• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV The Phantom Pain - One Year Later

My GOTY of last year although it took awhile to realize that. Probably the first time in a long time other people's reactions to a game really affected my own but after some time away and some slight yearning.

O.DOGG

If Witcher 3 hadn't been released last year, MGSV would have been my 2015 GOTY. As it is though, MGSV is the one single-player game I've played more than any other, and one of my greatest games of all time. A masterpiece. I love it. I'm even wearing a MGSV t-shirt today to mark one year since its release. I'm looking forward to firing it up again after work today.

Other than great gameplay, MGSV had this and I really liked it! :D

azCa5Q.jpg

Neiteio

It's easily the best 1/2-2/3 of a game I've ever played.

Bad bullet sponge boss fights notwithstanding, the mission stealth gameplay was simply unparalleled. The graphics, the (choose your own) soundtrack, the options etc. If this had actually been finished it would likely have been the best MGS of all.

However, it can't be ignored that the plot is left unfinished, the back half of the game consists of retreads of older missions and hell, the 'end' of the game, as is, isn't even the last mission. The final release was irreparably damaged by the production issues surrounding the game and as someone who went in with a strong interest in the story contents, I can't see it as anything other than a bitter disappointment. I don't mind the 'ending', as a thing, but the fact that so much of what was promised by the pre-release media and the contents of Chapter 1 just totally fails to amount to anything makes this one of the worst ending games since Halo 2. Likely worse, as at least I knew there'd be a Halo 3.

So yeah, I love most of what's there, but what isn't really stings.
The game tells a perfectly complete story, aside from the loose thread of Eli eloping with Sahelanthropus (what would've been Mission 51).

Chapter 2 should've been called "Epilogue," but it's fine for what it is — a series of tragedies that befall Venom and Kaz, following their unfulfilling revenge on Skull Face. It's their search for personal peace, a sense of purpose. As a postscript, it has this slice-of-life quality that I find novel. It's Venom slowly eroding, one loss after another. No cheesy heel turn. And then when he learns how he was used, you realize that the real Big Boss has compromised his principles, using soldiers as a means to an end. It's the fall of Big Boss, just not in the way we expected.

The repeat missions are optional challenges. I skipped them entirely (even though I hear they're fun) and simply continued doing side ops to unlock the new story missions. (Actually, I've since done the rematch with Quiet to unlock the Sniper Wolf outfit, and I s-ranked Code Talker [Extreme])

The more I play, the more I appreciate this gem of a game, story included.

Javin98

Banned
I'm gonna spend the day today playing MGSV to celebrate its first year anniversary. Easily my GOTY 2015, but Bloodborne was extremely close. I just completed the objective in Mission 21 where you have to listen to all the conversations between the target and the arms dealer. Took me over 2 hours and it was getting frustrating, but I was so glad that I finally did it. Anyone who really thinks that the mission and level designs are bad really need to try playing around with the missions or just quit gaming, honestly.

jg4xchamp

The gameplay and mission designs are fucking awesome. Me disliking Metal Gears story helped my cause, because it being shit again was just status quo to me ;p

AAMARMO

Banned
I recently 100% Ground Zero and thought why can't MGSV be like multiple area size like GZ or Hitman 2016 size of maps.

usp84

I think besides the obvious problems the game will be Remembered well mostly because of the amazing gameplay

MGSV is one of the finest games this generation. Mechanically, it's probably the best or close to being it.

I absolutely loved how it was setup and the sheer variety in the number of ways I could tackle missions.

Perhaps the thing I loved the most was being able to set arbitrary rules on my stealth missions and being to successfully execute on those rules. That to me, is the halmark of a truly great stealth game.

Chinner

Banned
Mechanically? It's the best in the series, and of 2015.

in terms of mission design and balance it's fairly repetitive and limited in scope. It has a structure in mind, and it will never go far from that. It doesn't help that there are no interesting environments. The mission design lets the game down as the games always follows the same beats, and the story is tone-deaf, and adds no real context or strong motivation for the player. The story is terrible, by the way.

If MGSV was 20-30 hours long, and not 50-60, I think it would have much better received. The game out stays it's welcome, and there is not enough variety to keep the game fresh.

The game tells a perfectly complete story, aside from the loose thread of Eli eloping with Sahelanthropus (what would've been Mission 51).

Chapter 2 should've been called "Epilogue," but it's fine for what it is — a series of tragedies that befall Venom and Kaz, following their unfulfilling revenge on Skull Face. It's their search for personal peace, a sense of purpose. As a postscript, it has this slice-of-life quality that I find novel. It's Venom slowly eroding, one loss after another. No cheesy heel turn. And then when he learns how he was used, you realize that the real Big Boss has compromised his principles, using soldiers as a means to an end. It's the fall of Big Boss, just not in the way we expected.

The repeat missions are optional challenges. I skipped them entirely (even though I hear they're fun) and simply continued doing side ops to unlock the new story missions. (Actually, I've since done the rematch with Quiet to unlock the Sniper Wolf outfit, and I s-ranked Code Talker [Extreme])

The more I play, the more I appreciate this gem of a game, story included.
Yeah, I had no real problem with the story.

It was a bit more streamlined than the previous games, but I thought it was perfectly satisfying, especially with how it ties into the rest of the series at the very end (which I totally missed, but I greatly admire it once I read about it in more detail).

I will say I didn't love most of the characters. Kaz being an asshole constantly got annoying, Ocelot was a shadow of his former self (pretty boring really), Venom Snake was practically a silent protagonist which I'm rarely a fan of, and I thought Silent was pretty eh. Huey was pretty much the only great one. Granted, I didn't listen to many if the audio tapes, and there does seem to be a TON more characterization in those, but just in terms of what you get in the main game, I wasn't impressed with much of the characters.

selo

Like everyone says, gameplay is awesome! I didn't mind the lack of story, I did mind however, that I had to redo side missions in order to unlock story missions in act 2, this prevented me from finishing the game (after 75hrs). I'd like to get back to it sometime

Lynx_7

My game of the generation so far. Granted, I'm still missing some big hits, but it'll take something really special to dethrone it.

dc89

Currently replaying the game and I think I'm enjoying it more the second time around because I know what to expect.
I was so hyped for the release of this game for a very long time and the hype was kinda underserved, but that was mainly down to myself.

The story obviously didn't get finished which is such a shame because there are incredible themes that just weren't explored enough. I enjoyed the writing too and Keifer performed well as Snake, he just wasn't given enough.

But the gameplay is outstanding and it's a trechnial marvel too.

Mogwai

- Great gameplay mechanics.
- Great looking environments and characters.
- Terrible story.
- Terrible pacing.

Didn't bother to finish it.

Psoelberg

The gameplay is absolutely amazing.

But unfortunately I didn't feel like I could use it for anything because of the open world and small, simple bases I had to sneak around in.

I often replay MGS:GZ and feel like it has the perfect balance between cut scenes, gameplay and level design. But because TPP fell short in having great level design and great storytelling I was left a bit disappointed.

Tekniqs

still haven't beaten it. Can't get the final missions to unlock =( lol

did all the previous missions (except the repeat ones) and all the yellow side missions...still nothing

Bedlam

Sold it after playing it for a couple of hours and finding it boring.

The game would've been much better with a number of Ground Zeroes-type scenarios instead of the drab open world and repetitive missions.

Tainted

I rated it #2 for 2015 and it was the very first MGS game I played (so the story and characters were lost on me).

I played it primarily for the gameplay and I was not disappointed. I thought the final act could have been fleshed out more but otherwise its a top game.

mulac

Got this on PC when I bought my Geforce980 last year as a free "bonus" with that purchase.

Still havent played it...because Witcher 3 happened.

tei15

First mainline MGS I couldn't be bothered to play to completion :(
I was so hyped about it, but the result ended up being so damn disappointing. I guess expecting a great story from MGS after MGS4 was a bit silly of me, but still, it was heartbreaking to see Snake reduced to a lifeless marionette for most of the game (even though there are of course story reasons to do so). Gameplay was impeccable but lack of mission variety killed it for me. It needed more diverse locations, more diverse task. Some missions were damn brilliant but overall, after trying to find reasons to love it (except for Quiet) for 40 hours I gave up.

Tried restarting it around May, played for maybe 4-5 hour and was amazed at how I managed to last for 40 hours the first time around.

Amazing gameplay makes up for a shit story, shit structure and repetitive environments. It's that fun to play.

If only we could have had it all in one package.

Roussow

It still plays so damn well, and even to this very day I can get creative with the systems and A.I and see new results and viable playstyles emerge. I've come to appreciate what is there of the story a lot more. Venom's character is fascinating, as is a lot of the interplay with Miller, Huey, Quiet, and Ocelot . It's downplayed from previous games but there's certainly content here and subtext to be derived. The Paz stuff in particular is bizarrely poignant by the end of it.

Great game, would love to get that 100% one day.

Chinner

Banned
The gameplay is absolutely amazing.

But unfortunately I didn't feel like I could use it for anything because of the open world and small, simple bases I had to sneak around in.

I often replay MGS:GZ and feel like it has the perfect balance between cut scenes, gameplay and level design. But because TPP fell short in having great level design and great storytelling I was left a bit disappointed.

Sold it after playing it for a couple of hours and finding it boring.

The game would've been much better with a number of Ground Zeroes-type scenarios instead of the drab open world and repetitive missions.

Ground Zeroes was a much better game, that's why. It has much more variety in mission design, and also side missions. Camp Omega is forever playable, and is memorable in its look. It also had limited weapon selection which prompted you to work within your limitations.

Fbh

The actual stealth gameplay was fantastic, easily the best in the franchise.

But I disliked almost everything else. Boring and underdeveloped story and characters, mostly boring or just average boss battles, terrible open world which is basically just a whole bunch of nothing with some military bases here and there. And mother base is still an annoying facebook-tier game mechanic

Raybunny

The game did not clash with me at the time of release, I do have to add that the destiny first expansion was on the go a couple weeks after so my mindset was not on MGSV.

1 year later I now am ready to tackle this beast same for The Witcher 3 where I fell short with only 40-50hours of gameplay.

For the small ammount of time that I gave MGSV I do have to agree that the gameplay was quite good.

SoulUnison

Banned
I had so much fun actually playing it, but I was also there for some Crazy MGS story, and the cutscenes are few and far between.

Coupled with the incredibly low number of actual environments and how sparse even 75% of those were, though, I made it a bit into Chapter 2 and just sort of...lost interest.

There were just so many places that, even as you were were play,and even as someone who hadn't closely followed the development cycle, it just felt like things were... missing.
Like, Mother Base is a lot of giant empty nothing, for the most part. There's tons of places that seem like they should do something or lead somewhere but don't.
Stuff you'd think would be cool unlockable equipment just ends up being assets for that lame "deployment" minigame.
Boss battles were scarce and disappointing.

There just needed to be "more" game. More content, more cutscenes, more weapons and gadgets and mission objectives and outpost types and so on and so on.

Its like they got the engine and the game's basic groundwork going, but then they ran out of time to actually make assets and do work on putting the vision in place, so you have a stitched together sort-of two-thirds of a game on a beautifully solid foundation.

Repetitive scenery/open world is the first thing that comes to mind when I think about MGS V.

Second one is: SUCH A LUST FOR REVENGE WHOOOOO?!

Has great gameplay, though. It's just a shame that it's awful in everything else it does.

Neiteio

Ground Zeroes was a much better game, that's why. It has much more variety in mission design, and also side missions. Camp Omega is forever playable, and is memorable in its look. It also had limited weapon selection which prompted you to work within your limitations.
I think GZ is a bit overrated. Camp Omega is the entire game, so people have explored it more. Personally, it's marred by the fact I feel compelled to rescue all of the prisoners near Chico, which kills the pacing. I've come to prefer Masa Village/Mfinda Oilfield (Pitch Dark), Lufwa Valley (Code Talker) and Bampeve Plantation/Kungenga Mine (Blood Runs Deep), followed by OKB Zero and Qarya Sakhra Ee.

ZangBa

I love the game, but I tried to get back into it for S ranks and got immediately sidetracked and overwhelmed by FOB nonsense and developments.

MGSV consumed my life, and continues to do so to this day.

Alongside Fast Racing Neo, MGSV has basically justified the existence of the current generation of gaming for me. I can't stop playing it. I've already bought it on PC and Xbox One (though I sold that one along with the console), and if I end up buying a PS4 Slim or Neo, I will most likely triple-dip. If NX really is a powerful handheld, an NX would make my life complete.

Unlike many others, I think the story is absolutely wonderful, even without Episode 51.
Many of the things that happen in the game are directly related to Big Boss himself. "War can never lead to peace", "You can't run from yourself forever", "Dissociative Identity Disorder and Dissociative Amnesia"...
Also, through playing the game, I have experienced first hand what the promo materials meant by "Where men become Demons" and how Big Boss' descent to "evil" really happened:
You fight, and disarm, and fight, and disarm, all to finally achieve peace, but peace never comes. Eventually you just give up and start hoarding nukes like everyone else, in a race to become the strongest.
The team mentioned that FOB/Disarmament was a "social experiment" during some interviews, and it's brilliant.

IDK man, I just love this game so much.

Impeccable MGS stealth and TPS gameplay, probably won't be topped by any other game this gen.

Of course everyone knows the story was pretty poor and not what I want from an MGS storyline. I tapped after Mission 33 or whatever when they make you repeat side ops. Is there anymore story after this?

I never understood the Mission 51 is missing requests so I do want to dip back into the game to understand the complaints.

Best playing metal game but mission variety wasn't the best and story was disappointing. have had no interest going back to it since my first completion of the game.

Love the mechanics, highly disappointed with everything else. Locations, narrative, characters, missions, mother base, fulton, etc. all bored the hell out of me. Put around 15 hours into it and felt like I was sleepwalking through at least 10 of them. Then I put it down and never went back. I expected to be disappointed when I realized not a single trailer or gameplay demonstration was actually making me excited, but the game managed to go lower than my lowest expectations. I completely understand why the people that love it do, but MGSV, for me, will go down as one of the bigger missteps I've ever played.

Neiteio

OléGunner;215602105 said:
Impeccable MGS stealth and TPS gameplay, probably won't be topped by any other game this gen.

Of course everyone knows the story was pretty poor and not what I want from an MGS storyline. I tapped after Mission 33 or whatever when they make you repeat side ops. Is there anymore story after this?

I never understood the Mission 51 is missing requests so I do want to dip back into the game to understand the complaints.
Yes, some of the best story moments in the series come after where you left off. You don't have to do any repeat missions. Just do side ops and the new story missions will unlock.

Yes, some of the best story moments in the series come after where you left off. You don't have to do any repeat missions. Just do side ops and the new story missions will unlock.

Thanks mate.
I knew I left off a bit early, just got a little burnt out and a glut of other games distracted me. It'll be nice to come back to the game after quite a long break.

ramyeon

The whole mission with
going into the quarantined area of Mother Base and then having to kill your own men on the way out
was ridiculously powerful for me. One of the best moments in the game.

This was my first Metal Gear Solid game (aside from Ground Zero) and people warned me about the convoluted story. So I read up on everything that happened, expecting a crazy rollercoaster ride.

The prologue was interesting (not really good though) but from there on it went all downhill. If you can't back up your gameplay with some proper context then it's really not a game for me. I was very surprised at some reviewers (notably Gamespot) gushing over the story when there wasn't really anything happening.

The open world felt flat and walled off and didn't really serve any purpose in terms of gameplay, storytelling or exploration. I loved the intricate level of Ground Zeroes and I expected more of the same in MGS V.

Still, I had fun with the 20-30 hours that I played but ultimately it was my biggest disappointment of 2015.

I still don't believe that the lack of cutscenes was intentional. There had to have been some kind of development disaster.

Also this games perfect game play deserves better bossfights.

Hell, replaying any previous game's boss fights with MGSV's fluidity would be unreal.

Xiraiya

It's like this for me.

- The gameplay foundation is arguably unrivaled in how good it feels and how satisfying it is even now
- The message Kojima was trying to get across is not what I wanted for the end of this series and I think that's the biggest problem, I respect what he was trying to do. I think "most" of the story is pretty fantastic for what it is and I like Venom more and more overtime as a concept. But the truth remains that I never wanted a meta message or ending, I wanted to watch Big Boss's journey into hell as he built Foxhound and Outer Heaven, it's really that simple, but apparently that's not what Kojima wanted.

- It still looks pretty goddamn incredible, it's not as pretty as something like Witcher, but it's artstyle and lighting comes together in a way that looks more impressive than pretty much most things I've ever played

- I had alot of fun exploring the open world collecting stuff and listening to casettes, it was very immersive for an open world setting that didn't have much going on, they needed to flesh that stuff out more over time, it was never dangerous enough, I wanted it to be a case of finding so many vehicles and platoons and enemies organizing, changing and patrolling so on, that you'd rarely get a moment to breath while traversing the wildeness, it was way too easy after awhile, you needed to be nearly always at risk of being hunted down for the free roam to really shine.

- The FOB system in hindsight might be the biggest disappointment, the foundation behind that concept is amazing and invading lower level FOBs is actually really fun, but the microtransaction side of developing and building FOBs into an impenetrable fortress and how it's handled is just really bad. I love having an FOB and I like doing event stuff every few months, but I hate how everything works, every FOB is virtually the same once you max everything out.

- I had alot of fun with MGO on PC and I feel like the MGSV Gameplay and Fox Engine needs to find a way to build a service that continues to expand and get updated, I wanted MGO to get really REALLY crazy (Like the supposed Solid Snake concept art an different metal gear vehicle things that were planned for MGO) in the characters and features you could play as, and I wanted that stuff to find ways to funnel back into MGSV.

JawzPause

It's a combination of being the best gameplay of the series and the worst story of the series. It's still one of my favorite games this gen, after Bloodborne

TedMilk

Best game of 2015, and one of my favourite games ever. Amazing sandbox gameplay. Perfect controls, smooth framerate.

Minus points are the constant waiting for things to be built/upgraded, the disjointed and incomplete story, and the ridiculous (albeit optional) animal collecting side mission.

Canadian

I just started playing the game yesterday. The intro is conpletely different to the main game and was a little off putting. That has to be one of the most violent openings I've seen. Once the game opened up I've been having a great time. Really love the stealth and building up the base.

The only other MGS game I've played is Peace Walker for 5 hours.

Top Bottom