• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV: Konami Offline Tax for players who opt out of FOBs

KingBroly

Banned
It should be kinda obvious how desperately Konami wants people to invest in the FOB system when they patched in INSURANCE for people that don't want to lose their resources while playing online.

Skux

Thanks for not being lazy like I was. These are them. After this, put yourself in the back of a truck while you're at work or sleeping and watch your process materials skyrocket.

I've got your post bookmarked and have been doing the same haha.

Also, make sure you disconnect from online before you leave Snake in a truck, if you get disconnected the game will pause.

Replicant

Pretty sure after the last patch Konami decrease the amount of resources you can have offline, and shifted more resources to the online FOB.

Of course they also introduced Online Insurance for resources in the FOBs.

FuckKonami

Okay, this is fucking dirty and nasty. I don't want to have to play online if I don't want to. When was the latest patch deployed? Can I not install it?

You know, crap like this makes me happy that I just dropped this game cold turkey after finishing the so called ending. I honestly wouldn't care if I logged in one day to see zero gmp.

Personally its overall the worst metal gear :'(

Yooooo this shit is crazy. I don't plan on playing MGSV but have heard lots about it and had to check this thread out.

How very deceptive of Konami to start bombarding this game with shit missles after all the reviews have been published. FOB insurance and now this... shit is fucked.

Cartman86

Banned
I'm currently chewing through peace walker and ground zeroes in order to be caught up in preparation to play TPP.

It sounds like a heavily compromised game based on all these microtransactions, fob insurance, forced online or coercive online requirements.

I'm sure the core game is quality but it sounds like it is seeded with all sorts of bullshit.

At least I will always have the old games to go back to.

I mean it's a bad precedent and it's not the greatest thing ever, but you will barely notice for most of the game. It will be as much of a hassle as any other game that locks 100% completion behind some sort of grinding. Basically it won't be really noticeable till you complete the story. Or unless you are a crazy person who must unlock every single possible thing before you continue with any story shit. In that case there is much worse standing in that way in MGSV that isn't because of online shit.

KTO

So you are seriously suggesting that if some people choose to play offline, that somehow there won't be enough stuff for invaders to steal? I don't even know where to begin...

No not really, I'm saying that If somebody puts the time in to raid someone and opens themselves up to retaliation they should get more than 10 staff of various (usually sub A++) levels and 5k in unprocessed materials. Raiding a 4/4 base is really hard and really unforgiving and players who do it successfully should be rewarded. The solution Konami came up with is to move more of a player's resources online. If OP who only plays offline because his crappy A rank staff is somehow more special than everyone else's is collateral damage from this move, i'm totally ok with that.

I mean it's a bad precedent and it's not the greatest thing ever, but you will barely notice for most of the game. It will be as much of a hassle as any other game that locks 100% completion behind some sort of grinding. Basically it won't be really noticeable till you complete the story. Or unless you are a crazy person who must unlock every single possible thing before you continue with any story shit. In that case there is much worse standing in that way in MGSV that isn't because of online shit.
This is basically my opinion on it.

I've got your post bookmarked and have been doing the same haha.

Also, make sure you disconnect from online before you leave Snake in a truck, if you get disconnected the game will pause.

Oh nice hahaha. I never knew the going offline part. I'd wake up, see the game paused and be so angry :lol

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Every Metal Gear Solid V thread I read makes me more and more glad that I passed on the game.

you don't understand. MGS5 is like 120/100 metacritic score, it can lose 25 points for Konami fuckery but it'll still an A+ game, you feel me? Years of sweat and blood and love and silliness were put into this. Even Konami can't ruin it enough to make it worth skipping.

I'm currently chewing through peace walker and ground zeroes in order to be caught up in preparation to play TPP.

It sounds like a heavily compromised game based on all these microtransactions, fob insurance, forced online or coercive online requirements.

I'm sure the core game is quality but it sounds like it is seeded with all sorts of bullshit.

At least I will always have the old games to go back to.
the negative impact on the SP story was almost entirely negligible for me. it felt basically like a SP feature because invasions were so rare, and any losses were offset by improved leveling. i never invaded others, kept my security costs low, and was mostly left alone while my leveling improved anywhere between 25-75% between about Mission 25 through to 50.

if you have an upgraded FOB and never invade others (meaning your 'PvP rank' is low enough that you rarely spawn as a random target for higher rank players) then invasions are pretty rare. and truthfully, any loss if you do get invaded once or twice is probably off-set by the much faster R&D leveling, item and resource generation, and better SP mission support and intel.

the impact on the end-game is the shit part because the recent Deployment, Insurance, FOB2 changes are clearly designed to promote RMT... that's where it really starts to feel like 'MP bullshit' is ruining my 'SP immersion'. and the recent patch is pretty bullshit at obviously promoting end-game RMT.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
you don't understand. MGS5 is like 120/100 metacritic score, it can lose 25 points for Konami fuckery but it'll still an A+ game, you feel me? Years of sweat and blood and love and silliness were put into this. Even Konami can't ruin it enough to make it worth skipping.

Konami: Is that a challenge I hear?

ironcreed

Banned
The defense of this and the flippant insults leveled at people who are complaining about it must mean I've seen everything there is to see.

What, exactly, is wrong with asking for an option to turn off single player mode invasions? Metal Gear Online is the multiplayer mode. FOB is about single player invasions and I'm not sure if there's another game out there that doesn't let a player opt out of that and enjoy a purely single player experience if they want.

It's all made completely gross when you realize why they don't, and likely will never, give you the option. That's a lot of nice grinding you've done...

Indeed. We have crossed the Rubicon with how this game is designed and some of the shit Konami is doing, yet it is no surprise to see people defending and slurping it down like a margarita on a hot day. If people are 'okay' with this, then where does it end?

You know, crap like this makes me happy that I just dropped this game cold turkey after finishing the so called ending. I honestly wouldn't care if I logged in one day to see zero gmp.

Personally its overall the worst metal gear :'(

Same here. Was planning on replaying stuff for rank until I found out how stupid the rank system is. I did enjoy the basic gameplay loop when you're not traveling in a helicopter or on mother base but thats really all there is to the game.

Minions

What kills me is the resource costs when using higher tier gear.... freaking highest level tranq sniper requires so many golden crescent to equip/replenish ammo.... its totally not worth it. Once you get the
Infinite Bandana
it is less of an issue... but there are still the initial equip costs which are still really high. I do love that
the Infinite Bandana also applies to supressors

Okay, this is fucking dirty and nasty. I don't want to have to play online if I don't want to. When was the latest patch deployed? Can I not install it?

Ok, I'll say it again... I say it in every MGSV thread where people are afraid of online. Go ahead and build your FOB. When you get to the tutorial about invading other FOBs, disconnect from the internet. The nag screen will go away. You will have the benefit of having an FOB and you can reconnect and be online but you will never be invaded. As long as you never complete the tutorial you will never be invaded. Every time the nag screen pops up just disconnect from the internet.

I haven't reached the FOB stuff yet. Does this affect me if all I care about is completing the story?

edit: not that I don't disagree with it, mind you.

No not really, I'm saying that If somebody puts the time in to raid someone and opens themselves up to retaliation they should get more than 10 staff of various (usually sub A++) levels and 5k in unprocessed materials. Raiding a 4/4 base is really hard and really unforgiving and players who do it successfully should be rewarded. The solution Konami came up with is to move more of a player's resources online. If OP who only plays offline because his crappy A rank staff is somehow more special than everyone else's is collateral damage from this move, i'm totally ok with that.
Wow. I can't believe this is the level of acceptance we've gotten to.

The night before last, my friend had around 500,000 GMP when he stopped playing. Yesterday morning, he was 1,000,000 GMP in the red when he booted the game.

Indeed. We have crossed the Rubicon with how this game is designed and some of the shit Konami is doing, yet it is no surprise to see people defending and slurping it down like a margarita on a hot day. If people are 'okay' with this, then where does it end?
It doesn't? I guess that's bad or something.

Astery

Not saying that, I can literally leave MGS for a week and come back to nothing affected and I play online and invade FOB's a lot. Most people are acting and saying that you will literally lose all of your resources by playing the FOB mode and that's not true, you can basically tell who's played and who's not played by those statements. I mean the thing is that you don't have to pay any money out of pocket for all the FOB's, I have the free one and I can do basically all I want which is screw around and have fun in the world

Fair enough, but I guess many people just don't like the fact you can even lose things/ have a set back when you are not even playing the game, and that''s very reasonable imo. You can't even not have a FOB if you are online and going the proper normal game way (I played on PC and I was forced to get 1 after that particular mission, Correct me if they have made it different now or are different on other platforms.)

You realize the motivation is selling insurance, right? Even if half the player base chose to opt out of any of the online functionality, the half that doesn't could still engage with that stuff on their own. Everyone doesn't have to participate in order for those people to have fun.

Konami's "incentive" is self-serving, that's what people are bothered by. They don't want people playing offline because if they do, they won't have a reason to spend money on microtransactions. Period.

Yes the root of it is microtransactions. I'm just stating by putting a huge portion of available resources online is a incentive for the players to get online, and by doing so they are basically now in the FOB game due to syncing and all that junk, making FOBs updated on the servers and providing more fun or challenge to invaders, hence help keeping the FOB mode going.

Yeah this was mentioned last week in the update/insurance thread. I haven't been online since before the patch so I'm doing everything offline until I'm done.

Kerned

Banned
But why should people not be able to opt out of this altogether? It doesn't affect anyone else if I choose to abstain from the base invasion stuff. If I go offline in Dark Souks I'm not ruining the game for the PVP community.

The night before last, my friend had around 500,000 GMP when he stopped playing. Yesterday morning, he was 1,000,000 GMP in the red when he booted the game.
from what?

the game log should say... technically, only excess GMP from the cap should transfer to the FOB pool... (emphasis on "should")

was he invaded or was it security costs? or the transfer?

Question for those going in the red from the 'tax': is it immediately affecting base morale? (and thus soldier's stats)

Because, over time, this could cripple your base, as it becomes rife with desertions, and easier to invade as a result.

Replicant

Ok, I'll say it again... I say it in every MGSV thread where people are afraid of online. Go ahead and build your FOB. When you get to the tutorial about invading other FOBs, disconnect from the internet. The nag screen will go away. You will have the benefit of having an FOB and you can reconnect and be online but you will never be invaded. As long as you never complete the tutorial you will never be invaded. Every time the nag screen pops up just disconnect from the internet.

Thank the Dogs that The Uncharted Collection distracted me before I ever reached the FOB stuff.

So as long as I do what you said, it'll be fine? I'll probably stop playing Uncharted and burn and finish this one up ASAP before Konami introduces more dirty tactics.

Spaghetti

This might be good advice, but the fact that the player has to deal with "temporary setbacks" solely because Konami has changed the game balance to incentivize FOB insurance and other murky monetization efforts is shameful.

We don't want to work around it, and we shouldn't have to work around it. It shouldn't be a mandatory part of the single player game.
i mean, my suggestions weren't even workarounds, they're things that occur normally during gameplay.

as scummy as konami's attempts to push people into a position of temptation to use the microtransaction options are, the biggest weapon to fight back against that would be to reject that psychology that causes the temptation in the first place.

It is for those of us who don't like greedy slot machine schemes put into games we already paid $60 for to the point that it punishes players who don't want to partake in it.
I don't really feel like that's happening or is going to happen but who knows what the future holds.
Exciting isn't it.

Lolcomin

Banned
Fair enough, but I guess many people just don't like the fact you can even lose things/ have a set back when you are not even playing the game, and that''s very reasonable imo. You can't even not have a FOB if you are online and going the proper normal game way (I played on PC and I was forced to get 1 after that particular mission, Correct me if they have made it different now or are different on other platforms.)

Yes the root of it is microtransactions. I'm just stating by putting a huge portion of available resources online is a incentive for the players to get online, and by doing so they are basically now in the FOB game due to syncing and all that junk, making FOBs updated on the servers and providing more fun or challenge to invaders, hence help keeping the FOB mode going.
Yeah you still have to get the FOB, all i'm just going to say is that Idk where people are losing money by logging back on cause that has never happened to me

Kerned

Banned
So you are basically saying that they are negatively impacting the experience of people who are only interested in the single player game for the sake of the people who want more bases to invade. I disagree that that is their motivation, and I would also disagree with your premise. If some portion of players elects to play offline 100% of the time, the people playing online will still have plenty of bases to invade.

ironcreed

Banned
I don't really feel like that's happening or is going to happen but who knows what the future holds.

It already is here. Hence, the topic and people who are angry about it. But I guess selling insurance for real money in order to protect virtual video game items is now considered fine and dandy by some.

Question for those going in the red from the 'tax': is it immediately affecting base morale? (and thus soldier's stats)

Because, over time, this could cripple your base, as it becomes rife with desertions, and easier to invade as a result.
desertion was pretty slow the one time I went into the red for about an hour, lost 2 people out of.... 700? it's measured on in-game time so small dips in the red are pretty negligible

the large suddenly 1m in the red though, i dunno... honestly it doesn't sound working as intended. it's not meant to be a tax nor is it meant to ever cause you to go in the red. it's just meant to transfer excess GMP over a (high for most SP content) cap. in the description of it, there's no reason it should ever cause you to go into the red.

either there's a bug or maybe the 'in the red' is from something else, like accidentally setting your FOB security costs to very high (or, say, 200K) and then forgetting about it and getting invaded... not sure. but the 'transfer' isn't supposed to work that way.
The game didn't tell him why. He was not invaded (he checked the log).
that's effed up... there could be a bug TBH. i don't think it's supposed to work that way.... does he go online/offline a lot or try avoid the FOB tutorial or something?

maybe there's a fuck up in the game where if you try 'avoid' MP/FOBs, it causes 1-time transfer to repeat and the game 'forgets' the transfer because of all the disconnecting.

i dunno but it sounds messed up.

I've never invaded any one or been invaded, yet I still get my GMP subtracted all the time and it's the worst. Just let me play my singleplayer Metal Gear, Konami!
Thankfully Cheat Engine is a thing.

It is for those of us who don't like greedy slot machine schemes put into games we already paid $60 for to the point that it punishes players who don't want to partake in it.
Ignoring the recent changes most of the issues surrounding the FOBs were in place from day 1 and the game was designed by Kojima to push the player online, just like how the Souls series pushes the player online. Never building a FOB will make certain later missions much more difficult or grindy, not because of microtransactions, but because the upgrade mechanisms receive a significant bonus from having an FOB and upgrading it.

I beat the game with a lot of research done and got raided all of once. With MGO out there's like no incentive to do FOBs because Kojima did a really shitty job designing them. I don't think they're popular except on hacker-friendly PC. If you're buying the insurance you are a moron. If you pay money for anything in MGV you have fucked up. Kona/jima may have meant to microtransaction the shit out of the game but in its current state it's just not an issue.

Top Bottom