• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

Jucksalbe

Banned
It definitely isn't unlocked just by beating the game or else the amiibo wouldn't make any sense.
It doesn't say if it can be unlocked in a different way.

GeekyDad

Sounds like it's all still speculation right now. And honestly, none of that would bother me, really, if getting a hold of one of these damned toys wasn't so difficult. Really not understanding Nintendo's strategy with these toys since their inception. The seemingly insane shortage of these things doesn't compute. Seems like they're leaving money on the table. But then again, I'm not a rich guy, and what I know about making money is pretty much nothing -- well above my pay grade.

But...even if I don't get to play this "Fusion" mode, I doubt it'll be the end of the world. I'm very, very much looking forward to this game, so I won't worry too much about it. It doesn't even seem clear yet what that mode will actually entail.

Toxi

Banned
IIRC enemies deal more damage in Fusion and the X Parasites don't give much back to you. It has more difficult bosses, too. There was no difficulty setting in the western versions though, so there's that.
X Parasites restore plenty, but you take a lot of damage. It also has the wonderful 1% run, aka masochism mode.

Mael

X Parasites restore plenty, but you take a lot of damage. It also has the wonderful 1% run, aka masochism mode.

I think I managed to get to the spider (you know the one).
But then you practically need to beat that boss without being hit.
Very tense way of playing the game...I should try to do that again...

Toxi

Banned
I think I managed to get to the spider (you know the one).
But then you practically need to beat that boss without being hit.
Very tense way of playing the game...I should try to do that again...
The spider isn't anywhere near as bad as Nightmare and Ridley.

Those two made me nearly break my GBA.

Neiteio

This amiibo news is rather unfortunate. Until now this game's press has been 110% positive. It's obvious the game itself will be awesome, but it tarnishes the game's image a bit to lock stuff that was previously standard behind expensive (and possibly hard to find) pieces of plastic. And I say this as someone who owns more than 50 amiibo (Guardian and Cloud P2 arriving this week!).

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
This amiibo news is rather unfortunate. Until now this game's press has been 110% positive. It's obvious the game itself will be awesome, but it tarnishes the game's image a bit to lock stuff that was previously standard behind expensive (and possibly hard to find) pieces of plastic. And I say this as someone who owns more than 50 amiibo (Guardian and Cloud P2 arriving this week!).
Get an amiibo spoofer if its that annoying to you.
I own 4 amiibo's

I just bought one. I've got the Metroid Amiibo on order so it's not because of that directly but the whole situation is just so frustrating. I admit it's morally a bit shit though.

Am i wrong to want to just download and play AM2R instead of this?

Before you flame me, I really resent having to play this on a handheld. I wanna play Metroid 2 on my TV.

Stoze

Before you flame me, I really resent having to play this on a handheld. I wanna play Metroid 2 on my TV.
I mean you could just play both, they are completely different from each other. One is also not out for a couple months.

Toxi

Banned

Yes, it is wrong. This plays nothing like AM2R and looks to be a step forward for 2D Metroid in general.

Larger pics of the Special Edition & CD for Japan

iw7ULrn.jpg

5m9Q409.jpg

Realeza

Banned
Just a little over a month until this comes out. IGN NVC had new impressions mentioning that the game is fucking awesome and looks amazing.

gogojira

Definitely excited. I plan on finally updating my 3DS to a New 3DSXL in time for release. I was kind of hoping there would be a special edition but no such luck, it seems!

teaser site for the game opened
here. Some details:

- Explore a labyrinth of tunnels, ruins, and subterranean chambers filled with surprises and secrets as you battle your way to the heart of a menacing alien world and try to find and defeat the deadly Metroids.

- Experience the haunting isolation, deep exploration, brutal environments, and fierce battles that hardcore Metroid fans demand with an adventure that’s a perfect entry point into the Metroid storyline and franchise for new players.

- Deepen your immersion with updated SFX and an atmospheric remastered soundtrack arranged by veteran Metroid composers Kenji Yamamoto and Minako Hamano.

LABYRINTH, BRUTAL, ISOLATION, GOD COMPOSERS (sorry moon).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
here. Some details:

- Explore a labyrinth of tunnels, ruins, and subterranean chambers filled with surprises and secrets as you battle your way to the heart of a menacing alien world and try to find and defeat the deadly Metroids.

- Experience the haunting isolation, deep exploration, brutal environments, and fierce battles that hardcore Metroid fans demand with an adventure that’s a perfect entry point into the Metroid storyline and franchise for new players.

- Deepen your immersion with updated SFX and an atmospheric remastered soundtrack arranged by veteran Metroid composers Kenji Yamamoto and Minako Hamano.

Everything sounds so... GOOD!!!

I keep watching the direct feed GameExplain video because the sound design is so good. The game seems to be very Prime-esque in that sense. Super crisp sound effects and gorgeous ambient tracks mean the atmosphere is suitably oppressive and alien. The music for encountering the Metroids is quite menacing. I just love it all.

here. Some details:

Nintendo not mincing words here; they know how high our expectations are.

Top Bottom