• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V Res Confirmed: Sub-720p (PS3/360), 720p (XB1), 1080p (PS4)

I personally believe a lot of people who are saying there is no difference are viewing this on their phone.

I view these shots on my phone and I STILL see the difference. Well, I also looked for a difference and thus found it. Would that count as a form of confirmation bias, just like looking for no difference and seeing no difference?

I view these shots on my phone and I STILL see the difference. Well, I also looked for a difference and thus found it. Would that count as a form of confirmation bias, just like looking for no difference and seeing no difference?

I guess I'm stating that because I was seeing this on my phone and I didn't notice that big of a difference. Watching it on desktop now and damn, I see a lot of detail in the PS4 version that is not present in others. PS3 version is abysmal and makes sense for that $10 cheaper price tag, but damn it'll still sell for that (slightly) disgusting muddy look.

Mackins

The graphics were good, the colour palette, not so much! Haha.

My stand out moments of the full game was at Shadow Moses, piloting Metal Gear Rex and when Super Roid Raiden stopped that Arsenal Gear (Outer Haven) I was like WTF!!! It was far fetched and completely over the top but was soooooo cool.

Demon Ice

Banned
People really think MGS4 looks ugly? I thought it was one of the best looking games on the PS3. And I don't remember it having any major frame rate issues either. Then again I also haven't played it in a few years at this point.

People really think MGS4 looks ugly? I thought it was one of the best looking games on the PS3. And I don't remember it having any major frame rate issues either.

Its a great looking game that has aged well. However, it looks pretty bland and flat compared to so many other amazing games available now. At its release, it was the best.

I really don't understand how people aren't seeing the insane difference between the PS4 version and all the other versions. In that screenshot of snake crouching by the fence it's like looking at an a action figure posed in a diorama. None of the other versions come close.

People really think MGS4 looks ugly? I thought it was one of the best looking games on the PS3. And I don't remember it having any major frame rate issues either. Then again I also haven't played it in a few years at this point.

It got super hyped, so people who have never played the series before played it, expecting a completely different game, and were subsequently pissed off at everything in it.

MGS4 is one ugly-ass game. In the end, it seems KojiPro only managed to produce sub-HD crap on the PS360.

There were some imperfections here and there, but I remember it looking very nice on my HDTV's. Also, MGS4's art direction was of course, amazing. It will never qualify as ugly even when PS5 and PS6 come out.

PG2G

I saw these screenshots on my phone earlier today and was unimpressed, looking at them on my monitor today... still unimpressed.

It looks like your typical HD port.

Would have been nice if they showed the same scenes on all four platforms.

I do. The texture quality is a tiny bit above PS2's, on par with Call of Duty textures. Animation is mostly MGS3's recycled ones for Snake.

MGS4 is still in my top 5 for best graphics. The detail and character models still hold up. Can't defend the piss color filter though. Never liked it. And even though it was very empty Shadow Moses was so damn nice to look at. Get feels every time.

Havel

Never forget:

3G50mKZ.png

Larry's always been a clown.

Yes, that is Major Nelson from 1988 dressed as a clown.

Radec

The transition of cutscenes to actual gameplay in MGS4 is great.

I'm still need to replay MGS2 and MGS3 before I replay that game again fro the Nth time.

Biker19

Banned
Less than admirable is being too kind! Haha

A lot of the gaming press, especially in the UK, still think the performance gap is down to the XBO SDK and think within time it will achieve parity or even surpass the PS4 performance wise.

Only yesterday morning a CVG writer posted saying as much, even compared it to the last gen situation of the PS3's rough start and how it improved once devs learned how to use it and got 84 up votes, I told him he was wrong and explained why and I got down voted.

People are more inclined to believe people who are supposed to be gaming journalists because they're supposed to be in the know, but the truth is, most of them are clueless.

Just goes to show how Microsoft's brainwashed advertising really works well on people. Hopefully, they'll open their eyes & wake up to realize that it's all hogwash.

MGS4 is still in my top 5 for best graphics. The detail and character models still hold up. Can't defend the piss color filter though. Never liked it. And even though it was very empty Shadow Moses was so damn nice to look at. Get feels every time.

ditto. I remember that feeling when the early cutscene with the gekkos transitioned to the actual game....the effect blew me away.

Snake Eater is still my favorite in the series. But there's no denying the ambitiousness of MGS4.

What I said was an opinion: my view about something (MGS4 graphics). Saying that the textures are a little better than PS2 and the animations are recycled from MGS3 is a supposition, not an opinion.

I would also note, what also helped was what MGS4 didn't have compared to a ton of rendering engines at the time; texture pop-up, tearing, and tons of aliasing that plagued so many games; despite being less than 720p standard it was far less jagged than many games that were.

Off-topic, but I've just rewatched the GDC 2013 trailer for Phantom Pain. I'd play this game in 480p. So for all you Xbone users out there, don't be sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw5t45tEPWQ

goosebumps. Kojima should give a seminar on the art of making trailers.

I have no intent on buying GZ when it comes out but I hope it has a new Phantom Pain trailer in it after you finish it.

All (2?) phantom pain trailers where top notch!

I have no intent on buying GZ when it comes out but I hope it has a new Phantom Pain trailer in it after you finish it.

All (2?) phantom pain trailers where top notch!

GZ basically being a fan disk, I hope they include the extras like all the past trailers and artworks etc. If not, I'd be disappointed. A new trailer would be amazing too. None of the compressed 30fps youtube stuff but uncompressed 60fps trailer in its full glory. Another great thing would be a documentary on making of fox engine but that'd be pushing it.

Spaghetti

video will probably end up breaking later today

i've got no idea how kojipro structure their releases though, you'd assume they would attempt to work on los angeles time to make sure the story gets reported by press on the east coast, but the screens released sometime after 9/10pm, right? i guess that's around 3pm japan time too, which we've already passed, so release on wednesday japan time?

... man just fucking release the video.

I know the resolution is always brought up when it comes to next gen system, but I always feel disappointed how the XBone turned out.

After 7 years of 720p, it would seem a no-brainer to at least be capable of 1080p gaming.

At least Sony got it. Which is why it's so hard to justify the higher price.

Top Bottom