• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta Quest 3 | OT + Review Thread |

Any suggestions for a good strap with battery pack? I'm looking at a Northquest VR but it's 110$, there's a Aubika at 79$ canadian...on amazon!

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
If I may make a suggestion, the first Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners. You won’t go wrong with it on the Quest 3, but the PC version is still a little better. The latest update to the Quest version definitely brought it closer.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I tried Star Fox 64 3D. It ran super slow. Looked great in the emulator.

Pilotwings Resort performed beautifully, but had some major texture issues with them flickering most of the time.

Basically both could not be enjoyed too well. Maybe after an update or two.

Minsc

Gold Member
I tried Star Fox 64 3D. It ran super slow. Looked great in the emulator.

Pilotwings Resort performed beautifully, but had some major texture issues with them flickering most of the time.

Basically both could not be enjoyed too well. Maybe after an update or two.

I imagine they'd both run perfectly on PC VR. Whether through Citra there, or just through Retroarch using a SBS output, pretty sure we got full N64 emulation compatibility like a decade ago or more.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Might I recommend

Also since you have experience with emulators, I highly recommend Team Beef ports. You'll need the steam version of said games such as Doom 3, Jedi Outcast etc, but they're quite amazingly done. Even OG Doom 1 and 2 are awesome.

I’m very much looking forward to the Team Beef port of Quake 4.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Last few clips for Compound. I swear, I’m hooked on this simple shooter. The mutations the modify runs are amazing and definitely mix things up. There’s one that only lets you use a bow.

I have only ever used virtual desktop. And congrats on the best VR headset!

If you wear glasses, get the prescription lenses. It makes a 97% difference.
So I tried playing HL Alyx only with virtual desktop and it said I need to start steamlink....am I doing something wrong ?
I played for maybe 20 min which was amazing!
But I had Vrdesktop open in quest 4 and on my desktop and steamlink ...

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
So I tried playing HL Alyx only with virtual desktop and it said I need to start steamlink....am I doing something wrong ?
I played for maybe 20 min which was amazing!
But I had Vrdesktop open in quest 4 and on my desktop and steamlink ...
The last time I did it, I would open up steam on my pc, start my quest and virtual desktop, then start HL:A. It would launch the Steam vr launcher, then the game. And it just worked.

The last time I did it, I would open up steam on my pc, start my quest and virtual desktop, then start HL:A. It would launch the Steam vr launcher, then the game. And it just worked.
Ah ok! Yeah, that's exactly what it does , it's just funny it gave me a warning right away about gpu memory...I din't even touch the graphic options and I have a 4070ti, but it ran flawlessly

Usb c extension cable and or hub Ok or no For VR?
I only have a USB C port on the back of my PC and would like to extend it around to the front for easier convenient connecting.
I dont have the option on my motherboard for a front usbc header.
Would a USB C hub add noticeable latency? I also thought about a simple extension of maybe .5 to 1 meters.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Why does Beat Saber have barely any songs to buy? I thought it was popular.

My understanding is that PC is the best place for it, as you can download songs and level for free. I don't know if you're familiar with Mob Psycho 100, but the OP is this crazy animation flying through cities and they recreate levels like that on the PC.

So yeah, thousands or tens of thousands of free songs on PC, not so much elsewhere.

Edit: Though it is possible to mod the Quest version to accept custom songs, but I believe it breaks upon each update.

Usb c extension cable and or hub Ok or no For VR?
I only have a USB C port on the back of my PC and would like to extend it around to the front for easier convenient connecting.
I dont have the option on my motherboard for a front usbc header.
Would a USB C hub add noticeable latency? I also thought about a simple extension of maybe .5 to 1 meters.

Try wireless with VD first is my advice. I bought a cable thinking my old 5ghz wifi wouldn't do it any good, and was shocked to find I get a perfect 2400 Mbit signal to the Quest 3, and wireless actually looks better than wired for me.

Last edited:
Try wireless with VD first is my advice. I bought a cable thinking my old 5ghz wifi wouldn't do it any good, and was shocked to find I get a perfect 2400 Mbit signal to the Quest 3, and wireless actually looks better than wired for me.
I have Vitrual Desktop and the wireless works ok, but I have a wife and kids and my wifi isn't always fully available for VR. I don't mind using the cord, I was just wondering if USB extensions and Hubs add latency.

Minsc

Gold Member
I have Vitrual Desktop and the wireless works ok, but I have a wife and kids and my wifi isn't always fully available for VR. I don't mind using the cord, I was just wondering if USB extensions and Hubs add latency.

I don't think a USB 3 hub would add lag, and I use a USB extension with my PS VR2, of course not every usb cord / hub is the same, but I think you'd be ok.

Been watching Youtube reviews on the Apple Vision Pro.

So far the thing I see that I wish the Quest 3 had was that detachable locking cable connector. I know it's proprietary but it's so much better than a USB C port that requires a 90 degree cable and tie down straps.

Sony should have done something like this for the PSVR2 instead of the wire always connected. It's proprietary anyway.

USB C is nice that it can be used everywhere but it's not robust enough for VR cables that are getting tugged around.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I installed the updated Citra 3DS emulator. It’s much improved. Star Fox is a lot better. Audio is still a little messed up, but the gameplay is much better.

It took me some time, but I have the settings where I like them.

I do thing there’s an issue with the dead zone when playing Zelda, when there didn’t use to be. Link can’t run no matter how far I push the switch pro controller stick.

Last edited:

CGNoire

People like different stuff. Forspoken was ass to me. I had more fun playing 20 year old Jedi Outcast with motion controls in VR.

Mods hook me. Re2 remake, cyberpunk are just next level in VR. Currently getting Armored Core 6 to work.
whats a good reliable vr mod for Cyberpunk?

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I always find it strange how emulation works. Like why can I run Ocarina of Time 3D at 10x internal resolution, while Pilotwings Resort struggles at 3x internal resolution.

And there really must be something technically different about Star Fox 64 3D. The latest Citra release specifically calls that game out in some of the graphical settings.

Reallink

I always find it strange how emulation works. Like why can I run Ocarina of Time 3D at 10x internal resolution, while Pilotwings Resort struggles at 3x internal resolution.

And there really must be something technically different about Star Fox 64 3D. The latest Citra release specifically calls that game out in some of the graphical settings.

Doesn't the PC version of Citra support stereoscopic in VR? Why are you struggling on a mobile chip? I imagine any low end gaming PC will run circles around Quest 3 for playing these games.

Last edited:

Romulus

Doesn't the PC version of Citra support stereoscopic in VR? Why are you struggling on a mobile chip? I imagine any low end gaming PC will run circles around Quest 3 for playing these games.

Alot of ppl don't have a low end PC sitting around though.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m without a PC at the moment. I connect to a notebook for side loading stuff. Other than that, that’s all the notebook can do.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Looks cool but not graphically mind blowing like Kayak vr mirage ! It's relaxing too , he probably will want more relaxing games
Real VR Fishing is fantastic. And you can’t go wrong with Walkabout Minigolf.

Many of us have them purchased. Just request a referral code and he can get 25% off. I’d offer mine, but I think it’s someone else’s turn to earn a credit.

Last edited:
Real VR Fishing is fantastic. And you can’t go wrong with Walkabout Minigolf.

Many of us have them purchased. Just request a referral code and he can get 25% off.
Thanks, I have walkabout Minigolf I still haven't tried it yet ! Pc vr really is sometbing else...I was blown away by HL:Alyx! One of the craziest shit I've seen yet!

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Thanks, I have walkabout Minigolf I still haven't tried it yet ! Pc vr really is sometbing else...I was blown away by HL:Alyx! One of the craziest shit I've seen yet!
Totally. HL:A is insanely good. I would say RE4:QE was more fun to play though.

Bonelab is intense, and has tons of user created content that can be side loaded.

So , I have a problem , my quest 3 says the battery is 100% but wont start , it powers on and shutsdown, anyone else have that problem or is it dead , it's pretty much brand new..

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I can’t stop playing Compound. If I’m not fiddling around with 3DS emulation, I’m playing Compound.

I just unlocked the mutation that allows for all enemies to die with 1 hit. Downside to it is that you die with one hit.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Yeah, I bought a head strap with a battery on amazon , both were fully charged so I unplugged them ! Both are saying 100% now and won't turn on
Keep your finger on the power button for over a minute to force a deep shutdown

Top Bottom