• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV: Konami Offline Tax for players who opt out of FOBs

Last night when I declined to purchase a new FOB location, the disc ejected itself violently from my PS4 and killed my dog. I won't be doing that again.

Made my morning =D

Every time Konami screws around with this game, seemingly on a weekly basis, I get happier that I still haven't bought it yet. I was planning on buying MGSV after I was done with The Witcher 3, but at this rate... I can live without it. I don't feel comfortable supporting this.

It doesn't say anything about lowering the local limit, so yeah. Most likely.

I don't know why you're giving Konami the benefit of the doubt with their recent history.

This is an effective way to keep people online to involve them in the multiplayer, which is where people can spend MB coins. This change was implemented in the same patch that included insurance.

I don't know if this has been covered, or whether it was this way before the patch, but I think they changed the requirements to develop a
nuke
to 75k online fuel resources only.

Came as quite the surprise when I had finally reached the necessary amount of resource to find that all of it was offline so I cant get the achievement until my FOB pulls their finger out and gets enough.

I haven't got to mission 22 yet and I don't plan on building a FOB, so if I want to avoid deductions I should just decline the ToS when ever I play from now on?

I still have not hit story mission 22 (or whatever it was where you are forced to build an FOB).

I will now simply wait in the menus and linger until I have managed to build most of the stuff I believe I need. RnD is at level 34, so I can build most of the stuff I want for now.

Of course, if the taxman comes around and pulls me all the way to the red, I cannot even go on sorties, because my GMP balance is so bad, right?

Fucking Konami. Fuck them in the fucking ear for fucking up this brilliant game.

You don't really need to worry about getting stuff done beforehand, as long as you play online you won't really notice anything.

It does interest me how much revenue you or Konami are expecting FOB insurances to generate from a financial perspective.

There was literally no reason to use MB Coins before the patch. Now they can at least scare people into spending some.

I'm not saying it's a smart way to get money, but it's certainly financially motivated. Having an "online storage" for materials has absolutely no gameplay benefits.

It does have gameplay benefits for those who care about asymmetrical multiplayer implementations, such as myself.

Why couldn't they have just increased the offline liimts for everyone? How do you benefit from storage which can only be accessed online?

I actually liked the FOB stuff, but I don't have to convince myself that it was implemented in a player-friendly way.

Why couldn't they have just increased the offline liimts for everyone? How do you benefit from storage which can only be accessed online?

I, as an player connected to the service, benefit from the online services by having the ability to raid other players online storages if I so want to, providing near endless gameplay value. By having my own storage partially online too, I also can (if I want to) manage my own online properties by protecting them. There's a high reward-low risk mechanic where you actually feel like you are doing something when you are always raiding or protecting "real" items instead of something that game generates by itself, bringing some actual meaning to doing stuff instead of raiding because you need the money for whatever reason.

Why is it so important that the offline limits are raised? It's a no risk high rewards situation so you can just skip that step and use a trainer to buy whatever you want to.

I, as an player connected to the service, benefit from the online services by having the ability to raid other players online storages if I so want to, providing near endless gameplay value. By having my own storage partially online too, I also can (if I want to) manage my own online properties by protecting them. There's a high reward-low risk mechanic where you actually feel like you are doing something when you are always raiding or protecting "real" items instead of something that game generates by itself, bringing some actual meaning to doing stuff instead of raiding because you need the money for whatever reason.

Why is it so important that the offline limits are raised? It's a no risk high rewards situation so you can just skip that step and use a trainer to buy whatever you want to.
None of the stuff they put in online storage, like vehicles or GMP, can be gained by invading another users FOB. The only reason they put them there is to make you stay online. It's really not hard to see.

The only thing that you can get from FOB invasions are unprocessed materials, just like before the patch.

You can't use trainers on consoles, where the majority of the players are.
The limits were fine before the patch. They didn't need to change anything.

DavidDesu

Really don't think I'll ever play this now. Sounds like the game gets off to a strong start and has lots of replayability, but seems to be a lot of people pissed that the game doesn't come to much of a satisfactory inclusion. Plus all this FOB stuff really doesn't interest me in the slightest yet it seems to be quite intrinsic to the game in many ways. Konami riddling the thing with attempts to get real money out of me is the final straw.

Nah I can go without. Save me money to put towards the investment that Battlefront is going to be. I'd rather EA got my money. Did you hear that Konami, I'D RATHER EA(!) GOT MY MONEY!

xrnzaaas

Sometimes I think that the games should be re-reviewed like a month or two after the premiere so that the reviewers could write them based on all the content (MP stuff is often unavailable in review copies) and post-launch updates. But hey, this is MGS, it would probably still get 9 or 10/10 from all the major sites.

You can have vehicles and other shit destroyed in other online modes too. You'll never need more than one vehicle when you are playing the single player campaign, but you can have like 10 online shenanigans requiring 30 cars in total going on at the same time.

You mean dispach missions? Can't say I remember many online ones requiring vehicles but idk.

I get it now thanks to YianGaruga, it's basically saying stay online or say goodbye to most of your gear.

The higher level ones do indeed require vehicles and/or the Battle Gear.

Online ones? I've done all the main ones requiring battlegear but they were offline.

Ludens

Banned
A cheaters just killed like 20 member of my level 40+ fully developed fob with 67 security in less than 30 seconds, reaching the core.
Thanks Konami.
Actually I think they left the PC version with no anti-cheat system so you are forced to buy their insurance policies, lol.

Nice thing I already completed the game and I only log to take daily rewards.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Really don't think I'll ever play this now. Sounds like the game gets off to a strong start and has lots of replayability, but seems to be a lot of people pissed that the game doesn't come to much of a satisfactory inclusion. Plus all this FOB stuff really doesn't interest me in the slightest yet it seems to be quite intrinsic to the game in many ways. Konami riddling the thing with attempts to get real money out of me is the final straw.

Nah I can go without. Save me money to put towards the investment that Battlefront is going to be. I'd rather EA got my money. Did you hear that Konami, I'D RATHER EA(!) GOT MY MONEY!

You're missing out. Game's great.

Here's the thing. You don't need to spend a penny on micro-transactions. The likelihood of your FOB getting invaded isn't actually that high unless you are going out attacking people willy-nilly. Most importantly, building up the default (unpaid) FOB and playing online is actually greatly beneficial to your economy and the game as a whole.

Roni

Gold Member
There should be a bigger outrage at this... They explicitly said you could play offline and now they're actively sabotaging people who do with the latest patch.

I play online, so I can still see my stuff, it's just not local anymore. But that took major control off my hands.

They attempted to reduce grief and at the same time coerce people into paying extra. For shame.

I want to go back to 1.04

Arkhanor

I was really, really, REALLY planning to buy this game. Not anymore. Don't know what else they might patch in the game.

Setsuna

Good lord just play the damn game

It seems like the only people losing are those who are actively trying to avoid Fobs altogether. Ive been attacked 10 times in the last 15 days and each time the person failed

Roni

Gold Member
Good lord just play the damn game

It seems like the only people losing are those who are actively trying to avoid Fobs altogether

Ive been attacked 10 times in the last 15 days and each time the person failed

It's true that there better ways to avoid dealing with FOB's than staying offline.

Facism

You're missing out. Game's great.

Here's the thing. You don't need to spend a penny on micro-transactions. The likelihood of your FOB getting invaded isn't actually that high unless you are going out attacking people willy-nilly. Most importantly, building up the default (unpaid) FOB and playing online is actually greatly beneficial to your economy and the game as a whole.

I left the game for 2 weeks and when i came back, i had lost about 3 million GMP, putting me 2 million in the red and lost approx 5 levels from each department due to lost staff.

4 days after that, after selling loads of shit to get back into the black, i was again hit many times and put a million into the red. I have not invaded anyone in a month.

I don't do invasions because I find the FOB stuff to be another feather in the busywork cap that MGS V wears.

I hope that when I come back to MGSV in like a year everyone on my FOB will be dead or abducted and there's like spiderwebs and rust everywhere.

And there are a few people left, almost starving to death, that give you a hard time for neglecting them.

Kind of like Animal Crossing

I'm sorry, Flaming Buffalo ;_;

Z3M0G

Can confirm. I'm not even close to where you start to access FOBs (mission 12), but after the latest patch or so, my 50+ vehicles and resources above 50,000 are gone for offline access. When I sell all three jeeps, for example, I have to reconnect online in order to access another set of three to sell.

So the game is now effectively an "Online Only" game otherwise you get a broken / limited play experience...

Mupod

I feel like I got everything I needed out of MGS5 but yeah in the unlikely event I ever boot it up again I'll be using a trainer if no mods are in to remove this nonsense.

dose

I've not played MGSV yet and dpn't know anything about the FOBs and resources. Can someone explain how all of this effects the single-player game?

I bought this just before I went on holiday for a month. Came home, planned to get sunk into it, but this has literally killed off every last bit of enthusiasm I had for the game.

Think I'll see if I can return it for a full refund.

myco666

MGSV is really weird. It is absolutely fantastic and one of the best games of 2015 and yet it manages to have most disgusting stuff I have ever seen in a game.

Also I hear alot of people saying that the FOB invasions are same as Dark Souls. They are not the same at all. In Dark Souls only thing you can lose permanently when invaded is your Humanity which is only used to access online. In MGSV you can lose valuable resources, staff and ton of GMP permanently. You can also lose stuff while not playing the game which is insane as you can't defend your resources if that happens. And you can't opt out of FOB. If you play the game online you are forced to create FOB.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I left the game for 2 weeks and when i came back, i had lost about 3 million GMP, putting me 2 million in the red and lost approx 5 levels from each department due to lost staff.

4 days after that, after selling loads of shit to get back into the black, i was again hit many times and put a million into the red. I have not invaded anyone in a month.

I don't do invasions because I find the FOB stuff to be another feather in the busywork cap that MGS V wears.

300+ hours logged, been invaded maybe a dozen times, of those only 2 or 3 were successful and did a small amount of damage.

Can make 5m GMP in less than an hour grinding containers/vehicles, while using dispatch missions to supplement my income and staffing. Not to mention that I don't really need GMP/Materials anymore as I've developed everything I need for the main missions and so its all getting ploughed back into building FOB related crap anyway.

No cheats, just playing on PS4. Sorry, but its just not that big of a deal in my experience, nor apparently any of my online buddies as they haven't mentioned such stuff.

danowat

Banned
I've not played MGSV yet and dpn't know anything about the FOBs and resources. Can someone explain how all of this effects the single-player game?

My biggest issue is the automatic allocation of resources gained in solo player the worst part.

I used to be able to capture weapons and vehicles and sell them all for profit, I can't sell them all now, as a portion of them are automatically assigned to my FOB.

Top Bottom