• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

I disagree. Other M is a completely different problem than FF.

At the end of the day, Federation Force was just a fart in the wind. It was some low key spinoff that, in hindsight, obviously wasn't being used to determine the fate of the franchise, considering we got two new proper Metroid games (both 2D and Prime) announced not even a year later after it released.

Other M, on the other hand, was meant to be a big deal. It was apart of the "mainline" Metroid series helmed by Sakamoto and was even the first one on a home console since Super Metroid on the SNES (Prime is considered a "side story"). Nintendo put a lot of money into it, collaborating with a bunch of companies for its development and advertising the fuck out of it (with a nice live action commercial)...and it completely blew up in their faces. So much to the point where the series fell back into limbo for like six years.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Pretty awesome that the official reveal trailer has crossed 2m views on Nintendo's channel. Now I just hope this reception also translates to good sales when it's released in September.

I think it will sell really well. It's the first 'real' Metroid in absolute ages, so the fanbase is starved. Plus it looks really good. The only downside is that it's on 3DS

VDenter

Banned
I disagree. Other M is a completely different problem than FF.

It is honestly worse. The only thing i will give it was that the petition to cancel it was dumb and the timing was unfortunate. But the game is so horrible that the only way to have any semblance of fun is to have at least 3-4 players but that is much easier said than done considering how terrible the online is and knowing people who own let alone want to play Federation Force is extremely rare. I am still in shock that Next level developed it. LM2 was great and looked fantastic and FF just looks like garbage. All made worse that even Hunters a 2006 game released on the original DS looks much better. I cant think of a single Nintendo game that is worse and i cant believe there are some people who are defending it.

The game was embarrassing and i dont blame anybody for doubting Tanabe because of it. Of course there is every bit of a chance that he will deliver with Prime 4 but that remains to be seen doubly so since Retro is not working on it.

WonderzL

Banned
It is honestly worse. The only thing i will give it was that the petition to cancel it was dumb and the timing was unfortunate. But the game is so horrible that the only way to have any semblance of fun is to have at least 3-4 players but that is much easier said than done considering how terrible the online is and knowing people who own let alone want to play Federation Force is extremely rare. I am still in shock that Next level developed it. LM2 was great and looked fantastic and FF just looks like garbage. All made worse that even Hunters a 2006 game released on the original DS looks much better. I cant think of a single Nintendo game that is worse and i cant believe there are some people who are defending it.

The game was embarrassing and i dont blame anybody for doubting Tanabe because of it. Of course there is every bit of a chance that he will deliver with Prime 4 but that remains to be seen doubly so since Retro is not working on it.

FF is a spinoff from day 0. Other M was going to be the next big thing after Prime 3.

VDenter

Banned
FF is a spinoff from day 0. Other M was going to be the next big thing after Prime 3.

True but that is not a great excuse for a bad game with a 50 dollar price tag. Plus Nintendo never said it was a spinoff at least to the Prime games. It is more in line with something like Peace Walker for comparison which was a mainline MGS game despite not having a number and tied directly into MGSV narrative wise. Something that Federation Force also seemingly does if the ending to that game is any indication. Its less of a harmless spinoff than people like to admit. It being also the only "Metroid" game released after Other M is even a bigger indication.

TheShinobi

Neo Member
do we need the FF/OM/Tanabe/Sakamoto discussion again?! seriously?
I think people have been discussing that more than the actual gameplay. As far as I can tell the game looks great so far, the only thing im worried about is how balanced the counter will be. Cant wait for September!!

TheMoon

Do we need you to be defensive again? Let people discuss, this is a forum.

I'm being annoyed, not defensive. It's simply a tired topic, especially since we've done the dance in this thread already to exhaustion so there really is no need to dig this up yet again.

Opa-Pa

Pretty awesome that the official reveal trailer has crossed 2m views on Nintendo's channel. Now I just hope this reception also translates to good sales when it's released in September.

I think this launch could be a good opportunity to test Metroid's true popularity without any disadvantages like bad timing or an unpopular platform. I mean the sub-genre the series helped create is already stablished as one of the most popular in the indie space, and people are very, VERY starved for a 2D Metroid, plus the 3DS has a respectable install base and with stuff like the 2DS even people who don't own one already could bite.

I mean, I'm not expecting it to be a mega hit, but it should do decently enough.

Toxi

Banned
That's where I'd disagree: Prime 2 was okay, but a bit stale while Prime 3 was mediocre and threw out what made Prime 1 a great game. Federation Force was unsurprising to me given the trajectory of the Prime series.
Prime 3 is a better Fusion than Fusion.

The games are hilariously similar in their pros and cons. Prime 3 benefits because spectacle on the Wii is a lot more impressive than spectacle on the GBA.

Toxi

Banned
I still can't believe we're getting a real Metroid game within 2 months!

It's been what...10+ years?

not sarcasm
Metroid Prime 3 came out in August of 2007, so almost a decade.

If you mean 2D Metroid, it's been over 13 years since Zero Mission.

Realeza

Banned
Have they released any songs from the game? I remember hearing the music in the E3 demo, which gave me an insta-boner (Metroid Prime style).

Toxi

Banned
Have they released any songs from the game? I remember hearing the music in the E3 demo, which gave me an insta-boner (Metroid Prime style).
No. I did love what I heard of the remix of Metroid 2's intro theme.

There's a Lower Norfair remix later in the demo, so expect remixes of more than just Metroid 2 tracks. And it's glorious Kenji Yamamoto and Minako Hamano.

Regiruler

That's where I'd disagree: Prime 2 was okay, but a bit stale while Prime 3 was mediocre and threw out what made Prime 1 a great game. Federation Force was unsurprising to me given the trajectory of the Prime series.

You have that completely backwards. Prime 1 is mediocre with no great ideas to call its own: done to death environments and bland enemy encounters. Prime 3 is the exact opposite: fantastic game mechanics, great environments, and really fun encounters.

Outside of the final boss, there's nothing Prime does better than 2 or 3. Outside of writing and lore Federation Force is better.

Realeza

Banned
You have that completely backwards. Prime 1 is mediocre with no great ideas to call its own: done to death environments and bland enemy encounters. Prime 3 is the exact opposite: fantastic game mechanics, great environments, and really fun encounters.

Outside of the final boss, there's nothing Prime does better than 2 or 3. Outside of writing and lore Federation Force is better.

Fucking lmao. Prime 1 is anything but mediocre.

VDenter

Banned

I can only assume that this post is a joke?....

hatchx

Banned

This is a joke right?

The game has a 97 on metacritic bro and if gaf did a 'GOAT' vote, it would for sure be in the top 10.

You are entitled to your opinion I guess, but holy moly, I feel bad for you for not appreciating the GOAT.

Regiruler

I can only assume that this post is a joke?....

Why does it sound like a joke?

Prime 1 is vastly overrated. Prime 2 is better in every way. I think Prime 3 is largely better as well, and FF about the same level given its strengths and weaknesses.

Orange. Colored. Pirates.

B A I T

Regiruler

On the game at hand: do we have any idea what the frame timing is for the parry? If it's too easy that could outright break the game.

I saw there seems to be a hard mode? I would hope it reduces the parry window.

Toxi

Banned
On the game at hand: do we have any idea what the frame timing is for the parry? If it's too easy that could outright break the game.

I saw there seems to be a hard mode? I would hope it reduces the parry window.
Only certain attacks can be parried, so that will hopefully be a balancing factor.

Ridley327

It's literally produced by Nintendo.

I mean, given the weird status it has as far as IP ownership is concerned, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that some people view it differently than they do Metroid, which is a 100% Nintendo IP. I'm not one of those people, mind you, but I'm just covering the other angle.

Regiruler

Only certain attacks can be parried, so that will hopefully be a balancing factor.

There needs to be a reasonable balance though so that you're still using it though.

My biggest concern is that the bosses seem too easy and boring, but I guess that's what happens with a remake of a GB game. I would hope there's a new boss in there as well.

TheMoon

Isn't it a remake? Just like this game?

Not to the same degree, which is why I don't count it as a "big" (deal) release. Same reason I haven't mentioned Sushi Striker. That's arguably a bigger deal since it's a new IP launch. MSR is "big" because everything is completely redone from scratch and has gotten a complete overhaul and new content along with reviving a sub-series of a major franchise and Sakamoto's first non-Mii game in the better part of a decade. It's got a bit of a different status to those other games in terms of being a big deal.

Top Bottom