• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV: Konami Offline Tax for players who opt out of FOBs

KTO

I just started the game few days ago and i am on mission 5. I have no idea what FOB is but i guess its something related to mother base and it's resources?
Will i be affected if i start playing offline or it's too late for that?

Just play the game as it was meant to be played. The anti-FOBers are overreacting. The FOB is a net positive even if you get sucessfully invaded every day. There is very little in terms of managing it beyond what you do to manage the regular base because they are tied together.

Skux

If this is true I'm done with the game. That's fucking bullshit. I play offline because I have no interest in the FOBs plus just being online makes the menus and map crawl. If they're really so petty that they're going to punish me for that they can screw themselves.

Fuck Konami

If you have always played offline you will not be affected, since the GMP you make will not be stored online.

I just find it beyond comprehension how any self-respecting gamer could love microtransactions in a full retail game that are so gross that they try to funnel you into buying insurance for real world money. I mean, my God.

We don't "love" them, but what people don't realise is the game is completely enjoyable without them. I have never touched them and never will. But as soon as people hear about it they say "MICROTRANSACTIONS IN A FULL RETAIL GAME FUCK OFF KONAMI YOU'VE RUINED EVERYTHING". No they haven't.

Yes you can lose resources and staff, but they are so plentiful that it doesn't matter if your FOB gets invaded when you can replenish staff and resources easily, in multiple ways.

The ability to invade other bases and take the risk of them invading you in retaliation adds a fun dimension to the game, and yet people are so reluctant to try out something new and lose their "precious" resources that they write it off as soon as they hear about microtransations.

For the bloo a blooing about micromanaging the FOB you people better stop playing now cause you're going to weep blood from micromanaging the outbreak.

A Hideo Kojima Game.

Haunted

Yooooo this shit is crazy. I don't plan on playing MGSV but have heard lots about it and had to check this thread out.

How very deceptive of Konami to start bombarding this game with shit missles after all the reviews have been published. FOB insurance and now this... shit is fucked.
One of the few games that got worse with every patch and added "feature".

Klossen

Banned
I love how on PS4 if you don't have PS Plus people can still steal your shit but you can't steal back. You basically get fucked with no chance of fucking back. Thanks Konami!

Like the OP? He imagined all of this, right?

The OP wants to finish all missions and SO before playing FOBs, which is weird because no one should want to play FOBs because they are shitty, and not because of anything the boogieman Konami did. Like, play it now so you can realize how pointless it is.

A Hideo Kojima Game.

SURGEdude

Honestly at this point I barely care. Fuck Konami.

And before anybody whines about jobs, I'd like to remind people that the market doesn't disappear when shitty pubs/devs do. Their absence either creates a place for new and better replacements, or removes shitty games that turn casuals away from core gaming and redistributes money to decent games.

The idea that studios no matter their output should be revered is crazy. Nobody ever left gaming because the hacks at Robomodo will close down. Wishing the end of Konami just means more money for non-cunt developers/publishers.

One of the few games that got worse with every patch and added "feature".
Actually each patch makes the game better because it means more and more people might quit before Mission 45 where a character is saved by the healing power of attempted(?) rape. And right now you can trade it back to Best Buy for $35 ($38.50 with GCU)!

A Hideo Kojima Game.

I noticed this happening to me the other day when I kept frequently disconnecting from their servers. And yes, I would go into negative GMP if I was low overall. Didn't know it affected other stuff in the game. Just a bit stupid. Or a lot stupid.

You really can't tell the difference between them?

Oh, I can. FOBs were far less annoying to manage.

I mean, I get that the main theme of the game is that the Diamond Dogs are total fucking losers who are happy to be kidnapped to no-sex sausage party panopticon island, and Skull Face is a moron, and Venom Snake is also a moron, and Ocelot is bored being there, and Miller, well Miller is actually breaking theme because he has some good ideas with haburga franca, and Huey is doing everyone a favor, so technically being forced to sort through ~1000 soldiers slowly selecting them one by one for a non-sortable trait is keeping with the idea that I, the player, am also a total fucking loser.

But for fucks sake let me sort the cause.

A Hideo Kojima Game.

KaoteK

A couple of people are saying of you decline the TOS this won't happen, can anyone confirm this?

I'm gonna replay the game from scratch, but only if you can completely opt out by doing this (I was even considering deleting it and playing it unpatched)

This is bullshit even by Konami's standards and I'm really close to just fucking selling my copy because of this.

Chirotera

Banned
Yeah, this crap is so screwed up.

Before I'd keep a certain amount of vehicles/weapons, and then, if I go over it, I'd sell that amount when I get low on resources. Now all my shit is online, forcing me to jump through all these damn hoops to use stuff I've accumulated from only playing single player - which has brought my GMP grinding to a halt, effectively killing research.

It's just a dumb fucking barrier to put between the player and the game they're trying to enjoy. I no longer feel like a badass running some awesome mercenary troop. I feel like a customer waiting to be exploited by a company that gives fuck all on whether or not I enjoy their game and just wants my money.

Sure, most companies are like that, but at least most of the others try to hide the fact that they see you as nothing more than a walking pile of money.

Danneee

OK, just started the game, declined the online stuff and everything is as it was when I left it in 1.03. Same amount of vehicles and cash.

Call off the angry single player offline mob!

Ooccoo

Seems like it was wise not to buy this game.

Like 90% of recent offerings on consoles. Wait a year for the complete package.

To be fair, with all your condescending replies and your MG avatar, its easy for someone to mistake you for a fanboy who would defend anything in the series.
The condescending comes natural but you really shouldn't judge people by their appearance. ;)
Also, I would never "defend" anything I like especially the MGS series that has terrible stuff like MGS4 and Peace Walker.

Bl@de

So how is the situation on PC? Are there mods to remove the stupid offline ressource limits? I would really like to block the game in the firewall but still play it without any bullshit from Konami. And isn't PC multiplayer full of hacks/cheaters so it's stupid to force other people online who just want to play the game?

Have no problem waiting though, still at Peace Walker.

Sephirus

OK, just started the game, declined the online stuff and everything is as it was when I left it in 1.03. Same amount of vehicles and cash.

Call off the angry single player offline mob!

Yea I just tested this as well. I lost a little bit of GMP (Around 500k out of the 5 mil cap), but all my vehicles were still there. Though I stopped the FOB process during the tutorial.

I also did a few side ops, quit the game and then reloaded it to check if I was losing GMP and I still had the same amount.

Abylim

The condescending comes natural but you really shouldn't judge people by their appearance. ;)
Also, I would never "defend" anything I like especially the MGS series that has terrible stuff like MGS4 and Peace Walker.

I was judging you on your condescending replies. You come off a little stuck up. If you don't like that, don't post like that.

KaoteK

Got to laugh at the people defending it.

Here's a thought, if Konami really wanted to get people playing the FOB stuff, how about they reward the people who play it instead of punishing those of us who couldn't care less about it?

You know, carrot instead of stick?

Oh that's right, it's because they give zero shits about having a healthy online and only care about making more money.

#fuckonami

holygeesus

Banned
So how is the situation on PC? Are there mods to remove the stupid offline ressource limits? I would really like to block the game in the firewall but still play it without any bullshit from Konami. And isn't PC multiplayer full of hacks/cheaters so it's stupid to force other people online who just want to play the game?

I played the game for 91 hours and was never invaded once, so it might just not be a problem if playing on the PC anyway.

MGS4 and Peace Walker are masterpieces compared to the travesty that is MGSV. Not even kidding one bit.

Juicy Bob

I'm not usually one for meaningless protest boycotts, but I was going to buy Pro Evo 2016 this year because I love that series but I don't want to give Konami any more of my money. No football for me.

I was judging you on your condescending replies. You come off a little stuck up. If you don't like that, don't post like that.
I don't mind it. I never purposely try to condescending it just comes out that way.

MGS4 and Peace Walker are masterpieces compared to the travesty that is MGSV. Not even kidding one bit.
Thats great! Im glad you enjoyed those games but for me MGSV is a masterpiece.

Chariot

No, but you can apparently easily cheat by backing up your savefile. Didn't do it myself, because that would be more of a hassle for me than just to take it. (Also I'm done anyways)

Fuck anyone trying to defend this bullshit. Capping your offline resources to push you to to play online is a scummy move, especially as they decided to do it in a patch and keep it and their fucking insurance scheme from being critiqued early on.

There are mods to get around some of the shitty design decisions, like sped up development times and combat deployment.

SURGEdude

To be fair, with all your condescending replies and your MG avatar, its easy for someone to mistake you for a fanboy who would defend anything in the series.

He's playing a character I'm convinced. His presence is usually associated with silliness and love of F2P mobile or Konami presented without reasoning. It's an attempt to be the "other side". When I say -character- I mean I hope he's just impersonating that guy we all know who gets off being the guy who isn't willing to agree with anything.

jrcbandit

I had edited my resources and they were all set back to 0 with the patch even though I still should have had some left over from finding them in the world. Well screw that, I just went into offline mode again and re-edited my resources ;p. Then sold a bunch of precious metals to make up for the money they stole from me. Luckily, I finished all the main missions other than 45 and uninstalled the damn game.

Santar

This is just insane, that they're actually going in and changing the offline game like this in order to push people to play online.
It's just disgusting!
It should be illegal for someone to actually go and modify a product you've bought and paid for after the fact. At least you should be able to go back to a previous version.

And you're so condescending and defensive of shitty corporate practices all the time. But that's the world we live in.
I guess. Seems a little dramatic.

He's playing a character I'm convinced. His presence is usually associated with silliness and love of F2P mobile or Konami presented without reasoning. It's an attempt to be the "other side".
Nope. These are my honest opinions. The only time I attempt to be the "other side" is when I make jokes that people take seriously for some reason.

FranXico

If you have always played offline you will not be affected, since the GMP you make will not be stored online.

Updated the OP, the only way to always play offline is by rejecting the terms of service at boot time.

Allowing the game to login and then disconnecting will make you lose resources, regardless of whether you have built an FOB or not.

You fuckers got it easy. Once a day, the game takes about an hour or two for maintenance. In New Zealand, this lines up at around 8pm, As a result, the way that they keep trying to get you to play at the ideal time to play it will not work. Fuck that.

AHA-Lambda

Wtf, I don't understand but Jesus o_O

I played the game at launch and got ~60 hours but I don't recal this happening to me personally.

This game just gets more and more depressing. After getting bored just after completed chapter 1 I think I'll trade this back in. What a disappointing game, on all fronts.

Top Bottom