• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of The Patriots 2.0 |OT| Kept you waiting, huh?

Nice, it's got a cumulative install option. So if you don't want to spend 8-16 minutes installing all the data at once, you can still install it between chapters but the game wont delete the old data. Not a mind blowing feature, but a nice touch for people who want to experience it the way it was originally released, first time through.

I've still got to finish MGS3 on the HD collection again before I can play this through. I wasn't a fan of Peace Walker, maybe I'll give that another shot once I've re-played MGS4.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
If you want the trophies in the minimum number of playthroughs yes. The platinum requires several anyway though, you should play normally and then follow this to get the rest. Might be better off this way.

Thanks. Might do that, but the game doesn't allow a chapter select once you finish it, right?
:(

Every time you clear the game, you will unlock emblems based upon your stats in that playthrough and specific tasks done. The emblem list is the complete list of emblems and the requirements for each emblem. One trophy will require every emblem to be unlocked. If you want you can choose one of the non-large emblems (Big Boss Emblem and Chicken) such as Panther or Leopard to try and get that first so you'll still only need eight playthroughs. The entire guide is in chronological order of the game BUT the flashbacks, while in order, exclude non-flashback cutscenes and require a knowledge of the cutscenes to know which ones contain the flashbacks so you may encounter some brief spoilers this way. I'll try and spoiler tag any potential spoilers in the flashback sections.

It is highly advisable to NOT look at the guide before you play through the game once already however. I have included the act by act trophies you will acquire along with how to acquire them so if you want you can look at only Act 1 trophy's and where to unlock them but I do advise you playthrough the game unburdened by trophies first.

Big Boss Hard (which I believe is the highest difficulty unlocked right away) is a good balance between difficulty and fun. If The Boss Extreme is unlocked immediately, I advise not starting on that.

That is what I tried to do and I've been searching elsewhere too but before the trophy list it seems that nobody had compiled a complete list of the posters. As such I'm waiting for somebody else to find them. I know where four are located off the top of my head and other sources corroborate these four but I don't know if this is the complete list.

Nice! Thanks! I might do that. Also, thanks for spoiler tagging the stuff. I know it's four years old, but still. :)

I might get some of the Trophies but concentrate more on playing and enjoying it. Also, kudos on the uber-OT. Nice stuff!

I can't believe people make this big of a deal about trophies and/or achievements.

Boggles my mind actually.

I feel the same.
Playing a game again because of trophies? Especially when you didnt want to play it beforehand.

I'm going to replay the game, because it's been a while and I love the game (I don't care much for trophies, I love the install option though), but I believe some people are going to replay this because of trophies and some are going to play it for the first time because of them, this is why I made the thread.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I think I'll just play without trophies in mind and treat this as a first playthrough and just enjoy the damn game. Will start hunting after this.

I got this on release but never completed, the trophies have put it to my must play list and will be the next thing I attempt, Platinum looks like it could be a killer though, so will settle for a decent run through instead. Also have HD remake on the Vita to get through too.

neoemonk

Between the HD collection and this I could probably dedicate the next year of my gaming time to getting Metal Gear Solid platinums.

I've been working on the damn Very Easy dog tags on MGS 2 HD for a while on and off, and I'm still not even up to Fatman yet.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Huh, there's two rations and two "tunnels" to get around the Geckos in the first/opening area. Never noticed those. :lol

d1rtn4p

Anyone know if Sony plans to throw the game up on PSN sometime soon? I'd rather buy it digitally than have to get another physical copy.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Anyone know if Sony plans to throw the game up on PSN sometime soon? I'd rather buy it digitally than have to get another physical copy.
Very few people will buy it considering the download size which should be 30 GB +, so I don't see the point of putting it on PSN.

Santar

Such a real shame they didn't put the gameplay engine to more use in this. The game feels really good when you're running around, sneaking and gunning. Would have been truly awesome if there was some sort of horde mode or something where you could actually play around.

Cornbread78

I'll finally undress my new copy when I'm done playing 2 and 3 on my VITA... I won't go for platinum though with 8 playthroughs needed....

Such a real shame they didn't put the gameplay engine to more use in this. The game feels really good when you're running around, sneaking and gunning. Would have been truly awesome if there was some sort of horde mode or something where you could actually play around.

Indeed, the gameplay feels very solid, I'm impressed by Snakes animation.

Luigi87

Getting the patch now.
It's been quite a wait, but at least this gives me reason to finally replay the game, which is something I've intended to do since I beat it back when it came out, but never did @_@

Oh, and once more kudos to The One Who Knocks!
I'll definitely be referencing your guide as I go for the trophies.

dc89

Sorry for the crappy pic, but these things scare me:

QZRI4.jpg

Theonik

Thanks. Might do that, but the game doesn't allow a chapter select once you finish it, right?
:(
No but you can keep a save at the start of each chapter for that. Though stats will carry over, so it can be used for some chapter specific trophies. Also note the game has a new game+ of sorts so you can keep weapons.

I like how the gold troph for viewing all flashbacks is basically the reward for not skipping any cutscenes.

I won't be trying for the Plat that's for damn sure. That gold though I'd like to get and even that'll be tough for me since I was easily sucked into the story (from what I had played) and wasn't always paying attention to the top corners of my screen.

I like how the gold troph for viewing all flashbacks is basically the reward for not skipping any cutscenes.

It is worth keeping in mind that there is also flashbacks that are not obtained in cutscenes (if these count though, who knows). Most of these are found in Act 4, one is found in Act 2 and the other one is obtainable in Act 1, 2 or 5. In addition to this there is hidden flashbacks (again, it's unknown if these count) so even viewing all cutscenes and triggering all flashbacks when prompted may not earn you the trophy (that would be so cruel...).

Yay, can't wait to get home and install everything and have an excuse to play the game again. Life feels complete now.

LET'S DO THIS!
VPlDP.gif

It is worth keeping in mind that there is also flashbacks that are not obtained in cutscenes (if these count though, who knows). Most of these are found in Act 4, one is found in Act 2 and the other one is obtainable in Act 1, 2 or 5. In addition to this there is hidden flashbacks (again, it's unknown if these count) so even viewing all cutscenes and triggering all flashbacks when prompted may not earn you the trophy (that would be so cruel...).

Oh god I don't even recall coming across any hidden ones. Crikey we'll need a mini guide for that too, unless one is already out there someplace.

Abylim

Amazing guide!
Just realised I'm screwed. I read kill everything, so I killed everything. Including Militia. In future I'll read everything >_>. Ohwell, will keep going and try and get different emblems.
Or just enjoy it. Not incredibly worried about how quickly I get them. Just happier than a pig in shit they exist!

SaitoH

I really want to play, but I'm almost done Peacewalker, have Asura's Wrath to start and next week is Darksiders 2.

I downloaded the patch and am installing, but I'm not sure how much I'll be able to play it right now.

Amazing guide!
Just realised I'm screwed. I read kill everything, so I killed everything. Including Militia. In future I'll read everything >_>. Ohwell, will keep going and try and get different emblems.
Or just enjoy it. Not incredibly worried about how quickly I get them. Just happier than a pig in shit they exist!
Don't worry! It doesn't matter! The only emblem you'll maybe lose access to is "Blue Bird" and "Hawk". These can still be obtained in Act 2, Blue Bird whenever you can give 50 items to Militia and Hawk at the Confinement Facility by getting praised 25 times.

ALSO: It just occured to me that with the Militia Outfit found in the hideout you may still be able to wear it to give them 50 items and receive praise 25 times. It is worth getting the outfit, putting it on and returning back to the Red Zone if it isn't too late, just to check
EDIT: Also, would you be able to PM the sentance that confused you? I will change it and add clarification if required.

neoism

Amazing guide!

first timers hopefully will do this ... I don't even care about trophies but I'm downloading and playing... :/ Wtf is wrong with me gaf.... lol playing on my 80gb Metal Gear Solid 4 Ps3 :)

I beat this game 7 times a launch... :( not sure I can watch all those scenes again.. :/

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm replaying the whole series. I beat MGS1 and I'm about halfway through MGS2 right now (on the HD collection). I can't wait to get to MGS4. I barely remember most of the 4th one at this point, and playing the whole series at once brings the crazy story into perspective. Can't wait for this.

suikodan

Can't wait to (re)play this!!!

Are the transitions between acts faster? Does it impact loading times for the moto chase in Act 3?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
how do I unlock the cloaking suit? Those suits are the best part of MGS games after you beat them once!

Buy it from Drebin for 1million DP or 0 alerts, 0 kills, 5 hours completed, no health items, no bandana or stealth used/Big Boss Emblem run for free.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I really want to play this with trophies... hopefully I get to do it eventually ._.

Top Bottom