• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV - MB Coins pricing spotted on PSN

bede-x

Please, don't support this bullshit, GAF.

Well, that's the thing, there's really no way not to support something like this other than not buying the game/playing the mode. You'll pay with money or you'll pay with time (grinding for coins), but you will pay..

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
You can generate GMP pretty well doing side ops, but resources, in particular, are a major grind right now.

Let's talk some numbers:

When in the field as Snake, you can come across resources like Fuel. Each one gives about 100 units of that resource. Where I am now in the game, it costs 18,000 units of fuel to expand ONE strut in Mother Base.

There are Combat Unit missions that specifically give large quantities of these resources (~4,000 per mission). As far as I can tell, this is the fastest way to get this stuff, and with only two units available to deploy at any time, it's gonna be a while before I max out anything.

Level up your Support units. They actually mine for resources. Every half hour or so I get a notification that they've made 1000 of each resource type.

Level up your Support units. They actually mine for resources. Every half hour or so I get a notification that they've made 1000 of each resource type.

So, in an hour, you've only mined 2k resources. For me, it takes 18k resources to upgrade ONE strut to level 3 (out of 4). I have no doubt that leveling the base development team (mine is in the 20s) will over time help tremendously, but the main way to get resources is Combat Units, for now. One 30 minute mission for them can yield 4k of that resource.

Banned together.

One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist.

"Why are MB Coins still here? Just to suffer?"

xlarge.gif

EVIL

FSFEkLy.jpg

This image should be in OP.

So, you need $80 worth of coins to unlock all the FOB waters? How long would that take from earning mission rewarded credits?

actually its $110 1x 6000 coins, and 4 x 550 coins getting you at 8200 coins (you need 8100 coins to unlock all 5 locations)

ironcreed

Banned
So, in an hour, you've only mined 2k resources. For me, it takes 18k resources to upgrade ONE strut to level 3 (out of 4). I have no doubt that leveling the base development team (mine is in the 20s) will over time help tremendously, but the main way to get resources is Combat Units, for now. One 30 minute mission for them can yield 4k of that resource.

Sounds like a real drag.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."

Between that and fultoning containers I've got more than enough resources for everything I need. I have only not been able to develop stuff due to levels of my teams.

Bennicus

Well, that's the thing, there's really no way not to support something like this other than not buying the game/playing the mode. You'll pay with money or you'll pay with time (grinding for coins), but you will pay..

Paying with time doesn't get Konami anything though.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
some people don't care about this and just fork the money.

heck if i really like the game i will give them some extra

I've been playing for about 15 hours and honestly, the base building progression feels completely balanced. Whoever buys these coins is just speeding up the inevitable. Your bases will get maxed out by the end of the game if you enjoy doing side missions.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I wonder if you can use cheat engine to modify your MB coin value?

I can't imagine there is some verification service for spending the coins in game, especially if there are in game methods of obtaining them.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I wonder if weapons and gear can be upgraded by buying these coins. I might be wrong, but I've skipped out on reading anything about the game until I get to play it.

It's like walking into a match knowing someone else payed to get there while you're sitting there with hours put into your character and you can't even touch them.

So been playing Ground Zeros in prep for tomorrow and it's had a game patch today, anyone know what it does?

Maybe something to do with the save transfer for Phantom Pain but not 100% sure.

I've been playing for about 15 hours and honestly, the base building progression feels completely balanced. Whoever buys these coins is just speeding up the inevitable. Your bases will get maxed out by the end of the game if you enjoy doing side missions.
That sounds great. Since it hasnt officially released yet I think some are worried that a day one patch could gimp the GMP rewards. I doubt that will happen.

Oh please. Konami won't ban shit and MGO3 as well as FOB invasions will be littered with aimbots/wall hacks. The only people who will suffer from this idiotic garbage are legitimate players. Not quite sure how anyone is expected to take a game like this seriously when it's clearly balanced toward people actually getting microtransactions.

MJLord

That sounds great. Since it hasnt officially released yet I think some are worried that a day one patch could gimp the GMP rewards. I doubt that will happen.

That would be absolute suicide.

But yeah, I've played for most of the weekend and not felt hampered at all.

Kamina777

Banned
Totally gross, it's the f2p model except you are skipping the f2 part....

Fuck Konami, fuck this trend, fuckthisthaeverything.gif

And yet, people will support and pay it, which just sends the wrong message, but some folks just don't friggin care...
That's how business works. Konami isn't a charity and they will pretty much milk players with more money than time (and in some cases sense)

If you're banned from FOB mode, what's the point of having MB Coins?

There is no point at that point I'd guess. But people are acting like Konami actually gives a shit in letting their players have a fun, fair, experience. I think it just irks people knowing that their is a work around that the other versions won't have.

A-V-B

That's how business works.

-Walter White

There is no point at that point I'd guess. But people are acting like Konami actually gives a shit in letting their players have a fun, fair, experience.

Oh, no, nonono, that was never the assumption. I don't think Konami gives a floop about fairplay.

The assumption here is that people using Cheat Engine are taking away potential sales of MB Coins. That's more of an attention getter.

Kamina777

Banned
-Walter White

Oh, no, nonono, that was never the assumption. I don't think Konami gives a floop about fairplay.

The assumption here is that people using Cheat Engine are taking away potential sales of MB Coins. That's more of an attention getter.
I'm more of a Frank White fan myself! :p

Fuckity, Fuck, Fuck, fuck! I never thought it was going to be this steep due to the asking price of the game.

I will now wait and see how this is all implemented. If it isn't that bad or they back pedal a little, I'll buy it. If not, I'll rent it. There goes my excitement for tomorrow. Hopefully news will be better in the next couple days.

That would be absolute suicide.

But yeah, I've played for most of the weekend and not felt hampered at all.
I'll echo this in that I've put around 15 hours in so far, and I haven't felt like I've hit an artificial barrier. The coin option may be more pertinent for when you're trying to max things out after story mode.

Fuckity, Fuck, Fuck, fuck! I never thought it was going to be this steep due to the asking price of the game.

I will now wait and see how this is all implemented. If it isn't that bad or they back pedal a little, I'll buy it. If not, I'll rent it. There goes my excitement for tomorrow. Hopefully news will be better in the next couple days.

Apparently no way to earn MB coins

https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgears...t_peeler_popsicle_confirms_that_you_can_only/

That seals the deal, gonna get the game used as this was one of my most anticipated features. I find it really funny that I could buy this plus all of Destiny compared to say the extreme case with the $80 MB. Also only one Mother Base is available to have other three must be bought with the MB points.

Konami pushing Pay to Play on consoles. Konami worst publisher this year.

That would be lame but I don't feel like they'll change things. The game seems specifically set up for a natural progression. For instance all of the parts to my base are at least at 2/4 on the upgrade stage. One of them is even at 3/4. Even though I have no indication when the end of the game will be, my title screen says I'm only a mere 18% complete. I have a long way to go. I think this coins garbage will be just like what so many other games (specifically mobile games) have which is a cash grab that preys on the lazy or impatient.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
The truth of the matter is, every single one of us can protest by not purchasing, but all it takes is a few hundred crazy rich people to justify it entirely in the fiscal analyses.

That would be lame but I don't feel like they'll change things. The game seems specifically set up for a natural progression. For instance all of the parts to my base are at least at 2/4 on the upgrade stage. One of them is even at 3/4. Even though I have no indication when the end of the game will be, my title screen says I'm only a mere 18% complete. I have a long way to go. I think this coins garbage will be just like what so many other games (specifically mobile games) have which is a cash grab that preys on the lazy or impatient.

You seem to be confusing mother base and FOB bases.

You seem to be confusing mother base and FOB bases.

I totally just realized that. I didn't know these coins were specific to it.

The only FOB thing I've encountered in my game pertains to your units that can be sent out to auto complete little missions. A message box pops up saying you can purchase more FOBs to send out more than two units at a time.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
I wonder if you can use cheat engine to modify your MB coin value?

I can't imagine there is some verification service for spending the coins in game, especially if there are in game methods of obtaining them.

You can't imagine them trying to protect a revenue stream? Okay. Well I can. And if they don't, then multiplayer will be filled with aimbots and shit. Lose/Lose

WarMacheen

Fucking micro lol transaction bullshit. I bet the grind/structure was changed to accommodate this garbage, else there wouldn't be a need for it

Kamina777

Banned
Apparently no way to earn MB coins
Where are you getting the apparently from? I actually read what was in the link and someone named Ashley responded NO..who is Ashley? His proof is the same video proof everyone else was spouting which gets contradicted in the same video.

Predwolf

I'd suggest we put the pitchforks away until we figure out the exact rate at which we earn MB Coins through single player.

I'd suggest we put the pitchforks away until we figure out the exact rate at which we earn MB Coins through single player.

0?

I wouldn't use this feature, but I hate that something is locked away. Remember whatever the pricing is here, it'll be double for Australians.

Where are you getting the apparently from? I actually read what was in the link and someone named Ashley responded NO..who is Ashley? His proof is the same video proof everyone else was spouting which gets contradicted in the same video.

Eh, I sparsed through the link.

I mean...there have been no reported ways of earning MB coins from people who have it. Unless they have a weekly or daily login bonus, I don't see how they could add 'MB coin' rewards to missions.

The rate we'll earn resources is set by the very people selling us those $80 packs. The rate of progression will be set to whatever they think will bring in some extra revenue.

Top Bottom