• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta Quest 3 | OT + Review Thread |

How do they compare? Also, can you cross play with PSVR2 and Quest 3? I might have to buy it for both systems if we can multiplayer cross play. Any courses to avoid? Or, is it worth it just to go all in on the complete pack?
The game look and play identical except the psvr2 keeps tracking the controllers when you point them down. Sometimes the quest 3 controllers have issues when they point away from the headset. I think the rings on the psvr2 are better in this regard.
If you like minigolf then its definatly best to get the full course pack. I bought the full corse and now a few more corses have been made since that i dont yet have.
I dont know about crossplay. I no longer have the psvr2.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
The game look and play identical except the psvr2 keeps tracking the controllers when you point them down. Sometimes the quest 3 controllers have issues when they point away from the headset. I think the rings on the psvr2 are better in this regard.
If you like minigolf then its definatly best to get the full course pack. I bought the full corse and now a few more corses have been made since that i dont yet have.
I dont know about crossplay. I no longer have the psvr2.

I would add for Minigolf, at least how I play it, when you look down to line up your shot, I like to keep my view centered down on the ball, then only move my eyes towards the position of the hole I'm aiming for. I don't like to move my whole head to see the hole because then I can't see my ball anymore and line up the shot.

So doing it that way - looking to the edge of the screen, is a poor experience on the PSVR2 with it's non-pancake lens. Everything just looks blurry on that headset, so I don't find it an optimal platform to play the game on, the Quest 3 is much better, plus it's also wireless and makes it easier for a pick up and play game like this.

Romulus

I think in alot of ways Quest 3 feels several years newer than psvr2. Love psvr in general and believe it has games that nothing else can deliver because of Sony 1st party.
But man the quest 3 lenses, wireless, MR, retro emulation, and pcvr option are so damn good.

Last edited:
I think in alot of ways Quest 3 feels several years newer than psvr2. Love psvr in general and believe it has games that nothing else can deliver because of Sony 1st party.
But man the quest 3 lenses, wireless, MR, retro emulation, and pcvr option are so damn good.
I believe the main killer features are AR + wireless. Without AR I would not even bother buying it. Not to mention it being able to work independently.

Last edited:

TwinB242

Im surprised to see so much love for the mixed reality cameras. I know it depends on your lighting conditions but the quality has been awful in my experience.

MarkMe2525

Im surprised to see so much love for the mixed reality cameras. I know it depends on your lighting conditions but the quality has been awful in my experience.
I find that it's not great for walking around, but once in a MR app the sub optimal passthrough is satisfactory and works great. It seems many share this sentiment.

MarkMe2525

I don't know why I did this, but I got like 35 games on this recent sale. I am all in on this VR stuff.
Same thing, I received a little over $400 in store credit and have burned through half of it this past month. I now have more software than I have time to experience it all. Not complaining, I just didn't expect this to be the case.

Tangerine

Trover saves the universe is funny so far. Wish rick and Morty vr game was localised for the quest.

I've recently been enjoying Gazzlers, ark and ade, trover.

I also nabbed into the radius but haven't tried that yet.

draliko

In the end i bit the bullet and ordered a quest3, what are the mandatory games to have? On teh q2 I had already beat saber, pistol whip, Vader immortal, keep talking and nodoby explodes, super hot and I expect you to die... Is there anything that set apart Q3 from Q2? Thanks

darthvargi

In the end i bit the bullet and ordered a quest3, what are the mandatory games to have? On teh q2 I had already beat saber, pistol whip, Vader immortal, keep talking and nodoby explodes, super hot and I expect you to die... Is there anything that set apart Q3 from Q2? Thanks
There are tons of games you still should try:

1. Red Matter 2
2. Assassin's Creed Nexus
3. Asgards Wrath 2 (comes with quest 3)
4. Racket Club
5. Outta Hand
6. Moss book 1&2
7. Synth Riders
8. Eleven Table Tennis
9. Resist
10. Dungeons of Eternity

I could go on and on

Hot5pur

Major difference would be mixed reality. Outside of that functionally the Q3 is a beefed up Q2, same games just prettier and no need to hunt for sweet spot.

Alpha Male

Now that the sale is over, here is a headset activation referral code - $60 for Quest 3 and $30 for Quest 2 - as well as some more 25% game discount codes. You must accept the referral code BEFORE you activate a new headset or purchase a game

Referral codes are good for 7 days but can be accepted again after 7 days

Quest headset referral code:

Guardians Frontline

The Room VR

Red Matter 1

Moss Book 2

Asgard's Wrath 2

Asgard's Wrath 1 - only playable on The Rift or PC

Last edited:
I’m about to pull the trigger on VR lenses from:

Anyone else try them? Do you notice a difference from when wearing normal glasses?
Yea I bought a Zenni pair. Pretty simple to order. they just snap in and they got my prescription correct.
The only issue and it's a small one, is they are difficult to remove witout fear your going to crack them. They are thin. I wish they were magnetic.

Don't have to worry about glasses, frames or looking through top and bottom of my glasses anymore. Just put the headset on and I'm good.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I’m about to pull the trigger on VR lenses from:

Anyone else try them? Do you notice a difference from when wearing normal glasses?
Yes. They snap in and work fine, and honestly a way better solution than cramming your glasses in there. Also easy to snap out if someone else is using them, and comes with a carrying case. Overpriced, but do the job.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Yes. They snap in and work fine, and honestly a way better solution than cramming your glasses in there. Also easy to snap out if someone else is using them, and comes with a carrying case. Overpriced, but do the job.
I think I also need them for ease of mind. I have a fear that my glasses will scratch the lenses on the Quest 3.

SiahWester

The dead pixels and mura have really destroyed my enjoyment of this headset. It has just been endless exchanges. I'm either the unluckiest MF on the planet or Meta has some serious quality control issues. I have given up for now. Hopefully they get it together so I can buy it without issues down the line.

Great headset though. Love the new lenses, that alone is worth the price imo.

The dead pixels and mura have really destroyed my enjoyment of this headset. It has just been endless exchanges. I'm either the unluckiest MF on the planet or Meta has some serious quality control issues. I have given up for now. Hopefully they get it together so I can buy it without issues down the line.

Great headset though. Love the new lenses, that alone is worth the price imo.

It’s not just you - their quality control is terrible. There are a bunch of Reddit posts of people discussing the Mura issues. I got two Amazon headsets - both had what I considered unacceptable Mura. It was really distracting. I got a third one from Best Buy, and I’d say it’s about 70% better. So I kept it.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
My prescription lenses are out for delivery. I’ve been holding off on playing my Quest 3 until they arrived.

Just in time for the 3D emulation that launches this weekend.

My prescription lenses are out for delivery. I’ve been holding off on playing my Quest 3 until they arrived.

Just in time for the 3D emulation that launches this weekend.
Now you get to pull out all the lens cleaning stuff and meticulously clean the hell out of the lenses before putting on the prescriptions.
Is that a tiny speck of dust I see?

demigod

So I’m looking at the comparisons for Quest 2 vs Quest 3. The specs do not justify paying $540 with for a minor resolution upgrade. Am I wrong GAF?

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Now you get to pull out all the lens cleaning stuff and meticulously clean the hell out of the lenses before putting on the prescriptions.
Is that a tiny speck of dust I see?
I did that with my glasses already. The reason I got them is to prevent my glasses from possibly scratching the pancake lenses.

thief183

So I’m looking at the comparisons for Quest 2 vs Quest 3. The specs do not justify paying $540 with for a minor resolution upgrade. Am I wrong GAF?
It is on another level actually, AR, resolution, FOV, better controller, and better performance....

Minsc

Gold Member

Buy one from a retailer like Best Buy and return it if you don't think it is. Most find it quite a jump, but not everyone. Pancake lens gives you no sweet spot (almost always in focus, no aligning) and full edge to edge clarity so you can look around at the corners of the image with only your eyes (not moving your head to recenter the view) and everything is still perfectly clear. And stuff like a speaker improvement so headphones aren't needed and so forth. Just all around better in almost every way, similar to the Deck > OLED Deck, but even more so.

Romulus

Yeah its not just higher resolution, the chip inside the Quest 3 can render higher settings on top of higher resolution.

Asgards Wrath 2 is getting a higher resolution texture pack this month, so in that case, higher resolution, higher LOD, better draw distance and better fps on top of pancake lenses and FOV increase. Not to mention MR, which is awful on Quest 2.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Turns out that, based on previews, Bulletstorm VR kind of sucks, which is a bummer as this is one of the best single player FPS games and I thought VR would go well with the game's combat. Oh well.
They have butchered the conversion. It’s a hard pass for me and I was really looking forward to it.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Man. My new lenses came just in time!

Also, thanks to the guy that used my promo code for Powerwash Simulator. I hope you like it as much as I do.

Hot5pur

I think Quest version of bulletstorm has graphics problems and generally looks poor. PCVR version might be fine, but why no cross buy on Quest/Rift? Like 25% discount would encourage many people to buy off Oculus than steam on day 1, especially for these one and done kind of games. Devs are dumb not to put things on the Oculus store

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Holy shit. The prescription lenses are amazing. The goggles feel way more comfortable without my huge frames. Fucking game changing.

Might be a placebo effect, but the visuals look even crisper with the lenses than my normal glasses with the same prescription.

phant0m

you are very wrong dude. the controllers are much improved, the passthrough (and thus AR) is vastly better than what Quest 2 could do, it has a better GPU (2x quest 2), more RAM and as you mentioned, better resolution.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
None of the versions of Bulletstorm have enemy shadows. This is 2024. Team Beef ports run native on quest and look better.

It’s a really poor effort.

cyberheater

I’m not hearing good things about BulletStorm VR.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I’m not hearing good things about BulletStorm VR.
I've only seen one video on it about first impressions and it was pretty rough. Apparently the Quest version specifically looks fucking awful.

On top of that is just the overall gameplay, but that's more subjective on how one enjoys the original game and or titles from that generation.

Romulus

Yeah after playing nonstop AAA games with unreal injector VR, bulletstorm is a easy pass. I would wager the injector feels better than their port of the game in many cases.

I loved my Quest 2! It’s a bit warn down now from so much use. I want to hand it down to my girlfriend and get a quest 3 so we can play some Walkabout mini golf together!

I cant decide between the 128gb and the 512gb,

Romulus

Pretty much the only case for 128gb imo is if you know for sure you'll just be using PCVR for most everything.

Top Bottom