• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV: Konami Offline Tax for players who opt out of FOBs

ghostjoke

Banned
Every time I hear something about this game and its online components I feel like I need an indepth wiki with charts and graphs. Glad I got in and out of MGSV before Konami started doing whatever obtuse garbage they're currently at. Even if this isn't a nightmare scenario some people are painting, this lack of information seems designed to panic people into micro-transactions. And now items are going missing? Please let this be incompetency and not maliciousness.

myco666

Dunno if someone wants to start a new thread, but the latest patch has removed both the
Sniper Wolf
Quiet costume and the gold bionic arm. People are speculating its because they want to resell it as DLC, since the DLC release is on the horizon.

That would be a ballsy move if true.

Hope to god that is a bug, cause thats some dirty shit.

Like, it wouldn't make any sense to
sell any quiet-related gear, since you'd lose it when you finish her storyline...
That'd be the ultimate scummy move

RedSwirl

New patch just hit on PC. What does it do?

Edit: People are saying the Sniper Wolf costume for Quiet is gone now.

Dunno if someone wants to start a new thread, but the latest patch has removed both the
Sniper Wolf
Quiet costume and the gold bionic arm. People are speculating its because they want to resell it as DLC, since the DLC release is on the horizon.

lol, wtf is going on with this game.

Phionoxx

The new patch out yet on consoles? I'm on PC.

Perhaps the arms are, as people are reporting in that steam thread they're losing the silver arm as well. So we'll see. It doesn't look good though. Why would it remove the outfit as well? Why only those three items? Seems very specific is all. 3 purely cosmetic options.

That's a bunch of BS if that is true. The silver arm in particular as that is tied to (a lengthy) in game unlock requirements.

wow. i think thats new thread worthy.

i think we should keep making them whenever konami does another thing scummy if not to just annoy their social media people

Aren't the arms tied to having a GZ save?

Yeah. But re importing doesn't re-add them according to those on reddit/steam forums that have tried. Seems if you don't try to remove and re-equip them (which I foolishly did) they stay on your character. So if you have the costume or arms equipped I'd advise not to remove them until this gets sorted/figured out.

The new patch out yet on consoles? I'm on PC.

Perhaps the arms are, as people are reporting in that steam thread they're losing the silver arm as well. So we'll see. It doesn't look good though. Why would it remove the outfit as well? Why only those three items? Seems very specific is all. 3 purely cosmetic options.
No patch from what I could see. I would think with this game being more console focus it would be out already.

KarmaCow

Yeah. But re importing doesn't re-add them according to those on reddit/steam forums that have tried. Seems if you don't try to remove and re-equip them (which I foolishly did) they stay on your character. So if you have the costume or arms equipped I'd advise not to remove them until this gets sorted/figured out.

How bizarre. If it was just the arms I would have thought it would have been an unintended break with GZ save data confirmation but the
Sniper Wolf costume
being gone too is just weird. Anything about the D-Horse costume?

The worst part is that there are no patch notes.

Spaghetti

yeah, just checked for myself. sniper wolf and gold arm are gone.

how weird is that.

still have the silver arm, but i've not yet developed it so maybe that was what kept it on my save.

BTails

Damn, I literally just unlocked the
Sniper Wolf costume for Quiet
last night. Isn't even done developing yet. Hoping this is just a bug, you think the negativity from removing it to sell as DLC would outweigh the few sales.

I'm still enjoying the hell out of the game, but it makes me uneasy how much of the game is being manipulated post-launch.

koryuken

I am so mindfucked. How is anyone actually defending this idiotic shit from Konami. Its clearly a F2P type scheme to get people to buy "insurance" and other stupid DLC. How is there a defense force for this?

I am so mindfucked. How is anyone actually defending this idiotic shit from Konami. Its clearly a F2P type scheme to get people to buy "insurance" and other stupid DLC. How is there a defense force for this?

Because there's a defense force for just about everything. There was an even a defense force for that shitty Arkham Knight PC port.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If that was true wouldn't it be patched out of the console versions?

When were the console versions last patched? Certification processes can take several days to complete, so unless Konami held back the PC patch to coincide with the release of the console patches, they could still be en route.

MGS is my favourite series ever, but man am I glad I finished up with MGSV and got rid of it. Loved the game, but every single piece of news is worse than the last. Insurance, offline tax, now removed items? Seriously insane.

When were the console versions last patched? Certification processes can take several days to complete, so unless Konami held back the PC patch to coincide with the release of the console patches, they could still be en route.
The patch apparently contains the DLC, which is supposed to gon on sale this week. So consoles should get it as well

Did Konami lose a shit ton of money on this game? I can't imagine being so desperate for money that you'll steal back content to resell it as DLC. Even for shady microtransaction schemes, that's extreme. (Assuming this isn't just a glitch, of course.)

Spaghetti

Did Konami lose a shit ton of money on this game? I can't imagine being so desperate for money that you'll steal back content to resell it as DLC. Even for shady microtransaction schemes, that's extreme.
nearly $180 million dollars of revenue on the first day, likely started making a profit within the first week.

but again, let's not jump the gun on the idea they're looking to sell this content back to us. konami have taken the cake with their microtransaction economy for mgsv, but doing that is taking the cake, table, chairs, cutlery, and anything that isn't bolted down. i would like to believe that the reselling idea is not something an actual human being would have.

I just want an option to bring Quiet back on xbone. Haven't gone back to the game since finishing it. Tried to do a side op with D-dog, but it's not the same. Whyyyyyyyyy Kojima, whyyyyyyy????

O.DOGG

I still have the Quiet costume equipped so I can still use it but it's not available to select from the menu so if I switch it for another it'll be gone. The golden arm is gone. The silver arm is still in the game and selectable. I think it may be an unintentional bug. I hope they fix it.

Ashura_MX

Here's hoping I get to laugh at all people with pitchforks about gold-arm and costume, when it does not come as DLC.

Having said that, its fucking stupid they decided to "fix" that, regardless of intentions.

The flipside is I get to laugh at Konami if they indeed release it as DLC, some companies just want to see themselves burn to the ground.

Keihart

If i lose conection while supending/resuming the game, does it takes GMP? i hope not because that would be awful, i always suspend the game and don't re-connect because that is too much hassle to only get longer loading times.

Chev

Could be a bug. That latest patch introduced several for me, like guards who can see through walls or marked guards that flicker in and out of existence when going through doors.

Maybe it's a glitch? I doubt they would remove the gold arm to resell it because that would cause nothing but negativity. Let's not jump to conclusions till something is said.

It may or may not be true, but Konami is in a unique position where they don't seem to care about salting the earth. Might as well piss off your player base to squeeze out a few last bucks when you have no intentions of making another AAA game ever again. What we see before us is a gambling company who seems willing to go nuclear.

Nose Master

This is a long con by Kojima and Konami, right? They're trying to be the literal worst with micro transactions on a full retail product to expose it to the general public? Right?

DavidTennantlaughing.gif~c200

Trojan

What the fuck is going on with this game? Konami is going scorched earth with MGSV.

While its complete garbage they would be this deceptive, it's somewhat fascinating to watch this play out...no other major company has intentionally given such a big finger to the community on their way out. Will be interesting to see if this has much of an effect on general sales.

What the fuck is going on with this game? Konami is going scorched earth with MGSV.

While its complete garbage they would be this deceptive, it's somewhat fascinating to watch this play out...no other major company has intentionally given such a big finger to the community on their way out. Will be interesting to see if this has much of an effect on general sales.

They want you to want them to stop making games. I'd say it's working. You are right though, it is interesting. I'd be curious to learn the truth behind development in a few years when the appropriate people are finally allowed to talk about it.

brau

wow... really? that is quite a bit of GMP. 250k. holy bananas. Is this deducted per session? or per day?

It may or may not be true, but Konami is in a unique position where they don't seem to care about salting the earth. Might as well piss off your player base to squeeze out a few last bucks when you have no intentions of making another AAA game ever again. What we see before us is a gambling company who seems willing to go nuclear.

Maybe Konami has decided to become a microtransaction deterrent, and MGSV is their Peace Walker. They'll take microtransactions so far, the whole world will be soured on them.

KOJIMA: But isn't deterrence supposed to stop microtransactions from being used?!
KONAMI: Exactly. And so the ones we put in will be the last ones...ever.

SMZC

To all of you who want to keep your resources in your possession, you might not want to risk getting online ever again. After loading the game this morning I found that Konami had decided overnight, apparently via the new PS4 hot fix, to transfer around 90% of all of my offline resources to the online storage. Most of my stock of around 50,000 diamonds was instantly transferred to my FOB, leaving me with just around 4,000 in the offline storage. So basically I can't sell or do shit with the stuff that is supposedly mine.

Thankfully I closed the game immediately, and since it hadn't saved yet, all my diamonds are still with me if I load the game in offline mode. But seriously, fuck this shit a thousand times over. This shit that Konami is pulling off is ridiculous on so many levels. Personally, I know I'm playing this game exclusively in offline mode from here on out.

Top Bottom