• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV: Konami Offline Tax for players who opt out of FOBs

Every Metal Gear Solid V thread I read makes me more and more glad that I passed on the game.

That's a shame as the gameplay itself is literally the best ever made. Second to only Souls/Platinum stuff depending on whom you ask.

But I don't blame you now that Konami's actively screwing everyone.

Can the GMP ever go into the negative as a result of it?

No, it will never make you go negative. It only takes a portion of your offline GMP and moves it online. What happens eventually is that your total GMP pool gets bigger because you can have up to 5m offline GMP and I think up to 5m online GMP. So in a way its a good thing if you farm lots of resources and hit the 5m cap regularly (like me).

Also, for all you guys who are worried about getting your shit jacked online all you have to do is not complete the FOB tutorial. You will get all the benefits of FOB and never get invaded. I'm building up my FOBs and base security to the point where eventually they will be level 40 or so so and finish the FOB tutorial. At level 40 your FOB is pretty much uninvadable and you dont even have to defend it.

A statement like "I think the whole playing offline thing is silly" is meaningless and adds nothing to a discussion. I don't care what you think about playing offline. I should be able to play the game how I want, full stop, period, the end, end of debate.
It offers a different opinion from what seems to be most people in this thread. You may not like but I see nothing meaningless about it.
Saying something like "I should be able to play the game how I want, full stop, period, the end, end of debate." adds nothing to discussion because apparently it isn't one. Also that's not how most games work.

Astery

Plenty of people bitch about it as you can see this thread.

Looking at all stories with any exposure that sprung from that same update. It's nothing but FOB insurance. As I said, Konami succeed in switching the bait in a less bad one. Still bad, but much more acceptable in terms with the mobile space and it as a new introduction of "feature". Tweaking the resource pool to this extent is not a new "feature" but a stealth change that only fucks w the players for Konami's gain via basically forcing you online or get gimped.

Coketruck

Yup. Your resources and GMP are not lost, they're just online. It's pretty scummy, they're forcing everyone to put stuff at risk for their goddamn FOB money scheme.

Still a great game, but I've stopped giving a fuck about my resources because of the online.

Yeah, it sucks. I'm not even at the point where the FOB has been introduced, and the game is still locking a huge portion of my resources and about half my GMP online. Awful.

Skux

1 million GMP honestly isn't that much. Just sell some precious metals.

Every Metal Gear Solid V thread I read makes me more and more glad that I passed on the game.

The truth is you were never interested in buying it in the first place.

KingBroly

Banned
I did Mission 22, but I never did the FOB Tutorial. It tries to get me to do it, and I can't get out of the menu when I try, so I no longer play the game online to get the daily rewards. Whoever thought being able to lose your resources is either a massive idiot or a very spiteful bastard, because it's something that I, and probably a lot of players simply don't want to get involved with. There's simply not much upside to it. It's prohibitive as hell and is just a major black mark on the game because it tries to suck you in every time.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member

Buy it used. Don't apply the patch. Have a blast for 100 hours or so. Sell the game back.

UCBooties

It's Konami bruh. Nobody is surprised by any shit they pull. Which is why they can fuck right off and leave this industry.

I90Y0qh.jpg

Spaghetti

it seems konami is more intent to cattle prod players into the FOB ecosystem rather than give them a more legitimately enticing reason to engage.

stinks of money men decisions in the worst possible way.

my goty right now

i am not afraid of losing my online resources, im not buying any insurance, come at me, take every videogame jeep i own see if i care

goty. im serious

They're only coming after your money. You know, the thing that is the crux of progression in MGSV.

It's a hostile, anti-player change squarely aimed to make more money at the expense of its player. This is the sort of garbage you see in free-to-play games, not full-price, multi-million-dollar, AAAA+ releases.

It's appalling on all fronts and no one should defend it. Ever. It doesn't matter how good the game is, this action taints it forever. It changes the conversation from "this game is great, but" to "this game would be great, but"

ALM5252

I haven't updated to the newest patch, so should I still be good? Been playing offline ever since I got the game on launch. Haven't seen the GMP go down everytime I've played.

wow what a shitty thing to do. fuck konami man. i wish they didn't own the rights to MGS. its a shame its going to die with them and that MGS5 has to suffer because of them.

Giever

A statement like "I think the whole playing offline thing is silly" is meaningless and adds nothing to a discussion. I don't care what you think about playing offline. I should be able to play the game how I want, full stop, period, the end, end of debate.

That statement is literally not meaningless, and it's subjective whether or not you find it adds anything of value to the discussion. From my understanding of the situation this thing seems to be bullshit, so I agree with you right now, but what that dude said was 100% a valid opinion and was fine to voice in a discussion like this.

megalowho

It's appalling on all fronts and no one should defend it. Ever. It doesn't matter how good the game is, this action taints it forever.
Eh. I can find stuff like this (and other parts of MGSV) distasteful and insidious while still recognizing it was the most fun I had playing a game this year.

KarmaCow

Well I'm glad I wrung everything I wanted from the game before this patch. Konami is actively making the game worse for future players.

They're only coming after your money. You know, the thing that is the crux of progression in MGSV.

It's a hostile, anti-player change squarely aimed to make more money at the expense of its player. This is the sort of garbage you see in free-to-play games, not full-price, multi-million-dollar, AAAA+ releases.

It's appalling on all fronts and no one should defend it. Ever. It doesn't matter how good the game is, this action taints it forever.
Huh. I'm playing it right and it's doesn't feel like that, like at all. So, I guess I'm "defending" it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
LMAOOO, all the people that complain about FOB shit are the ones that haven't even played

Or ones that have played, dealt with hackers, and still think Konami's bait and switch of "TOTALLY OPTIONAL MODE. PROMISE" is scuzzy.

Fuck off with your dismissal, Junior.

bobawesome

If you're on the fence about a game and GAF threads of all things are what push you over the edge to not purchase something, I feel sorry for you. Anyone who's spent more than a day on this forum knows it's perhaps the most hyperbolic place to discuss games.

It offers a different opinion from what seems to be most people in this thread. You may not like but I see nothing meaningless about it.
Saying something like "I should be able to play the game how I want, full stop, period, the end, end of debate." adds nothing to discussion because apparently it isn't one. Also that's not how most games work.

Don't you know that every anti-Konami thread is little more than a hug box?

Or ones that have played, dealt with hackers, and still think Konami's bait and switch of "TOTALLY OPTIONAL MODE. PROMISE" is scuzzy.

Fuck off with your dismissal, Junior.

O boi u got him

Toparaman

Banned
OP have you tried just declining the agreement at the beginning of each game launch and seeing if anything changes? I'll double check tonight, but I don't think this is happening to me. Hell, I haven't even gotten the FOB tutorial yet, and I'm on mission 42.

Kerned

Banned
Can you explain how forcing a large percentage of people's GMP and resources into an online-only pool benefits the player?

KTO

IDK I don't see the outrage.
I'm all for the OP playing the game how he wants, but Konami has basically created an ecosystem with FOBs and moving more resources online makes it more beneficial to raid. So the real question is: Should OP be able to play the game the way he wants at the expense of the people who want to use all the features?

Personally, I think OP should just grow a pair, and build a 4/4 command platform with drones and sensors and leave it on max alert. 19/20 people wouldn't mess with it anyway and OP is massively overvaluing the staff he has.

I'm all for the OP playing the game how he wants, but Konami has basically created an ecosystem with FOBs and moving more resources online makes it more beneficial to raid. So the real question is: Should OP be able to play the game the way he wants at the expense of the people who want to use all the features?

Personally, I think OP should just grow a pair, and build a 4/4 command platform with drones and sensors and leave it on max alert. 19/20 people wouldn't mess with it anyway and OP is massively overvaluing the staff he has.
Yes.

Kerned

Banned

What are you talking about? How does anyone choosing to play offline affect people choosing to play online? That makes no sense.

epmode

I can't.

GAF, I can't.

You can't be real.

Skux

Agreed. Once you get into the swing of things, you'll realise that any losses from FOB invasions are actually negligible. 20k fuel isn't that much when you can farm it back in a single player mission in under 5 minutes.

Lolcomin

Banned
Oh please.

Anyway Konami is the worst. This shit is insane and soured me from wanting to even play the game.

Lmao so you haven't even tried to know that the people in this thread are crying bloody mary over this mode that isn't 1/100 bad as people say it is. You shouldn't even have an opinion then cause you haven't even played

He doesn't want to use one of the game's features because it brings tension that he doesn't want, and Konami is forcing him to do so. I mean who likes losing stuff? People like being challenged sure but I'm fairly sure no one likes losing stuff unwillingly.

Kindekuma

Banned
Agreed. Once you get into the swing of things, you'll realise that any losses from FOB invasions are actually negligible. 20k fuel isn't that much when you can farm it back in a single player mission in under 5 minutes.

Please tell me how.
Seriously where can I find that much fuel.

My main reason for not going offline is simple, the menu lags so much that it takes triple the usual time to move between menus.

Worse when my connection is inconsistent because my nephews are watching YouTube, and that shit doesn't make sense because I just want to play single player.

OP have you tried just declining the agreement at the beginning of each game launch and seeing if anything changes? I'll double check tonight, but I don't think this is happening to me. Hell, I haven't even gotten the FOB tutorial yet, and I'm on mission 42.

You should accept the agreement, just dont finish the tutorial. Disconnect your internet connection every time you get the prompt and reconnect. You wont get the prompt if you are not in the ACC and you will never be invaded as long as you dont finish the tutorial. You will never be able to develop certain items without an FOB.

Konami just showing us all whats next in the world of microtransactions and f2p systems.

I think its fair to call MGS V a full on scam at this point, and Konami a den of deceitful ... bastards. I never would have given these folks a solitary dime had I known what they had in store in the way of post-release updates and offers.

Post-release updates with microtransactional bullshit needs to end, like now.

I'm sure this is true but I really don't want to farm in a metal gear game.

KTO

What are you talking about? How does anyone choosing to play offline affect people choosing to play online? That makes no sense.

Him playing offline doesn't, but what he's actually complaining about is the shift of resources from offline to online. Moving these resources online makes it way more beneficial for people to raid.

Konami just showing us all whats next in the world of microtransactions and f2p systems.

I think its fair to call MGS V a full on scam at this point, and Konami a den of deceitful ... bastards. I never would have given these folks a solitary dime had I known what they had in store in the way of post-release updates and offers.

Post-release updates with microtransactional bullshit needs to end, like now.
Let's hope it continues to all games.

Top Bottom