• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Molecule Announces New IP, Dreams

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
There's much more highresy stuff from the old/failed engines in the PDF

RzwBm34.jpg

HOLY SMOKES! Looks like two faces here. I love where MM is going.

Shin-Ra

Let's be honest, with the kind of engine they've created here, all manner of nightmare fuel is inevitably going to be created. The graphics have such a surreal and otherworldly style to them that I wouldn't be surprised if the game ends up being more suited to darker imagery than family-friendly stuff. Even in the LittleBigPlanet games there were folks who attempted to create horror levels, but of course they were constrained by creation tools intended for the world's most cuddly 2D platformer, so it didn't really work. Those types of people are going to have an absolute field day with Dreams.

Nightmares. They should just call it Nightmares and be done with it. :p
I want to splat with splats.

LBP2splat.gif

One of the best eye-candy effects of last-gen.

Bashtee

If it's going to be what it seems, a creation tool for everyone, then this might be one of the biggest - if not the biggest - software innovations this gen. Will it be online only?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Please let Dreams be Morpheus bound. Please. Can you fucking imagine.

Walpurgis

Banned
Let's be honest, with the kind of engine they've created here, all manner of nightmare fuel is inevitably going to be created. The graphics have such a surreal and otherworldly style to them that I wouldn't be surprised if the game ends up being more suited to darker imagery than family-friendly stuff. Even in the LittleBigPlanet games there were folks who attempted to create horror levels, but of course they were constrained by creation tools intended for the world's most cuddly 2D platformer, so it didn't really work. Those types of people are going to have an absolute field day with Dreams.

Nightmares. They should just call it Nightmares and be done with it. :p
I never thought of this. This could be horrifying with Morpheus. And with the moving through different Dreams mechanic, someone could create something like P.T.
If it's going to be what it seems, a creation tool for everyone, then this might be one of the biggest - if not the biggest - software innovations this gen. Will it be online only?
This really does look like the most innovative game of the gen. I don't think it's online only. LittleBigPlanet worked offline.

I never thought of this. This could be horrifying with Morpheus. And with the moving through different Dreams mechanic, someone could create something like P.T.

This really does look like the most innovative game of the gen. I don't think it's online only. LittleBigPlanet worked offline.

i think it'll be online to some extent for online compute like what microsoft is doing with cloud compute in Crackdown3. that or they are coding to the metal on ps4 and doing all this using the hardware only ;P idk. we'll need more.

hesido

i think it'll be online to some extent for online compute like what microsoft is doing with cloud compute in Crackdown3. that or they are coding to the metal on ps4 and doing all this using the hardware only ;P idk. we'll need more.

No, they won't be using cloud compute for any visuals you see, local resources only.

Endo Punk

Love how it mimics claymation which is best (ani)mation so this game is a definite purchase. Was not a fan of LBP characters, I just found them a little boring looking and of course the floaty movement.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
About few articles about it and the slides are availabale but not video that I'm aware of.

Btw. Media Molecule is also talking about point clouds which is the same stuff these australian guys from euclideon with their unlimited detail engine talked about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKUuUvDSXk4

I actually remember seeing that. Are we looking at a potential revolutionary step from MM? I'm sure Sony will be keen on using this tech in future projects if it really can deliver on what is promised in that video. It seems to me that MM = ICE team 2

JP

I actually remember seeing that. Are we looking at a potential revolutionary step from MM? I'm sure Sony will be keen on using this tech in future projects if it really can deliver on what is promised in that video. It seems to me that MM = ICE team 2

They are definitely a talented group of programmers no doubt. But that seems to be a norm within WWS at this point in time. You have GG, SMS, ND, Evolution as the main AAA tech wizards. Then you have Japan Studio, MM and Q Games, as teams that can at any given time put out technical masterpieces of their own, but usually on a smaller scale game or AA type game. Q Games with The Tomorrow Children and their attempt at real time raytracing which they mostly succeeded at. I believe they are calling it Cascaded Voxel Cone Raytracing for their lighting system. You have The Last Guardian being made with an insanely detailed animation system and AI system.

This work by MM is truly spectacular also. It is going to be nuts having tools this powerful at your fingertips being able to make really anything you want, or take someone else idea or " dream " and build on it. Hopefully they can a large influx of funds with Tearaway coming out in just a few weeks.

Bloodrage

Banned
Gotta say that what this game is doing with graphics and rendering is unlike anything I've ever seen before in gaming. In general, actually, I don't think I've ever seen a game like this before. It truly looks "next gen" and I can't wait to see whatever they're showing next.

Media Molecule are insane, and Tearaway Unfolded looks so amazing.

It's still not perfect but their newer video shows how that technology has moved on.

Euclideon Makes World’s Most Realistic Graphics

What they are doing is quite a bit different from MMs approach though.
First of all Euclideons stuff, at least the browser demo released, is extremely CPU intensive, while MM uses GPU compute.
They also seem to focus on environmental scans and haven't yet shown how they would implement dynamic lighting, destructions or anything dynamic, while MM focussed very much on everything beeing absolutely dynamic. Its a sculpting tool afterall.

But I know basically nothing about tech, I just notices that they both used the term "point cloud".
Still very eager to learn more about Dreams and the tech behind.

MM is very underrated for tech. I'd argue they're on a level with ND, SSM, and Guerrilla. Incredible tech skill there but not as obvious because if their art style.
Holy shit! Am I being premature in calling this "revolutionary"?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
MM is very underrated for tech. I'd argue they're on a level with ND, SSM, and Guerrilla. Incredible tech skill there but not as obvious because if their art style.

A lot of LBP's tech came from Sony Cambridge working with them. Not sure if any members will have permanently become a part of MM as a result of that close working relationship, but thats how it was. It seems at least one of the top guys came from the rest of Sony to work on Dreams from the most recent talk.

Not to downplay MM, but Cambridge regularly got the short shrift for all the stuff they used to do in the background. And now they're "Guerilla" so... lol.

Top Bottom