• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Molecule up there with Naughty Dog as the best of Sony's studios? Why no love?

AzaK

Because they are not.

Pretty much this. I have to say I haven't played Tearaway, but Little Big Planet was an overrated piece of junk. Terrible mechanics and a broken editor system that made you jump through a billion hoops to use it.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Media Molecule is a great developer. They made two really good LittleBigPlanet-games and Tearaway (which I haven't played). But you aren't a good developer for developing two IPs and a sequel. You've just proven that you can make good games in a genre. I believe that if they'll be really great it will be thanks to their effort on PS4. Really looking forward to what they have in store.

Stampy

My impression is also that core gamers are not that much enticed with UGC games. Those games never seem to have big OTs as other AAA games around here.

Media Molecule is a great developer. They made two really good LittleBigPlanet-games and Tearaway (which I haven't played). But you aren't a good developer for developing two IPs and a sequel. You've just proven that you can make good games in a genre. I believe that if they'll be really great it will be thanks to their effort on PS4. Really looking forward to what they have in store.

The same thing could be said about Naughty Dog.

EDIT:

I'm ignoring Naughty Dog's pre-PS3 games, my mistake.

Dysun

Nice of you to jump from quality to quantity, as the sole success criterion. You gotta look for arguments everywhere just to dismiss, I guess...

Uh yeah, that's the point of the thread. Inquiring as to why they aren't heralded on the same level as Naughty Dog. Making a good game for an ultra niche device is going to be a factor.

co1onel

Tearaway is the only game they've made that I've enjoyed. And to think that was made by a tiny team off to the side. I like their creativity, but they've got to put it into a focused game like Tearaway instead of just throwing everything they've got into a game that requires the players to be creative. I'm sure their PS4 game will follow the LBP suit though.

Hydrargyrus

What a shame that Sony uses that awesome studio for shitty things like Move/Morpheus.

Probably a top3 first party studio and the most innovative of all. Fresh and new... but Sony seems to want to make his own Rare (the new Rare)

nampad

They are my favorite developer so here is the love <3

Sony did give them the centerstage in the last generation with LBP, they even used their game to make the usual boring numbers presentation at E3 unique. Sackboy also has gotten some semi-mascot status.

And I am fine with Sony not overly funding and expanding the team. I think their studio culture is one of the reasons their games are so special.

When their next project is presentable, I am sure Sony will make a big fuss about it.

coldone

Media Molecule is good introducing new ideas. But not good in games that have staying power. Every one was amazed by LBP at first.. but quickly got bored. Same issue with Wii Sports, Titanfall etc.

Games like GT6, COD, BF, DOTA may not look new. But they can be played for hours without getting tired.

Corto

They're unpredictable. We don't know what their next game will be. We can have a rough idea that it will be quirky, charming and have some sort of UGC by their gameography but that's it. Intuitive 3D sculpting (judging by their PS4 reveal video) using the Move, digital puppetry can turn this into a really cool hobbyist game creation platform, but LBP had already that promise and though some people created really cool games/levels that didn't catch fire. Maybe these new tools will make it more successful. I guess the trick would be MM to better implement gameplay in the game creation itself. Easier said than done though.

EvB

LBP is a really well presented game, which oozes quality but it doesn't really tick any boxes for me in terms of clever game design or mechanics.

I'm a huuuuge fan of Media Molecule and their games. I dont understand some people. I think a lot never really saw the potential of the LBP series and just saw it as a 2D patformer with funky jumping. For me the LBP series is a revolution in its own genre: 2D patforming with friends was never so fun, and the creativity from the comunity makes it fucking awesome. I think people that dont like LBP never had the chance to play it with a couple of friends. I can not emphasize enough how magic this game feels when your in the pod with a couple of friends just sticking props and stickers on one another. The laughs i had with these games! I'm pretty sure its the funnest game i played this generation. And LBP2 was just as awesome as the first one. So many hours i passed in the create mode making a shooter while my friend was there with me making the soundtrack. The tools in LBP2 holy crap i still cant believe all the possibilities they gave us its amazing. I got a friend who didnt like it. He then said: yeah i just played the story mode alone by myself... Wtf is wrong with him, he missed the whole community aspect of that game that made it unique. Anyway... Didnt have a chance to play Tearaway but i'm sure its just as magic. Some dudebros really need to let their innerchild out cause theyre missing on quite a lot... But instead they'll buy COD ... again .... that also have funky jumps lol

Because LBP was "overrated" (metacritically) because of it's potential and uniqueness (which I love), held back by fairly poor platforming.

Their quality doesn't match Naughty Dog's, but that's a pretty crazy high bar.

AniHawk

What a shame that Sony uses that awesome studio for shitty things like Move/Morpheus.

Probably a top3 first party studio and the most innovative of all. Fresh and new... but Sony seems to want to make his own Rare (the new Rare)

no way. after what they did with tearaway, which was the first game to really validate every one of the vita's design choices, they're the perfect developers to work on other ideas that are outside the standard industry box. mediamolecule working on vr games with motion controls is straight up fanboy fantasy shit right there. you couldn't have a better combination.

The majority of their games are floaty, unresponsive platformers with an emphasis on user interactivity which is used as a scapegoat to mask the developers' shitty sense of level design.

Thank god I played Tearaway. Otherwise I'd think they're not capable of proper level design.

They need to do more Tearaways. Less LBPs.

I'm glad Naughty Dog is capable of making a competent game like The Last of Us after two stinkers like Uncharted 2/3.

tCSldu4.gif

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
What does?

That UGC games have such a small community on GAF/the internet. Especially when you can have multiple people working on one thing at the same time like in LBP, it seems so fit for community, yet things are as you say.

My opinion but I always felt LBP was overrated. I think as a platformer, it's overrated. The user-generated stuff is good though. Without that, the whole series isn't so good as a platformer compared to other great ones like 3D world, Rayman Legends, or DKC.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Media Molecule is good introducing new ideas. But not good in games that have staying power. Every one was amazed by LBP at first.. but quickly got bored. Same issue with Wii Sports, Titanfall etc.

Not everyone. I've been following LBP since the original game's beta, and I was still toying around with the sequel's editor all the way to late 2013. I've spent so many days with the game, it must be one of my most worthwhile purchases.

I didn't find LBP particularly compelling because I'm more a game consumer than a game creator, and I don't own a Vita so I don't give a hoot about Tearaway.

That being said: I think they have good artists and music people.

The industry loves cinematic games more than colorful platformers at the moment

Naughty Dog: cinematic experiences
MM: quirky platformers

Both are doing a great job at what they're doing, who says MM isn't up there with ND? MM has been constantly delivering critically acclaimed games. Their PS4 game will hopefully be a showcase of VR, I dont see this studio ever making a bad game as long as Sony lets them pursue their creative vision.

EGM1966

I love 'em for their originality and so do many. Their games are simply not of a style that garners easy attention and are all the better for it IMHO. With LBP they delivered for me the most interesting and inovative title last gen and Tearaway is the best thing ive experienced this gen. Very much looking forward to what the do nect and hope its just as crazy and kooky.

MM games although technically a marvell are weird and psychedelic. I would like them to make games with a focused history and not strange language talking biscuits and weird things. Playing their games is a fever-like experience. I am happy in a Mario world, it makes me feel good. Not so in a LBP one.

Karl Hawk

Banned
I haven't played their LBP games, so I can't put my opinion on them. However, I did play Tearaway, and it was a lot of fun to play, so I can say I'm interested to what they'll create on the PS4.

quetz67

Banned
I somewhat like Little Big Planet and Tearaway, but to compare them with Uncharted/Last of us...nah!

I really hope they take a different direction next gen, LBP was a nice community experiment but failed as mass market compatible game IMO (actually to a good degree as a game).

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
I imagine that MM are going to spearhead Sony's Morpheus lineup. It seems like a perfect platform for them and I think if any studio can showcase the potential for VR it will be them.

Dinjooh

What I find even more interesting from their various output is the attention it gains from non-gamers. Because of the floaty mechanics and the very simple controls it's extremely accessible for everyone and it's the games that i've been able to play with the most varied group of friends. (Getting a Wii U soon might change that, but we'll see)

Stampy

That UGC games have such a small community on GAF/the internet. Especially when you can have multiple people working on one thing at the same time like in LBP, it seems so fit for community, yet things are as you say.

It is really a fit, and there is always a community built around those type of games, but unfortunatley Gaf is somehow pretty ignorant of those games. I mean just look at how Project Spark thread went. (The game is far from perfect, but to have so few posts is really indicative).

Me too. But then again, it's the same with the GG IP and Bend's new game and we might get none of them. :(

Dude, I would like to hope we would get AT LEAST 2 out of 3 of those.

Sony has been FAR too taciturn lately. They need to reveal what they are working on if they want to maintain their current momentum and public interest.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
they are great developers, especially in terms of concept and artstyle.
I personally didn't like their efforts in terms of gameplay, tough, so...
I still have to play Tearaway, and I'm looking forward for it, so maybe I'll change my mind.

I didn't find LBP particularly compelling because I'm more a game consumer than a game creator, and I don't own a Vita so I don't give a hoot about Tearaway.

That being said: I think they have good artists and music people.

Have you really played the game? You don't need to create levels or use tools (unless you want to change your sackboys looks) to play the single player or the user created content.

Oublieux

Unfortunately, creativity isn't always what sells. I have no doubt that Media Molecule makes wonderful games, but a wonderful game does not necessarily equate to success.

I mean, Capcom basically shuttered Clover Studios after they released amazing titles like Okami and Viewtiful Joe. Sure, they eventually formed Platinum Games and they stick to their core values... but their titles are definitely not the massive blockbusters like that of "main stream" appeal.

We brits always get the short end of the stick mate.

On topic I think it is the legacy if naughty dog and thats why people are more attached to them. I like both companies evenly.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
The same thing could be said about Naughty Dog.

EDIT:

I'm ignoring Naughty Dog's pre-PS3 games, my mistake.

Both Crash and Jak has proved that ND are great. Uncharted and The Last of Us cemented it. What they'll do next will be amazing. :)

I love Tearaway, but since it's a Vita game not enough people have had the chance to experience it. I didn't like LBP so much, to be honest. I'm not that into creating my own content and I didn't find the core gameplay particularly satisfying. MM is obviously a very talented studio with great ideas, but I wouldn't put them up there with Naughty Dog just yet.

Silky

Banned

These joke posts are getting better and better :)

2 and 3 don't impress me nearly as much as Drake's Fortune, and even then that's not much of a compliment.

I'm still playing 3's MP and it's an unbalanced, unresponsive piece of trash. Think I had a thread on it somewhere.

The Uncharted series is incredibly overrated series. Easily the weakest of the other ND trilogies.

In my opinion, of course. Shame that sharing an opinion here usually degrades to 'lol joke post?'

Top Bottom