chance the system leaks

In this scenario I've been very generous toward the odds of each individual studio not leaking anything by ignoring all external factors, and you still get a hugely high chance of things leaking as it only takes one studio.

In reality, it only takes one *person*, so this would lead me to believe there's minimal support. This of course does not rule out there being any support, as lower numbers of titles actually have a reasonable chance of secrecy in this model.

I feel they were more so a byproduct of allowing a lot of developers on board early in the process, and thus knowingly accepting a high chance of their products leaking, in favor of having as many games as possible.

Now, for Nintendo, generating interest at the AAA level is likely quite difficult compared to the PS4 or XB1, but I imagine they could actually get a reasonable amount of indie support if they flooded to market with development kits. That would assuredly result in their product leaking early though.

NeonZ

If the "NX" console is basically a boosted/expanded version of the portable - likely even bellow the PS4/XBox One in specs- It'd explain the earlier report about the devkits for both "units" being distributed together and why both are considered the "NX" in the first place.

In that scenario, considering the treatment that the 3ds receives from Western publishers, I could easily see the NX having very minimal Western support even for launch.

Vena

PC is the spanner in the works. Some people have pointed to PC to say that if NX is easy enough to port to and has enough of a market it will get titles but I see the opposite. If western sales on PC are enough to counteract whatever decline happens in Japan they won't see any need to support NX.

Also as I said it depends if they see any potential audience existing on NX. If they don't they'll see as just an added cost in a time when they need to be cutting costs to account for lower sales.

You make it sound as if the 3DS hasn't proven time and again that it can support titles westward. Heck, we have one on the first page at the moment. At which point I'd ask what level of brilliance would condemn the home market to chase a potential western market when the ability to tap both is seemingly possible? I'd sooner suggest that Japanese game developers sit on a tree and wait for Godot to deliver them from all their woes.

I can't imagine a world in which Capcom, Level-5, and others throw away their successes on handhelds at home and in the west in an attempt to... chase the west. If PC is easy to port to, just port the games from your handheld with the uncompressed HQ textures. Do you expect the NX handheld to be running on PPC or something? ARM compilation to and from x86 is an established work path.

Oregano

You make it sound as if the 3DS hasn't proven time and again that it can support titles westward. Heck, we have one on the first page at the moment. At which point I'd ask what level of brilliance would condemn the home market to chase a potential western market when the ability to tap both is seemingly possible? I'd sooner suggest that Japanese game developers sit on a tree and wait for Godot to deliver them from all their woes.

I can't imagine a world in which Capcom, Level-5, and others throw away their successes on handhelds at home and in the west in an attempt to... chase the west. If PC is easy to port to, just port the games from your handheld with the uncompressed HQ textures. Do you expect the NX handheld to be running on PPC or something? ARM compilation to and from x86 is an established work path.

Oh no, I expect the publishers supporting 3DS to support NX. I don't expect them to ditch it. I'm talking about developers not targeting the 3DS right now, I don't think (as a general rule) that they'll migrate over to NX.

EDIT: @Nirolak: It's worth noting that Shin'en may have implied they were aware of the 3DS successor but they're quite a close partner. It's not impossible that trusted indies like them have kits.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
EDIT: @Nirolak: It's worth noting that Shin'en may have implied they were aware of the 3DS successor but they're quite a close partner. It's not impossible that trusted indies like them have kits.

Sure, but I would expect that to be a list of like five developers.

Celine

1*: [ALL] Software Sales 2009 (All Publishers) {2008.12.29} - 2.797.057 / 68.556.398
2*: [ALL] Software Sales 2010 (All Publishers) {2010.01.04} - 1.766.699 / 65.527.967
3*: [ALL] Software Sales 2011 (All Publishers) {2011.01.03} - 1.370.314 / 53.870.000
4*: [ALL] Software Sales 2012 (All Publishers) {2012.01.02} - 1.825.000 / 51.321.000
5*: [ALL] Software Sales 2013 (All Publishers) {2012.12.31} - 1.759.000 / 49.146.000
6*: [ALL] Software Sales 2014 (All Publishers) {2013.12.30} - 1.535.000 / 43.053.288
7*: [ALL] Software Sales 2015 (All Publishers) {2014.12.29} - 1.209.000 / 34.395.000
Hardware is going to be at an all time low too this year (Media Create):

2002:
Total - 7.999.313

2003:
Total - 8.341.944

2004:
Total - 8,511,387

2005:
Total - 9.813.434

2006:
Total - 13.678.026

2007:
Total - 16,193,652

2008:
Total - 12,277,812

2009:
Total - 10,534,002

2010:
Total - 9,336,350

2011:
Total - 10,085,107

2012:
Total - 9,620,672

2013:
Total - 8,391,267

2014:
Total - 6.544.036

2015*:
Total - 5.176.242

*miss last two weeks.

Japanese dedicated gaming industry really need NX to be a hit.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I went into this a bit more with the post above, but let's do it with math instead.

Let's say that for each game in development, there's a 99% chance that the developers will manage to keep the platform's information secret.

20 games:
1 - (99% chance of secrecy)^20 games = 18.2% chance the system leaks

200 games:
1 - (99% chance of secrecy)^200 games = 86.6% chance the system leaks

In this scenario I've been very generous toward the odds of each individual studio not leaking anything by ignoring all external factors, and you still get a hugely high chance of things leaking as it only takes one studio.

In reality, it only takes one *person*, so this would lead me to believe there's minimal support. This of course does not rule out there being any support, as lower numbers of titles actually have a reasonable chance of secrecy in this model.

I feel they were more so a byproduct of allowing a lot of developers on board early in the process, and thus knowingly accepting a high chance of their products leaking, in favor of having as many games as possible.

Now, for Nintendo, generating interest at the AAA level is likely quite difficult compared to the PS4 or XB1, but I imagine they could actually get a reasonable amount of indie support if they flooded to market with development kits. That would assuredly result in their product leaking early though.

If the "NX" console is basically a boosted/expanded version of the portable - likely even bellow the PS4/XBox One in specs- It'd explain the earlier report about the devkits for both "units" being distributed together and why both are considered the "NX" in the first place.

In that scenario, considering the treatment that the 3ds receives from Western publishers, I could easily see the NX having very minimal Western support even for launch.

Well, when I meant "literally nothing" from Western developers at launch, I was basically meaning something like 1-2 titles from one between Activision/Ubisoft/Warner Bros. as a whole, combined total. If by minimal, we mean "20 titles against 200" like Nirolak suggested as an example case, then...maybe we're almost on the same page after all? Maybe my actual expectation is slightly higher, but it's not that different after all.

Oregano

Sure, but I would expect that to be a list of like five developers.

Well there's quite lot of developers on the eShop nowadays and Frozenbyte managed to get a Wii U kit despite having never worked with Nintendo so I imagine that list could be somewhat extensive.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well there's quite lot of developers on the eShop nowadays and Frozenbyte managed to get a Wii U kit despite having never worked with Nintendo so I imagine that list could be somewhat extensive.

When we're talking about this sort of timing, I feel the "when exactly did they get it" part is kind of important as well though.

Like if in late January/early February, Nintendo announces in their fiscal call "Hey the NX is a handheld with one screen that has buttons sticking through it, hear more at E3." and then proceeds to hand out development kits at GDC to a bunch of indie developers, they've already announced the product on their terms and the risk is lowered notably.

Can I get a link to this potential implication? This is the first time I've heard of it.

Oregano

When we're talking about this sort of timing, I feel the "when exactly did they get it" part is kind of important as well though.

Like if in late January/early February, Nintendo announces in their fiscal call "Hey the NX is a handheld with one screen that has buttons sticking through it, hear more at E3." and then proceeds to hand out development kits at GDC to a bunch of indie developers, they've already announced the product on their terms and the risk is lowered notably.

True. The majority indie developers probably wouldn't rush to get projects to it either. The Shin'en thing was in July and might not actually be a hint. I thought it meant they wanted to port the original FAST to the N3DS because the 3DS wasn't powerful enough.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, when I meant "literally nothing" from Western developers at launch, I was basically meaning something like 1-2 titles from one between Activision/Ubisoft/Warner Bros. as a whole, combined total. If by minimal, we mean "20 titles against 200" like Nirolak suggested as an example case, then...maybe we're almost on the same page after all? Maybe my actual expectation is slightly higher, but it's not that different after all.

I think this is easier for me to discuss in qualitative terms.

I expect the following titles to *NOT* be announced for NX:
-Battlefield 5
-Destiny 2
-Overwatch
-Mafia 3
-Dishonored 2
-Mass Effect: Andromeda

Whether there's a total of 20 games or 30 games between LEGO, Call of Duty, Skylanders, Disney Infinity, Assassin's Creed, Just Dance, Gameloft, FIFA, and a variety of indie titles is less important in the conceptual range of what I feel a lack of leaks suggests, which is that there hasn't been a paradigm change in the amount of Western third party support they've achieved.

To contrast this with Japan, I think it's entirely possible that every publisher has at least one game on board and we'd get zero leaks out of them because there's no real outlet from which the leaks would flow with an assertion of legitimacy.

Oregano

If we getting a Japanese leak it would be through the Nikkei and Nintendo would probably pre-empt it with an announcement. That's what happened with 3DS(and Wii U?).

Sandfox

-Battlefield 5
-Destiny 2
-Overwatch
-Mafia 3
-Dishonored 2

Whether there's a total of 20 games or 30 games between LEGO, Call of Duty, Skylanders, Disney Infinity, Assassin's Creed, Just Dance, Gameloft, FIFA, and a variety of indie titles is less important in the conceptual range of what I feel a lack of leaks suggests, which is that there hasn't been a paradigm change in the amount of Western third party support they've achieved.

To contrast this with Japan, I think it's entirely possible that every publisher has at least one game on board and we'd get zero leaks out of them because there's no real outlet from which the leaks would flow with an assertion of legitimacy.
This is about what I'm expecting.

Vena

Oh no, I expect the publishers supporting 3DS to support NX. I don't expect them to ditch it. I'm talking about developers not targeting the 3DS right now, I don't think (as a general rule) that they'll migrate over to NX.

Oh. I wasn't really talking about them... >.< I was speaking of the major publishers who are already on the 3DS, and them going forward.

jjonez18

Hardware is going to be at an all time low too this year (Media Create):

2002:
Total - 7.999.313

2003:
Total - 8.341.944

2004:
Total - 8,511,387

2005:
Total - 9.813.434

2006:
Total - 13.678.026

2007:
Total - 16,193,652

2008:
Total - 12,277,812

2009:
Total - 10,534,002

2010:
Total - 9,336,350

2011:
Total - 10,085,107

2012:
Total - 9,620,672

2013:
Total - 8,391,267

2014:
Total - 6.544.036

2015*:
Total - 5.176.242

*miss last two weeks.

Japanese dedicated gaming industry really need NX to be a hit.

Looks that way. 3DS will be down. (Optimistically) Cancelled out by PS4 being up. Wii U down. Vita Down. Xbox won't even qualify as a rounding error. NX has to hit hard to reverse the overall trend.

Looks that way. 3DS will be down. (Optimistically) Cancelled out by PS4 being up. Wii U down. Vita Down. Xbox won't even qualify as a rounding error. NX has to hit hard to reverse the overall trend.

Im afraid its just going to divide the audiences. For instance, instead of PS4 selling 50k a week, the PS4 will sell 25k a week and the NX will sell 25k a week. That wouldnt accomplish anything, it would just make developers jobs harder because they have to make games for 2 systems that will likely be completely different in every possible way.

Nintendo doesnt just need to make a successful console, they need to bring in a new audience like they did with the Wii. (if they want to help the dedicated market in Japan). Both Sony and Nintendo have their work cut out for them, those stats are a disturbing trend.

Oregano

Oh. I wasn't really talking about them... >.< I was speaking of the major publishers who are already on the 3DS, and them going forward.

Oh, I thought it was implied when you were talking about the fails to get PS4 really going(although it's a bit early to say that) and how western orientated games might be on NX too.

-Battlefield 5
-Destiny 2
-Overwatch
-Mafia 3
-Dishonored 2

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

There are too many unknown variables at work and there is no absolute law that any western support must leak, so I don't find your argument to be particularly compelling. In fact, I find it incredibly tenuous.

I suppose if you're just asserting your opinion merely as reasonable doubt, I don't have a problem with it, but if you're presenting your case as some kind of evidence for the NX lacking major 3rd party western support, I just can't take it seriously.

Time and time again, history has proven that just because Nintendo has no leaks, it doesn't mean that there isn't something brewing. The latest example being that people didn't believe a Nintendo Direct would be broadcast this quarter because there wouldn't be anything to talk about (because if there was, surely we'd have known about it by now).

Personally, I don't think it's prudent to make assumptions primarily based on what you don't see coming, but that's just me.

I'm more comfortable with saying that there doesn't appear to be any evidence to support that the NX will have major 3rd party western support than saying that it isn't likely to get the support. The former is simply stating reality, the latter is unsubstantiated speculation.

Celine

Wii U is up this year.
Praise Splatoon.

EDIT:
Unless you were talking about next year.

Kouriozan

Putting so much hope on NX to revigorate hardware/software sales is not reassuring.
I also want big numbers to be back but at this point Nintendo need to make a miracle, in the meantime, mobile keeps growing and growing.

RPGamer92

Banned
Putting so much hope on NX to revigorate hardware/software sales is not reassuring.
I also want big numbers to be back but at this point Nintendo need to make a miracle, in the meantime, mobile keeps growing and growing.
I think a triple combo of FFXV, Persona 5, and DQXI would be a better bet for hardware sales bump.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

There are too many unknown variables at work and there is no absolute law that any western support must leak, so I don't find your argument to be particularly compelling. In fact, I find it incredibly tenuous.

I suppose if you're just asserting your opinion merely as reasonable doubt, I don't have a problem with it, but if you're presenting your case as some kind of evidence for the NX lacking major 3rd party western support, I just can't take it seriously.

Time and time again, history has proven that just because Nintendo has no leaks, it doesn't mean that there isn't something brewing. The latest example being that people didn't believe a Nintendo Direct would be broadcast this quarter because there wouldn't be anything to talk about (because if there was, surely we'd have known about it by now).

Personally, I don't think it's prudent to make assumptions primarily based on what you don't see coming, but that's just me.

I'm more comfortable with saying that there doesn't appear to be any evidence to support that the NX will have major 3rd party western support than saying that it isn't likely to get the support. The former is simply stating reality, the latter is unsubstantiated speculation.
You may feel free to bookmark my posts and call me out on them later if you feel my argumentation is insufficient. This isn't a science paper in a peer reviewed journal, it's market prediction on a video game forum.

No Smoke -> No Fire has been very successful for me over the years for this specific type of situation and I'm going to stick with it.

"Nintendo deciding on the timing of their internally recorded direct-to-consumer marketing" is not a comparable scenario.

Edit: To be clear you can call me out *now* as well, but I mean I won't at all be offended if you bring this up 30 threads from now as well.

Oh, you were talking about the hardware - because software is gonna drop no matter the period after the first week; that's why I also think hw would not be affected much by Obon if it follows the sw pattern.

Also, Winter holidays are a "Nintendo thing" since when Sony doesn't have wide-appeal products, because I remember PSP and PS2 selling really well in December, both hw and sw. It's not about a comparison (these days Nintendo is selling better during holidays) but about the increase per se - PSP and PS2 were quite positively affected by the period. Your examples seem a bit biased since pre-2003 Nintendo had two platforms while Sony only one, and the full picture is not there.

No, I was talking about both sw & hw

And the chart I posted includes 2005 and 2006 and 2011, sony had 3 systems in 2006 (PS2, PS3 and PSP) and even in 2011 cause PS2 was still alive.

If you remember PSP and PS2 selling very well you remember wrong cause numbers prove that N always sold better than S in every Xmas week, considering the worst year for N is still better than the best year for S, even GBA sold better than PS2 cause winter holidays is a period of time in which the nintendo audience buys more sw than the sony one.

Numbers, not opinions.

iirc 2/3 of Nintendo yearly profits are made during Q4, this means something, doesn't it ?

Scum

-Battlefield 5
-Destiny 2
-Overwatch
-Mafia 3
-Dishonored 2

Nintendo should be working hard to get Overwatch for NX, but alas, that's not happening.

Oregano

Probably not, but I think next year will be better than the last couple have been. Especially with PS4 being a lower price at the start as well.

Even the last couple would suggest it can make up for PS3, 3DS, Vita and Wii U declines. I think it's pretty unlikely.

Even the last couple would suggest it can make up for PS3, 3DS, Vita and Wii U declines. I think it's pretty unlikely.

with the launch of a new system (NX), the consolidation of another one (PS4) and PSVR, which probably is still underestimated here, I don't see how 2016 numbers could be equal or lower than 2015...

Top Bottom