• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Molecule up there with Naughty Dog as the best of Sony's studios? Why no love?

How come when it has sold several million? That genre is not the definition of niche to me seeing as that is the case.

If anything I see LBP appealing to a broad spectrum of gamers. Something Sony could do more of on the PS4.
LBP is an exception to the rule. The PS3/4 aren't incredibly friendly towards platformers in general.

breakfuss

Tearaway is excellent. Easily my favorite Vita game and in my top 3 overall from last year. But I simply do not enjoy the LBP series. Sure, it gets an A for presentation. Everything about it screams polish...obvious a lot of hard work went into it. But in the grand scheme of things, it just isn't fun. It's like MM decided to make a nifty app but forgot to make a... game?

As far as ND is concerned, they've been making games forever now, lol. Not a fair comparison.

The Llama

My friends and I had more fun with LBP than with any other game. We spent hours and hours playing that game... Ah, memories. Love MM so much.

And since I saw some people on the first page discussing it, FWIW I didn't like LBP2 as much as LBP1. Hard to describe. It just didn't feel quite as "fun".

MM will always be a top studio to me, loved LBP, but one gripe was that it put a song in my head for months: something about a brown shoe and bringing me down.....

I think MM PS4 title will determine whether or not it can be on par with the likes of ND or SSM, according to the general public of course.

Not hating on GG's here or anything because I love those guys and their technical brilliance.

But how come they have 270+ employees when MM's funding only allows them to employ 47?? It can't be to do with sales:

Little Big Planet - 5.4 million ww sales
LBP2 - 3.2 million

Killzone 2 - 2.9 million
Killzone 3 - 2.6 million
You're assuming MM can do more/better work with more staff, but that may not be the case. LBP is effectively just middleware for game creation along with some demo levels. Hopefully, their new project is much the same, but for Morpheus.

It usually doesn't take a gigantic team to just produce a tool set, I don't think. I'm sure if MM told Sony they needed another 20 guys, they'd get them. I have no reason to think MM feel "understaffed."

I think they've got really fantastic art design, but I have very little fun playing their games in terms of actual mechanics. I'm glad their games resonate with a lot of people, but what they put out is not for me.

I've always come away with the impression that they have an extremely vocal fanbase who love their games. Maybe not at the NaughtyDog levels, but then, that's compared to another company who has an extremely vocal, but much larger fanbase.

I'm not really sure how to answer the OP's question other than MM's games do not resonate with as many people's as ND's for as many reasons/opinions as there are people.

Draft

Based on those Metacritic scores they appear to be a studio in decline.

But I'm sure they will release something soon with a cute thing cooing at the screen over which man children can get all dewey eyed. Reaffirm gaming's potential to create joy by guiding some sort of muppet through a candyland.

Contra11

Banned
I will be interested for there next game if they make pure platforming game .. not a game about creating things mxied with bad platforming

Freeman

Banned
Wasn't LBP very successful? Tearaway had no promotion, was stealth released the same day as the Xbox One release. Sony should place it at PS+ so more people can play the game and appreciate how good it is.

I would love a Tearaway game/experiment for PS4, making use of the PS Camera and DS4 light-bar, touchpad and built in speaker.

Fbh

Meh.
I don't know. I'm not much of a fan.

As someone who is not very interested in creating content I wasn't a big fan of little big planet. As a far as platforming go it's really behind stuff like mario or rayman

Tearaway looks awesome. But I don't own a vita.

I hope their next game is a "regular game" and not some VR/Move game like some rumors say.

More proof that people willingly ignore Puppeteer

I thought puppeteer bombed.

I am half joking but seriously, Knacks shows that there is a decent market for platformers.

If Sony wants to break into the mainstream, it would help if they had a flagship 'platformer' and a mascot like Sackboy was for the PS3 (his potential wasn't used fully imo).

I'm pretty sure Knack fell off the map after launch, but I'm willing to be proven wrong.

Also, I don't think they need platformers to break into the mainstream. They've already got young western men in the bag. Look at how successful the PS4 is so far.

Kandinsky

Not hating on GG's here or anything because I love those guys and their technical brilliance.

But how come they have 270+ employees when MM's funding only allows them to employ 47?? It can't be to do with sales:

LBP2 - 3.2 million

Killzone 2 - 2.9 million
Killzone 3 - 2.6 million

Wow I didnt know LBP was that big, amazing if true, source plx.

Floaty jump all up in here, as expected.

LBP was only a platformer to people who turned it off after jumping through a few middling campaign stages.

Outside of the campaign, the game was a fun way for 90% of the people who played it make something that's roughly a playable version of a shitty Miiverse post, 9% make C-tier physics sandbox arenas that were A-tier fun in multiplayer, and 1% make a really neat level with dozens of hours of thought and effort that no one actually played. I really enjoyed it for what it was, but there's plenty about it to criticize, aside from the jump. The jump wasn't even that bad, it was the landing that was wonky.

Wait....how did LBP2 score lower than the original?!

I feel as if they are equal. Different experiences but always great IMO.

As someone who actually enjoyed both, I feel in retrospect, LBP2 was probably not as good as part 1.

And LBP Vita was better than either, and wasn't even made by them.

I'm not sure what to think about their PS4 project, but I'd be more interested if it was a world creator that used Morpheus.

But I'm sure they will release something soon with a cute thing cooing at the screen over which man children can get all dewey eyed. Reaffirm gaming's potential to create joy by guiding some sort of muppet through a candyland.

Tell us how you really feel

Isnt MM somewhat knew too? I mean ND has been making great games for like 20 years now. MM not very long. Doesnt mean they arent on NDs level (although I would say they are slightly below anyway) but they dont have the track record that ND has.

As far as I'm concerned they are at NDs level. ND has almost untouchable production values but I like the gameplay and game design risks MM takes.

Both LBP and Tearaway made me feel so happy to play. Seeing my face in Tearaway made me laugh each time. Those feelings were more powerful than the spectacle of Uncharted for me.

Its really sad to see so many posts like this in this thread. Just belittling MMs very thoughtful attempts bring a smile to some faces as just being cutesy.

And even if was as simple as being cutesy and therefore bringing joy, why the hell do you play games if not to experience some feeling? Sure most games target your thirst for adrenaline or feed into your desire to feel accomplished but are we really going to criticize a studio for focusing on bringing its audience joy?

Can we take a moment to contemplate how fucked up that is?

LBP in particular requires more from the player to get the most out of it, and the other games while excellent, unfortunately don't appeal to as many people.

Naughty Dog gameplay is nothing particularly special, but they excel at story/immersion. Lower bar of entry.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
It was. The potential of the tech they showed went right over the audience's heads. If Media Molecule had said, "our next game will have 3D creation and we're going to show how that works" it would have gathered so much more hype, but it didn't, even though that's still exactly what they showed.

It's really exciting. Mm's easy-to-use toolkit really got me interested in designing games, and through using it I inadvertently taught myself the ins and outs of some programming logic. There are a lot of very deep designer tools out there, but so many of them lack the accessibility that Media Molecule does so well.

I can't wait to try my hand at something similar with 3D.

breakfuss

lol, reeks of bitterness.

Personally i think their games have great presentation and charm but the overall gameplay is mediocre or unremarkable.

If the "floatiness" of LBP is a trademark, well then its a shitty trademark to have.

LBP, while being very cool, was just straight up not fun. I've not bothered with anything of theirs since. to be fair i don't buy ND titles either.

li bur

MM is a fantastic developer indeed. They made great game that (in my opinion) would appeal to both casual and hardcore. Unfortunately the casual people doesn't share the same opinion with me based on the sales figures.

Zen

Banned
Naughty Dog is a complete package of gameplay and technical ability, MM has never had a title that really delivers 100% in the gameplay department.

Eusis

They don't make what this industry considers to be AAA experiences. Naughty Dog does.

Their weak showcase at the PS4 reveal probably dampened some hopes, though.
That, and for LBP they ALSO don't really satisfy a lot of platforming enthusiasts I think. They're great sandboxes to build content in, but not really fun games to play, not without really REALLY digging through that user content anyway.

And Tearaway could be argued as their best game but look at what platform it came out on! Yeah that one's going to be overlooked, maybe if they remake it for PS4 people will appreciate it more or something, some of the Vita specific parts of it can definitely be translated over especially if you also have the camera.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
MM is a wonderful group of thinkers and creators. They just cant nail the gameplay. Until they do, they will hit the top tier.

AniHawk

eh, naughty dog isn't up there with mediamolecule. mediamolecule managed to both tell a story and make a 3d platformer.

LBP2 - 3.2 million

Killzone 2 - 2.9 million
Killzone 3 - 2.6 million

I agree they deserve more admiration. The quality of their work is simply top notch even if the content of their work is not appealing to all.

But is it ok if you can provide the source of your numbers. I have never heard of a firm number being put on the killzones like that.

VanWinkle

They're a top tier studio for sure. I don't love the floatiness in LBP, but the game is so polished with amazing presentation and creativeness. I was still able to thoroughly enjoy the games despite that floatiness. And Tearaway was just beyond practically anything I've played in a long time. Amazing, amazing game, and shows that floaty jumps were just a creative decision for LBP and not indicative of developer incompetence (Tearaway jump physics weren't floaty at all).

I want to be excited for their PS4 game, but I'm afraid it will be all-Move and/or Project Morpheus exclusive, in which case I won't be able to play it. They are fully capable of making amazing and creative games that just use the controls that come with the system.

Hubble

IMO they are. Tearaway is an absolute masterpiece and brilliant. The things in that game cannot be found anywhere else, and it is truly a special title among ALL games. It is even more impressive they did it on the Vita being used to console development.

ugoo18

Because they don't make cinematic shooters which is what has been big for the last couple of years in the industry. Their output is actually a bit Nintendo like in some ways.

VanWinkle

Because they don't make cinematic shooters which is what has been big for the last couple of years in the industry. Their output is actually a bit Nintendo like in some ways.

I think they would definitely fit in as a first-party Nintendo developer, but I'm glad Sony has them for the variety.

Outside of Naughty Dog, they're easily my favorite Sony first party studio. LittleBigPlanet might be my favorite series last gen and Tearaway is a top three Vita game IMO.

Can't wait to see what their PS4 game is. MM is the only reason I own a PS move controller. I was debating getting rid of it, but they convinced me not to when they unveiled the PS4 last February.

Revven

They haven't made enough games to be as "loved" as ND. Until they come up with something that's both remarkable in creativity, presentation, and gameplay that can be made into a significant trilogy like Crash Bandicoot or Jak I don't think anyone will love them or praise them as much as ND.

There was a lot of MM talk when LBP made its first rounds and what not but after that and after their showing last Feb. for the PS4 presentation they've sort of been hiding from the public eye. Tearaway being stealth released on the Vita doesn't help them or do them any favors.

mcflyOS

Banned
I guess because their games are more aimed towards children. You can only get praise for making games aimed at kids if you're a Japanese studio.

Top Bottom